5.5 Speed Problem

We have two users at the same site connecting, in single user mode, to a
database.  The users have identical PCs running NT 4.0 SP5.  All queries on
one of the PCs run approximately 7 times slower that on the other PC.   The
application is written in Power++.  We are running SQL Anywhere 5.5.03 build
1666.

All other programs run on both PCs at the same speed.

The two users have identical ODBC dlls.

Netbios has been disabled on both PCs.

The PCs have identical background tasks running.

Accessing the database on the local PC, rather than the network, does not
affect performance.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jim Jankowski

0
Jim

Is this the same physical database for both PC's?  IOW, one PC is hosting
the database file and each PC runs a database engine to connect to the
database file.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
7/25/2000 3:58:58 AM
They are connecting to the same physical database located on a network.

Jim Egan <dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> Is this the same physical database for both PC's?  IOW, one PC is hosting
> the database file and each PC runs a database engine to connect to the
> database file.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Houston, TX
> http://www.eganomics.com
>
> Sybase Developers Network
> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
Jim
7/25/2000 12:35:53 PM
One possible clue is that when accessing the database, the slow PC's C:
drive starts spinning like crazy (the database and program both reside on
the network.)  We were not able to determine what was being accessed or why
.... they do not have an NT System Monitor program as I do under '98 ... it
did not appear as though the pagefile usage changed during the database
accesses.  Both PCs have 128MB, only 70MB of which seems to be used.

We updated the PCs to 5.5.04 build 1867 today with no change in speed.

Jim Egan <dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> Is this the same physical database for both PC's?  IOW, one PC is hosting
> the database file and each PC runs a database engine to connect to the
> database file.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Houston, TX
> http://www.eganomics.com
>
> Sybase Developers Network
> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
Jim
7/25/2000 7:51:54 PM
What does Task Manager say about the slow NT box? (right mouse on task
bar)

Breck

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:51:54 -0400, "Jim Jankowski" <jimj@dartex.com>
wrote:

>One possible clue is that when accessing the database, the slow PC's C:
>drive starts spinning like crazy (the database and program both reside on
>the network.)  We were not able to determine what was being accessed or why
>... they do not have an NT System Monitor program as I do under '98 ... it
>did not appear as though the pagefile usage changed during the database
>accesses.  Both PCs have 128MB, only 70MB of which seems to be used.
>
>We updated the PCs to 5.5.04 build 1867 today with no change in speed.
>

>Jim Egan <dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
>> Is this the same physical database for both PC's?  IOW, one PC is hosting
>> the database file and each PC runs a database engine to connect to the
>> database file.
>> --
>> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
>> Houston, TX
>> http://www.eganomics.com
>>
>> Sybase Developers Network
>> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
NOSPAM__bcarter
7/25/2000 8:07:42 PM
Jim Jankowski wrote:

> One possible clue is that when accessing the database, the slow PC's C:
> drive starts spinning like crazy (the database and program both reside on
> the network.)  [snip]

!! BAD IDEA !! - don't _ever_ put your database file on a non-local disk.
If you do, there is no guarentee that your data will not become corrupted
due to network glitches and traffic patterns.  Also, there is no guarentee
that the database will be recoverable if the engine goes down dirty (power
loss, network down, etc).

BTW: I suspect that your C drive is "spinning" because the engine will be
using a temp file in your "TMP" or "TEMP" directory (which likely resides
on your C drive).

Mark
0
Mark
7/25/2000 10:18:56 PM
Task Manager says CPU usage is no more than 25% ... what else should we be
looking at?

Breck Carter <NOSPAM__bcarter@bcarter.com> wrote in message
> What does Task Manager say about the slow NT box? (right mouse on task
> bar)
>
> Breck
>
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:51:54 -0400, "Jim Jankowski" <jimj@dartex.com>
> wrote:
>
> >One possible clue is that when accessing the database, the slow PC's C:
> >drive starts spinning like crazy (the database and program both reside on
> >the network.)  We were not able to determine what was being accessed or
why
> >... they do not have an NT System Monitor program as I do under '98 ...
it
> >did not appear as though the pagefile usage changed during the database
> >accesses.  Both PCs have 128MB, only 70MB of which seems to be used.
> >
> >We updated the PCs to 5.5.04 build 1867 today with no change in speed.

