Adding new field to table

Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 and NT 4.0 with about 30 users on the network,
when I add a new field to a table should I tell everyone to get off the
network?
0
Rick

Rick Charnes wrote:

> Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 and NT 4.0 with about 30 users on the network,
> when I add a new field to a table should I tell everyone to get off the
> network?

They can be on the network, but they should probably log out of the
database. If any user has a cursor open to the table you are attempting
to alter, the database engine will raise an error message telling you
that [name of logged in user] has the table locked.

As a general practice, it's a good idea to get all users of out the
database when you are performing changes to database objects (DDL stuff,
updating stored procs, etc.).

Kathleen
0
Kathleen
2/10/2000 8:27:35 PM
My opinion is an emphatic "Clear the server, I'm making BIG changes".
I've screwed up a production database before by making changes while the
users were in.  This was a few years ago and I'm sure that what ever
problem I encountered has been fixed, but it pays to be careful.  You
want the users out of the database for two reasons:
1) So you can cleanly and quickly back it up first,
2) So you can get the changes done more quickly without the users getting
in your way.
3) So you don't get in the users way.

Some changes, like adding users, are OK to run with everyone on the
system.  Structure changes, IMO, are best left to times when only the dba
is logged in.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
eganjp

Adding a new field to a table with image field
Hi, I have a concern about adding a new field to a table with image field - which is huge. Will there be a problem with some databases, where they have a hard time locating data correctly after such a large field? Previously this happened to me, and what was advised to put all the big fields at the end of the table. Thanks.   I have not heard of such impact caused by the order of columns. When SQL search table to locate a row, it either uses table scan (when no index exists on the table) from the IAM page, or utilize indexes (clusetered/nonclustered)...

Adding new tables and fields to ASPNETDB and create new user wizard
I'm trying to add a new table and some fields like FirstName and LastName the the aspnetdb.mdb, so when my users register I can collect that information also. I have managed to create a 2nd table with UserID, firstname and lastname. I can get the unique userid to work in my new table but the firstname and lastname fields give me the error message below. I have modified the stored procedure aspnet_Membership_CreateUser to add in firstname and lastname. I have also created a view as with the other tables in the database. What am I missing? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Than...

Adding new field into TT_User table
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help? I've added an extra field "Departments" into TT_User table and would like to be able to view the departments just like the roles column on Users Administration page. Can anyone, please tell me, which pages need to be changed in the Time Tracker project? 1. make change in add_user,update_user storeprosedure 2. use a text box or dropdown to enter department on user details form] 3. On click event of Save in UserDetails.aspx Write Usr.Department = Department.SelectedItem.Value similarly make required change on required ...

Error in data when adding a new field to a Table
Hello all... Sybase 5.5 I have a problem when adding a field to a table, when the field is created the data seems to move to another field (only in some records). The table has 44 fields (varchar and numeric), no primary key but 5 foreign keys and 128,795 records. I have validated the database and it reports no errors, I had intented too to pass the data to a new structure and validate it, it reports no errors too. But when adding the field the data moves again. As extra information I can insert more rows in the database with no problem, and I can add columns to another tab...

Help Needed About Adding new fields in aspnet_membership table
Hi, i am using the starte kit for classified site.i wish to add few more fields in aspnet_membership table and save values to the field. say for example i wish to add company field there at the time of new user registration. i am able to add it in table. but how to save that value in table when user register. any kind of help is most welcome. thanks in advance. Niket. http://forums.asp.net/t/1177317.aspx would help you.. moreover you can completely have custom forms do this using custom code (lot of work though [:-)])  Thanks and RegardsS.K.Vignesh----------------------Do r...

Contact Module
Using: SqlDataProvider I added two new fields in the Contacts tabel to allow me a different Sequence Order and a Tab'ing Value so I can indent the Contact members when I display them on the Contact page. New Contacts table fields: SeqNum = SmallInt, Default_Value=0 TabNum = TinyInt, Default_Value=0 I modified... web forms: Contacts.ascx & EditContacts.ascx stored proc: GetContact & UpdateContact I modified SqlDataProvider.vb with the following: --- Public Overrides Function AddContact(ByVal ModuleId As Integer, ByVal UserName As Strin...

How to update dataset (xsd) if a new field was added into based table?
I created dataset object from "Add new item" named it as myOrder.xsd. It is based a table Order. How to update myOrder.xsd if a new field was added into Order? I have to delete myOrder.xsd and then re-create it. It is kind of stupid  way. I'm afraid that stupid way is the only way.There is no conveient way in vs.net to synchronize them. hi, I think you can first update the dataset, and use the dataset up the database refer to this post update a database from a DataSet object http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307587Jessica CaoSincerely,Microsoft Online Co...

