Warm standby not keeping up #2

ASE 15.5 CE, Rep Svr 15.2

I have an update to primary that happens all the time
(single record, date & status change). My warm standby
replicate server is not keeping up with this update. The rep
queue starts filling up every time I enable it. Replicate
server maint account is "awaiting command" most of the time?
How do I trouble shoot this issue when I don't have any
latency and the replicate server is simply not keeping up
with rep server or rep server is not sneding fast enough?

Thx,
rick_806
0
rick_806
1/11/2011 3:03:15 PM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 0 followers. Follow

<rick_806> wrote in message news:4d2c7133.7440.1681692777@sybase.com...
> ASE 15.5 CE, Rep Svr 15.2
>
> I have an update to primary that happens all the time
> (single record, date & status change). My warm standby
> replicate server is not keeping up with this update. The rep
> queue starts filling up every time I enable it. Replicate
> server maint account is "awaiting command" most of the time?
> How do I trouble shoot this issue when I don't have any
> latency and the replicate server is simply not keeping up
> with rep server or rep server is not sneding fast enough?

some thoughts...

check what is going on with  'maint user'
check showplan and dbcc sqltext of maint user
check for table scan and missing indexes at replicate side ..
if you have test databaseor if it is easier to create test table in any test
envornment verify how long it takes to apply same update manually versus
repserver applying it

-HTH
Manish Negandhi
[TeamSybase]

0
Manish_Negandhi
1/12/2011 12:56:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. My ASE servers have 15 cpu's, rep svr
is only one. This may be why rep server queue is filling up.

I am now trying to find out if a standard "warm standby"
setup will utilize batch SQL via the sp_setrepdbmode? I
noticed that my ASE servers have this turned off, meaning (I
think) that the many updates are not turned into a batch SQL
at the primary/replicate side? Perhaps this would help
reduce the load on rep server? I have not been able to
figure out from the docs if this setting works in a "warm
standby" setup?

> <rick_806> wrote in message
> > news:4d2c7133.7440.1681692777@sybase.com... ASE 15.5 CE,
> Rep Svr 15.2 >
> > I have an update to primary that happens all the time
> > (single record, date & status change). My warm standby
> > replicate server is not keeping up with this update. The
> > rep queue starts filling up every time I enable it.
> > Replicate server maint account is "awaiting command"
> > most of the time? How do I trouble shoot this issue when
> > I don't have any latency and the replicate server is
> > simply not keeping up with rep server or rep server is
> not sneding fast enough? >
> some thoughts...
>
> check what is going on with  'maint user'
> check showplan and dbcc sqltext of maint user
> check for table scan and missing indexes at replicate side
> . if you have test databaseor if it is easier to create
> test table in any test  envornment verify how long it
> takes to apply same update manually versus  repserver
> applying it
>

> -HTH
> Manish Negandhi
> [TeamSybase]

0
rick_806
1/13/2011 6:59:12 PM
On 1/11/2011 10:03 AM, rick_806 wrote:
> ASE 15.5 CE, Rep Svr 15.2
>
> I have an update to primary that happens all the time
> (single record, date&  status change). My warm standby
> replicate server is not keeping up with this update. The rep
> queue starts filling up every time I enable it. Replicate
> server maint account is "awaiting command" most of the time?
> How do I trouble shoot this issue when I don't have any
> latency and the replicate server is simply not keeping up
> with rep server or rep server is not sneding fast enough?
>
> Thx,
> rick_806

How far away is your primary and replicated servers?
You can post ping result between 2 servers.

It is good idea install the RS in a new Linux 4 core box, cheap and fast.
0
IQRules
1/15/2011 12:11:11 AM
Can you provide some history on this replication setup?

If replication used to keep up (ie, queues didn't fill up) then ... what's changed recently?  Were there any hardware or
software upgrades?  Any changes in ASE or RS configurations?  Any new network hardware or network reconfigurations?  Did
you recently ramp up the activity in the PDS, or add more replicated databases and tables to the mix?

Have you done any sort of monitoring of the repserver?  Does the repserver process show up with high cpu usage?  What
kind of service times are you seeing on the disks underlying the stable device?

Have you done any sort of monitoring of the RDS?  What kind of service times are you seeing on the disks underlying your
RDB?  Is the RDS cpu or disk bound?

Are you using any of the newer replication features like DML replication or dynamic SQL (on the DSI connection)?

-------------------

Assuming the RDS is ASE 15.x, do you have statement cache (and literal autoparam) enabled?

