rep server 12.1 and ase 12.5.3 rep agent not starting

Dear all,

Here is the scenario..
Machine 1.
-Rep server ver 12.1
-ASE 12.5.3 having
---A. RSSD db
---B. Replicate dbs

Primary databases are on different machines each with ASE
12.5.3.

The primary sql server names are the same but the interface
file entry in Machine 1 has different names for each.

eg. Machine1
ASE server name test1
Rep server name rep1

Interface file entries:
[test1]
master=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048
query=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048

[rep1]
master=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500
query=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500

[primary1]
master=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048
query=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048

[primary2]
master=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048
query=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048

[primary3]
master=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048
query=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048

The actual sql server name on the primary machines are PM1
for all.

When we try to add database connection, the error it throws
is
"found sql server named 'PM1' expected to find 'primary1'

DSI comes but the rep agent doesn't.

If I rename it in the interface file of Machine1 to PM1 (in
which case I can have only one entry and hence connect to
only one primary db) then it works fine.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sanjeev
0
Sanjeev
6/17/2008 10:22:58 AM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Always a good idea to standardise Server names globally otherwise its quite
confusing as there are three opportunities to mix them up.

Machine 1 interface file
PM1 interface file
PM1 @@servername

PM1 should defines a specific server instance and be used in all interface
files in the replication system and have @@servername set to that. Remote
clients can call it whatever they like in their own interfaces!

Sanjeev wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Here is the scenario..
> Machine 1.
> -Rep server ver 12.1
> -ASE 12.5.3 having
> ---A. RSSD db
> ---B. Replicate dbs
>
> Primary databases are on different machines each with ASE
> 12.5.3.
>
> The primary sql server names are the same but the interface
> file entry in Machine 1 has different names for each.
>
> eg. Machine1
> ASE server name test1
> Rep server name rep1
>
> Interface file entries:
> [test1]
> master=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048
> query=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048
>
> [rep1]
> master=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500
> query=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500
>
> [primary1]
> master=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048
> query=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048
>
> [primary2]
> master=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048
> query=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048
>
> [primary3]
> master=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048
> query=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048
>

> The actual sql server name on the primary machines are PM1
> for all.
>
> When we try to add database connection, the error it throws
> is
> "found sql server named 'PM1' expected to find 'primary1'
>
> DSI comes but the rep agent doesn't.
>
> If I rename it in the interface file of Machine1 to PM1 (in
> which case I can have only one entry and hence connect to
> only one primary db) then it works fine.
>
> Any ideas will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Sanjeev

0
peter
6/17/2008 7:58:47 PM
Peter,

Thanks for your input, I understand that it is very
important that we need to have seperate server names for
each instances of ASE. However, we have 30+ production
servers in differnt countries and all of them have the same
@@servername.

Our porject is to replicate part of the database to our
central server (Machine 1).

From your mail it is difficult to identify the solution.
Appreciate if you could clarify further.

Once again Thanks and appreciate your help.
regards
Sanjeev

> Always a good idea to standardise Server names globally
> otherwise its quite confusing as there are three
> opportunities to mix them up.
>
> Machine 1 interface file
> PM1 interface file
> PM1 @@servername
>
> PM1 should defines a specific server instance and be used
> in all interface files in the replication system and have
> @@servername set to that. Remote clients can call it
> whatever they like in their own interfaces!
>
> Sanjeev wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Here is the scenario..
> > Machine 1.
> > -Rep server ver 12.1
> > -ASE 12.5.3 having
> > ---A. RSSD db
> > ---B. Replicate dbs
> >
> > Primary databases are on different machines each with
> > ASE 12.5.3.
> >
> > The primary sql server names are the same but the
> > interface file entry in Machine 1 has different names
> > for each.
> > eg. Machine1
> > ASE server name test1
> > Rep server name rep1
> >
> > Interface file entries:
> > [test1]
> > master=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048
> > query=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048
> >
> > [rep1]
> > master=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500
> > query=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500
> >
> > [primary1]
> > master=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048
> > query=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048
> >
> > [primary2]
> > master=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048
> > query=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048
> >
> > [primary3]
> > master=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048
> > query=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048
> >

> > The actual sql server name on the primary machines are
> > PM1 for all.
> >
> > When we try to add database connection, the error it
> > throws is
> > "found sql server named 'PM1' expected to find
> > 'primary1'
> > DSI comes but the rep agent doesn't.
> >
> > If I rename it in the interface file of Machine1 to PM1
> > (in which case I can have only one entry and hence
> > connect to only one primary db) then it works fine.
> >
> > Any ideas will be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sanjeev

0
Sanjeev
6/18/2008 4:25:26 AM

I would have each server identified uniquely in the replication system eg
you might have PM1_London, PM1_Milan, PM1_NY, PM1_Tokyo etc
Their interfaces and @@servername would match these.

