"Not connected to SQL Database" Error Message

Hello All !

Last night, I left ISQL running on my machine.  This morning, when I went to
run a query in ISQL, I got the message:
"Not connected to SQL Database".  I understand the message pretty
clearly.  But, can anyone tell me at what point is a connection "dropped"?
After how long?  and lastly, what can I do to prevent or extend the time
before I lose the connection?

Thanks in advance,
Everett

0
Everett

In the online help you can look at the connection parameters by searching
on "DBSRV50".  The parameter you want to modify is "-ti".  Here is the
section from the online help.

-ti minutes   Disconnect connections that have not submitted a request for
minutes minutes. The default is 240 (4 hours).  A client machine in the
middle of a database  transaction will hold locks until the transaction is
ended or the connection is terminated. The -i  option is provided to
disconnect inactive connections,  freeing their locks.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com

Everett Crockett <ECrockett@witsys.com> wrote in article
<3UT43IH69GA.283@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Hello All !
>
> Last night, I left ISQL running on my machine.  This morning, when I went
> run a query in ISQL, I got the message:
> "Not connected to SQL Database".  I understand the message pretty
> clearly.  But, can anyone tell me at what point is a connection
"dropped"?
> After how long?  and lastly, what can I do to prevent or extend the time
> before I lose the connection?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Everett

0
Jim
9/25/1998 11:43:49 AM
Jim, based on this information, I should be able to start my database with
the following command to disconnect after 2 minutes, correct?
C:\sqlany50\win32\dbsrv50.exe -ti 2 -x tcpip -n WitEverett
d:\database\blank\witness.db

But, once I started the database, cranked up one of my apps, waited 4
minutes, and refreshed the app, it is still connected.  Thus, can you give
me more?  How do I check to see what the current setting is for this
parameter?Why did it not disconnect after two minutes?  Am I "changing" it
in the proper manner?

Thanks again, in advance,
Everett

0
Everett
9/25/1998 5:18:43 PM
I forgot to tell you to specify that on the SERVER command line, not the
client.  Sorry.
--

<OTpPe8J69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Jim, based on this information, I should be able to start my database
with
> the following command to disconnect after 2 minutes, correct?
> C:\sqlany50\win32\dbsrv50.exe -ti 2 -x tcpip -n WitEverett
> d:\database\blank\witness.db
>
> But, once I started the database, cranked up one of my apps, waited 4
> minutes, and refreshed the app, it is still connected.  Thus, can you
give
> me more?  How do I check to see what the current setting is for this
> parameter?Why did it not disconnect after two minutes?  Am I "changing"
it
> in the proper manner?
>
> Thanks again, in advance,
> Everett

0
Jim

"connections to SQL server files (*.mdf)" error message in Visual studio when adding a new SQL database
Hope you can help. Running Visual Studio 2005 and SQLServer2005.  I have created a new project and am attempting to add a new SQL database to it.  When I select the SQL database I get an "Connections to SQL server files (*.mdf) requires SQL Server Express to function properly" error message.  I also tried to add an existng database and it errors out as well "The file can not be opened as it is being used by another process.....".  However, I can create a new data source connection to existing SQL databases.  One caveat though.  I can ...

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." error message
Hello Sybase User Experts, I like to find out the cause of this error message "Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." Do you have any idea about this? What is the cause and how to solve this problem?! Your answer or idea to this error message will be a great help to me. Thank you in advance. Regards, Beverly Beverly, First of all, what database server are you using? And how are you connecting to it? -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] <Beverly> wrote in message news:3f7932b1.1356....

upgrade error:"CONNECTIVITY ERROR:DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out."
PLEASE HELP OH WISE SYBASE GURUS! upgrading 11.9.2 to 12.0. unloaded software. rebooted server. selected "upgrade server" in Configure Sybase Servers window. typed in sa password. got "CONNECTIVITY ERROR: DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out." -- Chuck Boyce chuck_boyce@operamail.com http://www.geocities.com/chuck_boyce_jr/ Yahoo Messenger ID: chuck_boyce_jr http://messenger.yahoo.com AOL Instant Messenger ID: sg95m476 http://www.aol.com/aim/ ICQ Messenger ID: 41449031 http://www.icq.com ...

Problem in Connecting Database. error " SQL Server does not allow remote connections."
Hi Forum, Heres the scenario. I have VS2008 and SqlServer Enterprise Edition installed in my machine. I connect to the database inside the same machine using VS2008. I opened the project my client gave me inside vs2008. When I ran the project, the it runs. but the aspx page to be displayed shows error like  'Problem in Connecting Database. error " SQL Server does not allow remote connections." ' I have db and vs in the same machine ( no remote machine involved). Why does this error came? How to Rectify it? Any guidelines are de...

