-934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database C:\FUELTAX\DATABASE\PCFTAX.DB

Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the following
error
-934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to
start database.

Does anyone know what might have happened.  It was working fine for months
and all of the sudden we are getting this error now.

Thanks,

Igor Vodo.

0
Igor

This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version than
the database file format. Something has changed in your environment. Do you
have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for example ASA
9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If so, make sure you are referencing the proper dbsrv9.

--
Joshua Savills
iAnywhere Solutions - Product Support Analyst

"Igor Vodov" <igor@alk.com> wrote in message news:43c2a05f$1@forums-1-dub...
> Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the
> following error
> -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded
> to start database.
>
> Does anyone know what might have happened.  It was working fine for months
> and all of the sudden we are getting this error now.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Igor Vodo.

0
Joshua
1/9/2006 5:48:17 PM
Our ASA is 9.0.1.  I believe that our database was also created with 9.0.1.
How can we determine the version of the database file format to verify that
our database is not 9.0.2 for example?

"Joshua Savill" <nospam_jsavill@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version
> than the database file format. Something has changed in your environment.
> Do you have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for example
> ASA 9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If so, make sure you are referencing the proper
> dbsrv9.
>
> --
> Joshua Savills
> iAnywhere Solutions - Product Support Analyst
>

> "Igor Vodov" <igor@alk.com> wrote in message
>> Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the
>> following error
>> -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded
>> to start database.
>>
>> Does anyone know what might have happened.  It was working fine for
>> months and all of the sudden we are getting this error now.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Igor Vodo.

0
Igor
1/9/2006 5:57:04 PM
I suspect someone out in your company has v902 installed and initialized
this database, which you are now trying to start on v901.  Since the
database won't start with v901, I'd suggest installing v902 on a test
machine somewhere (note that a free developer version is available as the
first link at http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/index.html), start the
database, and then execute

select * from SYS.SYSHISTORY

I strongly suspect you'll see a line where operation = 'INIT' and version
will show v9.0.2 as the version at which this database was created.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

"Igor Vodov" <igor@alk.com> wrote in message news:43c2a3f0$1@forums-1-dub...
> Our ASA is 9.0.1.  I believe that our database was also created with
9.0.1.
> How can we determine the version of the database file format to verify
that
> our database is not 9.0.2 for example?
>

> "Joshua Savill" <nospam_jsavill@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> > This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version
> > than the database file format. Something has changed in your
environment.
> > Do you have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for
example
> > ASA 9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If so, make sure you are referencing the proper
> > dbsrv9.
> >
> > --
> > Joshua Savills
> > iAnywhere Solutions - Product Support Analyst
> >

> > "Igor Vodov" <igor@alk.com> wrote in message
> >> Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the
> >> following error
> >> -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be
upgraded
> >> to start database.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what might have happened.  It was working fine for
> >> months and all of the sudden we are getting this error now.
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Igor Vodo.

0
Reg
1/9/2006 6:03:19 PM
I checked SYS.SYSHISTORY.  INIT has the version of 9.0.1.  If I run
dbeng9 -n test to start database server I also get 9.0.1 in that server
window.
However, if I start my application (that uses db_start_engine to start the
server) I get the error that indicates that my database is of newer version
than the server.

"Reg Domaratzki (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FirstName.LastName@ianywhere.com>
wrote in message news:43c2a567$1@forums-1-dub...
>I suspect someone out in your company has v902 installed and initialized
> this database, which you are now trying to start on v901.  Since the
> database won't start with v901, I'd suggest installing v902 on a test
> machine somewhere (note that a free developer version is available as the
> first link at http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/index.html), start the
> database, and then execute
>
> select * from SYS.SYSHISTORY
>
> I strongly suspect you'll see a line where operation = 'INIT' and version
> will show v9.0.2 as the version at which this database was created.
>
> --
> Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
> Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8
> Please reply only to the newsgroup
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
>   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
>   -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"
>

> "Igor Vodov" <igor@alk.com> wrote in message
>> Our ASA is 9.0.1.  I believe that our database was also created with
> 9.0.1.
>> How can we determine the version of the database file format to verify
> that
>> our database is not 9.0.2 for example?
>>

>> "Joshua Savill" <nospam_jsavill@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
>> > This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version
>> > than the database file format. Something has changed in your
> environment.
>> > Do you have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for
> example
>> > ASA 9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If so, make sure you are referencing the proper
>> > dbsrv9.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Joshua Savills
>> > iAnywhere Solutions - Product Support Analyst
>> >

>> > "Igor Vodov" <igor@alk.com> wrote in message
> upgraded

0
Igor
1/9/2006 9:30:26 PM
Igor Vodov wrote:
> I checked SYS.SYSHISTORY.  INIT has the version of 9.0.1.  If I run
> dbeng9 -n test to start database server I also get 9.0.1 in that server
> window.