0
Jim
7/26/2000 12:25:11 PM
Is it using all the memory? What task is using the most CPU? Use Find
File to find all the most-recently-updated files on your C: drive to
see if that yields any clues as to what's getting pounded.

Also, please describe your setup: what is the engine command line and
on what machine are you running it; what is the path to the database,
etcetera... don't assume anyone goes and re-reads old messages on this
newsgroup :)

Breck

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:25:11 -0400, "Jim Jankowski" <jimj@dartex.com>
wrote:

>Task Manager says CPU usage is no more than 25% ... what else should we be
>looking at?
>
>Breck Carter <NOSPAM__bcarter@bcarter.com> wrote in message
>> What does Task Manager say about the slow NT box? (right mouse on task
>> bar)
>>
>> Breck
>>
>> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:51:54 -0400, "Jim Jankowski" <jimj@dartex.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >One possible clue is that when accessing the database, the slow PC's C:
>> >drive starts spinning like crazy (the database and program both reside on
>> >the network.)  We were not able to determine what was being accessed or
>why
>> >... they do not have an NT System Monitor program as I do under '98 ...
>it
>> >did not appear as though the pagefile usage changed during the database
>> >accesses.  Both PCs have 128MB, only 70MB of which seems to be used.
>> >
>> >We updated the PCs to 5.5.04 build 1867 today with no change in speed.

0
NOSPAM__bcarter
7/26/2000 1:06:22 PM
Jim Jankowski <jimj@dartex.com> wrote in message
> the network.)  We were not able to determine what was being accessed or
why
> ... they do not have an NT System Monitor program as I do under '98 ... it

You might want to check out http://www.sysinternals.com/
They have all kinds of useful utilities for NT and Win9x. My favorites
include filemon (monitor all filesystem access), regmon (monitor registry
access), HandleEx (monitor handle usage by processes), ListDLLs (list DLLs
and version numbers in use by running tasks), PMon (process and thread
monitor), and TDIMon (monitor network traffic).

Regards,
--
Ivan Bowman

0
Ivan
7/26/2000 1:25:10 PM
o you have ODBC tracing ON on that machine?

Jim Jankowski wrote:

> One possible clue is that when accessing the database, the slow PC's C:
> drive starts spinning like crazy (the database and program both reside on
> the network.)  We were not able to determine what was being accessed or why
> ... they do not have an NT System Monitor program as I do under '98 ... it
> did not appear as though the pagefile usage changed during the database
> accesses.  Both PCs have 128MB, only 70MB of which seems to be used.
>
> We updated the PCs to 5.5.04 build 1867 today with no change in speed.
>
> Jim Egan <dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> > Is this the same physical database for both PC's?  IOW, one PC is hosting
> > the database file and each PC runs a database engine to connect to the
> > database file.
> > --
> > Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> > Houston, TX
> > http://www.eganomics.com
> >
> > Sybase Developers Network
> > http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Al

SQLAnywhere 5.5.04ebf(1868), 5.5.05
Hello! I have recieved message from "owner-inews-tech-sqlanywhere@sybase.com" with Subject "Delphi users". Where can I obtain new ebf(s)? I found only 5.5.03 in the Software library. (http://support.sybase.com/esd/sqlany.html) ==== Subject: Bug Fix / Enhancement (PTrack 479443) - .... Summary: Delphi can't insert Blobs > 32k - SQLBindParameter only inserted the first 32k of a given buffer. Versions affected: 5.5.x Versions fixed: 5.5.04ebf(1868), 5.5.05 P4 change number: 52135, 52298 Modules affected: wod50 .... === You'll have to contact Tech ...

Problem shifting from 5.5.04 to 5.5.05
Hi, I'm not sure I've picked the right newsgroup, but anyway I have the following problem: I use ADO to access the database. Whenever I needed a new entry I used to do: recordset.Open( SELECT * FROM AnyName WHERE ID = -1 ) which opened an empty recordset cause there's never an ID -1 recordset.AddNew recordset: set some values recordset.Update this used to work with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04. Now I've changed to 5.5.05 and this doesn't work no more. The Update doesn't fail, but still nothing goes to the database. If I open the recordset with a command t...