Delphi 7 DBCheckBox not seeing new field added to Paradox table
I have been tasked with adding three logical fields to an existing paradox DB table. That was easy using Delphi Database Desktop, modify structure. The next task is to add these three fields to the form. I opened the form, added three DBCheckBox fields to the form, changed the display text, selected the correct Dataset (DSN1), and then tried to add the field name to DataField property: I could not see my three new fields in the pull down list. So, I verified that the Dataset could see these new fields by looking at the FieldDefs property: I saw the three new fields in the FieldDefs pr...

Create new Table
Hi, I create new database access with Web Matrix Wizard (microsoft access is not installed in my pc) and later I create new table with Data Wizard "Create new Table" but later inserted table name "prova", Web Matrix Wizard response: Error adding table The Error Description is in Italian: Il tipo di valore utilizzato dall'applicazione non è valido per l'operazione corrente. Help! I receive an error which I believe is the same. The message in English, in case it is useful to anyone, is: "Application uses a value of the wrong type for the curre...

Adding a new row to a table for each new user
I have a table using SQL server, which has 4 fields DetailsID - int UserID linked to the UserID in aspnet_users table FirstName Surname I would like to automatically add a line into this table when a new user is created, so that the table can be updated by the user, with an edit only DetailView.  Could someone tell me how to automatically add a new row to a table, when a new user is created? Thanks in advance How are you creating a new user?  If you are using the CreateUserWizard to create a new user, then you can use the CreatedUser event of the Wizard to create a new row...

adding new field to "Field Definition File"
We have a whole web app that's been given to us to "make work", and unfortunately the reporting side never did in the first place. The original version of the reports are using a .ttx file, and the recordset is built dynamically.  I'm trying to add new field to the .ttx file, and while opening it in Dreamweaver, the new memo field is there.  If I do a "Verify Database" in Crystal XI, then the new memo field never shows up. Do I have to recreate this new .ttx file from scratch just to add one more field?  Hope not....... Thanks!...

Adding new content to a table by refering other tables using SQL
I keep product name, id in Table1. I keep Category name, id in Table2. I keep relation between product and category (product_id, category_id) in Table3. I have added some products to the table with proper category. Work fine But for some products I did not specified any category (ie their id  is not present  in Table3) But now I want all such products (ie all products whose category is nothing)  To be associated with category_id 10   Can I do this  simply with SQL queries?   Hope u can help me   sujith Hello sujith! UPDATE [TableName] -- ...

adding new fields
hi there, i am trying to develope a create user wizardbut i need to add an extra field such as Firstname, i did find out that one can modify the wizard template but where i do have to make the change so that this value is written into the database (along with the other ones)  Also, i want to get a field value after the user is created, how does one achieve this with the login controls in asp.net 2.0 can someone please help with this! thanks in advance!  Ashwin there some Articles and Tutorials on our website see and let us know if it help you. Create User Profile in the Re...

Adding a new Table
I am tinkering around and I have added a new table (TT_Clients) to store a list of clients and I created a stored procedure (TT_ListAllClients) to return the contents of the table. I built these very similar to the tables and procedures that already exist in the Time Tracker application. They have the same owner as the existing tables and procedures "dbo". I call it using the following command... DataSet ds = SqlHelper.ExecuteDataset(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings[Web.Global.CfgKeyConnString], CommandType.StoredProcedure, "TT_ListAllClients"); Whe...

Web resources about - Adding new field to table - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Adding machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An adding machine was a class of mechanical calculator , usually specialized for bookkeeping calculations. In the United States, the earliest ...

Is Facebook Adding Results From Five-Star Ratings System To Pages?
Facebook appears to be testing the inclusion of results of its five-star ratings system directly under the names of the pages and above their ...

FACEBOOK KEEPS ADDING FRIENDS THAT I NEVER REQUESTED O BE FRIENDS. SOME OF THE PEOPLE THEY ARE REQUESTING ...

Adding Support for Incoming App Links on iOS
Learn how to implement support for receiving incoming App Links for iOS.

Facebook Adding App Bookmark Reordering to the Home Page Soon
Since the new Facebook home page launched a few weeks ago - making a few application bookmarks more prominent on the home page - one of the usability ...

CSS3 : What is the best method for adding 2x images to webpages that will be displayed on the new iPad ...
Answer (1 of 14): WebKit deals in logical pixels and a device pixel ratio to render stuff. It knows nothing about the physical pixels of the ...

VidReverse-Reverse Video by controlling video speed and by adding your own music to video easily on the ...
Get VidReverse-Reverse Video by controlling video speed and by adding your own music to video easily on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, ...

Adding weight - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Army Spc. David Helton, Company A, 2nd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, puts more weight on the barbell at Combat Outpost Apache in Wardak ...

Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic. - YouTube
On July 3, 2008 the day before Independence Day Barack Obama said that adding $4 trillion in debt was irresponsible and "unpatriotic. Obama: ...

Adding new airs and graces
Airports have finally recognised that they need some new tricks to keep their passengers satisfied.