ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration

Hello

I am hoping someone can help me.  I am relatively new to Rep server
and definately new to this configuration.  I am trying to set up
replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE.  I am
doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in
North America and one is in England.  This was recommended to me by
Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server
is quicker over the wan.

Anyway.  I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no
problem setting that up.  Now I am trying to set up a new replication
environment and I am completely confusing myself the more I read the
books.

The ASE in North America is the primary and the ASE in England is the
replicate.  It will be used for reporting purposes only.  A single
direction replication will take place.

what do I need to do to set up the communication between rep servers?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
0
Sandra
12/3/2008 5:58:05 PM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The NA RS will need a (repagent) connection coming in from the NA RS's RSSD.  Obviously (?) the NA RSSD will need to be
configured with a repagent connection into the NA RS.

NOTE:  The objective here is to make sure the NA RSSD can be replicated out to the UK RSSD.  The RSSD replication is
required to make sure NA RS info (eg, repdefs) are replicated out to the UK RS (where the repdef will be needed in order
to create the subscriptions).

Both RSs must be part of the same replication domain, ie, they must have the same RS acting as an ID server. (Either the
NA RS or UK RS can act as the ID server if you only have the 2 RSs in your environment.)

Then you'll need to setup a route from your NA RS to your UK RS.  (see the 'create route' command)

The NA RS will need a (repagent) connection coming in from the NA ASE.

The UK RS will need a (DSI) connection into the UK ASE.

You'll still define repdefs (for the NA ASE) in the NA RS.  Subscriptions (for the UK ASE) will be defined in the UK RS.

-----------------

I assume you know that you won't be able to setup a WarmStandby configuration across a route.

Sandra wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am hoping someone can help me.  I am relatively new to Rep server
> and definately new to this configuration.  I am trying to set up
> replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE.  I am
> doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in
> North America and one is in England.  This was recommended to me by
> Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server
> is quicker over the wan.
>
> Anyway.  I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no
> problem setting that up.  Now I am trying to set up a new replication
> environment and I am completely confusing myself the more I read the
> books.
>
> The ASE in North America is the primary and the ASE in England is the
> replicate.  It will be used for reporting purposes only.  A single
> direction replication will take place.
>
> what do I need to do to set up the communication between rep servers?
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.
0
Mark
12/3/2008 11:18:06 PM
On Dec 3, 6:18=A0pm, "Mark A. Parsons"
<iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
> The NA RS will need a (repagent) connection coming in from the NA RS's RS=
SD. =A0Obviously (?) the NA RSSD will need to be
> configured with a repagent connection into the NA RS.
>
> NOTE: =A0The objective here is to make sure the NA RSSD can be replicated=
 out to the UK RSSD. =A0The RSSD replication is
> required to make sure NA RS info (eg, repdefs) are replicated out to the =
UK RS (where the repdef will be needed in order
> to create the subscriptions).
>
> Both RSs must be part of the same replication domain, ie, they must have =
the same RS acting as an ID server. (Either the
> NA RS or UK RS can act as the ID server if you only have the 2 RSs in you=
r environment.)

> Then you'll need to setup a route from your NA RS to your UK RS. =A0(see =
the 'create route' command)

> The NA RS will need a (repagent) connection coming in from the NA ASE.
>
> The UK RS will need a (DSI) connection into the UK ASE.
>
> You'll still define repdefs (for the NA ASE) in the NA RS. =A0Subscriptio=
ns (for the UK ASE) will be defined in the UK RS.

> -----------------
>
> I assume you know that you won't be able to setup a WarmStandby configura=
tion across a route.

> Sandra wrote:
> > Hello
>
> > I am hoping someone can help me. =A0I am relatively new to Rep server
> > and definately new to this configuration. =A0I am trying to set up
> > replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. =A0I am
> > doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in
> > North America and one is in England. =A0This was recommended to me by
> > Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server
> > is quicker over the wan.
>
> > Anyway. =A0I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no
> > problem setting that up. =A0Now I am trying to set up a new replication
> > environment and I am completely confusing myself the more I read the
> > books.
>
> > The ASE in North America is the primary and the ASE in England is the
> > replicate. =A0It will be used for reporting purposes only. =A0A single
> > direction replication will take place.
>
> > what do I need to do to set up the communication between rep servers?
>
> > Any guidance would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Mark

Thank you very much for your reply.  One of my first issues was that I
did not set up the RSSD database to be replicated.  I sort of figured
that one out a little while ago.  Your explaination makes sense and I
will work on reconfiguring my environment.

Much appreciated.

Sandra
0
Sandra

rep server 12.1 and ase 12.5.3 rep agent not starting
Dear all, Here is the scenario.. Machine 1. -Rep server ver 12.1 -ASE 12.5.3 having ---A. RSSD db ---B. Replicate dbs Primary databases are on different machines each with ASE 12.5.3. The primary sql server names are the same but the interface file entry in Machine 1 has different names for each. eg. Machine1 ASE server name test1 Rep server name rep1 Interface file entries: [test1] master=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048 query=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048 [rep1] master=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500 query=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500 [primary1] master=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048 query=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048 ...

disabled rep agent but still have rep agent in rep server
Hi, I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin who_is_down)? benny I saw it couple of times after issuing sp_stop_rep_agent, only rebooting ASE with rep.agent helped. HTH, Eugene Benny Pei wrote: > Hi, > > I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How > come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin > who_is_down)? > > benny You have disabled it in the DB directly, but perhaps you havent notified Repserve...

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

ASE and Rep Server Shutdown
Could the group please assist with a response on the proper procedures to shutting down Sybase replication (version 12.0) using rep agents and then shutting down the primary and secondary ASE servers please (version 12.0 and 12.5)? What is the proper method for shutting down the rep server first? Thanks for the feedback, Cynthia What is the purpose for shutdown? There is no incorrect way to shutdown Rep Server anyways, just shutdown it down and it will take care of all the Rep agents, LTM's with it on both the data servers, just that is a thread is reading/writing it w...

Rep Server & ASE
Can Rep Server run on the same machine as ASE? Thanks Mike <mike> wrote in message news:647FED9ABADEFDD80074105285256C72.0074107B85256C72@webforums... > Can Rep Server run on the same machine as ASE? Yes. ...

Rep Server and ASE compatibility!
Hi All, Can some one help on the following topics. We have SybaseASE 12.0 and Rep server 12.0 running at 5 sites. One Rep server is designated as ID Server. Now we want to upgrade to ASE 12.5 and REP server 12.5 at each site phases say one site in one phase and then second one in second phase. Can some one give a plan...? Also, - Will Repl server 12.0 can communicat with Rep server 12.5 and ASE 12.5 in case one site is upgraded and others are not ? - Do we need to upgrade ID server first or other servers ? Please if someone can help out in this will be highly obliged....

Upgrade ASE and Rep Server
It's been a long time since I played with rep server and I just started a job where next weekend they want to upgrade ASE to 64-bit. My question is do we have to upgrade both primary and replicate to 64-bit or can replicate remain 32-bit. Rep server is on the replicated machine. TIA Nick <NCousin> wrote in message news:EE15DDA47D104B6D005E1D7585256CFE.005E1DB585256CFE@webforums... > It's been a long time since I played with rep server and I just started a > job where next weekend they want to upgrade ASE to 64-bit. My question is > do we have to upgrad...

Rep Server & ASE
Does anyone know if Rep Server 12.5 requires ASE 12.5? Or can Rep Server 12.5 work with ASE 12.0? Thanks Mike On Fri, 2 May 2003 14:39:10 -0400, mike wrote: >Does anyone know if Rep Server 12.5 requires ASE 12.5? Or can Rep Server >12.5 work with ASE 12.0? I would check the release bulletins for Rep Server to know for sure. I do know that Rep Server 12.0 works find with ASE 12.5 as long as you aren't using the longer data types available in 12.5. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Hi Mike, We have an instance of the pair(ASE-12_0,REP-12_5) you mentioned below We have ...

