upgrading rep server

when i upgraded rep server from 12 to 12.5(or 12.6) some
year back, i pretty much loaded the 12 rssd into the new
12.5 rssd and then booted the rep server and resolved issues
to get it working.

i hear that there is another way to do this by using some
(sybase?) utility to extract all replication objects and
recreating them on the new rep server.

i think that should work.

but any anticipated issues with this?

also if the replication enviornment had multiple 12.5 rep
servers with routes runing between them and rep servers are
upgraded one by one to ver 15, will there be version
compatibility issues (due to the routes going between 12.5
rep server and the newly upgraded 15 rep server)?

appreciate any insights/suggestions.
0
vtpcnk
1/5/2011 4:04:38 PM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 0 followers. Follow

re: upgrading repserver ...

There are 3 main parts to upgrading a repserver:  upgrade RS software, upgrade RSSD database, upgrade user databases

Upgrading the RS software is somewhat straight forward (see RS manuals for details).

For the database upgrades I use 'rs_init -r' and resource files (samples located in ${SYBASE_REP}/init/rs).

re:  route upgrades ...

The route upgrade process looks at the version level of both repservers (one at each end of a route) and sets the route
version to the lowest version of the 2 repservers.  Since newer versions of the RS software are backwards compatible
with older versions of the software, this should insure both repservers are capable of communicating with each other.

If your routes are currently up to date based on RS 12.x software, you shouldn't need to worry about route upgrades
until both repservers (one at each end of the route) have been upgraded to RS 15.x software.

vtpcnk wrote:
> when i upgraded rep server from 12 to 12.5(or 12.6) some
> year back, i pretty much loaded the 12 rssd into the new
> 12.5 rssd and then booted the rep server and resolved issues
> to get it working.
>
> i hear that there is another way to do this by using some
> (sybase?) utility to extract all replication objects and
> recreating them on the new rep server.
>
> i think that should work.
>
> but any anticipated issues with this?
>
> also if the replication enviornment had multiple 12.5 rep
> servers with routes runing between them and rep servers are
> upgraded one by one to ver 15, will there be version
> compatibility issues (due to the routes going between 12.5
> rep server and the newly upgraded 15 rep server)?
>
> appreciate any insights/suggestions.
0
Mark

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

disabled rep agent but still have rep agent in rep server
Hi, I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin who_is_down)? benny I saw it couple of times after issuing sp_stop_rep_agent, only rebooting ASE with rep.agent helped. HTH, Eugene Benny Pei wrote: > Hi, > > I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How > come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin > who_is_down)? > > benny You have disabled it in the DB directly, but perhaps you havent notified Repserve...

Rep Server 12.1 fails to start after Upgrading SQL Server
Hi Gurus, We upgraded our ASE Server from 12.5.0.3 to ASE 15.0.1. The upgrade went well except for one glitch, the Rep Server fails to Start. We are using Rep Server 12.1. The error we are receiving in the Rep Server error log is as follows : I. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. Reading 'WICTEST3.RSSD..rs_config' for system configuration parameters. E. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. ERROR #31083 GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) - (1708) Cannot connect to RSSD server. ct_connect failed. E. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. ERROR #1027 GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) - (1708) Open Client Client-Library error: Error: 8408371...

rep server upgrade
We currently have 4 Sybase Sql servers running 11.0.2.1 and a rep server running 11.0.3. All 4 sql servers act as both primary and replicate dataservers. We want to upgrade to ASE 12.0 and Rep server 12.0. Several questions. Can we upgrade the data servers 1 at a time or do we need to upgrade all at once? Do we need to upgrade the repserver first or the data servers first. Any other issues that we should be aware of in upgrading? you can upgrade in any order, first SQL Server or RepServer and 1 or all at a time. I would suggest first upgrading to ASE 12.0 and RepAgent...

Location of rep. queues and rep.server???
We have a Warm/standby system in our LAN system. What I really want to do is to move the unix box on which standby server runs to an aother building(different physical location) because of disaster puposes. As you guess, there will be a communication line between active and standby servers and I am not sure how it will affect the replication when the line fails. Should I replace the replication queue and the rep server on active side or on the standby side? Which is the bestway? Regards. ALPER ONEY I.S.E TAKASBANK INC. it is recommended that the warm standby replication serv...

Maximum rep agents per rep server
Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a single rep server can support? On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:34:23 -0800, salleeb wrote: > Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a > single rep server can support? I haven't heard of any such figure. My guess is that this depends on the OS and hardware, network bandwidth, and amount of activity of each rep agent - i.e. "it depends". Michael -- Michael Peppler [TeamSybase] mpeppler@peppler.org - http://www.peppler.org/ Sybase DBA/Developer Sybase on Linux FAQ: http://www.peppler.org/...

