ASA 9.0.0 and 9.0.2 On the Same Computer

Is it possible to maintain two versions of ASA on the same
computer? I need to have 9.0.0 and 9.0.2 on the same server.
0
Art

Do you want to run both versions at the same time?

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

<Art Cruz> wrote in message news:449a7dd4.2791.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Is it possible to maintain two versions of ASA on the same
> computer? I need to have 9.0.0 and 9.0.2 on the same server.

0
Reg
6/22/2006 12:54:15 PM
Possible yes, but you need to make sure you:

1) Have two separate install locations and use full path to proper
executable
2) Keep Shared component separate for each install.

You will not be able to use environment variables like %ASANY9%.

--
Joshua Savill
iAnywhere Solutions - Product Support Analyst

*Register now for TechWave 2006 August 6-10 in Las Vegas. New! 2-day and
4-day options for SQL Anywhere technical training. Sessions will focus on
data management, data movement, and SQL Anywhere 10. Visit
www.sybase.com/techwave

<Art Cruz> wrote in message news:449a7dd4.2791.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Is it possible to maintain two versions of ASA on the same
> computer? I need to have 9.0.0 and 9.0.2 on the same server.

0
Joshua
6/22/2006 12:56:30 PM
> Do you want to run both versions at the same time?

No ... they will never run at the same time.  The 9.0.0
engine will hit 9.0.0 databases while 9.0.2 will hit 9.0.2
databases.

> --
> Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
> Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer
> Version 8 Please reply only to the newsgroup
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer iAnywhere Documentation
> : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals ASA
> Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
>    -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
>    -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"
>

> <Art Cruz> wrote in message
> > news:449a7dd4.2791.1681692777@sybase.com... Is it
> > possible to maintain two versions of ASA on the same
> computer? I need to have 9.0.0 and 9.0.2 on the same
> server.

0
Art
6/22/2006 1:09:46 PM
I have 8 different versions of SQL Anywhere/ASA on my computer, and have
never run an install.  I have batch files I run that set up the environment
properly, but getting DBISQL and Sybase Central to run is pretty tricky,
since you need to modify a bunch of registry settings whenever you switch
from one version to the other.  This isn't something I'd recommend to
someone without access to the SQL Anywhere source code.

What I find works quite well on my test machines is the following :

1) Install the lowest GA version of the software that you plan to use (for
example, 9.0.0 GA) in the default install directory of c:\Program
Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9.  When asked for the location of the Shared
directory, specify a directory BENEATH c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere
9 ( for example c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\Shared ).  Install
everything you possibly can.
2) Once 900 GA is installed copy "c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9" to
"c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 900.ga".
3) Install the latest 9.0.0 EBF into the default location.  Make sure you
specify the same shared directory if asked for it's location.
4) Once the 900 EBF is installed copy "c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere
9" to "c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 900.ebf".
5) Install the v902 GA software in the same location, using the same
directory locations.
6) Once 900 GA is installed copy "c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9" to
"c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 902.ga".
7) Install the latest 9.0.2 EBF into the default location.  Make sure you
specify the same shared directory if asked for it's location.

You now have a directory structure that looks something like :

c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9
c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 902.ga
c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 900.ga
c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 900.ebf

You are currently using the latest 902 EBF.  If you want to switch to a
different version :

1) Stop all ASA Processes
2) Rename c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9 to c:\Program
Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 902.ebf
3) Rename c:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 900.ebf to c:\Program
Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9

You are now using the latest v900 EBF.

Your shortcuts should all work, since the location of all the executable
never changes, just the version of the executables.  Your PATH and ASANY9
environment never need to change, since the location of your binaries never
change.

The paranoid amongst the group can also keep each EBF they've ever installed
on their machine as well, so you can easily switch between different EBF
versions within the same minor release if you want.

--

<Art Cruz> wrote in message news:449a969a.28d2.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> Do you want to run both versions at the same time?
>>

> No ... they will never run at the same time.  The 9.0.0
> engine will hit 9.0.0 databases while 9.0.2 will hit 9.0.2
> databases.
>

>> --
>> Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
>> Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer
>> Version 8 Please reply only to the newsgroup
>>
>> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer iAnywhere Documentation
>> : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals ASA
>> Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
>>    -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
>>    -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"
>>

>> <Art Cruz> wrote in message
>> > news:449a7dd4.2791.1681692777@sybase.com... Is it
>> > possible to maintain two versions of ASA on the same
>> computer? I need to have 9.0.0 and 9.0.2 on the same
>> server.

0
Reg
6/22/2006 1:30:25 PM
Is there a particular reason you want to use 9.0.0 software? The 9.0.2
software will work on databases created with 9.0.0.

I'm just curious. Because all the software file names are the *same*
for all variations of 9, there is a good chance that simple errors
will cause the wrong version to be executed if the paths are omitted
or incorrect or the PATH is used.

