Sybase11 Cannot connect database file locate on network drive but Sybase 9 can.

Hi,
   My company upgrad from Sybase9 to Sybase11 many problem
that we found, some problem we can fixed but some problem we
have to change implement code.
   I have problem to asking, some of my application have to
connect database that locate on network drive.
   When I use Sybase9 it work find but when try to use
Sybase11 to connect then I got error message "Specified
database not found:..."
   I want to know why and how can I fixed this problem?

Thank you,

BonWan
0
BonWan
11/24/2009 11:51:52 AM
sybase.sqlanywhere.futures 1193 articles. 0 followers. Follow

First, accessing database files over a network share is not recommended.
It is error prone (network disconnections can cause your database server
to fail), inefficient (particularly if your network bandwidth is a
limiting factor for IO speed), and may compromise your ability to
perform disaster recovery.

That said, we don't _prevent_ you from doing it. Are you starting the
database server as an Windows Service? Windows services that run on
SYSTEM accounts generally do not have access to the network shares that
the local user has defined and may not have access to the network at
all. Define your service to run as a user or, possibly, you may be able
to use UNC name but you will need to deal with permissions where the
file is hosted.

-john.
--
John Smirnios
Senior Software Developer

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

BonWan wrote:
> Hi,
>    My company upgrad from Sybase9 to Sybase11 many problem
> that we found, some problem we can fixed but some problem we
> have to change implement code.
>    I have problem to asking, some of my application have to
> connect database that locate on network drive.
>    When I use Sybase9 it work find but when try to use
> Sybase11 to connect then I got error message "Specified
> database not found:..."
>    I want to know why and how can I fixed this problem?
>
> Thank you,
>
> BonWan
0
John
11/24/2009 3:02:36 PM
John,

Thank you for your response.
>>Are you starting the  database server as an Windows
Service?
No, just connect database that locate on network drive for
get information from it.
It's ok my boss suggest the solution and I will follow it.

Thank you,

BonWan

> First, accessing database files over a network share is
> not recommended.  It is error prone (network
> disconnections can cause your database server  to fail),
> inefficient (particularly if your network bandwidth is a
> limiting factor for IO speed), and may compromise your
> ability to  perform disaster recovery.
>
> That said, we don't _prevent_ you from doing it. Are you
> starting the  database server as an Windows Service?
> Windows services that run on  SYSTEM accounts generally do
> not have access to the network shares that  the local user
> has defined and may not have access to the network at
> all. Define your service to run as a user or, possibly,
> you may be able  to use UNC name but you will need to deal
> with permissions where the  file is hosted.
>
> -john.
> --
> John Smirnios
> Senior Software Developer
> iAnywhere Solutions Engineering
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through
> the iAnywhere  Developer Community at
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
>
> BonWan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    My company upgrad from Sybase9 to Sybase11 many
> > problem that we found, some problem we can fixed but
> > some problem we have to change implement code.
> >    I have problem to asking, some of my application have
> > to connect database that locate on network drive.
> >    When I use Sybase9 it work find but when try to use
> > Sybase11 to connect then I got error message "Specified
> > database not found:..."
> >    I want to know why and how can I fixed this problem?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > BonWan
0
BonWan

Connection string to access network drive Access DB file with network drive locked?
Hi, I am currently facing a problem in accessing a MDB file residing in another network location. The network location is locked with a username and password. I have the user and password and would like to know what would be the connection string like in order to connection to the server. The other funny thing is that I am able to retrieve records using WEB MATRIX emulation mode with the normal connection string which do not make any sense to me. Thank you for helping. Regards,   FrancisSGDOTNET.ORG Web Matrix works, because when Web Matrix is running, it is running as a normal a...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
Greetings, I have just arrived back into the country (NZ) and back into ASP.NET.  I am having trouble with the following:An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. It has only begun since i decided i wanted to use IIS, I realise VWD comes with its own localhost, but since it is only temporary, i wanted a permanent shortcut on my desktop to link to my intranet page.  Anyone have any ideas why i am getting the above error? have...

How can I change my connection to a different database...it is not connecting to the database I created.
My data is connected to the ASPNETDB.MDF database. Is this a must that I have it connected to this database or can I have it connected to a database that I created. You can connect to different database such as sql or other access files. All you have to do is to define which connection string to use within your web.config file. If you want to make sure that your database is prepared to be used, use features such as ASPNET_REGSQL.EXE at VS Command Prompt. Hope this helps. Jae.jae.lee@jaeleeandco.com I'm in the Army...here in Georgia. Is it cold there.. Hi Jae,    &nb...

