working on branches in powerbuilder

When working on our project we can occasionally have people working
different branches of the code.  Is there any way to manage this inside of
powerbuilder 9 without putting each branch in it's own repository and then
checking out from that repository when doing work?

0
Rich
7/11/2003 4:18:45 PM
sybase.source-control 1715 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Rich Catlett" <rc2581@sbc.com> wrote in message news:%235xMyl8RDHA.298@forums-2-dub...
> When working on our project we can occasionally have people working
> different branches of the code.  Is there any way to manage this inside of
> powerbuilder 9 without putting each branch in it's own repository and then
> checking out from that repository when doing work?

This will be mostly determined by the capabilities of the SCC package you're using.  PB has no concept of "branching" -
it knows objects in PBLs, that's all.  It's up to you to have the workspace properties set to point to the proper
"branch" within the SCC project.  When you do a GetLatestVersion (or, depending on the number of objects affected, a
PowerGen Bootstrap Import) it will get the tip revisions of the objects on that particular branch.

You cannot do branching with PBNative (well, not without a LOT of manual intervention).  You'll need to have an SCC
backend that supports concurrent development.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
VCI   Springfield, MA

Techwave2003 is coming!
http://www.sybase.com/techwave2003
PWB515 - Introduction to Source Code Control with PB9

0
Paul
7/11/2003 4:44:44 PM
We are currently evaluating cvs, which stores everything in one file.  To
set up source control you set the project.  Let's say I'm working in
EeaseDev/05.03.00 and this is the head of the repository.  Development
finishes then the head becomes EeaseDev/05.04.00, but I also have people
working on EeaseDev/05.03.01.  In this case I would have to create a branch
for 05.03.01 and then copy everything over to a different repository.  Now
I've got two seperate repositories that I would have to merge back together
later.  Is this the correct senario?  Is this the way it would work for all
source control systems?  Clearcase?  VSS?

Rich Catlett

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> "Rich Catlett" <rc2581@sbc.com> wrote in message
> > When working on our project we can occasionally have people working
> > different branches of the code.  Is there any way to manage this inside
of
> > powerbuilder 9 without putting each branch in it's own repository and
then
> > checking out from that repository when doing work?
> >

> This will be mostly determined by the capabilities of the SCC package
you're using.  PB has no concept of "branching" -
> it knows objects in PBLs, that's all.  It's up to you to have the
workspace properties set to point to the proper
> "branch" within the SCC project.  When you do a GetLatestVersion (or,
depending on the number of objects affected, a
> PowerGen Bootstrap Import) it will get the tip revisions of the objects on
that particular branch.

> You cannot do branching with PBNative (well, not without a LOT of manual
intervention).  You'll need to have an SCC
> backend that supports concurrent development.
>
> --
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
> VCI   Springfield, MA
> www.vcisolutions.com
>
> Techwave2003 is coming!
> http://www.sybase.com/techwave2003
> PWB515 - Introduction to Source Code Control with PB9

0
Rich
7/11/2003 5:09:02 PM
I'm not a CVS expert by any means..  I can tell you how it's done in StarTeam, but the correlation btw the two tools may
not be valid.

In StarTeam, you connect from PB to a Project/View combination.  A "view" is a labeled configuration of code objects,
and each view has a "branching" property.  When you check in a revised file, the default behavior is to increment the
tip revision (the "head" in CVS-speak), but you can set the view behavior to create a branched revision on checkin.
So, we typically have one active trunk for development, and we label each build as it's done.  If something comes up
with the current "production" release, we go back and create an "EBF" view based on the build label that corresponds to
that configuration, and that new View has a "branch on change" property.
The developer then creates a second workspace, sets its SCC "project" to point to the new view, and does a GLV to
refresh the code to that revision label.  (If you have the capability, it would be faster to burn the PBLs and stuff
onto a CD when the release is cut, and just unzip those to recreate the workspace...)
Now we have a development environment that mirrors the production release, and we can check out/revise/checkin objects
as we need them.  What happens in ST is we get a branched revision number for each changed object.  If the code fixes
the problem, we kick out a build and release it as an EBF.   The changes are merged back into the main trunk codeline,
but the EBF view isn't removed until we promote the trunk codeline to Production.

