How Can VB Application Trigger Events or [talk to] PB Application

Hi all
    I want to know - if applicable - How Can Visual Basic
Application Call PowerBuilder Application to Run
    functions, Open windows, Etc

--
Thanks in advance
Waleed Seada

Waleed

Check out the use of OLE Automation in PowerBuilder, within the
Application Techniques manual.

On 11 May 2004 00:13:51 -0700, "Waleed Seada[BearingPoint]"
<DSweetPrince@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all
>    I want to know - if applicable - How Can Visual Basic
>Application Call PowerBuilder Application to Run
>    functions, Open windows, Etc
>
>--
>Thanks in advance
>Waleed Seada

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
5/11/2004 1:12:40 PM
I will, But could guide me to an electronic resource for
this issue

thanks a lot
/WS
"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
| Check out the use of OLE Automation in PowerBuilder,
within the
| Application Techniques manual.
|
| On 11 May 2004 00:13:51 -0700, "Waleed
Seada[BearingPoint]"
| <DSweetPrince@hotmail.com> wrote:
|
| >Hi all
| >    I want to know - if applicable - How Can Visual Basic
| >Application Call PowerBuilder Application to Run
| >    functions, Open windows, Etc
| >
| >--
| >Thanks in advance
| >-------------------------------------------------------
| >Waleed Seada
| >-------------------------------------------------------
| >

| Jim O'Neil
| Principal Technical Support Engineer
| Sybase, Inc.
| Concord, MA

0
Waleed
5/12/2004 11:33:57 AM
Well, you can get the books online at sybooks.sybase.com, but if you
are looking for a specific example, I don't know of one out there.

On 12 May 2004 04:33:57 -0700, "Waleed Seada[BearingPoint]"
<DSweetPrince@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I will, But could guide me to an electronic resource for
>this issue
>
>thanks a lot
>/WS
>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>| Check out the use of OLE Automation in PowerBuilder,
>within the
>| Application Techniques manual.
>|
>| On 11 May 2004 00:13:51 -0700, "Waleed
>Seada[BearingPoint]"
>| <DSweetPrince@hotmail.com> wrote:
>|
>| >Hi all
>| >    I want to know - if applicable - How Can Visual Basic
>| >Application Call PowerBuilder Application to Run
>| >    functions, Open windows, Etc
>| >
>| >--
>| >Thanks in advance
>| >-------------------------------------------------------
>| >Waleed Seada
>| >-------------------------------------------------------
>| >

>| Jim O'Neil
>| Principal Technical Support Engineer
>| Sybase, Inc.
>| Concord, MA

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
5/12/2004 1:24:40 PM
you could create a com object from pb and have both pb and vb use it as a
central place for logic.

"Waleed Seada[BearingPoint]" <DSweetPrince@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>     I want to know - if applicable - How Can Visual Basic
> Application Call PowerBuilder Application to Run
>     functions, Open windows, Etc
>
> --
> Thanks in advance
> Waleed Seada

DT
5/12/2004 2:33:48 PM
Sorry, I am new to this issue !!, Could you give me an
example(s) .. I am currently reading the Online Sybase books
about this issue [building Com Object from PB to be used as
a automated server] so if you could support me with some
examples it will be great

Thanks in Advance
Waleed Seada

wrote in message
| > Hi all
| >     I want to know - if applicable - How Can Visual
Basic
| > Application Call PowerBuilder Application to Run
| >     functions, Open windows, Etc
| >
| > --
| > Thanks in advance
| > -------------------------------------------------------
| > Waleed Seada
| > -------------------------------------------------------

0
Waleed
5/13/2004 12:34:35 PM
One note:  COM stuff can only be non-visual so we're only talking
nvo's/datastores.

1) create an app for your com stuff.
2) So put some functions in a nvo that you'll want VB to call.
3) use the project Wizard to create a com project object (New->Project tab->COM
Wizard)
4) Select the nvo or multiple nvo's. ->  This generates a project object.
5) Open the project object and click deploy.
6) On the machine where VB runs, you'll need to deploye the com object that gets
created from step 5
so, you'll need to register the dll
Regsvr32.exe <pathname>\xxx.dll   where xxx is app name
and include all the files like the .idl and pbvmxx.dll + (pbdwexx.dll if using
datawindow objects, database connectivity
dlls etc).  There may be more dlls needed as well.

7)  Once deployed, from PB, you call ConnectToObject (program id) ->  the
program id is a string listed in the project on step 5.  Not sure what VB code
you would call.
here is code snippet

OLEObject Soap
Soap = CREATE OLEObject
li_rc = Soap.ConnectToNewObject("PB90.n_soapclient")
IF li_rc < 0 THEN
    DESTROY Soap
    Return
END IF

//the com object has a function called processtrans ( string )
Soap.processtrans(ls_xml)

> Sorry, I am new to this issue !!, Could you give me an
> example(s) .. I am currently reading the Online Sybase books
> about this issue [building Com Object from PB to be used as
> a automated server] so if you could support me with some
> examples it will be great
>

> Thanks in Advance
> Waleed Seada
>
> "DT" <david.taylor@integritycompanies.com> wrote in message
> | you could create a com object from pb and have both pb and
> vb use it as a
> | central place for logic.
> |
> | "Waleed Seada[BearingPoint]" <DSweetPrince@hotmail.com>
> wrote in message
> | > Hi all
> | >     I want to know - if applicable - How Can Visual
> Basic
> | > Application Call PowerBuilder Application to Run
> | >     functions, Open windows, Etc
> | >
> | > --
> | > Thanks in advance
> | > -------------------------------------------------------
> | > Waleed Seada
> | > -------------------------------------------------------

0
DT
5/13/2004 2:55:04 PM
Thanks a lot, I will try then I hope it will be possible to
get a more about this issue later

Thanks,
/WS

wrote in message
| > Sorry, I am new to this issue !!, Could you give me an
| > example(s) .. I am currently reading the Online Sybase
books
| > about this issue [building Com Object from PB to be used
as
| > a automated server] so if you could support me with some
| > examples it will be great
| >

| > Thanks in Advance
| > Waleed Seada
| >
| > "DT" <david.taylor@integritycompanies.com> wrote in
message
| > | you could create a com object from pb and have both pb
and
| > vb use it as a
| > | central place for logic.
| > |
<DSweetPrince@hotmail.com>
| > wrote in message
| > Basic

| > |
| > |

| > |
| > |

0
Waleed

can we run another application from a PB application
Can anybody tell me if its possible to run a second PB application from an already running PB application? If yes, then is there any way to terminate the first application and continue with the second? Thanks, Menka Gupta Corsair Communications, Inc. Run("secondapp.exe") Halt Close S Rivankar Menka Gupta wrote in message <3846D57A.FE3778BB@corsair.com>... >Can anybody tell me if its possible to run a second PB application from >an already running PB application? > >If yes, then is there any way to terminate the first application and >con...

PB Application to PB Application communication
I need to have 2 powerbuilder application be able to communicate with one another. A string is all I need to pass between the two applications. I tried creating a com object that I could connect to from both applications. This com object would basically store the information I want to pass between the two applications in an instance variable. One application would populate that instance variable, then notify the other application(through the send command) to go read the information in the com object. I created the com object fine and can call a function on the com object ...

How Can I handle a PB Application from another Windows Application
Hy Guys, I have a big problem, I don't know how handle an Application created by PB from another application. I. E.How can I launch the an event or a global function or get some properties value? Thanks. Stefano Giostra. You can trigger user events mapped to pbm_custom01-pbm_custom75 by using the SendMessage Win32 API using message IDs between 1024 and 1098, respectively. You will need to use the FindWindow API to get the handle of the main window of the application you want to "talk" to. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Develop...

Application to Application
Hi,  Curious on what different solutions there are for one application that is closing down to contact another application. I have the closing down applicaton sending something to the database and for the other application to monitor the database records, but I think that is a horrible solution. Another idea would be when the closing down application sends a message to the database for the database to then respond by sending a message to the other application, but that means the database would have to know where the other application is.  If possible, the security issue mak...

Event triggering on PB application started out of PBNI
Hi, 1) Apparently events on PB message queue are not processed when PB application is started out of PBNI [...pbvm->RunApplication("treasury", LibList, 44,szcommandline,(IPB_Session**)&session);...] Use of ProcessPBMessage interface like below results in infinite loop because ProcessPBMessage stays returning 1 both when there are messages in PB queue as when there are no messages in queue: pbboolean pbResult; pbResult = session->ProcessPBMessage (); While pbResult pbResult = session->ProcessPBMessage (); How can we use ProcessPBMessage out of C++ to...

pb application deployment of application
ver 10.5 is there an easy way of finding which pb runtime files i need to deploy with my application to create an installation for a customer First of all, check out the PB runtime packager, and documentation in HTML books under application techniques, chapter 40. You can also use tools like process explorer (www.sysinternals.com - now Microsoft) that lists the active DLL's used by an application. Including tools like Dependency Walker (www.dependencywalker.com). (That even integrates with Process Explorer.) Regards Andr� P� Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:04:10 +0100, sk...