Can't find transaction log when try to connect database from restore database file(Server-Side Backup and then restore it in my PC.)
I have problem when Archive/Restore Database file, I use "BACKUP DATABASE TO" for Archive DB and use "RESTORE DATABASE " for restore DB. I archive database from Server and then restore database at my PC, I have no problem when restore. Here's the problem when I try to connect database I got error . Unable to start specified database: C:\Apps\Test1.log: transaction log file not found [Sybase][ODBC Driver][SQL Anywhere]Unable to start specified database: C:\Apps\Test1.log: transaction log file not found Error code=-82 SQL state=08001 Directory C:\Apps i...

how can upload a file to network drive
hiiii :) I want to upload a file to network drive with file upload control ...is there any one to help me ;)  fileupload1.SaveAs(path);it will save the file to specified path. i use this method but when i try to save to  network path with my map drive get this error : Could not find a part of the path y:/......  This is a duplicate post you asked the same question here http://forums.asp.net/p/1365112/2833110.aspx and I have answered too  MAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotMy Site : ASPSnippets...

How can i upload a file to network drive ?
hiii :) i want to upload a file to network drive with fileupload form ... See this article http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/UNC__Access_Network_file.aspx in order to acess Network Folders once done you can save ur files using this codeProtected Sub btnUpload_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnUpload.Click Dim strFilePath As String Dim strUploadedFileName As String   btnUpload.Focus() strFilePath = UploadExcel.PostedFile.FileName If strFilePath = Nothing Then lblShowError.Visible = True Exit Sub End If strUploadedFileName = Syst...

The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database f
 I cannot find the trust level in web.config and cannot get this database to work i need some help real bad. could you please post the connection string which exisits in the current web.configIt seems that you didn't publish your  database correctly Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you    <connectionStrings>    <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Server=&#xD;&#xA;p3swhsql-v18.shr.phx3.secureserver.net;Database=DataBaseName;User ID=UserName;Password=password;Trusted...

The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database f
The problem that I am having is that with Visual Web Developer I am creating a webpage and having it directly put online, so for example when I start a new ASP.NET page, I select the location to be HTTP, with the location http://MYWEBSERVER/Website   and for the language and Visual BasicI notice a couple of things, first that there is no longer a a link under the Main toolbar "Website" selection called the ASP.NET configuration.  So how can I configure what I want to have users be able to do?  It seems that this choice is only available if I am building the ASP....

Can connect to local network, can't connect to the www
I was following the "Getting your wireless to work" sticky and I've my local network working as I can ping both the router as well as other computers in the network. I however can not ping any external ip address (tried with 74.125.45.100 which is googles and pingable from my other laptop). It's a broadcom card that was working fine up till recently (drivers obtained via fw-cutter), however it stopped working a few days ago and my attempts at getting it work to again seem to have done more harm than good now. IPv6 is disabled and the network is set to use ifup. ...

The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database f #2
I have a page (actually a DNN Module) which allows a user, to add other users to a role. (code below) when running the site & clicking the button, I get the error: The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database file Dim AUTR1 As String Dim AUTR2 As StringAUTR1 = (selectedRole & "2") AUTR2 = (Role1 & selectedWeek) If Roles.RoleExists(AUTR2) = False Then Roles.CreateRole(AUTR2) End If Roles.AddUserToRole(AUT...

The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database f #3
    I'm getting an error when I'm trying to set a value to my profile member. It is working nicely few hours ago. Suddenly I failed to set the value. The error message   The SSE Provider did not find the database file specified in the connection string. At the configured trust level (below High trust level), the SSE provider can not automatically create the database file.   I posting my web.config  <?xml version="1.0"?> <configuration><configSections> <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="Sy...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file .../App_Data\Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
I am trying to display data on an asp page from a sql express database that is in the app_data folder however when trying to run the application I get the above error. I also get the error when I right click on the asp page from within the IIS website. But when when I right click the asp page from with VS and select 'view in browser' it displays fine!I have tried setting the ACL for the App_Data folder for mymachine\ASPNET  to R/W as well as for the *.mdf and *.ldf file  to no avail.What am I missing here?...

database file can't be connected
I created a database without log file. the database run rightly with several months.but recent it can't be connected,dispaly the errer message: SQLSTATE = 08001 [Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server: unable to start specified database I suggest it be interrupted when it is being used. I replace the file using the backup file.it run fine.But the backup file is outdate.How can I recover the data file? Help! Thanks! First of all, make another backup file of the *current* database, so that no matter what happens things won't get any *worse*. Tel...

how can I change the location the database.Log file
I created the database in a folder X; now I moved the database.db file to a different folder thinking that the log file was going to be created in the new location (which was the behavior in SQL Anywhere 5,6,7,8). It look like the database.log file can not be move ( I deleted folder X and the database.db file could not be open, so I had to restore the deleted folder and then it work fine). So how can I move the location of the database.log file? I am running SQL Anywhere 9.0.0 build(1108) The location of the .LOG file is recorded inside the .DB file. One way to change it is to ...

How Can I Create File or Folder on [Map Network Drive] ??
Hi   When I try to create new file or folder on any [Map Network Drive] using asp.net I get Error Message   The Error Message Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\test folder'.   I try to create the folder [test folder] on the map network driver [z]   I use this code to create the folder Directory.CreateDirectory("Z:\test folder");   Also I get the same problem if I want to create file in map network drive   Note : I don’t face this problem in I will use the same code with Windows Form Application   How Can I solve this problem ?? and give m...

Web resources about - Sybase11 Cannot connect database file locate on network drive but Sybase 9 can. - sybase.sqlanywhere.futures