Machine1 interfaces files would contain all of these entries.

The client programs around the world needn't worry as they could just have
their local PM1 called PM1 in their own interfaces.

Sanjeev wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Thanks for your input, I understand that it is very
> important that we need to have seperate server names for
> each instances of ASE. However, we have 30+ production
> servers in differnt countries and all of them have the same
> @@servername.
>
> Our porject is to replicate part of the database to our
> central server (Machine 1).
>
> From your mail it is difficult to identify the solution.
> Appreciate if you could clarify further.
>
> Once again Thanks and appreciate your help.
> regards
> Sanjeev
>

>> Always a good idea to standardise Server names globally
>> otherwise its quite confusing as there are three
>> opportunities to mix them up.
>>
>> Machine 1 interface file
>> PM1 interface file
>> PM1 @@servername
>>
>> PM1 should defines a specific server instance and be used
>> in all interface files in the replication system and have
>> @@servername set to that. Remote clients can call it
>> whatever they like in their own interfaces!
>>
>> Sanjeev wrote:
>>
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > Here is the scenario..
>> > Machine 1.
>> > -Rep server ver 12.1
>> > -ASE 12.5.3 having
>> > ---A. RSSD db
>> > ---B. Replicate dbs
>> >
>> > Primary databases are on different machines each with
>> > ASE 12.5.3.
>> >
>> > The primary sql server names are the same but the
>> > interface file entry in Machine 1 has different names
>> > for each.
>> > eg. Machine1
>> > ASE server name test1
>> > Rep server name rep1
>> >
>> > Interface file entries:
>> > [test1]
>> > master=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048
>> > query=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048
>> >
>> > [rep1]
>> > master=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500
>> > query=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500
>> >
>> > [primary1]
>> > master=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048
>> > query=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048
>> >
>> > [primary2]
>> > master=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048
>> > query=TCP,10.1.1.162,2048
>> >
>> > [primary3]
>> > master=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048
>> > query=TCP,10.1.1.163,2048
>> >

>> > The actual sql server name on the primary machines are
>> > PM1 for all.
>> >
>> > When we try to add database connection, the error it
>> > throws is
>> > "found sql server named 'PM1' expected to find
>> > 'primary1'
>> > DSI comes but the rep agent doesn't.
>> >
>> > If I rename it in the interface file of Machine1 to PM1
>> > (in which case I can have only one entry and hence
>> > connect to only one primary db) then it works fine.
>> >
>> > Any ideas will be much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Sanjeev

0
peter
6/18/2008 5:43:01 PM
Thanks Peter.

I was wondering if there was any other option besides having
to rename all our production servers.

Sanjeev.

> I would have each server identified uniquely in the
> replication system eg you might have PM1_London, PM1_Milan
> , PM1_NY, PM1_Tokyo etc Their interfaces and @@servername
> would match these.
>
> Machine1 interfaces files would contain all of these
> entries.
>
> The client programs around the world needn't worry as they
> could just have their local PM1 called PM1 in their own
> interfaces.
>

> Sanjeev wrote:
>
> > Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for your input, I understand that it is very
> > important that we need to have seperate server names for
> > each instances of ASE. However, we have 30+ production
> > servers in differnt countries and all of them have the
> > same @@servername.
> >
> > Our porject is to replicate part of the database to our
> > central server (Machine 1).
> >
> > From your mail it is difficult to identify the solution.
> > Appreciate if you could clarify further.
> >
> > Once again Thanks and appreciate your help.
> > regards
> > Sanjeev
> >

> >> Always a good idea to standardise Server names globally
> >> otherwise its quite confusing as there are three
> >> opportunities to mix them up.
> >>
> >> Machine 1 interface file
> >> PM1 interface file
> >> PM1 @@servername
> >>
> >> PM1 should defines a specific server instance and be
> used >> in all interface files in the replication system
> and have >> @@servername set to that. Remote clients can
> call it >> whatever they like in their own interfaces!

> are >> > PM1 for all.

> PM1 >> > (in which case I can have only one entry and
> hence >> > connect to only one primary db) then it works
> fine. >> >

0
Sanjeev
6/19/2008 7:05:51 AM
How does Machine1 (or wherever its RSSD is) identify the 30 remote servers
if they all have the same name?

