PD10 Report: How to print embedded file text?

I have created some procedures as embedded file objects in a
PDM model and want to print the procedures as part of the
database definition using the Report Writer.  However, I can
only print the description or annotation information and not
the text of the embedded file.

How to I print the text of the embedded file in a report?

Thanks,
John
0
John

What exact version and build of PD10 do you have?  Maintenance applied?
What format is the procedure file?  Is it Word?  Excel?
Is the procedure information tied to specific objects in the model, or
is it about the entire model?  If the latter, then you could just put
that information in the Model Annotation field.  You can use rich text
there, and easily include that in the report.  Just a thought.

--
Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
http://www.datamodel.org

John Sweval wrote:
> I have created some procedures as embedded file objects in a
> PDM model and want to print the procedures as part of the
> database definition using the Report Writer.  However, I can
> only print the description or annotation information and not
> the text of the embedded file.
>
> How to I print the text of the embedded file in a report?
>
> Thanks,
> John
0
Mike
12/31/2006 1:21:01 PM
Mike,
It is just plain text.  I have a few procedures, such as an
archive procedure and a restore procedure.  I created them
as embedded text files, so that they are contained within
the project file and not a bunch of separate files that need
to be kept together.

As far as PD10, I have 10.1.0.1134, which I believe to be
the latest version of PD10.

I am confused why it should be so difficult to print the
text of an embedded text file?

Thanks,
John

> What exact version and build of PD10 do you have?
> Maintenance applied? What format is the procedure file?
> Is it Word?  Excel? Is the procedure information tied to
> specific objects in the model, or  is it about the entire
> model?  If the latter, then you could just put  that
> information in the Model Annotation field.  You can use
> rich text  there, and easily include that in the report.
> Just a thought.
>
> --
> Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> http://www.datamodel.org
> mike[at]datamodel[dot]org (can you figure what to change?)
> Sybase product enhancement requests:
> http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
>

> John Sweval wrote:
> > I have created some procedures as embedded file objects
> > in a PDM model and want to print the procedures as part
> > of the database definition using the Report Writer.
> > However, I can only print the description or annotation
> > information and not the text of the embedded file.
> >
> > How to I print the text of the embedded file in a
> > report?
> > Thanks,
> > John
0
John
1/2/2007 4:04:49 PM
Actually, the latest build for V10.1 is 1178, or EBF12, but I can't find
it on the web site anymore.
I've looked at V10 and V12, and this seems to be an on-going issue
regarding embedded or linked files.  PowerDesigner lets you embed or
attach files in/to a model, but it won't let you include the contents of
the file in a model report.  Yuck.
What you can do is save the text as an external file and include it in
the report as a "Text File" item.  You can put multiple files in there,
and they will be put in the report.  It is unfortunate that the behavior
for embedded files isn't clearly spelled out.  I have reported this to
Sybase tech support.  Please feel free to do the same, to provide your
perspective, and to indicate that more people than just me are upset.
When you do, reference my case # (11312502).

--

John Sweval wrote:
> Mike,
> It is just plain text.  I have a few procedures, such as an
> archive procedure and a restore procedure.  I created them
> as embedded text files, so that they are contained within
> the project file and not a bunch of separate files that need
> to be kept together.
>
> As far as PD10, I have 10.1.0.1134, which I believe to be
> the latest version of PD10.
>
> I am confused why it should be so difficult to print the
> text of an embedded text file?
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
>> What exact version and build of PD10 do you have?
>> Maintenance applied? What format is the procedure file?
>> Is it Word?  Excel? Is the procedure information tied to
>> specific objects in the model, or  is it about the entire
>> model?  If the latter, then you could just put  that
>> information in the Model Annotation field.  You can use
>> rich text  there, and easily include that in the report.
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
>> http://www.datamodel.org
>> mike[at]datamodel[dot]org (can you figure what to change?)
>> Sybase product enhancement requests:
>> http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
>>

>> John Sweval wrote:
>>> I have created some procedures as embedded file objects
>>> in a PDM model and want to print the procedures as part
>>> of the database definition using the Report Writer.
>>> However, I can only print the description or annotation
>>> information and not the text of the embedded file.
>>>
>>> How to I print the text of the embedded file in a
>>> report?
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
0
Mike
1/4/2007 12:06:51 AM
Mike - thank you.  I also find it hard to believe that you
can create an embedded file but can not include the contents
in a report.