URGENT: "cannot connect to database" error message?
On particular clients, I cannot connect to database through either the PB app using ODBC or throug ISQL (Watcom 4.e client). On my machine, the connection is fine. I've compared odbc and odbcinst files, and the data sources are the same. The network server is up and running. What is the cause? What steps should I take to verify every possibility. I am sure that it is a simple ODBC configuration, but I can't see it!!!!! Please help Thanks Stephane Make sure you have the stack configured on the client. To 'debug' the problem add "-Z" to the start comm...

Error message " Error in destination Database"
Everytime I run a script that was written by a programmer a year ago, I get an error message "Error in Destination Database". Basically I am achieving my database. This script does run on our production network but, when we changed the name of our sever in the *.ini file to run on the development side we get this error. This is our setup: PB 5.0 running on Win NT 4.o to Informix running on an Unix (Solaris 6) system. Please I need help! If you need more info please write ASAP. In article <RoG7oyR1#GA.169@forums.sybase.com>, pgoins@gbar.com says... > Everyt...

sql connection fails with "Cannot generate SSPI context" error message
Hi All, Please help me in getting the below issue resolved. I have a console application which processes around 10000 records sequentially. While processing each record application reads data from an SQL server( which is a remote machine in the same domain). Processing goes well with first 500 records and after that erupts a wierd problemi.e. application fails with an exception ' EXCEPTION:: Cannot generate SSPI context.  following are the even log errors. The Security System detected an authentication error for the server ldap/<DomainServer>. The failure code from ...

Mail pseudo-error
In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news) results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed" followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it. BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still moving because the error message is still there. Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" w...

Solve a "Error message: SQL State HY000... Connection is busy with results"
Hi I have converted a large project from ADO to DBX since I needed datasnap and thought that using the same library through all the applications and services in the project would be "right". I have done pretty much testing in my lab and have not expirenced any problems, now when I'm installing at my customer I suddenly face problems with this error - of cause there is much more load on the production environment. "Error message: SQL State HY000... Connection is busy with results for another command" In the application where I see this error I have a mainfor...

"Access database" and "Login error"
Hey guys,I'm trying to get an Access database to be the location of the username/password combinations. I've done it is as far as I can tell, but I'm now stuck with the following error.These are some of things I have doneSet up the database in ODBC under the name "OdbcServices"Put the database in the "App_data" folder in the website directoryThanks for any help that you guys can give about the error.The Naked Programmer------------------------------------------ Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the proc...

"Not connected to SQL Database"
What is this error message? I have never saw this message at SQL Anywhere 5.5.01 version. Is it problem of SQL Anywhere 5.5.04? How can I prevent this error? -- Kim, Jiwon Kim, this is the message that I have seen before. When I had this problem, it was because my connection to the database had been idle for a period of time longer than the allowed amount of time before an idle connection is "dropped". So, I would tend to believe that you only get this message after your connection has been idle for four hours (the default), or for a period of time greater than or e...

Database error code -102 "too many connections" SQL Anywhere 5.5.02
We're are creating transaction objects dynamically and connecting and disconnecting once the transaction is completed. The problem is after 10 repetitions of connecting I get the error message "too many connections". I know 10 is the connection limit for dbeng50 (running under win95) but I should never get that many since I am disconnecting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks in advance, mark mlibner@spartanburg.net Hmm, Are you using SetTrans() instead of the SetTransObject() function? BTW, what version are you using? 5.5.0.3 is the current release. --...

"Sent" instead of "Drafts" in error message
I was just composing a message when Internet connection was lost. An error message complained that the message could not be copied to the Sent folder. After some trying, I understood that obviously the Drafts folder was meant. I'm using latest-comm-1.9.1 ... Is there a bug on this yet? I think this should be fixed for release. We're already string-frozen for the next beta, right? :-| Jens M´┐Żller wrote: > I was just composing a message when Internet connection was lost. An > error message complained that the message could not be copied to the > Sent folder. After s...

error message: "General network error. Check your network documentation."
I am getting the error below when I try to bind data to a drop down box using data adapter. This error is random. I have been getting the same type of error when I used data reader. Anyone knows how to prevent these generic network errors? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- General network error. Check your network documentation. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code...

Web resources about - "Not connected to SQL Database" Error Message - sybase.sqlanywhere.general