Here's my guess: you have field installations of both versions, and
you want to test stuff locally using the exact same stuff... THAT'S a
good reason IMO.

Breck

--
Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services

9.0.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2
My shop is moving to PB9 and is about to deploy with 9.0.0 build 5507. How stable is this runtime environment? I assume 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 are better, but that isn't always the case. I'd like to convince folks here that going out with a .0 release is a bit risky, but I haven't found any issues with 9.0.0 yet that require us to go with 9.0.1 or 9.0.2. Should I feel comfortable that 9.0.0 is fine, or are there solid reasons to go with 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 that I haven't found yet? I'd go with the 9.0.1 release - the latest EBF. I haven't personally taken 9.0.2 for ...

Upgrading from 9.0.0 to 9.0.2
We are planning to upgrade from 9.0.0 to 9.0.2. The documentation states that we just need to run dbupgrad and then archive the transaction log and start a new one if we do some replication. Is it as easy as this? I can just rename the transaction log and then delete it. Could you share your experience if you have done this already? We are concerned that we will have problems with synchronization when we do this upgrade. Rey Valera wrote in news:45b896ef.3028.1681692777@sybase.com of sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink: RV> We are planning to upgrade from 9.0.0 to 9.0.2. ...

Swedish Firefox 0.9, 0.9.1, 0.9.2
Hi, PLEASE NOTE: The Swedish l10n page has moved to http://www.mozilla.se/ This has been previously posted on this list and to mlp-staff, with no reply or update of the mlp status pages. Thus, i repeat: Please update your links! The Swedish (sv-SE) l10n group has releasted language packs and localized builds for Windows and Linux of the Firefox 0.9 versions. Due to the security issues, Windows version prior to 0.9.2 have been removed. These language packs are considered stable and tested. Firefox 0.9.2 pack: http://www.mozilla.se/paket/firefox-0.9.2-svSE.xpi Firefox 0....

Versions 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.10
Name: Bert Royden Email: walldiveratyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Versions 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.10 Comments: I downloaded the .10 version and immediately was unable to open any pdf web pages. I've gotten rid of version .10, but I have no idea where to redownload 2.0.0.9. There should be an easy place on your website to download previous versions of Firefox. Sincerely, Bert Royden Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1) ...

2.0.0.9 versus 2.0.0.16
Name: Danny Eaton Email: dannyeatonatricedotedu Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.9 versus 2.0.0.16 Comments: When I am running v 2.0.0.9, I have no problems. When Firefox AUTOMATICALLY UPGRADES to 2.0.0.16 (without having asked me if I want to), I have problems with Flash (on my wireless control server), and JAVA. I then have to uninstall flash, java, and Firefox 2.0.0.16, then reinstall 2.0.0.9, then flash and java. Huge pain in the ass. Why can't it just ask me if I want to upgrade, and if I say no, leave me alone? The problem only happens on this laptop, and 2.0.0...

Issue with Upgrade from 9.0.0 to 9.0.2
I was wondering if you can help me with this issue that we experienced when we upgraded one of the ASA database that we are synchronizing from 9.0.0 to 9.0.2. The name of the database file is core5.db and the log is core5.log. After I ran the dbupgrad utility, I copied the core5.log file to the same folder and named it core51.log then I deleted the core5.log file. I got this error message in the attached log when I tried to synchronize. I. 01/31 10:32:54. Begin synchronizing 'ScopePub' for MobiLink user 'user1' I. 01/31 10:32:55. Log scan starting at offset 00004...

Does ODAC 9.2.0.7.0 work with Oracle database version 9i 9.2.0.6.0 using VS2005?
I am using VS2005 and need to connect to an Oracle database. The Oracle database version is Oracle 9i 9.2.0.6.0 I have taken a look at the Oracle site (http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html). I can download the Oracle Data Access Component - Oracle9i Release 2 ODAC 9.2.0.7.0, but will this work with our current Oracle database version 9i 9.2.0.6.0 ? Any help appreciated. Regards, Paul. Apsolutely.Install it, it will work w/o problems. Regards,Dejan VesićMCAD for .Net technologies | http://www.vesic.org/english/ | Blog: http://www.vesic.org...

