2-way replication from ASE to ASE

We are looking at implementing replication server bi-directional.
Specifically, we have two databases (for redundancy) on two differnet
physical servers, two different ASE databases, but the two databases are
named the same, and same architecture.

Sybase Learning suggested the only way to do this is to use stored
procedures (request function).  This is not really bi-directional and does
not have the data available in the secondary immediately.  Using stored
procedures will cause a complete re-write of the application, so it is not
really worth it.

What we wanted it to do is that if one database server went down, the
customer would not know it happened.  With the stored procedure solution,
the potential is as high as it is without Replication.  For the most part,
the databases contain the same information.  There are some tables that the
customer writes, and those are currently being updated to one database.  We
would like to include the database updates with the App server load
balancing like we are currently doing with the selects.

Any Suggestions?

0
Christina
8/29/2002 10:13:55 PM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I have 2-way replication running in a production environment right now.  We
do true 2-way in that apps in each of two locations connect to their own
database, and rep server sends transactions both ways.

To be sure that there will be no clashes, the application uses a stored proc
to generate a unique key in the proper range.  For example, if I put an
entry in table A in NY, it might acquire an id value of 50 for the key
column.  That same tran entered in London will get 10000050.  There is a
table that maintains the ranges, and a non-replicated table that specifies
the location in which the database is operating.  This might be difficult
without changing some schema.

TO address your question about connectivity:  Since our apps are directly
connected to the database, there is no possible way to make a server outage
transparent except to build that into the app.  In most cases, the
connection truly is broken.  Sybase has/had a product called OpenSwitch that
would effectively do what you want.  Your app would connect to the
openswitch, and that decided which server to go to.  If a server went down,
openswitch knew, and your app didnt have to.  (It is basically a custom open
server that has some smarts about where to send the transactions.  It acts
as a passthru server.)  I do not know if OpenSwitch is a product going
forward.

We did not choose to go with OpenSwitch.  I wasnt convinced about its
transactional behavior.  Our app catches a database connection problem and
users would be instructed to relaunch while pointing to the other server.

Hope this helps.

Drew Hershkowitz
dhershko@aol.com

"Christina Walker" <christina.walker@starzencore.com> wrote in message
> We are looking at implementing replication server bi-directional.
> Specifically, we have two databases (for redundancy) on two differnet
> physical servers, two different ASE databases, but the two databases are
> named the same, and same architecture.
>
> Sybase Learning suggested the only way to do this is to use stored
> procedures (request function).  This is not really bi-directional and does
> not have the data available in the secondary immediately.  Using stored
> procedures will cause a complete re-write of the application, so it is not
> really worth it.
>
> What we wanted it to do is that if one database server went down, the
> customer would not know it happened.  With the stored procedure solution,
> the potential is as high as it is without Replication.  For the most part,
> the databases contain the same information.  There are some tables that
the
> customer writes, and those are currently being updated to one database.
We
> would like to include the database updates with the App server load
> balancing like we are currently doing with the selects.
>
> Any Suggestions?

0
Drew

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 12.5 Migration over Replication Server?
Hi, I've heared about the possibility to migrate an ASE (11.9.2->12.5, both 32bit) over the Replication server. Is it also possible with this solution to increase the page size (old ASE 11.9.2 with 2k -> new ASE 12.5 with 4k)? If yes, could anybody explain me please how that works? We've been using Rep. Server only for warm standby. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Marco Stroech ______________________________________________________ Marco Stroech Databases AOL Deutschland � Millerntorplatz 1 � 20359 Hamburg � Germany +49 (40) 36159-7454 � fax: +49 (40...

Replication between ASE 11.9.2 without Rep. Server ?
Hi, I like to set up the replication from one Masterdatabase to several Searchdatabases, all 11.9.2 under Linux and connected with LAN. The inserts and updates shout go manual or automatical to the Masterdatabase. Need I a Replication Server in this situation ? If no, what is the right way to configure a soulution ? If I use a Replication Server, for example under NT, what are the benefits ? By Joachim ...