But didn't you say you are using the runtime engine?
What do you get if you run "rteng9 -v"?
Why do you have a dbeng9.exe in a runtime environment?

We'd also like to know the exact build number you are using: 9.0.1.XXXX

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Greg
1/9/2006 10:24:29 PM
We are using runtime engine for our single-users.  However, this is our
multi-user that has a full Sybase install.
We don't have such problems with our single-users.

But our multi-user has a problem.  Does the build number also has to match?
In other words, if it is 9.0.1.1912 in INIT line of select * from
SYS.SYSHISTORY results,
does the server also has to be .1912 or can be it .1899?

Thanks.

"Greg Fenton" <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> Igor Vodov wrote:
>> I checked SYS.SYSHISTORY.  INIT has the version of 9.0.1.  If I run
>> dbeng9 -n test to start database server I also get 9.0.1 in that server
>> window.
>
> But didn't you say you are using the runtime engine?
> What do you get if you run "rteng9 -v"?
> Why do you have a dbeng9.exe in a runtime environment?
>
> We'd also like to know the exact build number you are using: 9.0.1.XXXX
>
> greg.fenton
> --
> Greg Fenton
> Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
> --------
> Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/

0
Igor
1/9/2006 10:56:02 PM
Generally, you should not use a server version older than the version
that initialized the database.  Sometimes you can get away with doing such,
but the server will enforce this rule in the situation that a new "capability"
was added (i.e. if version B added a new capability bit that did not exist in
version A, and A < B, then trying to start a database initialize by version B
by a server of version A will fail with the error that you are getting).

I haven't checked the details of which capability was added (and for what
reason) but I've confirmed in the code the reason for the error, and since you
are getting this error a new database capability must have been added between
9.0.1.1899 and 9.0.1.1912 (this typically happens when a bug fix requires
adding a new capability bit).

Short answer here is: you will not be able to start a database initialized
by build 1912 with 9.0.1.1899 server.
--
Mark Culp
SQLAnywhere Research and Development
Igor Vodov wrote:

> We are using runtime engine for our single-users.  However, this is our
> multi-user that has a full Sybase install.
> We don't have such problems with our single-users.
>
> But our multi-user has a problem.  Does the build number also has to match?
> In other words, if it is 9.0.1.1912 in INIT line of select * from
> SYS.SYSHISTORY results,
> does the server also has to be .1912 or can be it .1899?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Greg Fenton" <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> > Igor Vodov wrote:
> >> I checked SYS.SYSHISTORY.  INIT has the version of 9.0.1.  If I run
> >> dbeng9 -n test to start database server I also get 9.0.1 in that server
> >> window.
> >
> > But didn't you say you are using the runtime engine?
> > What do you get if you run "rteng9 -v"?
> > Why do you have a dbeng9.exe in a runtime environment?
> >
> > We'd also like to know the exact build number you are using: 9.0.1.XXXX
> >
> > greg.fenton
> > --
> > Greg Fenton
> > Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
> > --------
> > Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
> > Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
> > http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Mark

Unable to connect to database server: Unable to start database engine
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. However, here goes. I am using PB 7.0 I set up my database using the ODBC Data Source Administrator configuration for Adaptive Server Anywhere (System DSN). Then I created my profile. I tested the connection and it worked fine. Then I went to Jaguar Manager, created the Connection Cache using the database I just setup. I setup everything currectly including using the odbc32.dll (Driver Tab) I got this error when I pinged it: (error is taken from my aguar's srv.log file) May 24 10:06:32 2001: cm__odbc_error: ...