Upgrade ASE and Rep Server
It's been a long time since I played with rep server and I just started a job where next weekend they want to upgrade ASE to 64-bit. My question is do we have to upgrade both primary and replicate to 64-bit or can replicate remain 32-bit. Rep server is on the replicated machine. TIA Nick <NCousin> wrote in message news:EE15DDA47D104B6D005E1D7585256CFE.005E1DB585256CFE@webforums... > It's been a long time since I played with rep server and I just started a > job where next weekend they want to upgrade ASE to 64-bit. My question is > do we have to upgrad...

Rep Server log message from Rep Agent/DB2
Receive the following message in RS log when RA-DB2 connects. Is this a problem? If so, any ideas? RA-DB2 is using ISO-1 charset while RS and ASE is using roman8. I. 2003/09/15 04:56:56. Replication Agent version (101) for 'RA_LTM_EOC.DB2P' does not match the default LTI version for this Replication Server 300 using version 101. Jason, > 'RA_LTM_EOC.DB2P' does not match the default LTI version for > this Replication Server 300 using version 101. This is an informational error message only. It indicates the level of LTL (Log Transfer Language) that ...

renaming server.db in multieple rep server definitions
Newsgroups: sybase.public.rep-server Cc: sjmudd@pobox.com Subject: From: Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@unicorn.wl0.org> Date: 27 Mar 2004 18:57:21 +0100 Message-ID: <86vfkqdvge.fsf@unicorn.wl0.org> Lines: 30 --text follows this line-- Hello, I'm pretty new to replication server and have taken on the task of managing an existing system. (ase 11.9.2 and repserver 12.0) There are various flows and I have replication definitions of the form <table>_def_<sourceX> and subscriptions of the form <table>_sub_<destinationY> where sourceX and destinationY a...

Server to Server, both Servers in same Tree
Hi, where could be problem when some time connection is not established after server restart, but some time it is OK. (I waited whole day) Filters are opened for all IP from and to both servers in VPN. Both servers are BM3.7 SP2, NDS Version 10350.19 March 18, 2003 Slave server contain RW replica of the container where the server resides. (I tried also Master replica) here are also licenses for NW6 and BM3.7 Master server is in different replica which is not on slave server. Both servers are on same subnet. Packet capture shows only IP 57 communication from Master to ...

Rep Agent can't connect to Rep Server
I am running Sybase ASE 12.0 on NT. This server has the RSSD database. Replication Server 12.1 is running on the same machine. 2 Sybase ASE 12.0 Servers both running on HP have tables to be replicated to a database running on the NT Sybase Server. But Rep Agents running on HP Sybase ASE fail with same message: 00:00000:00112:2001/11/16 11:00:23.71 server Started Rep Agent on database, 'db' (dbid = 12). 00:00000:00112:2001/11/16 11:00:23.83 server RepAgent(12): The Rep Agent Thread will retry the connection to the Replication Server every 60 second(s). (RepSvr = R...

Rep Server Upgrade
Hello, We have rep server in the following environment: Rep Server version 12.0 RSSD ASE version 11.9.2 Primary and Replicate ASE version 12.5 We want to upgrade rep server and the RSSD ASE versions to 12.5. Does anyone have any experience with this, as to what the order of events should be? Rep server first or RSSD ASE first? Does it matter? Thanks, Nancy ...

Which rep server
Hi, I got Replication sever 11.5.1 and 12.x for evaluation. Reading both manuals there are small differences. Can I use rep server 12.x with ASE 11.9.2 ? Thanks for tips \\\Georg Yes you can use. "frankge17" <frankge17@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ewPIVjBNBHA.275@forums.sybase.com... > Hi, > > I got Replication sever 11.5.1 and 12.x for evaluation. Reading both > manuals there are small differences. Can I use rep server 12.x with ASE > 11.9.2 ? > > Thanks for tips > \\\Georg > > > > > >...

server or no server
i have been looking in to slipstreaming windows up dates over the net work ..i have also been thinking (bad thing to do ) installing the os over the net (image).i know you can do this over win2k server using rras server but could i do this in novell 5.1 with out bulding and paying for a server lience. our network is spread across 6 sites one server to each site a gig backbone on each site but connect by 100 mb line .not knowing novell to well but they seem not to be use the OS and Server to well .any help or info would be useful Nigel, > i have been looking in to...

Web resources about - upgrading rep server - sybase.rep-server

Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware - YouTube
If you're watching this video, you've probably seen the other videos that prove it is possible to upgrade from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows ...

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Apple users face issues upgrading to iOS 9
Apple customers were facing issues while upgrading to iOS 9, which was released this morning in Australia, technology blog 9to5Mac reported. ...

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube