Location of rep. queues and rep.server???

We have a Warm/standby system in our LAN system. What I really want to do is
to move the unix box on which standby server runs to an aother
building(different physical location)  because of  disaster puposes. As you
guess, there will be a communication line between active and standby servers
and I am not sure how  it will affect the replication when the line fails.
Should  I replace the replication queue and the rep server on active side or
on the standby side? Which is the bestway?
Regards.
ALPER ONEY
I.S.E TAKASBANK INC.

0
ALPER
5/13/2003 10:09:16 AM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

it is recommended that the warm standby replication server be placed on the
same server as the Warm Standby database.

0
wyn
5/13/2003 2:23:33 PM
ALPER ONEY wrote:

> We have a Warm/standby system in our LAN system. What I really want to do is
> to move the unix box on which standby server runs to an aother
> building(different physical location)  because of  disaster puposes. As you
> guess, there will be a communication line between active and standby servers
> and I am not sure how  it will affect the replication when the line fails.
> Should  I replace the replication queue and the rep server on active side or
> on the standby side? Which is the bestway?

There's an ongoing argument about this I believe. It really comes down to what is more important for you.

With the RS and it's queues on the primary, you won't have to worry about running out of transaction log space in the primary just because the communications line between the primary and the replicate goes down.

If, on the other hand, it's more important that if the primary fails, the replicate will be able to make those last changes that the primary was able to transmit before going down, you should place the RepServer, its RSSD and its queue on the replicate.

It all comes down to what scenarios are the most/least likely to occur and build the system that is the most able to resist the events based on the observations made.

Different approaches have different pros/cons. And those pros/cons may vary, depending on the physical layout of the system.

Regards.
//Fredrik Berglin
		Read the source, Luke.
 Fredrik Berglin	fredrik.berglin@commentor.nospam.se
 Commentor AB		Tel:  031 - 701 19 00
 Pusterviksgatan 3-9	Cell: 0707 - 48 64 08
 413 01 G�teborg	Fax:  031 - 711 51 25
Fredrik

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

disabled rep agent but still have rep agent in rep server
Hi, I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin who_is_down)? benny I saw it couple of times after issuing sp_stop_rep_agent, only rebooting ASE with rep.agent helped. HTH, Eugene Benny Pei wrote: > Hi, > > I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How > come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin > who_is_down)? > > benny You have disabled it in the DB directly, but perhaps you havent notified Repserve...

Maximum rep agents per rep server
Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a single rep server can support? On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:34:23 -0800, salleeb wrote: > Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a > single rep server can support? I haven't heard of any such figure. My guess is that this depends on the OS and hardware, network bandwidth, and amount of activity of each rep agent - i.e. "it depends". Michael -- Michael Peppler [TeamSybase] mpeppler@peppler.org - http://www.peppler.org/ Sybase DBA/Developer Sybase on Linux FAQ: http://www.peppler.org/...

Rep Server log message from Rep Agent/DB2
Receive the following message in RS log when RA-DB2 connects. Is this a problem? If so, any ideas? RA-DB2 is using ISO-1 charset while RS and ASE is using roman8. I. 2003/09/15 04:56:56. Replication Agent version (101) for 'RA_LTM_EOC.DB2P' does not match the default LTI version for this Replication Server 300 using version 101. Jason, > 'RA_LTM_EOC.DB2P' does not match the default LTI version for > this Replication Server 300 using version 101. This is an informational error message only. It indicates the level of LTL (Log Transfer Language) that ...

Rep Agent can't connect to Rep Server
I am running Sybase ASE 12.0 on NT. This server has the RSSD database. Replication Server 12.1 is running on the same machine. 2 Sybase ASE 12.0 Servers both running on HP have tables to be replicated to a database running on the NT Sybase Server. But Rep Agents running on HP Sybase ASE fail with same message: 00:00000:00112:2001/11/16 11:00:23.71 server Started Rep Agent on database, 'db' (dbid = 12). 00:00000:00112:2001/11/16 11:00:23.83 server RepAgent(12): The Rep Agent Thread will retry the connection to the Replication Server every 60 second(s). (RepSvr = R...

rep server 12.1 and ase 12.5.3 rep agent not starting
Dear all, Here is the scenario.. Machine 1. -Rep server ver 12.1 -ASE 12.5.3 having ---A. RSSD db ---B. Replicate dbs Primary databases are on different machines each with ASE 12.5.3. The primary sql server names are the same but the interface file entry in Machine 1 has different names for each. eg. Machine1 ASE server name test1 Rep server name rep1 Interface file entries: [test1] master=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048 query=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048 [rep1] master=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500 query=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500 [primary1] master=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048 query=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048 ...

Queue stall in rep server.
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3141483647_217079 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Hello Anyone, We are running a warm standby environment, Rep server version 12.0 , Prim ASE = 11.9.5, Standby ASE = 11.9.5, this due to an application not able to run on any higher ASE level. At any given time, a large update is passed to the repserver, where the ASE was able to handle this transaction the Repserver doesn�t. Ad...

Which rep server
Hi, I got Replication sever 11.5.1 and 12.x for evaluation. Reading both manuals there are small differences. Can I use rep server 12.x with ASE 11.9.2 ? Thanks for tips \\\Georg Yes you can use. "frankge17" <frankge17@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ewPIVjBNBHA.275@forums.sybase.com... > Hi, > > I got Replication sever 11.5.1 and 12.x for evaluation. Reading both > manuals there are small differences. Can I use rep server 12.x with ASE > 11.9.2 ? > > Thanks for tips > \\\Georg > > > > > >...

Rep Server
Rep Server wont build due to No language Handler error.. ...

renaming server.db in multieple rep server definitions
Newsgroups: sybase.public.rep-server Cc: sjmudd@pobox.com Subject: From: Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@unicorn.wl0.org> Date: 27 Mar 2004 18:57:21 +0100 Message-ID: <86vfkqdvge.fsf@unicorn.wl0.org> Lines: 30 --text follows this line-- Hello, I'm pretty new to replication server and have taken on the task of managing an existing system. (ase 11.9.2 and repserver 12.0) There are various flows and I have replication definitions of the form <table>_def_<sourceX> and subscriptions of the form <table>_sub_<destinationY> where sourceX and destinationY a...

Starting up replication after Server Application log fills up on Rep server.
The Server application log filled up on the rep server and now no records are being replicated although all connections seem to be active. I emptied the application log and am wondering what I need to to do to start replicating data again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rohan ...

Rep Server 12.1 fails to start after Upgrading SQL Server
Hi Gurus, We upgraded our ASE Server from 12.5.0.3 to ASE 15.0.1. The upgrade went well except for one glitch, the Rep Server fails to Start. We are using Rep Server 12.1. The error we are receiving in the Rep Server error log is as follows : I. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. Reading 'WICTEST3.RSSD..rs_config' for system configuration parameters. E. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. ERROR #31083 GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) - (1708) Cannot connect to RSSD server. ct_connect failed. E. 2006/10/26 10:28:58. ERROR #1027 GLOBAL RS(GLOBAL RS) - (1708) Open Client Client-Library error: Error: 8408371...

Rep server 'hangs' with message 'waiting for server ... to boot'
When I install rep server for warm standby purposes, the message Waiting for server '<servername> ' to boot ... keeps returrning during the installation. On OS level I see three processes: sybase 10535 8082 0 08:17:20 ? 0:00 sh -c /opt/sybase/rs11.5.1/install/RUN_einnl126_sybrep > /opt/sybase/rs11.5.1/i sybase 10537 10536 0 08:17:20 ? 0:01 /opt/sybase/rs11.5.1/bin/repserver -Seinnl126_sybrep -C/opt/sybase/rs11.5.1/ ins sybase 10536 10535 0 08:17:20 ? 0:00 sh -c /opt/sybase/rs11.5.1/install/RUN_einnl126_sybrep > /opt/sybase/rs11.5.1/ins What is it ...

Rep server timing?
I have a 6GB database that I want to replicate. When a client connects, it needs to sync up with this 6GB database. I am on an ATM backbone supporting up to 155MB/s. Does anyone have any clue how long this intial sync would take using replication server? Are there faster automated methods Sybase supports? ...

Web resources about - Location of rep. queues and rep.server??? - sybase.rep-server

Server farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A server farm or server cluster is a collection of computer servers usually maintained by an enterprise to accomplish server needs far beyond ...

Intel’s 2nd-gen Compute Stick is a faster, better iTunes media server
One year after introducing the original Compute Stick, a version of which was featured in our guide to building a $150 iTunes media server , ...

Facebook's LiveRail Exits the Ad Server Business
Facebook's publisher-facing ad-tech arm LiveRail is shutting down the ad server business that you might not have known it operated. Known best ...

Cock.li server seized again by German prosecutor, service moves to Iceland
(video link) The administrator of the cock.li e-mail hosting service told Ars on Friday that a second hard drive had been seized from his Bavarian ...

Trump likens Cruz's citizenship to questions about Clinton's email server
Presidential candidate Donald Trump ratcheted up his attacks on Ted Cruz, attacking him on everything from his citizenship to connections to ...

Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk
Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk

Netflix To Crack Down On Proxy Servers As Share Price Continues To Be Volatile
Netflix is cracking down on people using proxy servers to access the SVOD giant’s library. The use of VPNs (virtual private networks) was commonplace ...

Grand Theft Auto Online servers still down on PlayStation 4
PlayStation 4 servers for Grand Theft Auto Online has been offline for several hours. Rockstar's status page acknowledges on the official site ...

Lenovo enhances partnership with Inventec to compete for server orders from Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent
In order to compete with China-based vendors Inspur and Sugon Information Industry for data center server orders from Baidu, Alibaba and Tencent, ...

OpenSSH Flaw Exposes Linux Servers to Roaming Risk
The open-source remote access project issues an update to patch a flaw that could enable an attacker to get access to sensitive data.