I was able to find the latest EBF for 1178 on the downloads
area.

I will also report this to Sybase, if I can figure out how
to do it...

Thanks again for your help.
John

> Actually, the latest build for V10.1 is 1178, or EBF12,
> but I can't find  it on the web site anymore.
> I've looked at V10 and V12, and this seems to be an
> on-going issue  regarding embedded or linked files.
> PowerDesigner lets you embed or  attach files in/to a
> model, but it won't let you include the contents of  the
> file in a model report.  Yuck. What you can do is save the
> text as an external file and include it in  the report as
> a "Text File" item.  You can put multiple files in there,
> and they will be put in the report.  It is unfortunate
> that the behavior  for embedded files isn't clearly
> spelled out.  I have reported this to  Sybase tech
> support.  Please feel free to do the same, to provide your
> perspective, and to indicate that more people than just me
> are upset.  When you do, reference my case # (11312502).
>
> --
> Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> http://www.datamodel.org
> mike[at]datamodel[dot]org (can you figure what to change?)
> Sybase product enhancement requests:
> http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
>

> John Sweval wrote:
> > Mike,
> > It is just plain text.  I have a few procedures, such as
> > an archive procedure and a restore procedure.  I created
> > them as embedded text files, so that they are contained
> > within the project file and not a bunch of separate
> > files that need to be kept together.
> >
> > As far as PD10, I have 10.1.0.1134, which I believe to
> > be the latest version of PD10.
> >
> > I am confused why it should be so difficult to print the
> > text of an embedded text file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> >> What exact version and build of PD10 do you have?
> >> Maintenance applied? What format is the procedure file?
> >> Is it Word?  Excel? Is the procedure information tied
> to >> specific objects in the model, or  is it about the
> entire >> model?  If the latter, then you could just put
> that >> information in the Model Annotation field.  You
> can use >> rich text  there, and easily include that in
> the report. >> Just a thought.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> >> http://www.datamodel.org
> >> mike[at]datamodel[dot]org (can you figure what to
> change?) >> Sybase product enhancement requests:
> >> http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement

> objects >>> in a PDM model and want to print the
> procedures as part >>> of the database definition using
> the Report Writer. >>> However, I can only print the
> description or annotation >>> information and not the text
> of the embedded file. >>>
0
John
1/4/2007 4:13:06 PM
Reporting cases to Sybase isn't too hard.
First, if you have a support agreement with Sybase:
Call Sybase tech support (1-800-8 SYBASE).
Select the option to report a tech support case (I think it is 3).
Make sure you reference my case.

If you don't have a support agreement:
Go to www.sybase.com.
Hover your mouse over "Support & Services".
Select "Case Management" from the drop-down menu.
First time visitors will have to create an account (Free!).
In Case Management, on the left side, click on "Submit a Bug".
Fill in the fields (Make sure to reference my case) and click the submit
button.

HTH.

--

John Sweval wrote:
> Mike - thank you.  I also find it hard to believe that you
> can create an embedded file but can not include the contents
> in a report.
>
> I was able to find the latest EBF for 1178 on the downloads
> area.
>
> I will also report this to Sybase, if I can figure out how
> to do it...
>
> Thanks again for your help.
> John
>
>> Actually, the latest build for V10.1 is 1178, or EBF12,
>> but I can't find  it on the web site anymore.
>> I've looked at V10 and V12, and this seems to be an
>> on-going issue  regarding embedded or linked files.
>> PowerDesigner lets you embed or  attach files in/to a
>> model, but it won't let you include the contents of  the
>> file in a model report.  Yuck. What you can do is save the
>> text as an external file and include it in  the report as
>> a "Text File" item.  You can put multiple files in there,
>> and they will be put in the report.  It is unfortunate
>> that the behavior  for embedded files isn't clearly
>> spelled out.  I have reported this to  Sybase tech
>> support.  Please feel free to do the same, to provide your
>> perspective, and to indicate that more people than just me
>> are upset.  When you do, reference my case # (11312502).
>>
>> --
>> Mike Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
>> http://www.datamodel.org
>> mike[at]datamodel[dot]org (can you figure what to change?)
>> Sybase product enhancement requests:
>> http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
>>

