SA on iPhone

Hi all,

does anyone know if 'normal' SA-Databases - not only Ultralite - will be
supported on the iPhone? Maybe with SA12? In SA11 there is olny support
for UL.

Thanks,

Axel
0
Axel
4/28/2010 1:29:00 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.futures 1193 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Axel,

Wouldn't that request be on par with asking for Oracle or SQL Server to be
available on iPhone as opposed to their light versions for mobile
development.

Cheers,

Shao

"Axel Siepmann" <no_spam_axel.siepmann@web.de> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know if 'normal' SA-Databases - not only Ultralite - will be
> supported on the iPhone? Maybe with SA12? In SA11 there is olny support
> for UL.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Axel

0
Shao
4/28/2010 3:23:50 PM
Axel,

There are no plans at this time to support the SQL Anywhere database on the iPhone.

Are there specific features in SQL Anywhere you're looking to leverage that are not available in
UltraLite? Is there a specific business problem you're attempting to address that you feel UltraLite
is not capable of handling?

--
Josh Savill
Sybase Inc. - Product Manager

On 4/28/2010 9:29 AM, Axel Siepmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know if 'normal' SA-Databases - not only Ultralite - will be
> supported on the iPhone? Maybe with SA12? In SA11 there is olny support
> for UL.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Axel
0
Josh
4/28/2010 4:57:40 PM
Hi Josh,

i am not sure. ;-) So far we only use SQL Anywhere databases on Windows
Mobile Devices for the mobile version of our CRM-System. So it would be
easier for us to port the software to the iPhone. We do not have any
experiences with UL so far.
Do you know if SQL Anywhere will run on Windows Mobile 7?
We just think about what will be the right platform for us in the future
because we will have to port the system to a new development enviroment
anyway.

Axel

Am 28.04.2010 18:57, schrieb Josh Savill [Sybase]:
> Axel,
>
> There are no plans at this time to support the SQL Anywhere database on
> the iPhone.
>
> Are there specific features in SQL Anywhere you're looking to leverage
> that are not available in UltraLite? Is there a specific business
> problem you're attempting to address that you feel UltraLite is not
> capable of handling?

0
Axel
4/29/2010 7:51:54 AM
Shao,

on Windows Mobile SQL Anywhere is supported! So why not on iPhone OS(?) ;-)

Regards,

Axel

Am 28.04.2010 17:23, schrieb Shao Chan:
> Hi Axel,
>
> Wouldn't that request be on par with asking for Oracle or SQL Server to be
> available on iPhone as opposed to their light versions for mobile
> development.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shao
>
> "Axel Siepmann"<no_spam_axel.siepmann@web.de>  wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> does anyone know if 'normal' SA-Databases - not only Ultralite - will be
>> supported on the iPhone? Maybe with SA12? In SA11 there is olny support
>> for UL.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Axel

0
Axel
4/29/2010 8:02:12 AM
No... SQL Anywhere IS a small-footprint database, even in it's
fully-functional form, so the comparison with Oracle and SQL Server is
not instructive.

--
Breck Carter

Visit SQLA! ...the new SQL Anywhere online community
   http://sqla.stackexchange.com

Blog: http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad helps SQL Anywhere developers make better databases...
   http://www.risingroad.com/

Breck.Carter at gmail
0
Breck
4/29/2010 10:09:08 AM
Hi Breck,

Thanks for that.  But how true will that be going forwards?

With most databases that used to be seen as small which then start moving
towards the enterprise arena - SQL Anywhere being one of them with its
failover and scalability capabilities - they start to have much larger
footprints.

The Ultralite increased in size 3 fold especially with the encryption
options between v9 to v11.

I would say that similar effects would have happened to SQLA.  Also, I asked
why certain features of SQLA weren't in Ultralite and they said that they
had to consider whether that feature would be used because they needed to
retain a small footprint for Ultralite.

I would say that going forwards, SQLA is unlikely to retain a small
footprint if it wants to continue to move towards the enterprise market.

Other databases have been in the same boat and are no longer considered
small footprint databases.  I used to use Progress embedded databases.  Up
until v8 it was considered a small footprint database, but now it is no
longer.

Cheers,

Shao

"Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:8jmit59n11c71nqvf1bfc8lvmpkrpvbvh8@4ax.com...
> No... SQL Anywhere IS a small-footprint database, even in it's
> fully-functional form, so the comparison with Oracle and SQL Server is
> not instructive.
>
> On 28 Apr 2010 08:23:50 -0700, "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Axel,
>>
>>Wouldn't that request be on par with asking for Oracle or SQL Server to be
>>available on iPhone as opposed to their light versions for mobile
>>development.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Shao
>>
>>"Axel Siepmann" <no_spam_axel.siepmann@web.de> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> does anyone know if 'normal' SA-Databases - not only Ultralite - will be
>>> supported on the iPhone? Maybe with SA12? In SA11 there is olny support
>>> for UL.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Axel
>>

> --
> Breck Carter
>
> Visit SQLA! ...the new SQL Anywhere online community
>   http://sqla.stackexchange.com
>
> Blog: http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>
> RisingRoad helps SQL Anywhere developers make better databases...
>   http://www.risingroad.com/
>
> Breck.Carter at gmail

0
Shao
4/29/2010 10:33:16 AM
Alex,

Apple does not provide an operating system for the iPhone (and iPad) with the requirements and
capabilities of running a SQL Anywhere database.