5.5.00 to 5.5.04 Update Problem
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> I'm getting database error "-157 Cannot convert SQLDATETIME to a date" after updating my SQL Anywhere from 5.5.00 to 5.5.04.&nbsp; The error only ocurred after updating to 5.5.04 and goes away if I go back to 5.5.00. The error is the result of an embedded SQL statement in which the timestamp is in the WHERE clause of a SELECT statement. Any ideas?</html> Can you post some DDL and DML to reproduce this with? -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://ww...

Upgrading 5.5.5 to 6.5.5
I am going to be upgrading from GW 5.5.5 to GW6.5.5 Anybody aware of any gotcha's or have any advice? LauraB@itdynamics.co.za wrote: > I am going to be upgrading from GW 5.5.5 to GW6.5.5 Anybody aware of > any gotcha's or have any advice? Not really. Before you upgrade rebuilt the post offices and domains or do at least a validate of the databases. If you are not really experienced I recommend to purchase the caledonia upgrade guide. -- Cheers, Edward ...

Problem: PB 5 and SQL Anywhere 5.5 very slow on High Speed Wan
Hello i have a PB 5.0.03 application using SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 on a Windows NT server (Compaq Proliant 1600P-II 400) The WAN layout is as this Central Site | Cisco 1601 Router | | FT1 at 512KB/Sec | Cisco 1601 Router | Remote Site. There are Windows 95 (Compaq ES P-II 333) station using the application at both site. All the programs are loaded locally in each PC. The application run fine from the central site. But with one ONE PC active on the whole network, i have problem using the application from the remot...

Webaccess 5.5 to 6.5 Speed
Has anyone seen an increase in speed of Webaccess after upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5 over dial up? Our 5.5. webaccess is too slow and unfortunately recommendations from the TID's didn't help. We are looking to upgrade our mail system and I want to get feedback Thanks in advance. Chris Chris wrote: > > Has anyone seen an increase in speed of Webaccess after upgrading from 5.5 > to 6.5 over dial up? Our 5.5. webaccess is too slow and unfortunately > recommendations from the TID's didn't help. We are looking to upgrade our > mail s...

Problem with 5.5 vs 6.5
Hello, I was wondering if it is possible in GRPW 6.5 to attach to any user database (userxxx.db) create under GRPW 5.5. Ex: John Doe has user database user1a2.db in GRPW55. In GRPW 6.5 I want to attach this user database (user1a2.db) to Jane Doe. So is it possible ? PAtrick Pichette Admin IT LEjolex ppichette@ljt.ca wrote: > I was wondering if it is possible in GRPW 6.5 to attach to any user > database (userxxx.db) create under GRPW 5.5. > Ex: John Doe has user database user1a2.db in GRPW55. In GRPW 6.5 I want > to attach this user database (user1a2.db) to ...

Upgreade from 5.5 to 6.5 Problem
Last night we attempted to upgrade our GW 5.5 system and ran into some problems early, so we just rolled back to our old setup. Here was the scenario: Original NW5.1 Server (named Server3) on old NDS tree with GW 5.5EP, have a second server running NW 6 (named Server2) on new eDir tree. Upgrade plan was to: 1) Move GW 5.5 system from Server3 to Server2 and from old tree to new one using TID10007622 2) Upgrade GW 5.5 System on Server2 to GW 6.5 using upgrade guide from caledonia 3) Perform some hardware upgrades on Server3, perform clean install of NW 6 and join new e...

charset-problem in gw 5.5.5
Hi, I have a problem with fx this type of e-mails (MIME-Version: 1.0) Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-15" When it comes into my GW-client its danish characters are looking funny..! If i wiev it in webaccess some of the characters are converted ok (ae oe but not aa) It has been so for a long while - and its not all e-mails that are shown that way....! some are converted ok. Can it be corrected...???? - disconfiguration or....? Thanx Tommy Not supported character set until GroupWise 7.0 SP1. -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Conne...

storing graphics problem in 5.5.2 & 5.5.3
we are running delphi 2.01 and SQLAny 5.5.01; We store small graphics (pictures of real people) in the data base as a long binary... everything works well; When we upgraded to 5.5.02, the maximum amount of bytes that the DB will store of the SAME pictures that were being store previously is 7,420 bytes; the graphic is 15,478. I have logged many hours trying to decipher what may be happening and have not a clue... No errors are reported, the onyl thing that I know for sure is that everything worked under 5.5.01 and does not under 5.5.02 + 3; any clues or suggestions would be most a...

