select * vs select field, which one is faster ?

Suppose we have a table of 50 fields, which command should we use to
take the result faster :

	SELECT * FROM Employee

	SELECT employee.id, employee.name FROM Employee

Thanks for help.

--

Best regards,

Ridwan
Goldbase Technology

Visit our Homepage :
http://www.geocities.com/Wallstreet/Floor/5251/index.html
http://members.tripod.com/~goldbase
http://members.xoom.com/goldbase
* Check out the Y2K (Year 2000 Problems - Millenium Bugs)

0
Rw

The second one. In that case, only data for two columns is retrieved.

--
- Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands
  Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115

Rw <goldbase@centrin.net.id> wrote in message
363D3E04.5A75@centrin.net.id...
>Suppose we have a table of 50 fields, which command should we use to
>take the result faster :
>
> SELECT * FROM Employee
>
> SELECT employee.id, employee.name FROM Employee
>
>Thanks for help.
>

>--
>
>Best regards,
>

>Ridwan
>Goldbase Technology
>
>Visit our Homepage :
>http://www.geocities.com/Wallstreet/Floor/5251/index.html
>http://members.tripod.com/~goldbase
>http://members.xoom.com/goldbase
>* Check out the Y2K (Year 2000 Problems - Millenium Bugs)

0
Eric
11/2/1998 7:35:41 AM
I agree with Eric - you ought to consider one other thing though...

If you ever change the Employee table (add a column) - you application
will immediately have problems.  Selecting just the columns you want
will insulate your application for database changes.

On Mon, 02 Nov 1998 12:07:16 +0700, Rw <goldbase@centrin.net.id>
wrote:

>Suppose we have a table of 50 fields, which command should we use to
>take the result faster :
>
>	SELECT * FROM Employee
>
>	SELECT employee.id, employee.name FROM Employee
>
>Thanks for help.

0
troberts