>> John Sweval wrote:
>>> Mike,
>>> It is just plain text.  I have a few procedures, such as
>>> an archive procedure and a restore procedure.  I created
>>> them as embedded text files, so that they are contained
>>> within the project file and not a bunch of separate
>>> files that need to be kept together.
>>>
>>> As far as PD10, I have 10.1.0.1134, which I believe to
>>> be the latest version of PD10.
>>>
>>> I am confused why it should be so difficult to print the
>>> text of an embedded text file?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John

>> to >> specific objects in the model, or  is it about the
>> entire >> model?  If the latter, then you could just put
>> that >> information in the Model Annotation field.  You
>> can use >> rich text  there, and easily include that in
>> the report. >> Just a thought.
>> change?) >> Sybase product enhancement requests:

>> objects >>> in a PDM model and want to print the
>> procedures as part >>> of the database definition using
>> the Report Writer. >>> However, I can only print the
>> description or annotation >>> information and not the text
>> of the embedded file. >>>
0
Mike

Print Report to Text File
Product: Infomaker 5.0 on WIN NT 4.0 I created a report joining two large tables and computed fields. I use SQL Select/Tabular format to create the reports. This is a very large report. I would like to ditribute this report as ASCI text file. Only option available to save this file as *.PRN. When I use the option save Row as file text I lose all the computed fields. I want users to further analyse this report. How can I save this file as Text file with computed fields. Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Raj.G. rajg@shaw.wave.ca Saveas HTML and then in your ...

Help! Printing datawindow (reports) to a text file
I am documenting a system developed in PB5. (No they haven't migrated to 6 or 7 yet). I need to include images of reports (datawindows) that are too wide to fit on a single screen in the document. This has caused me to have to do multiple screen captures for a single report and piece them together. Does anyone know how I can get a datawindow report to print to a text file? Not just the rows, but the header band, summary band, groups, everything. Essentially I want to dump the screen image (viewable at the time and not viewable at the time) to a text file for editing. I know I...

Searching text file and printing to new file
I'm a nearly absolute beginner to Perl, and a lot of the text manipulation things confuse me. I have a large text file with information essentially broken into lines like this: findable text with a regexp information I care about more findable text There are plenty of sections like this in the file. How can I write a program that opens the file then searches for the middle line and prints it to a new file? PlagueMagazine@gmail.com wrote: > I'm a nearly absolute beginner to Perl, Then this site ought to be useful: http://learn.perl.org/ > and a lot of the te...

If I have a.doc file with text, can I print the text?
Is there any Class/Method in asp.net with which I can print the text of a doc file? Another question: I ahev a populated gridview or a datalist and I want to copy it to a file which I have just created. I tried the StreamWriter like: StreamWriter sw=new StreamWriter(FileName); sw.Write(DataList1);   Well I didn't expect it to work, but do you have any ideas how can I copy the whole datalist to the file via codebehind?    Thanks You cannot print the text of a .doc file just like that with the built in asp features. You can either use the Office Com...

Quick Report print overlapping lines when printing RTF text
Hi! I'm using: - Delphi 6 - QuickReport 3.5.1 Professional I noticed that the QuickReport impressions made with large amounts of RTF text were taking too long between the pages. The result appear ok, but after a test generating PDF and XPS, I noticed the QuickReport was overlapping lines when printing RTF (large amount of) text. Example: - When selecting 1 paragraph in XPS built file, copy, and paste in notepad, gives me 5 copies of the text. To print 25 pages of text, It took more than 3 minutes on a LaserJet Printer. I concluded the slow printing is result of sending larg...

convert crystal reports to text file(i.e .txt file)
 I have the problem to convert crystal reports to text file(i.e .txt file).Pls help in this one....

Print and print preview file on the website without using the File
Hi everyone, Is there any source code or help I can use to print and print preview my file on the IE and print the file using my own command instead of using the IE Print command. Please do reply me. Your help is greatly appreciated. Best regards....

How to print dynamic text (with line wrapping) that's not from a text file?
Hi everyone, Being a newbie to .NET, I've seen several examples (especially on MSDN) on printing regular text. However, it all assumes the text is in a text file and fits on a line. I have an application that needs to print textual output on the fly, complete with line wrapping. The output could be one line, or many lines, and have both vbtab and vbcrlf characters. The text is not from a text file and not from another control like a textbox. How is this possible? Can any gurus point me to good examples? Thanks!...