Sanjeev wrote:

> Thanks Peter.
>
> I was wondering if there was any other option besides having
> to rename all our production servers.
>
> Sanjeev.
>
>> I would have each server identified uniquely in the
>> replication system eg you might have PM1_London, PM1_Milan
>> , PM1_NY, PM1_Tokyo etc Their interfaces and @@servername
>> would match these.
>>
>> Machine1 interfaces files would contain all of these
>> entries.
>>
>> The client programs around the world needn't worry as they
>> could just have their local PM1 called PM1 in their own
>> interfaces.
>>

>> Sanjeev wrote:
>>
>> > Peter,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your input, I understand that it is very
>> > important that we need to have seperate server names for
>> > each instances of ASE. However, we have 30+ production
>> > servers in differnt countries and all of them have the
>> > same @@servername.
>> >
>> > Our porject is to replicate part of the database to our
>> > central server (Machine 1).
>> >
>> > From your mail it is difficult to identify the solution.
>> > Appreciate if you could clarify further.
>> >
>> > Once again Thanks and appreciate your help.
>> > regards
>> > Sanjeev

>> used >> in all interface files in the replication system
>> and have >> @@servername set to that. Remote clients can
>> call it >> whatever they like in their own interfaces!

>> are >> > PM1 for all.

>> PM1 >> > (in which case I can have only one entry and
>> hence >> > connect to only one primary db) then it works
>> fine. >> >

0
peter

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

Using Rep Server 12.5 between 11.9.2 and 12.5.1
How I can replicate data between ASE 11.9.2 and ASE 12.5.1 using Replication Server 12.5 on UNIX 2.8 <JC> wrote in message news:4193beb8.2e2d.1681692777@sybase.com... > How I can replicate data between ASE 11.9.2 and ASE 12.5.1 > using Replication Server 12.5 on UNIX 2.8 This should be no problem at all -- the different versions I mean. If your questions aims at explaining how replication actually works and how to set it up (i.e. not version-specific stuff), then I recommend you read the docs at sybooks.sybase.com/rs.html. HTH, Rob ------------------------------...

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

Rep Server 12.1 fails to start after Upgrading SQL Server
Hi Gurus, We upgraded our ASE Server from 12.5.0.3 to ASE 15.0.1. The upgrade went well except for one glitch, the Rep Server fails to Start. We are using Rep Server 12.1. The error we are receiving in the Rep Server error log is as follows : I. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. Reading 'WICTEST3.RSSD..rs_config' for system configuration parameters. E. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. ERROR #31083 GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) - (1708) Cannot connect to RSSD server. ct_connect failed. E. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. ERROR #1027 GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) - (1708) Open Client Client-Library error: Error: 8408371...

Any ASE 12.5 Rep Server 12.0 Linux users out there?
Has anyone successfully implemented ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.0 on Linux RH kernel 2.2.18? If so, have you had any problems? Did you use raw devices or files for your stable queue devices and what size are they? We are evaluating these products for a critical 24x7 web based order entry system. Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks. -- Carl P. Moritz (203)925-7292 Database/EDI Administrator Iroquois Gas Transmission System Hi, We already implemented ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.0 on Linux, and we are using operating system files for stable queue and it is workin...

disabled rep agent but still have rep agent in rep server
Hi, I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin who_is_down)? benny I saw it couple of times after issuing sp_stop_rep_agent, only rebooting ASE with rep.agent helped. HTH, Eugene Benny Pei wrote: > Hi, > > I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How > come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin > who_is_down)? > > benny You have disabled it in the DB directly, but perhaps you havent notified Repserve...

Problem with ASE 12.5.3 and Rep Server RSSD
We've recently upgraded to ASE 12.5.3 and since then we've had a few occasions where dump tran processes have hung . This then stops any subsequent dumps not to work and the tran log fills up. This has only happended on the the server that holds the RSSD for our replication server running on the same box. Thanks Adam ...

Is Rep Server 11.0.3 compatible with ASE 12.5
Couple of questions: Is Rep Server 11.0.3 compatible with ASE 12.5 and can I continue to use the LTM with ASE 12.5? Is ASE 12.5 backward compatible with Open client 10.0.4? Can I upgrade SQL server 11.0.3 directly to ASE 12.5? Can I upgrade Rep Server 11.0.3 directly to Rep Server 12? Any help appreciated. Thanks Hi Paul, Don't know all the Rep Server answers ... but ... > > Is Rep Server 11.0.3 compatible with ASE 12.5 and can I continue to use the > LTM with ASE 12.5? Please see http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1017401,00.html a recently published...

ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 11.5
Does anybody know if there are any problems using ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 11.5?? We are about to upgrade from ASE 11.5.1 but want to make sure that there are no problems. We plan to upgrade Rep server also but one thing at a time. thanks William Lowers First off you'll get better performance with RS 12.1 with ASE 12.5. Does Sybase even still support RS 11.5? If you are going to take advantage of any of the new ASE 12.5 features then you will have to use RS 12.1 in order to replicate things like Java Objects, etc. There are also improvements with RS Manager and new AL...