The ASE 15.x compiler is mucho slower than the ASE 12.x compiler and this can show up in form of 'slow' DSI processing
(and backed up RS queues).  The slow down comes from the RDS having to compile every DML statement submitted over the
DSI connection.

Having some memory allocated for statement cache, and enabling literal autoparam, allows the RDS to skip the compile
phase on repetitive, look-alike DML statements.  This in turn can help drain the RS queues more quickly.

If you do have statement cache enabled in the RDS, run some sp_sysmon's on the RDS.  Take a look at the
procedure/statement cache section to see how your statement cache is performing.  It would be interesting to see if
you're thrashing your statement cache (eg, the cache is too small, literal autoparam is disabled).

rick_806 wrote:
> ASE 15.5 CE, Rep Svr 15.2
>
> I have an update to primary that happens all the time
> (single record, date & status change). My warm standby
> replicate server is not keeping up with this update. The rep
> queue starts filling up every time I enable it. Replicate
> server maint account is "awaiting command" most of the time?
> How do I trouble shoot this issue when I don't have any
> latency and the replicate server is simply not keeping up
> with rep server or rep server is not sneding fast enough?
>
> Thx,
> rick_806
0
Mark

Warm Standby with 2 standby servers?
Hi All, We currently use rep server (12.0 & ase 11.5 - but moving to rep 12.5 and ase 12.5), in a standard warm standby configuration. Is it possible to have 3 machines in the warm standby? ie. 2 replicated copies of the database. I don't mind if the 3rd machine isn't quite as "warm" as the others. I'm just thinking that if something terminal happened to the server room housing the primary and replicated database, it would be nice to have a machine located elsewhere that could be used to keep things going. Why not just move the replicate machine? W...

warm standby without Rep Server
I would like to replicate my OLTP database to a DSS database, but don't have money in the budget for Replication Server. Does anyone have a relatively easy way to use transaction logs to keep a reporting database syncronized with a production database? > I would like to replicate my OLTP database to a DSS database, but don't > have money in the budget for Replication Server. Does anyone have a > relatively easy way to use transaction logs to keep a reporting database > syncronized with a production database? Sure, just write scripts to dump transaction lo...

steps in shutting down rep server with warm standby
Hi, I'm new to rep-server. We've just set-up a warm standby using rep-server. Can anyone pls. tell me the step by step procedure on shutting down the warm-standby system? (what commands to execute to which server (active/standby/repserver). I would like also to know the step by step procedure in starting up the warm standby. <saz> wrote in message news:3f98bfda.2727.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I'm new to rep-server. We've just set-up a warm standby > using rep-server. > Can anyone pls. tell me the step by step procedure on > shut...

Rep Server Errors in Warm Standby 11.5.1
Hi, I have just set up a Warm Standby Replication System and although all the connections are up and running, no data is reaching the 'standby' database. The data is sitting in the Inbound queue. I'm getting the following Errors returned from Rep Agent: 9261 and 9214, but I can't find any reference to these codes anywhere in Sybooks or on the Web. Any ideas? 'admin logical_status' shows both Databases active, where I thought one would show as 'active' and the other as 'standby'. The installation was a bit fraught to say the leas...

Can Warm Standby become Primary for another Rep Server
Hello, We currently have a Rep Server environment with a primary server A and warm standby server B. The Rep Server for this environment is RS1. The equipment lies in LA and we would like to migrate it to Bellevue, WA. The proposal is to build a new warm standby server C and to have the RS1 Rep Server point the warm standby from server B [LA] to server C [Bellevue]. After that I have been asked if it is possible to have warm standby server C for Rep Server RS1 to become a primary for a new Rep Server environment RS2 and a new warm standby in Bellevue called sever D Ulti...

Migrating rep server with Warm standby and database re-org
This is what I want to do: 1) move a warm standby to a new box with dump/load. 2) suspend the connection to the new box 3) bcp out all of the tables 4) create a new (improved) database 5) bcp all the data in and recreate the indexes 6) re-install rs_install_primary.sql 7) change permissions on SPs in target database 8) perform a switch active to make the new box the production box. 9) recreate the warm standby on the second new box I try this and replication does not work.. no messages in ltm, repserver and sqlserver logs and everything starts up fine. I remembered to do the sp...

Standby Server #2
Does any one can tell me which versions of standby server work with Netware 6.5? There's a customer with version 5.12 working with Netware 5.0 and I want to know if this could work with Netware 6.5 or if they have to buy a new version. A. Madrid >Does any one can tell me which versions of standby server work with Netware 6.5? Caminosoft? http://caminosoft.com/solutions/standbyserver/ -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are no...

