creating pdf in pb using distiller

Hello,

I have a program that creates a pdf using acrobat distiller and emails it.  When
the pdf is first created, there is a lag time of minimum 20 seconds.  After
this, the sooner it is created again, the quicker it is.  The longer of a wait
between creations, the longer it takes to create.  This is extremely slow on
users with slower machines.  This is probably more of a windows/distiller issue,
but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian

We don't use Distiller - we use the Amyuni PDF driver.  www.amyuni.com
Also, PB9 will have native SaveasPDF, so neither of these drivers will be
required.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
VCI   Springfield, MA

"Brian" <bcarney@softwarebycss.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a program that creates a pdf using acrobat distiller and emails it.
When
> the pdf is first created, there is a lag time of minimum 20 seconds.
After
> this, the sooner it is created again, the quicker it is.  The longer of a
wait
> between creations, the longer it takes to create.  This is extremely slow
on
> users with slower machines.  This is probably more of a windows/distiller
issue,
> but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Paul
3/20/2003 2:55:06 PM
���Does anybody out there use distiller???, because this has already been
invested in a long time ago.

Thanks

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:55:06 -0500,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript
Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote:
>We don't use Distiller - we use the Amyuni PDF driver.  www.amyuni.com
>Also, PB9 will have native SaveasPDF, so neither of these drivers will be
>required.
>
>--
>Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
>VCI   Springfield, MA
>www.vcisolutions.com
>

>"Brian" <bcarney@softwarebycss.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a program that creates a pdf using acrobat distiller and emails it.
>When
>> the pdf is first created, there is a lag time of minimum 20 seconds.
>After
>> this, the sooner it is created again, the quicker it is.  The longer of a
>wait
>> between creations, the longer it takes to create.  This is extremely slow
>on
>> users with slower machines.  This is probably more of a windows/distiller
>issue,
>> but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Brian
3/21/2003 9:03:40 PM
Isnt amyuni free?

Brian wrote:

> ���Does anybody out there use distiller???, because this has already been
> invested in a long time ago.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:55:06 -0500,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote:
> >We don't use Distiller - we use the Amyuni PDF driver.  www.amyuni.com
> >Also, PB9 will have native SaveasPDF, so neither of these drivers will be
> >required.
> >
> >--
> >Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
> >VCI   Springfield, MA
> >www.vcisolutions.com
> >

> >"Brian" <bcarney@softwarebycss.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a program that creates a pdf using acrobat distiller and emails it.
> >When
> >> the pdf is first created, there is a lag time of minimum 20 seconds.
> >After
> >> this, the sooner it is created again, the quicker it is.  The longer of a
> >wait
> >> between creations, the longer it takes to create.  This is extremely slow
> >on
> >> users with slower machines.  This is probably more of a windows/distiller
> >issue,
> >> but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Brian
> >> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> >> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

--
Adam Simmonds
Lead Analyst/Programmer � Web Development

0
Adam
3/22/2003 3:40:09 PM
Are you using Distiller or the PDF Printer Driver?

We use the PDF Printer Driver, and get the same issue.  The only solution I
can give you is to first run Acrobat and minimize it, so the hit of printing
the first time doesn't have to load the Adobe virtual printer driver.

If you are using Distiller, perhaps the polling interval on your source
directory needs to be tweeked.

"Brian" <bcarney@softwarebycss.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a program that creates a pdf using acrobat distiller and emails it.
When
> the pdf is first created, there is a lag time of minimum 20 seconds.
After
> this, the sooner it is created again, the quicker it is.  The longer of a
wait
> between creations, the longer it takes to create.  This is extremely slow
on
> users with slower machines.  This is probably more of a windows/distiller
issue,
> but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

David
3/23/2003 3:25:12 PM
I don't think it was free.  The developer license for it was around $700.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:10:09 +0930,
Adam Simmonds <asimmond@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
>Isnt amyuni free?
>
>Brian wrote:
>
>> ���Does anybody out there use distiller???, because this has already been
>> invested in a long time ago.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:55:06 -0500,
>>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript
>> Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom> wrote:
>> >We don't use Distiller - we use the Amyuni PDF driver.  www.amyuni.com
>> >Also, PB9 will have native SaveasPDF, so neither of these drivers will be
>> >required.
>> >
>> >--
>> >Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
>> >VCI   Springfield, MA
>> >www.vcisolutions.com
>> >

>> >"Brian" <bcarney@softwarebycss.com> wrote in message

>> >When
>> >After
>> >wait
>> >on
>> >issue,

>--
>Adam Simmonds
>Lead Analyst/Programmer � Web Development
>Student Administration Program
>Major Projects Group
>The University of Sydney
>Ph. +61 2 9351 5174