REP AGENT problem after upg to ASE12.5 and REP 12.1
After we upgraded to ASE12.5 and REP12.1 we're experiencing a problem related to the rep agent.every 15 minutes after hour it cannont keep up the log (for 10 minutes it practically stop to read from the log) We increase the maxmemory of REPServer to 400M and the scan_batch_size to 10000. Do you have any suggestion why it can't keep up the log only for a certain period? Thanks in advance.... ...

Rep server with ase 12.5
With ASE 11.9.2 under Linux repserver was working fine. I'm trying to install it on 12.5 ASE. When rs_init install it on a RSSD database on a RSSD server (12.5) I have the following error : 2001/11/18 08:36:42 SQL Server message: msg 156, level 15, state 1 2001/11/18 08:36:42 INTERNAL ERROR: "Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'function'. " 2001/11/18 08:36:42 Check the log (/home/replic/REP-12_0/init/logs/log1118.021) for more information. Please make a note of this error and co...

Monitor Server not starting after binary overlay install of 12.5.1 over 12.5.0.3
32-bit ASE 64-bit Solaris8 Did the following: 1) Install 12.5.1 GA over existing 12.5.0.3 ESD#3 installation 2) Startup ASE ( Saw databases being upgraded in the error log file ) 3) Run installmaster and instsmsg.ebf 4) Shutdown ASE 5) Install 12.5.1 ESD#2 6) Startup ASE 7) Run installmaster and instsmsg.ebf ( Note that Monitor and Historical Server were both running fine while I was using 12.5.0.3. Thus, installmon was executed during the 12.5.0.3 installation, and a diff between installmon in 12.5.0.3 ESD#3 and 12.5.1 ESD#2 produced no differences ) Now I can...

Monitor Server not starting after binary overlay install of 12.5.1 over 12.5.0.3
32-bit ASE 64-bit Solaris8 Did the following: 1) Install 12.5.1 GA over existing 12.5.0.3 ESD#3 installation 2) Startup ASE ( Saw databases being upgraded in the error log file ) 3) Run installmaster and instsmsg.ebf 4) Shutdown ASE 5) Install 12.5.1 ESD#2 6) Startup ASE 7) Run installmaster and instsmsg.ebf ( Note that Monitor and Historical Server were both running fine while I was using 12.5.0.3. Thus, installmon was executed during the 12.5.0.3 installation, and a diff between installmon in 12.5.0.3 ESD#3 and 12.5.1 ESD#2 produced no differences ) Now I can...

upgrade REP 12.5 to REP 12.6 + RSSD
Looking to upgrade REP Server 12.5 to Rep 12.6 on Linux RHES,we are using RSSD in ASE vers 12.5.0.1 . My plan is to upgrade the Rep and late on the ASE/RSSD to 12.5.3 will this work? Also I'm looking for the steps to perform this Rep upgrade , will the following be correct ? - install REP 12.6 software in separe directorie -Shutdown Rep Server 12.5. - Point to the new Rep Server 12.6 directories/environment variables. - Run rs_init and choose to upgrade an existing Rep Server. How about RSSD/ASE anything should I run ?? Thank you fro your help, Isabella There are 2 d...

Web resources about - rep server 12.1 and ase 12.5.3 rep agent not starting - sybase.rep-server

Starting Over (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Six women at a time work to overcome obstacles and meet personal goals. When it is determined that a woman has met all her goals, she "graduates" ...

Wikipedia:Starting an article - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a page about writing a new article, not the place to actually write it! If you would like to experiment, please use the sandbox or your ...

Facebook Aims To Curb App Spam: Starting Oct. 2, Developers Can No Longer Use API To Post Directly To ...
Starting Oct. 2, applications on Facebook will no longer be able to use its application-programming interfaces to post stories directly to the ...

Starting work on Luleå building 2
It’s been less than a year since we first started serving traffic from our Luleå data center; one of the greenest, most cutting-edge facilities ...

ImplementingScrum - Starting Tough Conversations about Software Development
Scrum Cartoons. Scrum Teams are made up of a ScrumMaster, Product Owner & Team Members. Start those difficult conversations today.

Facebook starting rollout of image-focused sidebar ads
In April, Facebook announced that it is making the images in sidebar ads much bigger . The company recently notified Preferred Marketing Developers ...

Iowa Starting Line (@IAStartingLine) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Iowa Starting Line @ IAStartingLine ...

Starting Anew
... At some point in your career, maybe you too have made the life-altering decision to start anew. If so, you know firsthand how exciting, Starting ...

Sydney to Hobart: Starting boat Aussie Legend takes on water but all safe
... to Hobart yacht race has suffered an on water incident before the 628 nautical mile event has got under way on Saturday with the official starting ...

Boxing Day Test: Why I'm starting to believe in Shaun Marsh
Who would you play, Shaun Marsh or Usman Khawaja, if they were both fit for the Boxing Day Test?