ASE Refresh /Rep Server Steps

Hi all

I have a system that is going into production shortly from another
enviornment.  The existing production environment uses Replication
server (MSA).  I have set up the new environment and did a dump and
load to both primary and secondary servers. Replication is currently
running.  Now my issue.

I need to refresh the new production system when they are ready to cut
over to it.  What are the steps that I need to do to keep replication
server working.

Here is my guess:

1. Stop replication (drop defintions or suspend connection, which is
better)
2. Dump production and load to new production and new secondary
dataserver.
3. Resume connections.

Obviously these are extremely brief.  Any additional details would be
very helpfuf.

0
Sandra
5/29/2008 4:06:24 PM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I'm a bit confused about your environment ... do you have 2 MSA setups running right now?  are you using 1 or 2
repservers?  if using 2 repservers, are they in the same replication domain (ie, they utilize the same ID server)?  if
you have 2 MSA setups, what do you mean by cut over - dump-n-load of db's between MSA setups, some sort of switching of
db's between MSA configurations, switching production applications to use a new MSA setup, something else?

Could you provide some more details about your current topology, as well as how you see that changing when it comes to
time 'to cut over'?

Sandra wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a system that is going into production shortly from another
> enviornment.  The existing production environment uses Replication
> server (MSA).  I have set up the new environment and did a dump and
> load to both primary and secondary servers. Replication is currently
> running.  Now my issue.
>
> I need to refresh the new production system when they are ready to cut
> over to it.  What are the steps that I need to do to keep replication
> server working.
>
> Here is my guess:
>
> 1. Stop replication (drop defintions or suspend connection, which is
> better)
> 2. Dump production and load to new production and new secondary
> dataserver.
> 3. Resume connections.
>
> Obviously these are extremely brief.  Any additional details would be
> very helpfuf.

0
Mark
5/29/2008 10:29:29 PM
On May 29, 6:29=A0pm, "Mark A. Parsons"
<iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about your environment ... do you have 2 MSA setups run=
ning right now? =A0are you using 1 or 2
> repservers? =A0if using 2 repservers, are they in the same replication dom=
ain (ie, they utilize the same ID server)? =A0if
> you have 2 MSA setups, what do you mean by cut over - dump-n-load of db's =
between MSA setups, some sort of switching of
> db's between MSA configurations, switching production applications to use =
a new MSA setup, something else?

> Could you provide some more details about your current topology, as well a=
s how you see that changing when it comes to
> time 'to cut over'?
>

> Sandra wrote:
> > Hi all
>
> > I have a system that is going into production shortly from another
> > enviornment. =A0The existing production environment uses Replication
> > server (MSA). =A0I have set up the new environment and did a dump and
> > load to both primary and secondary servers. Replication is currently
> > running. =A0Now my issue.
>
> > I need to refresh the new production system when they are ready to cut
> > over to it. =A0What are the steps that I need to do to keep replication
> > server working.
>
> > Here is my guess:
>
> > 1. Stop replication (drop defintions or suspend connection, which is
> > better)
> > 2. Dump production and load to new production and new secondary
> > dataserver.
> > 3. Resume connections.
>
> > Obviously these are extremely brief. =A0Any additional details would be
> > very helpfuf.- Hide quoted text -

sorry to confuse you.  My company bought another company.  The old
company has an environment that uses rep server - an ASE server to rep
server to another ASE server for reporting purposes.  I received a
backup of the old companys databases and loaded it to a new
envrionment in my company - ase to rep to ase.  I have the enviornment
up an running but will need to refresh it (another dump and load from
old company) on the weekend that we stop using the old companies
environment and start using ours.  I am looking for what steps I need
to take to update the primary and replicate servers with a new dump.

Hope this clarifies things.
0
Sandra
5/30/2008 2:39:55 AM
Have you taken a gander at the RepServer Admin guide, chapter named (something like) "Replication System Recovery -
Recovering from primary database failures"?

If the names of the objects in the primary database won't be changing then I'd think you could leave the RS components
(eg, repdefs, subscriptions, classes, etc.) in place.  At which point you're looking at the 'normal' operations of
recovering the primary and replicate databases ... reconfig of the repagent, resetting of the log trunc pointer (dbcc
settrunc/rs_zeroltm), possibly bumping up the generation id number.

Give the admin guide notes a once over and let us know if you have any questions/issues with what's outlined in the docs.

Sandra wrote:
> sorry to confuse you.  My company bought another company.  The old
> company has an environment that uses rep server - an ASE server to rep
> server to another ASE server for reporting purposes.  I received a
> backup of the old companys databases and loaded it to a new
> envrionment in my company - ase to rep to ase.  I have the enviornment
> up an running but will need to refresh it (another dump and load from
> old company) on the weekend that we stop using the old companies
> environment and start using ours.  I am looking for what steps I need
> to take to update the primary and replicate servers with a new dump.
>
> Hope this clarifies things.
0
Mark

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

disabled rep agent but still have rep agent in rep server
Hi, I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin who_is_down)? benny I saw it couple of times after issuing sp_stop_rep_agent, only rebooting ASE with rep.agent helped. HTH, Eugene Benny Pei wrote: > Hi, > > I have disabled repagent in a database and set ltm ignore already. How > come the rep server shows the rep agent is down when I run (admin > who_is_down)? > > benny You have disabled it in the DB directly, but perhaps you havent notified Repserve...

rep server 12.1 and ase 12.5.3 rep agent not starting
Dear all, Here is the scenario.. Machine 1. -Rep server ver 12.1 -ASE 12.5.3 having ---A. RSSD db ---B. Replicate dbs Primary databases are on different machines each with ASE 12.5.3. The primary sql server names are the same but the interface file entry in Machine 1 has different names for each. eg. Machine1 ASE server name test1 Rep server name rep1 Interface file entries: [test1] master=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048 query=TCP,10.1.1.160,2048 [rep1] master=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500 query=TCP,10.1.1.160,4500 [primary1] master=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048 query=TCP,10.1.1.161,2048 ...

Location of rep. queues and rep.server???
We have a Warm/standby system in our LAN system. What I really want to do is to move the unix box on which standby server runs to an aother building(different physical location) because of disaster puposes. As you guess, there will be a communication line between active and standby servers and I am not sure how it will affect the replication when the line fails. Should I replace the replication queue and the rep server on active side or on the standby side? Which is the bestway? Regards. ALPER ONEY I.S.E TAKASBANK INC. it is recommended that the warm standby replication serv...

Maximum rep agents per rep server
Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a single rep server can support? On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:34:23 -0800, salleeb wrote: > Is there a recommended maximum number of rep agents that a > single rep server can support? I haven't heard of any such figure. My guess is that this depends on the OS and hardware, network bandwidth, and amount of activity of each rep agent - i.e. "it depends". Michael -- Michael Peppler [TeamSybase] mpeppler@peppler.org - http://www.peppler.org/ Sybase DBA/Developer Sybase on Linux FAQ: http://www.peppler.org/...

Upgrade ASE and Rep Server
It's been a long time since I played with rep server and I just started a job where next weekend they want to upgrade ASE to 64-bit. My question is do we have to upgrade both primary and replicate to 64-bit or can replicate remain 32-bit. Rep server is on the replicated machine. TIA Nick <NCousin> wrote in message news:EE15DDA47D104B6D005E1D7585256CFE.005E1DB585256CFE@webforums... > It's been a long time since I played with rep server and I just started a > job where next weekend they want to upgrade ASE to 64-bit. My question is > do we have to upgrad...

Rep Server & ASE
Does anyone know if Rep Server 12.5 requires ASE 12.5? Or can Rep Server 12.5 work with ASE 12.0? Thanks Mike On Fri, 2 May 2003 14:39:10 -0400, mike wrote: >Does anyone know if Rep Server 12.5 requires ASE 12.5? Or can Rep Server >12.5 work with ASE 12.0? I would check the release bulletins for Rep Server to know for sure. I do know that Rep Server 12.0 works find with ASE 12.5 as long as you aren't using the longer data types available in 12.5. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Hi Mike, We have an instance of the pair(ASE-12_0,REP-12_5) you mentioned below We have ...

Rep Server & ASE
Can Rep Server run on the same machine as ASE? Thanks Mike <mike> wrote in message news:647FED9ABADEFDD80074105285256C72.0074107B85256C72@webforums... > Can Rep Server run on the same machine as ASE? Yes. ...

ASE and Rep Server Shutdown
Could the group please assist with a response on the proper procedures to shutting down Sybase replication (version 12.0) using rep agents and then shutting down the primary and secondary ASE servers please (version 12.0 and 12.5)? What is the proper method for shutting down the rep server first? Thanks for the feedback, Cynthia What is the purpose for shutdown? There is no incorrect way to shutdown Rep Server anyways, just shutdown it down and it will take care of all the Rep agents, LTM's with it on both the data servers, just that is a thread is reading/writing it w...

Rep Server and ASE compatibility!
Hi All, Can some one help on the following topics. We have SybaseASE 12.0 and Rep server 12.0 running at 5 sites. One Rep server is designated as ID Server. Now we want to upgrade to ASE 12.5 and REP server 12.5 at each site phases say one site in one phase and then second one in second phase. Can some one give a plan...? Also, - Will Repl server 12.0 can communicat with Rep server 12.5 and ASE 12.5 in case one site is upgraded and others are not ? - Do we need to upgrade ID server first or other servers ? Please if someone can help out in this will be highly obliged....

Rep Server log message from Rep Agent/DB2
Receive the following message in RS log when RA-DB2 connects. Is this a problem? If so, any ideas? RA-DB2 is using ISO-1 charset while RS and ASE is using roman8. I. 2003/09/15 04:56:56. Replication Agent version (101) for 'RA_LTM_EOC.DB2P' does not match the default LTI version for this Replication Server 300 using version 101. Jason, > 'RA_LTM_EOC.DB2P' does not match the default LTI version for > this Replication Server 300 using version 101. This is an informational error message only. It indicates the level of LTL (Log Transfer Language) that ...

renaming server.db in multieple rep server definitions
Newsgroups: sybase.public.rep-server Cc: sjmudd@pobox.com Subject: From: Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@unicorn.wl0.org> Date: 27 Mar 2004 18:57:21 +0100 Message-ID: <86vfkqdvge.fsf@unicorn.wl0.org> Lines: 30 --text follows this line-- Hello, I'm pretty new to replication server and have taken on the task of managing an existing system. (ase 11.9.2 and repserver 12.0) There are various flows and I have replication definitions of the form <table>_def_<sourceX> and subscriptions of the form <table>_sub_<destinationY> where sourceX and destinationY a...

Server to Server, both Servers in same Tree
Hi, where could be problem when some time connection is not established after server restart, but some time it is OK. (I waited whole day) Filters are opened for all IP from and to both servers in VPN. Both servers are BM3.7 SP2, NDS Version 10350.19 March 18, 2003 Slave server contain RW replica of the container where the server resides. (I tried also Master replica) here are also licenses for NW6 and BM3.7 Master server is in different replica which is not on slave server. Both servers are on same subnet. Packet capture shows only IP 57 communication from Master to ...

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

Web resources about - ASE Refresh /Rep Server Steps - sybase.rep-server

Refresh rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The refresh rate (most commonly the "vertical refresh rate", "vertical scan rate" for CRTs ) is the number of times in a second that a display ...

Facebook Allowing Page Admins To ‘Refresh Share Attachment?’
Facebook appears to have given page administrators the option of refreshing links that they share in posts on their pages . continued... New ...

The article requested cannot be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (CP,20120705,,-1,AR).
postandcourier.com delivers the latest breaking news and information on the latest top stories, weather, business, entertainment, politics, and ...

Crispin Porter and Refresh Partners Launch Whopper Sacrifice App for Burger King
... has been making the rounds through Facebook’s News Feed today. Why? A new application from Crispin Porter + Bogusky and Toronto-based Refresh ...

Twitter.com gets a refresh
Every month, hundreds of millions of people come to Twitter to see what’s happening in the world. After all, it’s often the best place to turn ...

Refresh - Insight on People You Meet on the App Store on iTunes
Get Refresh - Insight on People You Meet on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Maine's First Ship Pepsi Refresh Video.m4v - YouTube
Maine's First Ship Pepsi Refresh Video.

IN PICTURES: Fujitsu's 2012 notebook refresh
New addition consists of a new Ultrabook in the Lifebook U series

Refresh your tiles to refresh your bathroom
Refresh your tiles to refresh your bathroom

Aldi supermarket refresh: Will fancier stores make Aldi more expensive?
ALDI has finally decided to invest a bit of money and refresh its supermarkets. Someone at the famously frugal German retailer has decided looking ...