CVS has the right price, but from what I've seen, it's not "feature-rich" enough to support branching and merging with
PB.  Or maybe I just don't get it...

--

"Rich Catlett" <rc2581@sbc.com> wrote in message news:eC9o4B9RDHA.343@forums-2-dub...
> We are currently evaluating cvs, which stores everything in one file.  To
> set up source control you set the project.  Let's say I'm working in
> EeaseDev/05.03.00 and this is the head of the repository.  Development
> finishes then the head becomes EeaseDev/05.04.00, but I also have people
> working on EeaseDev/05.03.01.  In this case I would have to create a branch
> for 05.03.01 and then copy everything over to a different repository.  Now
> I've got two seperate repositories that I would have to merge back together
> later.  Is this the correct senario?  Is this the way it would work for all
> source control systems?  Clearcase?  VSS?
>
> Rich Catlett
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote in message
> > "Rich Catlett" <rc2581@sbc.com> wrote in message
> > > When working on our project we can occasionally have people working
> > > different branches of the code.  Is there any way to manage this inside
> of
> > > powerbuilder 9 without putting each branch in it's own repository and
> then
> > > checking out from that repository when doing work?
> > >

> > This will be mostly determined by the capabilities of the SCC package
> you're using.  PB has no concept of "branching" -
> > it knows objects in PBLs, that's all.  It's up to you to have the
> workspace properties set to point to the proper
> > "branch" within the SCC project.  When you do a GetLatestVersion (or,
> depending on the number of objects affected, a
> > PowerGen Bootstrap Import) it will get the tip revisions of the objects on
> that particular branch.
> >
> > You cannot do branching with PBNative (well, not without a LOT of manual
> intervention).  You'll need to have an SCC
> > backend that supports concurrent development.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
> > VCI   Springfield, MA
> > www.vcisolutions.com
> >
> > Techwave2003 is coming!
> > http://www.sybase.com/techwave2003
> > PWB515 - Introduction to Source Code Control with PB9

0
Paul
7/11/2003 5:58:54 PM
When you talk about setting the view behavior, is that something you do
through ST or does that work through powerbuilder?  This sounds like what
you could do with cvs except consider that cvs only has a project, and you
would have to handle the views externely from cvs.  Create the branch and
then move a copy of it to it's own location so that powerbuilder could point
to it.  You then might have to use an external tool to merge the branches
back together.

> [...]
> > > it knows objects in PBLs, that's all.  It's up to you to have the
> > workspace properties set to point to the proper
> > > "branch" within the SCC project.  When you do a GetLatestVersion (or,
> > depending on the number of objects affected, a
> > > PowerGen Bootstrap Import) it will get the tip revisions of the
objects on
> > that particular branch.
> > >
> > > You cannot do branching with PBNative (well, not without a LOT of
manual
> > intervention).  You'll need to have an SCC
> > > backend that supports concurrent development.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
> > > VCI   Springfield, MA
> > > www.vcisolutions.com
> > >
> > > Techwave2003 is coming!
> > > http://www.sybase.com/techwave2003
> > > PWB515 - Introduction to Source Code Control with PB9

7/11/2003 7:07:29 PM
"Rich Catlett" <rc2581@sbc.com> wrote in message news:eaXiEE%23RDHA.191@forums-2-dub...
> When you talk about setting the view behavior, is that something you do
> through ST or does that work through powerbuilder?  This sounds like what
> you could do with cvs except consider that cvs only has a project, and you
> would have to handle the views externely from cvs.  Create the branch and
> then move a copy of it to it's own location so that powerbuilder could point
> to it.  You then might have to use an external tool to merge the branches
> back together.
>
> Rich Catlett

Setting the view branching behavior is totally within the StarTeam GUI.