Warm standby #2
Hello, Does anyone know if replicating from a PDS to an Active server (using the logical connection) in an warm standby architecure, the data will be automatically replicated in the standby database? Do I need to set some parameter in the rep agent? Thanks for your input.... Ciao Alfredo. <iovacchi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7BFFDF98F27D72920044A30485256AAB.0044A31385256AAB@webforums... > Hello, > > Does anyone know if replicating from a PDS to an Active server (using the > logical connection) in an warm standby architecure, the data will be >...

Warm-standby #2
My question is about warm-standby licensing. My boss is telling me that for a warm-standby repserver setup, we need to pay for the same number of seats on the standby server as we have on the active server. This seems like a total rip-off since they are effectively the same seats, they would just switch server in the event of failure. Has he got this wrong or is everybody getting ripped off in the same way ? Lydia ...

Warm standby not keeping up
Setup: - warm standby (ASE 12.5.4, RS 12.6) where one rep server is handling only one logical connection. - replication was enabled in the active database using sp_reptostandby <userDatabaseName>, "all". - standby database was initialized with dump/load. - during the dump/load process, primary db transaction log usage did not increase. - during the dump/load process, the rep server stable queue usage increased by 13MB. - admin logical_status showed standby connection as 'Active' within seconds of resuming connection to standby. Problem: - the rep se...

standby server #2
I 've installed a Standby server from Caminosoft , when failover over occurs , the standby server reboots and hangs after startup.ncf has been excuted and stops without mounting any volumes , with no server name. When I type "down" and restart server , the standby server comes back online and become the primary server . Anyone knows how to solve the problems ? Thanks ! -- hktss ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You need to contact Caminosoft for help with their product. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Knowledge Par...

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

Warm Standby and MSA #2
Hello, I am facing the following problem. I had a warm standby environment up and running. I wanted to add an other connection for an other site using MSA, in the same Replication Server. So at the end, 1 Warm Standby environment and 1 environment with definitions and subscriptions using the same Replication Server. Somehow at the end, the standby connection(connection type:Standby) of the warm standby environment returned to be Replicate only out of nowhere at least for me. Any ideas why this thing happened and how this can be returned to its original state? Thanks in advanc...

Warm standby replication #2
can we have WS set up between server which has 2 different character set . ex Primary has unicode utf08 and ws in iso_1. We aleady have WS setup between 2 server which has character set iso_1 Regards and Thanks RK > can we have WS set up between server which has 2 > different character set . ex Primary has unicode utf08 and > ws in iso_1. > > We aleady have WS setup between 2 server which has > character set iso_1 > > Regards and Thanks > RK I don't think so. ...

Web resources about - Warm standby not keeping up #2 - sybase.rep-server

Standby power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Standby power , also called vampire power , vampire draw , phantom load , or leaking electricity ("phantom load" and " leaking electricity " ...

Fremantle clash has Colin Sylvia on standby as Pies rule out Jesse White, Ben Reid
Collingwood's key position options have taken a double hit ahead of its season opener against Fremantle with swingman Ben Reid and ruck-forward ...

North Korea puts rockets on standby
Livemint North Korea puts rockets on standby Herald Sun NORTH Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has ordered preparations for strategic rocket strikes ...

Firefighters on standby as NSW swelters
Firefighters are on standby across NSW as temperatures soar and total fire bans cover much of the state.

NASA Puts Curiosity Rover On Standby: Solar Blasts Head For Mars
Curiosity hunkered down as the sun unleashed a blast that raced toward Mars.

Qantas future on standby as changes made to ownership rules
Qantas faces the possibility of years in business limbo whether or not Tony Abbott succeeds in an unlikely move to scrap the 49 per cent foreign ...

Wallabies put scrumhalf Nic White on standby for 2015 Rugby World Cup after missing squad
... World Cup squad. Former Brumbies star Matt Giteau can also fill in at scrumhalf if there is an injury to Genia or Phipps. White is on standby ...

European space probe mission halted as Philae lander goes into standby mode ...
ABC Online European space probe mission halted as Philae lander goes into standby mode ... ABC Online The European Space Agency says the Philae ...

CF-18 pilots on standby to escort Santa across Canada
Santa Claus may see you when you're sleeping, but only a privileged few can actually see Santa during his high-speed international flight on ...

North Korea warns it has 'powerful striking means' on standby
Hinting at a missile launch, North Korea delivered a fresh round of war rhetoric Thursday with claims it has 'powerful striking means' on standby. ...