In terms of Windows Mobile 7, we have supported Pocket PC 2002 right through to Windows Mobile 6 in
our software. Given the trend of our Windows Mobile OS support, I'm going to suggest it's highly
likely that we're going to provide support. Obviously I cannot provide any details until Microsoft
officially releases the OS.

--
Josh Savill
Sybase Inc. - Product Manager

On 4/29/2010 3:51 AM, Axel Siepmann wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> i am not sure. ;-) So far we only use SQL Anywhere databases on Windows
> Mobile Devices for the mobile version of our CRM-System. So it would be
> easier for us to port the software to the iPhone. We do not have any
> experiences with UL so far.
> Do you know if SQL Anywhere will run on Windows Mobile 7?
> We just think about what will be the right platform for us in the future
> because we will have to port the system to a new development enviroment
> anyway.
>
> Axel
>
> Am 28.04.2010 18:57, schrieb Josh Savill [Sybase]:
>> Axel,
>>
>> There are no plans at this time to support the SQL Anywhere database on
>> the iPhone.
>>
>> Are there specific features in SQL Anywhere you're looking to leverage
>> that are not available in UltraLite? Is there a specific business
>> problem you're attempting to address that you feel UltraLite is not
>> capable of handling?

0
Josh
4/29/2010 2:41:25 PM
I'm going to reword my "high likely" statement to: We will evaluate and determine if support can be
provided. When the Window Mobile 7 OS is released we will review it to determine the type of support
SQL Anywhere can provide on the OS.

--
Josh Savill
Sybase Inc. - Product Manager

On 4/29/2010 10:41 AM, Josh Savill [Sybase] wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Apple does not provide an operating system for the iPhone (and iPad)
> with the requirements and capabilities of running a SQL Anywhere database.
>
> In terms of Windows Mobile 7, we have supported Pocket PC 2002 right
> through to Windows Mobile 6 in our software. Given the trend of our
> Windows Mobile OS support, I'm going to suggest it's highly likely that
> we're going to provide support. Obviously I cannot provide any details
> until Microsoft officially releases the OS.

0
Josh
4/29/2010 2:56:19 PM
Ok, thanks a lot, Josh!

Am 29.04.2010 16:56, schrieb Josh Savill [Sybase]:
> I'm going to reword my "high likely" statement to: We will evaluate and
> determine if support can be provided. When the Window Mobile 7 OS is
> released we will review it to determine the type of support SQL Anywhere
> can provide on the OS.

0
Axel

3G-Iphone.org
Name: EffetsBed Email: efrainlynch40atgmaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: 3G-Iphone.org - Iphone, Iphone Jailbreak, Iphone Unblocked,Iphone Accessories Comments: Are you bored with wasting your time to search everywhere suitable Iphone Iphone Jailbreak related things? Now you no need to do such stuipd things, here at my blog we post articles daily for various unique, valuable, and newst related of Iphone Iphone Jailbreak tips for you. http://www.3g-iphone.org/ - Just Click here to find out more related with Iphone, phone Jailbreak From URL: http://en-GB.www.mozi...

APPLE-SA-2010-02-02-1 iPhone OS 3.1.3 and iPhone OS 3.1.3 for iPod touch
Several security issues are addressed for iPhone OS in this update. All of them are applicable to iPhone OS 1.0 through 3.1.2, and iPhone OS for iPod touch 1.1 through 3.1.2. The update will bring your device up to OS 3.1.3 http://www.dshield.org/indexd.html -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

What future for SqlAnywhere 9 ?
It seems that many developers still use the version 9. So is there a future for version 9 ? If you do not need complex DBMS server management Version 9 is still interesting. If I take my example, the package to install my software is only 16 Megabytes because I just need 'Personal data server' option which generates a win32 directory of 10 megabytes including 33 files. In version 10 win32 directory grows up to 34 megabytes and 52 files. In version 11 the new directory bin32 to 60 megabytes and 128 files. I would like to implement version 11, just to stay compatible with your ...