Location of rep. queues and rep.server???
We have a Warm/standby system in our LAN system. What I really want to do is to move the unix box on which standby server runs to an aother building(different physical location) because of disaster puposes. As you guess, there will be a communication line between active and standby servers and I am not sure how it will affect the replication when the line fails. Should I replace the replication queue and the rep server on active side or on the standby side? Which is the bestway? Regards. ALPER ONEY I.S.E TAKASBANK INC. it is recommended that the warm standby replication serv...

ASE Refresh /Rep Server Steps
Hi all I have a system that is going into production shortly from another enviornment. The existing production environment uses Replication server (MSA). I have set up the new environment and did a dump and load to both primary and secondary servers. Replication is currently running. Now my issue. I need to refresh the new production system when they are ready to cut over to it. What are the steps that I need to do to keep replication server working. Here is my guess: 1. Stop replication (drop defintions or suspend connection, which is better) 2. Dump production and loa...

Rep server with ase 12.5
With ASE 11.9.2 under Linux repserver was working fine. I'm trying to install it on 12.5 ASE. When rs_init install it on a RSSD database on a RSSD server (12.5) I have the following error : 2001/11/18 08:36:42 SQL Server message: msg 156, level 15, state 1 2001/11/18 08:36:42 INTERNAL ERROR: "Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'function'. " 2001/11/18 08:36:42 Check the log (/home/replic/REP-12_0/init/logs/log1118.021) for more information. Please make a note of this error and co...

Maximum rep agents per rep server
Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a single rep server can support? On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:34:23 -0800, salleeb wrote: > Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a > single rep server can support? I haven't heard of any such figure. My guess is that this depends on the OS and hardware, network bandwidth, and amount of activity of each rep agent - i.e. "it depends". Michael -- Michael Peppler [TeamSybase] mpeppler@peppler.org - http://www.peppler.org/ Sybase DBA/Developer Sybase on Linux FAQ: http://www.peppler.org/...

Rep. Server 11.0.2 with ASE?
Hi, I have RS 11.0.2 running on HP-UX 10 and SQLServer 11.0.2. I am thinking of upgrading Sybase to 11.5 ASE. Does anyone know of any incompatibility problems with running 11.5 ASE with RS 11.0.x? THanks for your help! > I have RS 11.0.2 running on HP-UX 10 and SQLServer 11.0.2. I am > thinking of upgrading > Sybase to 11.5 ASE. > Does anyone know of any incompatibility problems with running 11.5 ASE > with RS 11.0.x? No problems. We are running hp-ux 10.20 with RS 11.0.2 and ase 11.5. You may want to upgrade to the latest open client/server (11.1.1) ...

Rep Server and DBREMOTE against same ASE 11.5
Is anyone out there running a mix of Rep Server and Dbremote against a single ASE11.5 on NT Server. We are in the process of moving up to ASE 11.5 for a central db, and want to have rep server agents at some of our busier remote Anywhere sites. However, we would still like to run dbremote at our "lighter load" sites. In talking with a Sybase engineer a while back, he led me to believe that right now, it's one or the other, but not both against a single ASE 11.5 server. We could run rep server agent to a "middle man" SQLA server and run DBremote ot from th...

Web resources about - ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration - sybase.rep-server

Configuration management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The CM process is widely used by military engineering organizations to manage complex systems , such as weapon systems, vehicles, and information ...

Facebook Taps Opscode Private Chef For Configuration, Management Of Servers
How does Facebook manage its ever-growing plethora of servers , configurations, administrative access policies, and the other tasks that go along ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

Top tech companies plug into renewable power - Configuration / maintenance, Google, Microsoft, Networking ...
Leading tech companies like Microsoft, Google and Apple are making huge inroads in the use of renewable energy for corporate facilities and data ...

New 15-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unboxed and compared to other 2015 configurations
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is here and available in a few different configurations. We’re take a closer look at the ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...