--
Paul

0
Paul
7/12/2003 1:43:50 AM
Theoretically, QVCS PRO (www.qumasoft.com) supports branching via the use of
labels. We use QVCS PRO in our shop but have not yet used the branching
capability. It sounds relatively straight-forward: apply a label after
you've checked in your code. Later on you can recall all of the code that
has the same label.

Olan

> "Rich Catlett" <rc2581@sbc.com> wrote in message
> > When working on our project we can occasionally have people working
> > different branches of the code.  Is there any way to manage this inside
of
> > powerbuilder 9 without putting each branch in it's own repository and
then
> > checking out from that repository when doing work?
> >

> This will be mostly determined by the capabilities of the SCC package
you're using.  PB has no concept of "branching" -
> it knows objects in PBLs, that's all.  It's up to you to have the
workspace properties set to point to the proper
> "branch" within the SCC project.  When you do a GetLatestVersion (or,
depending on the number of objects affected, a
> PowerGen Bootstrap Import) it will get the tip revisions of the objects on
that particular branch.

> You cannot do branching with PBNative (well, not without a LOT of manual
intervention).  You'll need to have an SCC
> backend that supports concurrent development.
>
> --
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
> VCI   Springfield, MA
> www.vcisolutions.com
>
> Techwave2003 is coming!
> http://www.sybase.com/techwave2003
> PWB515 - Introduction to Source Code Control with PB9

0
Olan

The project appears to be under source control, but the associated source control plug-in is not installed on this computer. Source control will be disabled for this project.
Hi EveryoneNot sure if this is the right forum to post this on but here goes anyway.I have a project built in VS2003. I would like to open this with VS2008.  It was created by another company and we have been asked to modify the project. When I open the project it comes up with a message "The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The projects will be treated as not under source control.This makes a large amount of the project unavailable. How do I stop this and view the whole project?  Rob"Man is the best computer…and the only one that ...

working with source control
Hi To all , It's first Time that iam working with source control , befire i have pb5 and now pb8 , we have 5 developers and we wan't to work with source control, how can we do that ? Hey, Have a look at the powerBuilder users guide. You can find it on the Sybase website : http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-pb/pbg0800e/pbug The info you need is in "Part 1: The PowerBuilder Environment / Chapter 3 Using Source Control". You might as well check the "sybase.public.powerbuilder.source_control" newsgroup for more info. HTH, Davy &...

Branching in source control
pb8.01/win2k i am aware of the concepts invloved with branching what i want to know is anyone using branching in powerbuilder ? does it work well with powerbuilder due to the nature of pbl's containing compiled code (will it be safer if I do a full build if i merge branches etc) any feedback or advice here would be good thanks alex ...

powerbuilder source control
We would like to use Team foundation server as source control for Powerbuilder. Is there some documentation how to use this. Thanks Eric There is an SCC interface available for TFS. After that, from the PowerBuilder perspective, it is no different than working with any other SCC provider. Mike "ontsnapt" <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:462f2ae7$1@forums-1-dub... > We would like to use Team foundation server as source control for > Powerbuilder. > > Is there some documentation how to use this. > > Thanks > >...

Powerbuilder Source Control Setup
Hello all, we are using Powerbuilder in a team development environment using VisualSource Safe. The setup is the same as in PB6 anf before - one central set of libraries on the server and working libraries locally. This is the same as the recommended setup for PB7 <= 5031. In the document "Powerbuilder Source Control Recommended Setup" I found on the Sybase site a new kind of setup supported by pb7 7017 and above. Can someone explain me this setup, esp. by using VisualSourceSafe, more in detail? Which kind set of object I have to register? How to deal with the ...

Source control, branching/merging
We have PB6.5 in our shop (planing to migrate to PB8.3 sometime this year) and we have 3+ developers maintaining/developing the applications. Currently we are using ObjectCycle on some applications for source control. At present we manually manage object sign out sheet when objects get assigned to developers. When developer is finished with the object then the next person can work with it. This creates huge waiting lists and bottleneck for the objects. We need to have multiple developers working on the same object and when DeveloperA is done with his change we to merge DeveloperA ch...