Problems connecting ASA 9.0.0 on SuSE 9.0
Hi, I found several threads about this, but it's still not running :-( What's working: - all IP-connections are OK with IP-address and host-name - the db-server is starting: I. 03/28 00:36:31. Database server started at Sun Mar 28 2004 00:36 I. 03/28 00:36:31. Trying to start SharedMemory link ... I. 03/28 00:36:31. SharedMemory link started successfully I. 03/28 00:36:31. Trying to start TCPIP link ... I. 03/28 00:36:31. Starting TCP listener on IP address 0.0.0.0:2638 I. 03/28 00:36:31. Starting on port 2638 I. 03/28 00:36:31. Looking for serve...

chasing ASA 9.0.0 ODBC driver, must be PRE 9.0.0 ebf 1226
hi all, i am chasing un-updated odbc driver files (i assume DBODBC9.DLL plus related files) in an attempt to find a way to connect an old power++ app to ASA V9. I am using psdwe.ocx v5.0.3.1. Apparently this will work with 9.0.0 odbc driver files prior to ebf 1226. is there anywhere these older files can be found in the absence of an original 9.0.0 release CD? cheers, Luke You can certainly find that EBF on the downloads site (you may have to expand the timeframe to all and refresh the list). However, it will not install older files over newer files so you will nee...

Google Tools Not Working in 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.10
Name: Damein Henry Email: dfhenryatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Google Tools Not Working in 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.10 Comments: Google Browser sync and Google Toolbar for Firefox do not work in the last two releases. Is this going to be fixed? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.10) Gecko/20071115 Firefox/2.0.0.10 ...

Differences in interpretation of JavaScript 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.10
Name: Ivan Email: e1atwingdotsk Product: Firefox Summary: Differences in interpretation of JavaScript 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.10 Comments: I have found the differences between versions of 2.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.10 with interpretation of JS. What works in .9, in .10 doesn't work at all. See button-like images which overrides normal images in HTML, using javascript classes: Example at: glossy.netzgesta.de in 2.0.0.9 it works perfectly (same in IE and Opera) in 2.0.0.10 doesn't works... :-( there must be some bug(s) in 2.0.0.10 nice day Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windo...

SSL disabled (?) after install of 2.0.0.6 AND 2.0.0.9
Name: David L. Mohn Email: ultramohnatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: SSL disabled (?) after install of 2.0.0.6 AND 2.0.0.9 Comments: I've been using FF 2.0 on a Chinese Win 98se system for some time. Last month, I decided to upgrade to 2.0.0.6. After installing and reopening, I received this related message saying that there was difficulty with the security options and that SSL had been disabled. After checking SSL settings and finding that they were actually NOT disabled, I checked Mozillazine forums and tried my best to fix the prob. No such luck. I return...

ASA Upgrade from 9.0.1 to 9.0.2
HI, I just upgraded my 9.0.1 developers edition ASA to 9.0.2 using the EBF downloaded from on-line. It worked fine except that now all my licensing information is gone so that I'm down to 1 unlicensed user. What can I do to solve this. Thanks, Jonathan Jonathan, The dblic utility will solve your problem. You can find all the information in the documentation: ASA Database Administration Guide Database Administration Utilities The License utility Managing licenses using the dblic command-line utility -- Joshua Savill iAnywhere Solutions - Produc...

EASY QUESTION! Upgrading 9.0.0 to 9.0.2 question
Here's a quick and easy one for you: I am upgrading SQL Anywhere (on redhat 9) from version 9.0.0.1120 to 9.0.2 using the maintenence release, plus the express bug fix to bring me to build 3169. My question: although the server resides on linux, our clients access it via Win98. What do I need to download and install to update the client / isql / sql central on Win98? Please post to newsgroup. Thanks! Jason Boardman Jason, Provided you have already installed the ASA 9.0.0 Network database client components (ISQL and Sybase Central) on the Windows 98 machine, it is n...

Web resources about - ASA 9.0.0 and 9.0.2 On the Same Computer - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Computer Show

Donald Trump says he will force Apple to build its “computers and things” in the United States
... told the audience at Liberty University that to bring manufacturing jobs back to the United States he would make Apple “build their damn computers ...

The BBC's computer chip for kids was meant to 'kickstart a coding revolution' — but it keeps getting ...
In 2012 the BBC decided to produce a computer chip that would teach children how to code. But now, almost four years after the announcement of ...

Asustek Computer pushing new motherboard series for China
To expand its presence in the motherboard market, Asustek Computer is reportedly planning a new sub-brand, Red Flag, targeting mainly the entry-level ...

DARPA wants to build wetware so we can mind control computers
... on Tuesday that it is interested in developing wetware implantable brain-machine interfaces (BMI) that will allow their users to control computers ...

Zebra TC8000 Handheld Rugged Computer Gets Ergonomic Redesign
Zebra Technologies has redesigned its latest rugged handheld mobile computer to make it easier to use, while reducing wrist strain for workers. ...

Donald Trump To Make America Poorer By Getting Apple To Make Their Computers ...
Forbes Donald Trump To Make America Poorer By Getting Apple To Make Their Computers ... Forbes US Republican presidential candidate Donald ...

Earlier in this month, a computer in Missouri, part of the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search, dis
Earlier in this month, a computer in Missouri, part of the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search , discovered the largest known prime number: ...