Creating new database (ASA Error -82:Unable to start specified database)- SQL Anywhere Studio v7.0
I reinstalled SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0 for the I don't know how manyith time and now I'm able to go into Sybase Central without error by starting the Network or Persnal Server Sample.... and I went into my properties and changed my TrueColor 32bit to TrueColor 24bit and I no longer have visual disturbances. Now when I follow the books that came along with Studio I'm unable to create a new database. I get "ASA Error -82:Unable to start specified database" and then I get +---------------------------------+ | Sybase Ce...

Services don't start automatically ("Database cannot be started -- I/O error" or "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory")
My situation is: ..server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 ..database server : Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0.2.4372. Windows starts automatically 32 services ASA, one database in each service If I start each service in manual everything is ok. When I restart the server, four service (always four!!!) don't start correctly with two kind of error: "Database cannot be started -- I/O error" "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory" The services that don't start are not the same. I tried many times and everytime the problem is on...

Unable to start database (ASA8-Create Database)
I'm working with ASA6,ASA7,ASA8 in the same PC. No problem while new DB creation with ASA 6 and 7 in Sybase Central. I'm getting "unable to start database" error message at the end of ASA8 Sybase Central create db wizard. I installed EBF 2285 for ASA 8.0.0 and it doesn't worked. (I'm working with the dbinit on the command promt for now.My OS=Win 2000 Proffessional) Oguz OZAN Consultant Sybase Turkey ozan@sybase.com.tr ...

Unable to start database server in SQLANYWHERE 11.
I am trying to create a new database in SQL ANYWHERE 11.0.1 and I am getting the following errors using the Create Database Wizard and I am getting the following errors: Unable to start database server [Sybase][ODBC Driver][SQL Anywhere]Unable to start database server Error code=-80 SQL state=08001 Any clue as to what might be causing this? ...

Error Message: Unable to Start Specified Database
I'm using SQL Anywhere standlone that comes with PowerBuilder 5.0 and the Maintanence 5.0.02 Installed. Mor a less once a week I can't open my Database file and I have to recover my Backup. I know the error, but I think It's happening with a hight frequency. Do I have anything that can be done to minimize this error ?? Is it a common error ??? Please reply me as soon as possible ! in my e-mail, so I can get the answer faster ! Thanks in Advance Maur�cio A. Correa macorrea@sti.com.br >I'm using SQL Anywhere standlone that comes with PowerBuilder 5.0 and >...

Unable to start specified database- error message
O/S : Windows Vista Business, Powerbuilder 11.1, IIS 7.0 I gave Granted ASPNET full permission for all my Sybase and all its subdirectories. Same for SQl Anywhere 10 and its subdirectories. When I try to run the deployed 'pbtutor' sample (WebForm) as per Sybase documentation, I get the following error message: "SQLSTATE = 08001 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][SQL Anywhere]Unable to start specified database: Permission denied" B.T.W the Application does open in the IE but cannot connect to the database. The database is already granted with Full Permission for ASPNET. ...

Unable to start Database Engine when Creating new Database
Have just installed SQL anywhere on Netware 4. Am trying to create a new database from my NT machine with Sybase Central. At the point of creating the database it says "Database not created" - "Unable to start Database Engine". I have connected to the sample database so it doesn't seem to be a network problem. Any suggestions would be very gratefully received by this beginner! Thanks Thomasina You cannot create a database using the multiuser engine on Netware. Create the database on your local machine with the standalone engine and then move...

SQL error (-82) -- unable to start specified database
I am using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04, NT Server: After the server disk was filled up, the sybase .db file owned by our application has been damaged I can use dbinfo, dbshrink,dblog on the file. If I try other tools i get "SQL error (-82) -- unable to start specified database" Is there a way to re-build this file ? "Rebuild database" from Sybase Central cant start the database... Regards, Ronny. I found the solution... dbeng50 -f mydata.db ...

DBSPAWN ERROR: -80 Unable to start database server
i was working to setup replication form oracle to sybase...i had started and stopped asa for the rasd many time in the last week or two...then one time when i had logged into my replication agent for oracle 15 esd#1 instance and executed... isql -Srao15e1mwxp_admin -Usa -P -w2048 pdb_xlog init this step hung...so then i abruptly exited the windows isql session by clicking the red X in the top right corner of the cmd window where isql was running...i then shutdown all the servers involved and tried to start up everything from scratch...everything would start except rep agent ...

Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running
I get this error on one of my clients, although the DB server is, in fact, running. If I go to ODBC, and "TEST CONNECTION" it says OK, and all begins to work within a minute or so again. Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running Are there client settings, or server settings, which can eliminate this annoying problem? Our entire website stops working as it's completely db driven, until the error clears itself up... RUNNING ASA 6.0.3030 RT Can you post the parameters you filled in...

Start database server error
Platform: window 2000 ASA version: 8.0.2.4293 Unnable to start database server with the following command, "C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 8\win32\dbsrv8.exe" -n dbname -e -x tcpip{MYIP=ipaddress;ServerPort=portnumber} c:\test.db Here is the error messages, Unable to find the TLS library (dbtls8.dll) Thanks The -e switch no longer exists in version 8. It looks like -e is being interpreted as "-ec ecc_tls" which would look for the dbtls8.dll. This DLL is only installed with the Encryption option, which needs a special install key. If you...

"SqlAnywhere (6.0)
I have recently installed SqlAnyWhere version 6.0 . Windows 95 platform.(IE 4.1 SP1) . When I try to create a new database I get the Message: " SQL error (-80) Unable to start database Engine . I'm unable to solve this problem - what should I do ? Check to make sure the ASA\Win32 directory is in the path. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX *********************************************************** Enterprise Applications in Your Future? JumpStar...

Unabled TO START SPECIFIED DataBase
Hello, I am from Brazil, I am in Trouble...... When I Try to OPEN the DataBase, this error Happens. (Unable TO START SPECIFIED DataBase). What should i do to Solve it. I am using ISQL, SCView and Rebuild. The SQLAnywhere was installed in stand Alone mode. Thanks for your help. Moacir. It looks like engine is not finding .db file or this DB is already started with another name. If a DB is started in standalone mode it means exclusive access, no more programs can start that DB, but can connect with it. Try specifying the "Server Name" parameter when execut...

Start database server error
Hi, Everyone: When I started one server, I got the following error: The context allocation routine failed when it tried to load localization files!! One or more following problems may caused the failure Your sybase home directory is /opt/sybase. Check the environment variable SYBASE if it is not the one you want! Using default locale name: "default" 00:00000:00000:2000/11/27 15:42:29.82 kernel kscsinit: connectivity library err or. Operation: cs_ctx_alloc(). I checked the variable SYBASE, and it is already set upto "/opt/sybase". I am not sure wh...

Web resources about - -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database C:\FUELTAX\DATABASE\PCFTAX.DB - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Pro-China party likely to lose power in Taiwan election
Tsai supporters appeared confident that ties with China would weather a change in government.

Foreigners among 23 killed as al-Qaeda militants storm Burkina Faso hotel
The Islamic extremists stormed the hotel and a nearby cafe Friday night.

How to Watch the Seahawks-Panthers NFL Playoff Game Live Stream Online
On Sunday afternoon, the 15-1 Carolina Panthers will play host in their first postseason game against the visiting Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks, ...

Darth Vader Apparently Returning To Star Wars
There are only a few characters in the Star Wars franchise that stand out above the rest, one that have dedicated fan followings and a real sense ...

Philadelphia Man Among Marines Missing After Helicopter Crash In Hawaii
CBS Local Philadelphia Man Among Marines Missing After Helicopter Crash In Hawaii CBS Local PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The U.S. Marine Corps has ...

Celine Dion's brother dies of cancer only days after her husband
Two days after Céline Dion's husband René Angélil died, it has emerged that her brother, Daniel Dion, also lost his battle with cancer. In a ...

El Chapo: Mexican drug kingpin had his penis enlarged after prison break
Mexican reporter claims the 57-year-old gangster got a penile implant while on the run.

‘Simpsons’ and ‘Futurama’ creator Matt Groening to develop new animated series for Netflix
Throughout 2016, Netflix plans to roll out 28 completely new shows alongside five feature films, a clear indication that the company is dead ...

Second terror attack in Jalalabad, Afghanistan in a week: Death toll climbs to 13
At least 13 people were killed and 14 others wounded when a suicide bomber struck the home of a prominent politician in the Afghan city of Jalalabad. ...