Closing Application from PB Application
Hi everybody, I'm trying to find solition for the following. I'm trying to close running application (for example PB application or any other) from another running application (PB application). I tried using GetModuleName Win API function to get handle of the application and then tried to close it using CloseWindoe function - it didn't work. Also tried to send and post messages using value for WM_SYSCOMMAND and SC_CLOSE message - still the same negative result. Does anybody have solution for that looks like simple thing. Unfortunately Powerbuilder allows you to start appli...

Can Custom events in PB make my application Crash?
I am using custom events pb_custom75,pb_custom74,pb_custom73. And, since then my application is crashing. Any Ideas? What code you have in this custom events? <RS> wrote in message news:439d10e9.7cf2.1681692777@sybase.com... >I am using custom events > pb_custom75,pb_custom74,pb_custom73. And, since then my > application is crashing. Any Ideas? I am destroying a serialport and reopening it in a window function which I am calling in the user event which i have mapped to pb_custom75. --RS > What code you have in this custom events? > <RS> wrote ...

Can web application(asp.net) interact with Window Application(vb.net) or vice versa ?
Hi all, I am developing a web application by using asp.NET. But part of the application requirement is to interact with a window based application which is developed by using vb.Net.If there any way that i can call vb.NET API , and use that API inside my  asp.net (web application)?  All kindly reply are appreciated.  ~p@ywen~ nothing is impossible ^_^v Yes, you can use a Web service.ASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest)...

PB 11.5 application is lower than the same application on PB 9
Hi, We have recently migrated our full source from PB 9 to PB 11.5. We found that the program is running extremely slow. We noticed that it happens mostly when using GUI. There are delays even when tabbing though controls on the screen. We run tracing on both environments, and most of the functions show that the response time is better in PB 11.5, but the experience of using PB11.5 application is very slow anyway. Has anyone experienced the same? On Aug 21, 9:13=A0am, chaau <andrew.chered...@gmail.com> wrote: Sorry, typo in the title. Should be PB 11.5 application is slo...

Can a web application trigger events without any interference of a user??
I hope this is the right forum to place this post, but I didn't see a better one.. I'm trying to build a web application where the data will change by time. For example for every user some values in the database wil increase every hour. The amounth it increases with is not a standard amounth but dependend on the users choices, and different for every user. I have experience in windows programming but not a lot in web programming, and I was wondering if it was possible to create a persistend "Engine" that will calculate these values and store them in the database, triggered b...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh This newsgroup is for discussing enhancement requests for future versions of PowerBuilder. You will get a much more relevant reponse if you post in one of the other newsgroups, for example: powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed or powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general <Mahesh> wrote in message news:E66A29615A1F68F4006837D685256BC8.006837E685256BC8@webforums... > Is it possible to call a internet...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh If I understand you correctly, you can add teh Microsoft Internet Explorer ole object to a window and have it browse to the site housing the PB appliation just like it would to any other site. See this technote for details on browsing automatically etc. http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=47945 - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com ...

Calling PB application from other web application
Friends, I have a situation here. I have a powerbuilder 7.0 application with windows, datawindows and database access. NOw, the management needs this powerbuilder application to be called by another web application. I would appreciate if you could give me the possible solutions. Thanks in advance, Saravanan I responded to this in another section. Please don't cross-post. On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:31:28 -0700, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc Saravanan Gurusamy <sarav_g@hotmail.com> wrote: >Friends, > I have a situation here. I have a power...

Web resources about - How Can VB Application Trigger Events or [talk to] PB Application - sybase.powerscript

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 24% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Surve Mortgage applications decreased 3.2 percent from one week earlier, according ...

Mortgage applications fall 3.2%
A definitive rise in mortgage interest rates over the last month is keeping borrowers at bay.

PCB firm Unitech looks to automotive, IoT applications for 2016 growth
PCB maker Unitech Printed Circuit Board expects demand for any-layer designs for use in automotive electronics, wearables and other IoT-connected ...