connection error handling

Can anyone tell me if there are plans to somehow return
messages or reasons for connection failures when you attempt to
connect to a Sybase database.    In particular I am interested in
connecting to a Direct Connect service and want to know if the
connection failed because (a) the server could not be reached (such
as if it had crashed) or (b) the userid authentication failed.
I believe that there are 2 different OpenClient error messages returned
in these situations.
Right now, if a connection fails, you get a "null" connection handle,
but I'm not sure if there is any way to get at the Open Client message.
ken
0
Kenneth
5/21/1998 4:56:32 PM
sybase.powerdynamo 591 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Does connection.GetErrorInfo() return anything?  I don't think it does, but
you might want to try it.

Carson

Carson Hager                     Dynamic Data Solutions
Team Powersoft                 http://www.dyn-data.com
chager@dyn-data.com

            ********  Are You Ready for the Web  ********
                             www.jumpstart98.com

Kenneth Harkness wrote in message <35645CC0.5BD0@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>...
>Can anyone tell me if there are plans to somehow return
>messages or reasons for connection failures when you attempt to
>connect to a Sybase database.    In particular I am interested in
>connecting to a Direct Connect service and want to know if the
>connection failed because (a) the server could not be reached (such
>as if it had crashed) or (b) the userid authentication failed.
>I believe that there are 2 different OpenClient error messages returned
>in these situations.
>Right now, if a connection fails, you get a "null" connection handle,
>but I'm not sure if there is any way to get at the Open Client message.
>ken

0
Carson
5/21/1998 5:16:30 PM
An upcoming version of PowerDynamo will include site.GetErrorCode() and
site.GetErrorInfo() methods. The purpose of these methods is to report
general errors that occur with site.CreateConnection() and the
Connection() constructor (e.g. myConn = new Connection() ) as well as
other errors that can occur (why site.CreateDocument() fails for
instance).

Steve Radman,

Kenneth Harkness wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there are plans to somehow return
> messages or reasons for connection failures when you attempt to
> connect to a Sybase database.    In particular I am interested in
> connecting to a Direct Connect service and want to know if the
> connection failed because (a) the server could not be reached (such
> as if it had crashed) or (b) the userid authentication failed.
> I believe that there are 2 different OpenClient error messages returned
> in these situations.
> Right now, if a connection fails, you get a "null" connection handle,
> but I'm not sure if there is any way to get at the Open Client message.
> ken
0
Steve
5/22/1998 1:49:56 PM
THANK YOU!!!!
ken harkness

Steve Radman wrote:

> An upcoming version of PowerDynamo will include site.GetErrorCode() and
> site.GetErrorInfo() methods. The purpose of these methods is to report
> general errors that occur with site.CreateConnection() and the
> Connection() constructor (e.g. myConn = new Connection() ) as well as
> other errors that can occur (why site.CreateDocument() fails for
> instance).
>
> Steve Radman,
>
> Kenneth Harkness wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there are plans to somehow return
> > messages or reasons for connection failures when you attempt to
> > connect to a Sybase database.    In particular I am interested in
> > connecting to a Direct Connect service and want to know if the
> > connection failed because (a) the server could not be reached (such
> > as if it had crashed) or (b) the userid authentication failed.
> > I believe that there are 2 different OpenClient error messages returned
> > in these situations.
> > Right now, if a connection fails, you get a "null" connection handle,
> > but I'm not sure if there is any way to get at the Open Client message.
> > ken
0
Kenneth

[connect error] Interbase Connect Error
In ODBC connect test is successfully.. but in PowerBuilder 6.5 Database Profiles is displayed error message.. Error Message is SQLSTATE = 40001 [Easysoft][Interbase]Dynamic SQL Error, SQL error code = -91, feature is not supported What means this message? Now I use PowerBuilder 6.5 & Interbase 5.6... Just I choose - Profile Name - Data Source --> This is ODBC DNS..(user DNS) - User ID - Password Does it need more? ...

Error handling in PowerDynamo
All, A kind of vague question for you. I want to know what sort of error handling can be done in a PD script! We are using Powerbuilder components in jaguar for all of our pages data, so the only use of the query object is to process resultsets. I am therefore of the thinking that the connection and query errorinfo is of little/no use to me! What would the site.GetErrorInfo call give me?? The only error handling that I can see me doing is checking that java.CreateComponent calls work (check that component != null) and that return values from my jaguar calls return success (Havi...