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Are Futures the future of DOMRequest?
Hi, There is a draft for futures (promise-like mechanism) [1] which hopefully would replace DOMRequest. One question is whether they could replace it. FirefoxOS and Gaia in particular make heavy use of current APIs which define DOMRequest objects or equivalent (SMSRequest, FileRequest...). If Futures can repace DOMRequest, that's awesome. If they cannot, one idea is to make DOMRequest inherit from DOMFuture. Thoughts? David [1] https://github.com/slightlyoff/DOMFuture ...

Would IW SA support Linux in future ?
Hope would have Embarcadero Linux too. Windows too expensive and price increasing, but customer request much lower costing. For multi-server purpose, specially in intraweb, we haven't competitive strength. ( Really hard to earn money of programming today, be discouraged ! ) On 11/15/2014 7:24 AM, C.H. Chiang wrote: > Hope would have Embarcadero Linux too. > Windows too expensive and price increasing, but customer request much lower costing. > For multi-server purpose, specially in intraweb, we haven't competitive strength. > ( Really hard to earn money of programm...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

The future of Indy or what are your plans for the future?
Sorry if a topic in the wrong section, but very interesting: what are the plans for the development of Indy (if any)? Are there any plans to create a bug-trekker? And from a personal question: Do you plan to implement support for SSH? I'll add the following question : will the SuperCore package (fibers, IOCP, etc.) be revived ? That was a great project ;) <pavel dobryakov> wrote in message news:125448@forums.codegear.com... > Sorry if a topic in the wrong section, but very interesting: what are the > plans > for the development of Indy (if any)? There are no d...

Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures?
Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures? > Should this formum be titled Futures or No Futures? I'd say possible futures if Sybase gets there act together sharply but most likely "slowly stagnating into a lingering death - no future"! Jack D. It depends, will we be disccussing the product, or your future career as a comedian? <g> Distruptive change is hard. Some people don't want to adapt. That's why when Microsoft originally introduced .Net, so many people, including many Microsoft MVPs, lobbied for the continuation of the "c...

SA
Anyone received their SA updates yet? > Anyone received their SA updates yet? No, but I got an email about the free trial, still waiting for SA "Jennifer-Ashley Kuiper" <jennifer@maindevelopment.com> wrote in message news:13369@forums.codegear.com... > Anyone received their SA updates yet? Not yet! "Farshad Mohajeri" <farshad@ATfmsoft.DOTnet> wrote in message news:13975@forums.codegear.com... > "Jennifer-Ashley Kuiper" <jennifer@maindevelopment.com> wrote in message > news:13369@forums.codegear.com... >> Any...

sa
Name: aaaaa Product: Firefox Summary: sa Comments: asasa Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; tr; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

sa
Name: karol Email: karol1gimatinteriadoteu Product: Shiretoko Summary: sa Comments: sas Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pl; rv:1.9.1b1) Gecko/20081007 Firefox/3.1b1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

sa
Name: sa Email: ryot89_at_hotil.com Product: Bon Echo Summary: sa Comments: as Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ja; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 ...

Studio SA to Single Product SA
Is it possible to switch from "Studio SA" to "single product SA"? Hi Farshad, > Is it possible to switch from "Studio SA" to "single product SA"? Yes, contact your local reseller for details. Groetjes, Bob Swart -- Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42.com) Forever Loyal to Delphi CodeGear Technology Partner -- CodeGear RAD Studio Reseller (BeNeLux) Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42 Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware Blog: http://www.drbob...

Web resources about - SA on iPhone - sybase.sqlanywhere.futures

Apple - iPhone 4S - The most amazing iPhone yet.
The faster dual-core A5 chip. The 8MP camera with all-new optics also shoots 1080p HD video. And introducing Siri. It's the most amazing iPhone ...

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and released on June 29, 2007. The 5th generation iPhone, the iPhone 4S , was announced on October 4, 2011, and released 10 days later. An iPhone ...

A Closer Look At The iPhone
Apple Inc's Phil Schiller shows John Blackstone the many features of the iPhone. Apple's latest product will go on sale this June.

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... 5S , 6 , and 6 Plus Bluetooth 4.0 The user interface is built around the device's multi-touch screen, including a virtual keyboard . The iPhone ...

iPhone Murder Apps2010 - Imdb
Directed by Lauren Palmigiano. With Emma Stone.

Find My iPhone - iTunes
If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your ...

iPhone - CrunchBase
Apple 's iPhone was introduced at MacWorld in January 2007 and officially went on sale June 29, 2007, selling 146,000 units within the first ...

How-to articles for iPhone development and Objective-C
This question is protected to prevent "thanks!", "me too!", or spam answers by new users. To answer it, you must have earned at least 10 reputation ...

Apple iPhone 3G 8GB - Unlocked - Amazon
The Apple iphone 3G 8GB - Unlocked is the second generation Apple device designed to work anywhere in the world. Just pop in your sim card and ...

Next iPhone News, Latests Rumors
News, Rumors and Tips about the Apple iPhone 5S, IPhone 5C, and IPhone 6