Replication between ASE 11.9.2 without Rep. Server ?
Hi, I like to set up the replication from one Masterdatabase to several Searchdatabases, all 11.9.2 under Linux and connected with LAN. The inserts and updates shout go manual or automatical to the Masterdatabase. Need I a Replication Server in this situation ? If no, what is the right way to configure a soulution ? If I use a Replication Server, for example under NT, what are the benefits ? By Joachim Hi Joachim, You can use SQL Remote, which is included with ASE 11.9.2, to do replication. However, it's not an instant setup, and it is not appropriate for conti...

Replication from ASE 11.92 and Rep 11.5 on AIX 4.2.1 to Linux ASE 11.92 possible?
We are trying to work this out and so far have hit a few snags. Here is the situation: Our Linux server is named tlaas_linux1 and our AIX server is ZYDVAX01. The ASE servers are named tlaas_linux1_sy and ZYDVAX01_SY respectively. from tlaas_linux1: -isql -Usa -Ppassword -SZYDVAX01_SY (works) -exec ZYDVAX01_SY.master..sp_who (works) from zydvax01: -isql -Umaintuser -Pmaintpass -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -isql -Usa -Ppassword -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -exec tlaas_linux1_sy.master..sp_who (works when logged into ZYDVAX01_SY.mzypd using isql) -stored procs in the replicate database...

ASE 15.0.2
Is it supported? Anyone tries this, if so, could you post the steps and comments. I don't want to use ECDA (gateway) here, unixODBC driver is preferred. Thanks You can't setup a "remote server" to anything other than another ASE, ECDA, or any other open server product. In order to connect to an ODBC target, your only option is ECDA. "dbMethods" <dbmethods@nospam.com> wrote in message news:47e19f5a@forums-1-dub... > Is it supported? Anyone tries this, if so, could you post the steps and > comments. I don't want to use ECDA (gateway)...

ASE to ASE

ASE and ASE

2-way Replication between ASE and SQL Anywhere
Hi All, We have a 2-way Replication setup between ASE 11.9.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 with replication server 11.5.1. Now we want to use ASE 12.0 Does this need changes in the versions of RS,SQL Anywhere, OSG for SQL Anywhere or LTM for SQL Anywhere. Waiting anxiously for help. Thanks and Regards, Shyju. ...

2-way Replication between ASE and SQL Anywhere
Hi All, We have a 2-way Replication setup between ASE 11.9.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 with replication server 11.5.1. Now we want to use ASE 12.0 Does this need changes in the versions of RS,SQL Anywhere, OSG for SQL Anywhere or LTM for SQL Anywhere. Waiting anxiously for help. Thanks and Regards, Shyju. ...

Rep. Server 11.0.2 with ASE?
Hi, I have RS 11.0.2 running on HP-UX 10 and SQLServer 11.0.2. I am thinking of upgrading Sybase to 11.5 ASE. Does anyone know of any incompatibility problems with running 11.5 ASE with RS 11.0.x? THanks for your help! > I have RS 11.0.2 running on HP-UX 10 and SQLServer 11.0.2. I am > thinking of upgrading > Sybase to 11.5 ASE. > Does anyone know of any incompatibility problems with running 11.5 ASE > with RS 11.0.x? No problems. We are running hp-ux 10.20 with RS 11.0.2 and ase 11.5. You may want to upgrade to the latest open client/server (11.1.1) ...

Replication between ASE and ASE URGENT
HI everybody Can you help me please with the following question. We need to syncronize ASE to ASE ( bidirectional) Initially, it was planned to implement with SQL remote, but it isn't available. With replication server, it isn't a solution beacuse, the customer doesn=B4t have a comunntication channel all time. We think use Mobiliink Server to replictase ASE to ASE, but using an ASA in the middle, so that, first it replicate ASE to ASA, and later, ASA to ASE, is it this feasible ??? Thanks four your answer "Marco" <mbarrion@uniplex.com.ec> wr...

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

ASA To ASE - VS

Web resources about - 2-way replication from ASE to ASE - sybase.rep-server

Replication (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in space , i.e. executed on separate devices, or it could be replicated in time , if it is executed repeatedly on a single device. Replication ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Violin to bring deduplication, replication, other tools to all-flash storage arrays
Violin Memory plans to add deduplication, thin provisioning, snapshots and other features in a software update for its all-flash storage arrays, ...