Connection error handling
I get an occasional connection error when connecting to the MySQL database. This query is only to tell if live help is available so I don't want the connection error to crash the whole page. Is there a way to abandon the connection attempt and not return an error if the connection fails? I'm really new at this so please excuse my ignorance. I don't even know if my code is right but it does usually work. Any help would be appreciated. Mike<% Dim DS As New DataSet Dim ConnStr As String = "Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};Server=XXX;Database=XXX;uid=XXX;pwd=XXX" Dim con As OdbcConnection...

Connection error
We have see the message: Connection error - An error occurred during the TCPIP connection attempt twice now. The first time was a laptop that had not been used in a while. Now we are seeing the same message while trying to connect to a computer where ASA has just been installed. brian Brian Howard wrote: > We have see the message: > > Connection error - An error occurred during the TCPIP > connection attempt > > twice now. The first time was a laptop that had not been > used in a while. Now we are seeing the same message while > trying to connec...

Handling errors with @@ERROR
I have code in a stored procedure to handle errors by checking "IF @@ERROR <> 0".   However my ASP.Net page displays an error message anyway when an error occurs. I have a feeling that as soon as there is an error it is based back to my ASP.Net web page and the stored procedure does not get to to my IF line or something similiar to that. Is there a way I can force the stored procedure not to raise an error automatically.  I want to handle these using my IF block....

Internal connection fatal error and other random db connection errors
Hi guys!My newly built website has just recently went online,but sometimes I face errors (randomly) like these: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.System.InvalidOperationException: There is already an open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first.System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Cannot find table 0System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.System.InvalidOperationException: ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.System.InvalidOper...

help. when using Profile GetPropertyValue, I get the following connection error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
 Hi,I need some help. I am getting this error after I complete the asp.net register control and click on the continue button. It crashed when it tries to get it calls this Profile property((string)(this.GetPropertyValue("Address1")));When I look at the stack, it is coming from my ProfileWrapper class which adds user address, city, etc.. from a class which inherits fromSystem.Web.Profile.ProfileBase. From the stack, it is calling the System.Web.Profile and crashed when it tries to open a connection atSystem.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObj...

pb connection object
Hi there, I added some code to the error event of the pb(7.01) connection object. It works fine if the error comes from jaguar component (like corba error etc..), but it seems to me that: ln_jagconnect.ConnectToServer() does not trigger error event in the connection object when Jaguar server is not running. If I test the result of the expression ln_jagconnect.ConnectToServer <> 0 it gives TRUE. I tried generic connection object adding some code in the error event, then made new custom connection object with the same conclusion(??) I hope somebody can say more what'...

Gracefully Handle Connection Refused Error
I have created a local C++ Builder 2010 Datasnap application with a client that doesn't need the service for most operations. In situations where the user attempts to perform an action that requires the service, I get the standard "Socket Error 10061, Connection Refused" error when the service is not running,. Rather than a standard error, I would like to attempt to start the service, or at least warn the user of the actual problem. I am having difficulty finding a way to trap this message, or better yet... attempt a secondary connection to identify whether the problem exis...

Connection "error handling"
The Power Dynamo Connection Error Handling does not work as I had hoped. I had thought that by adding "Connection Error Handling", when I created a temporary connection, that if this connection failed, I would get back a connection object with an error state. Instead, I get back "null". I haven't yet tried having a good connection and breaking it on the back end -- so I will try this. In my reading, also, it appears that the connection error is "no different" from the "query error". Is this true? (I still have some other tests to per...

Errors not being thrown, On Error Resume Next like error handling
I do NOT want On Error Resume Next type error handling. I have one page which I cannot figure out. (it is over 1000 lines so I don't want to past it). For example, I have a stored procedure that returned a UniqueIdentifier value and assigned it to a string. Normally that would throw an error and I would see that I made a mistake. This time the page continued to execute and render - WITHOUT AN ERROR MESSAGE. Of course it didn't provide the data I expected, but it also gave no indication as to why I couldn't see it. I do not have the code wrapped in a Try Catch statement at this ti...

error error error

errors errors errors..

Error, Error and more errors

Web resources about - connection error handling - sybase.powerdynamo

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.

Test Claims To Show T-Mobile’s YouTube “Optimization” Is Just Connection Throttling
... on the same network, and at the same time of day. They tested video streaming against three other kinds of downloads and measured the connection ...