Printing text files
Any ideas on the best way to print a text file from a PowerBuilder 7 application would be much appreciated. Do I really need to open it up in notepad, copy the text to a word document, then print? Cheers Garry Garry wrote: > Any ideas on the best way to print a text file from a PowerBuilder 7 > application would be much appreciated. The first that comes to mind: WinExec('notepad /p "your_file_name.txt"', SW_HIDE) Dmitri. Best? What's your criteria? There's probably a couple ways to do it within PB, if your criteria includes m...

printing text file
what command to use in PB to print a text file? Hi MaLai uhhh...print()? You have to read the textfile into i.e. an mle. Then, open a printjob using printopen, mle.print(job), and printclose to close the job. HTH -- - Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115 MaLai <MaLai@hotmail.com> wrote in message FOsHM74F#GA.159@forums.powersoft.com... >what command to use in PB to print a text file? > > In one word -- ShellExecuteA. If you need a code sample, check ...

Printing a text file
Hi everybody, After creating a small text file using Fileopen, filewrite and fileclose, how can I sent it to a specific printer? I am using PB11.2, Windows Vista. Thanks a lot in advance Not certain about Vista, other Windows flavors you can use Run to copy the file to a printer port (example LPT1) after assigning the desired printer to that port. Or use the port as the file name in FileOpen .... <Manel> wrote in message news:48d18f12.5c9e.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi everybody, > > After creating a small text file using Fileopen, filewrite > and fileclo...

Parse text file to import into xml or mdb file, for crystal report generation.
HI! I have a txt file that looks like this: **START TRANSACTIONClerk Number=    2Clerk Initials=BABComment=Vendor Number=2    Vendor Code=OFFICESUPPVendor Name=******Vendor Phone=***Vendor Mailing City/State/Zip=Jackson, WY  90802                  Vendor Phone #2=Vendor Shipping Address=     Vendor Shipping City=        Vendor Shipping State=Vendor Shipping Zip= Payment Loop - Name=Check     &...

Printing a text file
Hi list, Does anyone know how to print out a text file to a printer? i would like the option of chosing a printer to send the document to, in addition, will I need to reformat the text, or will it print out the text file as is? Thanx Ben __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of your unique holiday gifts! Buy at http://shopping.yahoo.com or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com Ben Crane wrote: > > Hi list, > > Does anyone know how to print out a text file to a > printer? i wou...

Print text or file
Hi, May I know what's the function to print an external file (ie. abc.doc) or a list of text on powerbuilder coding?? Can I have the sample codes to help me on this issue. Thanks. Depends on what you are printing text file: run('copy c:\myfile.txt lpt1') or use FileCopy String variable: FileOpen ('LPT1') FileWrite(ls_text) FileClose Word document you probably want to use OLE to open and print with Word <lenniegpl@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1194925151.225395.3530@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > May I know what's the ...

Web resources about - PD10 Report: How to print embedded file text? - sybase.powerdesigner.general

Embedded system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Picture of the internals of an ADSL modem / router . A modern example of an embedded system. Labelled parts include a microprocessor (4), RAM ...

Embedded Instagram Photos on the Web Are Now Bigger, Cleaner
Is bigger better? In the case of embedded photos , Instagram believes the answer to be yes, as Mashable reported that the Facebook-owned photo- ...

Embedded Video Player
Embed Videos from Facebook on your blog or website.

Facebook rolls out embedded posts to everyone
Post by Mumford and Sons . Last month, Facebook ran a test of embedded posts with CNN , Huffington Post , Bleacher Report , PEOPLE and Mashable ...

Embedded-Clovis (@ClovisDuino) on Twitter

Rich photo experience now in embedded Tweets - Twitter Blogs
Every day, publishers and journalists all over the world share the best of Twitter with their readers by embedding Tweets in their articles. ...

Embedded Timelines - Twitter Developers
Overview Embeddable timelines make it easy to syndicate any public Twitter timeline to your website with one line of code. Just like timelines ...

Embedded Systems Conference (ESC)
ESC events provide an educational experience for embedded systems designers and technical professionals involved in designing electronics products ...

App Store - Embedded Computing Design
Get Embedded Computing Design on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

VIA Embedded booth digital home - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Stylish, discreet digital home automation, security and entertainment solutions on show at the VIA Embedded booth at Computex 2009