A little problem with sp on SQLAnywhere 5.5
Hi! I'm trying to understand and use stored procedures with SQLAnywhere 5.5 / PB6 On SQLAnywhere, I've declared my procedure like that : CREATE PROCEDURE sp_test(ident integer,out varcode integer) BEGIN SELECT ent_code INTO varcode FROM entreprise WHERE ent_id=ident END When I'm calling my procedure with ISQL, it works. Now, I declare my sp in PB6 : DECLARE my_sp FOR sp_test ident = :li_ident ; And I'm using it : EXECUTE my_sp; It doesn't works. I'm obtaining SQLCA.Sqlcode = -1 and SQLCA.SQLErrText = 'Transaction not connected'. I...

SQLAnywhere 5.5
We are running SQLAnywhere on a Novell 4.11 server. The DBSRV50.NLM is version 5.5.00 Build #1073. I am assuming this is the version of the database we are running of SQLAnywhere? Does this version support SMP? We are thinking of ordering another processor for the server, but don't want to waste money is the version of SQLAnywhere is not SMP aware or capable of using the extra processor? Thanks, Keith I already answered this in the general newsgroup. Please do not cross post. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX I only crossed posted because this group has al...

SQLAnywhere 5.5
We are running SQLAnywhere on a Novell 4.11 server. The DBSRV50.NLM is version 5.5.00 Build #1073. I am assuming this is the version of the database we are running of SQLAnywhere? Does this version support SMP? We are thinking of ordering another processor for the server, but don't want to waste money is the version of SQLAnywhere is not SMP aware or capable of using the extra processor? Thanks, Keith SQL Anywhere does not support SMP, ASA does but not on Novell. But, it won't hurt to add another processor. The OS will continue to use one and SQL Anywhe...

Upgrade to 5.4.5 or 5.5
Hi, Currently we are running eBiz version 5.4.2.5 under Winodw2000. We are having cluster died issue since the beginning. Now we are planning to move to 5.4.6 or 5.5. Would someone help me to share if there are any serious issues with new versions (for windows)? Should we go with Win2000 or Win2003. Thanks Aftab Aftab,.. Our advise for this moment is to run impact 5.4.6. under Win2003. (See also your earlier replay on Carl's post) We do have some problems with startin a cluster from a earlier ersion of impact. The cluster won't start always correct or won't...

Web resources about - 5.5 Speed Problem - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

The problem with using infrastructure to stimulate an economy
The immediate boost to the economy from infrastructure stimulus spending is minimal, while the cost for any new jobs it creates can be huge

The problem with “bringing the country together”
... our country needs is to reject the very premise of politics. The disparate factions in the United States don’t even agree on what our problems ...

Apple confirms bug that makes the iPhone’s most frustrating problem even more frustrating
... as and satisfied as they are though, we doubt any iPhone user would make the claim that his or her handset is perfect. No, iPhones have problems ...

A recurring problem in 'Making A Murderer' used to be huge in the UK — and the country figured out how ...
... Act of 1984 [PACE], however, subsequently required officers to videotape their interviews, among other provisions. It nearly solved the problem. ...

The problem with Chinese data...
John Rutledge, Safanad chief investment strategist, shares his thoughts on China's GDP and real economic growth. And Mike Santoli, CNBC senior ...

‘Degrassi: Next Class’: “The Drugs Have Changed But The Problems Are Still The Same”
Degrassi is known for tackling the complex issues that high school students face. Subjects such as teen pregnancy, drugs, school shooting and ...

Fujitsu wants to fix Japan's deer problem with software
Fujitsu is teaming up with a Japanese forest research institute to learn how animal populations grow. The pair will look into Sika deer, a creature ...

Free Basics, net neutrality, and the problem with charity
This must have been a pretty bad year for Mark Zuckerberg. He thought he'd be a hero, but now he's a pariah. Why?

Apple Admits iOS 9.2 Has A New Problem
Apple says it is working hard on a fix...