Source Control
This is implemented in a most stupid fashion. If my VPN goes down because the dodgy Kolkata hotel wi-fi drops out then Visual Studio locks up and tells me it can't comm with the TFS server, which is fine except sometimes it gets an some sort of loop and just won't stop looking for the TFS server (but that's a seperate issue).Under File | Source Control there is no 'Work Offline' menu item. There damn well should be. Presently the only way to get into offline mode is close the solution, reopen it, wait a minute for VS to realise the TFS server aint there and then you given...

PowerBuilder & Source Control
Hello, We have found that when moving from PowerBuilder 7 build 10047 (or lower) to PowerBuilder 7 build 10069 (or higher) that we have a problem interacting with our datawindow objects which are under source control with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6.0. From the library painter, one can select a registered object and request, "Compare Differences..." which of course should let you know if the object in your pibble and the object in the source control database have any differences. Normally, when the object is checked in and sitting on the network baseline, one would cert...

Visual Source Control integration with Source Control (Beta 2)
Our team of ten developers currently uses Visual InterDev 6.0 for website development.  Our development server runs FrontPage server extensions that integrate nicely into Microsoft Source Control.   All developers can work of one common server, we check out files as we need, and check them back in when we are done so that we don't cross over each others work.  This system has worked out very well for us and we are trying to duplicate this setup with 2005 Visual Studio Beta 2.  It appears that the same or similar tools are available in 2005 Beta 2, but I have not be...

File-->Source Control-->Open From Source Control
Just switching over to VS 2005 and in older versions I would always do: File-->Source Control-->Open From Source Control in order to open a new project that was located in Visual Source Safe.  However, now the option is: File-->Source Control-->Launch Microsoft Visual Source Safe I want to know how to use the new options to get and open a solution from Visual Source Safe using VS 2005.  Thanks...

Source Control: problem with projects/files auto added to source control
I have library projects that are in source control. Others projects, more personnal projects, are not (including my solution .sln). However, everytime I create a new personal project (lets say a windows application project to help me test a library project), Visual studio automatically try to add the project in the source-control. As long as the project is created in a solution that contains a project in the source control, visual studio takes the initiative of adding entries in my pending changes list: "add project.csproc". From there, I have to go to that...

PB8 source control interface not working at all?
Dear readers, I dare to repost my problem cause I don't have any idea and can't believe I'm the only one who run into this issue...? PB 8004 on W2K SP2 Source control systems Visual Sourcesafe 6 and CVS 1.2 w/ Jalindi Igloo - I generated a new project in VSS, set up the users and rights - Copied PBLs of an existing project to a trial directory - Made a new workspace there with a new target from the existing app - Set up the source control props for the workspace with the working directory pointing to the one used so far - Connected to VSS successfully - Added the...

PowerBuilder 9.X Source Control
Hello to all. Wondering if I can post a question. We just upgraded to PB9 & trying to figure out how to best take advantage of PB's new Source Control. Where can I find some documents, white papers, or documentation on how to use Source Control in PB9? Would appreciate the help. Thank You. Start with these articles... Many folks have commented that they were helpful in understanding the SCC changes in PB8 and 9. http://www.sys-con.com/pbdj/archives2/0812/horan/ http://www.sys-con.com/pbdj/archives2/0901/horan/ -- Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <Al> wrote in mes...

Powerbuilder 9.0
With our current setup, we keep all application PB objects on a shared server(call it W:\Development). We check out from there to the developers local(C) drive, finish work and check back in to W:. We currently use 7.0 and we are in the process of migrating over to 9.0. With 9.0, it seems when I check out an object to my local, the object on the shared W drive doesnt show that it is checked out, and can be modified. Is there any source control security to protect the shared workspace on the W:\? If someone has an object checked out locally, you can still go and make a change t...

Web resources about - working on branches in powerbuilder - sybase.source-control

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles