How to control field names?

Is there a way to control the field names that DataArchitect should generate
for a PDM from a CDM?

I've got  a CDM with a table Part and another table User. The table Part has
got some relationships with the User table (created by, changed by, ...).
When I generate the PDM DataArchitect generates (based on the .DEF file I
suppose) some fields for the relationships but they get strange names
(USERID, FT_USERID, FT_2_USERID and so on). I would like to control the way
the field names are generated so that they are called something like
PARTCREATEDBY, PARTCHANGEDBY,... I changed the fields Label and Role in the
relationship but it didn't make any difference in the PDM.

Can it be done?

Thanks in advance

Raul Rodriguez

0
Raul

Raul,
you can change column name in PDM as you would like.
be careful when you generate PDM again you need check
Preserve modifications in the generation option window.
Hth   Anna

Raul Rodriguez wrote:

> Is there a way to control the field names that DataArchitect should generate
> for a PDM from a CDM?
>
> I've got  a CDM with a table Part and another table User. The table Part has
> got some relationships with the User table (created by, changed by, ...).
> When I generate the PDM DataArchitect generates (based on the .DEF file I
> suppose) some fields for the relationships but they get strange names
> (USERID, FT_USERID, FT_2_USERID and so on). I would like to control the way
> the field names are generated so that they are called something like
> PARTCREATEDBY, PARTCHANGEDBY,... I changed the fields Label and Role in the
> relationship but it didn't make any difference in the PDM.
>
> Can it be done?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Raul Rodriguez
0
Anna
9/8/1998 8:02:11 PM
Anna is correct.  You change it in the PDM once generated and it will stay
that way.

Unfortunately, DA can't anticipate at generation time what you want to name
all of the columns that will be "pulled" into the child table.  I can see
that an enhancement request could be generated to "Use Role Name for Column
Name in Foreign Key Propagation".  That sounds like a model option in the
CDM.

Any developers read this one?  How hard would this one be to implement?

--
Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamPS]
mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com

Anna Ma'te' wrote in message <35F58D43.9F456D18@net-t.tvnet.hu>...
>Raul,
>you can change column name in PDM as you would like.
>be careful when you generate PDM again you need check
>Preserve modifications in the generation option window.
>Hth   Anna
>
>Raul Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to control the field names that DataArchitect should
generate
>> for a PDM from a CDM?
>>
>> I've got  a CDM with a table Part and another table User. The table Part
has
>> got some relationships with the User table (created by, changed by, ...).
>> When I generate the PDM DataArchitect generates (based on the .DEF file I
>> suppose) some fields for the relationships but they get strange names
>> (USERID, FT_USERID, FT_2_USERID and so on). I would like to control the
way
>> the field names are generated so that they are called something like
>> PARTCREATEDBY, PARTCHANGEDBY,... I changed the fields Label and Role in
the
>> relationship but it didn't make any difference in the PDM.
>>
>> Can it be done?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Raul Rodriguez

0
Michael
9/8/1998 8:40:29 PM
I agree with you, and this is exactly what I expected DataArchitect to do
when I entered the role names for the relationships. The way that Anna
posted is ok if you have got a static target for the PDM but in my case it
could happen that in the future I must generate a new PDM for another DBMS
(DB2 is in our customer's wish list). If I do all these changes in the PDMs
for the different DBMS it would get difficult to track all them so that I
make the modifications every time I must go to a new target.

How can I make an enhancement request?

Raul Rodriguez

>I can see that an enhancement request could be generated to "Use Role Name
for Column
>Name in Foreign Key Propagation".  That sounds like a model option in the
CDM.

0
Raul
9/9/1998 7:15:44 AM
Thank you Anna, but in my case I must generate different PDMs because I must
target different DBMS. If I make all these changes at the PDM level I must
do them manually again if in the future I must target a new DBMS. I thought
I could tell how to name the fields at the CDM level so that I just need to
generate a new PDM for the new target.

Raul Rodriguez

>Raul,
>you can change column name in PDM as you would like.
>be careful when you generate PDM again you need check
>Preserve modifications in the generation option window.
>Hth   Anna

0
Raul
9/9/1998 7:19:33 AM
Do you mean to say that targeting a different DBMS means having to
generate a completely new PDM, thus losing any changes I've made at the
PDM level? Even if I don't have triggers etc? Ouch, we're in trouble...
We have a largish data model (several hundred tables) and we are
currently targeting SQL Anywhere, but in the future we will want to
target other DBMS's. Can't we just generate different SQL from the same
PDM?

Raul Rodriguez wrote:

> I agree with you, and this is exactly what I expected DataArchitect to do
> when I entered the role names for the relationships. The way that Anna
> posted is ok if you have got a static target for the PDM but in my case it
> could happen that in the future I must generate a new PDM for another DBMS
> (DB2 is in our customer's wish list). If I do all these changes in the PDMs
> for the different DBMS it would get difficult to track all them so that I
> make the modifications every time I must go to a new target.
>
> How can I make an enhancement request?
>
> Raul Rodriguez
>
> >I can see that an enhancement request could be generated to "Use Role Name
> for Column
> >Name in Foreign Key Propagation".  That sounds like a model option in the
> CDM.
0
Chris
9/10/1998 10:27:42 AM
>Do you mean to say that targeting a different DBMS means having to
>generate a completely new PDM, thus losing any changes I've made at the
>PDM level? Even if I don't have triggers etc? Ouch, we're in trouble...
>We have a largish data model (several hundred tables) and we are
>currently targeting SQL Anywhere, but in the future we will want to
>target other DBMS's. Can't we just generate different SQL from the same
>PDM?

I think so. This is a text from the help system telling what DataArchitect
can do:

"Generate a corresponding Physical Data Model (PDM) for a target database
management system (DBMS), taking into account the specifics of the chosen
DBMS"

As I understand it the PDM is made for a given DBMS. I made a test where I
took a PDM that was for our SQLAnywhere DMBS and I told DataArchitect to
create it for SQLServer and I had some problems with fields like 'TIMESTAMP'
because in SQLAnywhere has got a different meaning as in SQLServer. In
SQLAny is the same as a DATETIME, and in SQL Server is a real timestamp.

Raul Rodriguez

0
Raul
9/11/1998 2:15:22 PM
Lets see now.  I've got one CDM and generate a PDM for DBMS-X.  Initially,
the names aren't what I'd like, so I change them.  Done.  Save the PDM.
Build DDL for DBMS-X.  Rather than go back to the CDM to re-gen the PDM for
DBMS-Y, I just open PDM-X and goto Database-Change Target Database.
I select DBMS-Y and save the PDM-Y as a new filename.  Now I have 2 PDMs.
Lets open PDM-Y and check it out.  The FK field names that were set in PDM-X
still have the correct names in PDM-Y, so that isn't an issue.
Most likely there are some datatype transition errors.  For instance, -X
might have had a Boolean datatype while -Y might not.  In that case, -Y
might have translated the Y/N field into a numeric (assuming 0=No and
1=Yes).  I want to use a one character field "Y"/"N" because that is my
standard.  This is where Domains come in real handy.  In the CDM, you should
use domains WHEREVER YOU CAN!!!  (did I emphasize that enough?)  In PDM-Y,
just go to the Boolean Domain and change the datatype from N(1) to C(1) and
modify the check constraints for it to only allow "Y" and "N".  Then when
you click OK it will propagate to all of the related columns.  Another
problem you will probably have (sorry Chris) is Triggers and Procedures.
Again depending on -X and -Y, the SPs and Triggers might not have translated
correctly or at all.  Some databases don't have the concept of triggers at
all.  Some have vastly different implementations.  Anyway, when you copy
the -X to -Y, then you will have to create/recreate/fix the triggers/SPs.
Lets make some business changes to the CDM and save that off; normal
business continues.
Oops, now we do have a problem.  I have to gen each PDM-X and PDM-Y
separately.  If I gen'd -X and did the change target thing again I would
lose all of the -Y specific things I had done.  Bummer.  I gen -X and make
any appropriate changes (from shifting the graphics a bit to renaming any
new FK columns as before).  I gen -Y and AGAIN I have to make the same
changes.  But at least it would be a work around.

Anyone have an alternate suggestion?

Oh, and now I have 2 more issues to start with Sybase.  First one is the
need for Candidate keys in the CDM.  I see this as a button on the Entity
Properties dialog that would let me set candidate keys.  Note that at first,
I would have an Entity with some attributes but no keys at all (haven't
thought that far ahead yet).  I would go through a process with the business
user to define which attributes uniquely identify an occurrence, making each
set of attributes into a candidate key.  Then I would select one of those
keys to promote to the Primary Key.  The other candidate keys would generate
into the PDM as potential alternate keys.  I would want to have a checkbox
for each candidate that would say "Yes, I want this to be an alternate key".
This would make the multi-PDM thing a piece of cake!  The second issue is to
be able to generate CDM role names into PDM FK column names.  That would be
very cool.  I see this one in the Relationship Properties dialog box as a
checkbox at the bottom that says "Use Role name when generating foreign key
columns".  I wouldn't want this at the model level because I can see times
where I would want to use the role and others where I would certainly not.

Neat?

--

Chris Miller wrote in message <35F7A99E.7D70AD62@pec.co.nz>...
>Do you mean to say that targeting a different DBMS means having to
>generate a completely new PDM, thus losing any changes I've made at the
>PDM level? Even if I don't have triggers etc? Ouch, we're in trouble...
>We have a largish data model (several hundred tables) and we are
>currently targeting SQL Anywhere, but in the future we will want to
>target other DBMS's. Can't we just generate different SQL from the same
>PDM?
>
>Raul Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> I agree with you, and this is exactly what I expected DataArchitect to do
>> when I entered the role names for the relationships. The way that Anna
>> posted is ok if you have got a static target for the PDM but in my case
it
>> could happen that in the future I must generate a new PDM for another
DBMS
>> (DB2 is in our customer's wish list). If I do all these changes in the
PDMs
>> for the different DBMS it would get difficult to track all them so that I
>> make the modifications every time I must go to a new target.
>>
>> How can I make an enhancement request?
>>
>> Raul Rodriguez
>>
>> >I can see that an enhancement request could be generated to "Use Role
Name
>> for Column
>> >Name in Foreign Key Propagation".  That sounds like a model option in
the
>> CDM.

0
Michael
9/11/1998 7:00:48 PM
Michael,
After managing a project that has attempted to maintain database
independence, I've determined that this is equivalent of the Holy Grail.  A
nice idea, but really undoable, and a collosal waste of time and resources.
The vagaries of each vendors' implementations of SQL continually shoots us
in the foot.
One example:
Sybase SQL Anywhere has the concept of user-defined database functions. We
used this feature, because in our industry, Monday is day 1 of the week, not
Sunday.  August 31, 1998 is actually in the "broadcast" month of September.
So we wrote VCI_datepart() to do this work for us.  Sybase SQL Server can't
support this, nor can MS SQL Server (these are both T-SQL based).  Oracle
does.  As soon as we took advantage of this terrific feature, we prevented
ourselves from migrating to two hugely popular platforms, one of them from
the SAME VENDOR!

I would welcome any comments from anyone that has had any success providing
a truly database independent system, of any complexity, to the marketplace,
and didn't have entirely different and distinct database implementations.

Paul Horan
VCI
Springfield, MA

Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamPS] wrote in message ...
> [...]
>>currently targeting SQL Anywhere, but in the future we will want to
>>target other DBMS's. Can't we just generate different SQL from the same
>>PDM?
>>
>>Raul Rodriguez wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with you, and this is exactly what I expected DataArchitect to
do
>>> when I entered the role names for the relationships. The way that Anna
>>> posted is ok if you have got a static target for the PDM but in my case
>it
>>> could happen that in the future I must generate a new PDM for another
>DBMS
>>> (DB2 is in our customer's wish list). If I do all these changes in the
>PDMs
>>> for the different DBMS it would get difficult to track all them so that
>>> make the modifications every time I must go to a new target.

0
Paul
9/14/1998 11:52:04 PM
Ahhh.  Take a look at MetaWorks, the repository module for PowerDesigner.
It tries to do exactly what you are talking about.  It uses ODBC to access
the database and refrains from using any higher DB functionality, like RI,
user defined datatypes, long column/table names, etc.  It is the least
common denominator solution, so never runs very fast, but does run
everywhere.  It will work on FoxPro, dBASE, DB2, etc.  On one hand I
appreciate the difficulties of handling multiple DB platforms, but on the
other I really wish they had limited themselves to the higher-level DBs.

--

Paul A. Horan wrote in message <0NOsEED49GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> [...]
key
>>columns".  I wouldn't want this at the model level because I can see times
>>where I would want to use the role and others where I would certainly not.
>>
>>Neat?
>>
>>--
>>Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamPS]
>>mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com
>>http://www.datamodel.org
>>
>>Chris Miller wrote in message <35F7A99E.7D70AD62@pec.co.nz>...
>>>Do you mean to say that targeting a different DBMS means having to
>>>generate a completely new PDM, thus losing any changes I've made at the
>>>PDM level? Even if I don't have triggers etc? Ouch, we're in trouble...
>>>We have a largish data model (several hundred tables) and we are
>>>currently targeting SQL Anywhere, but in the future we will want to
>>>target other DBMS's. Can't we just generate different SQL from the same

0
Michael

how to get a control ID from a bind field name / bound field (column) name from a formview's control
I have a form view which is bound to a table, now from codebehind file I need to apply some formatting based on some of the field's bound control. For example, if Formview1 is bound to Employee table, and it's item template has a control with ID "Label1" which is bound to "EmployeeJoinDate" . Now, I have a different table which has a list of field name(EmployeeJoinDate is one of them), all of which should be applied some formatting based on some condition. Now I can take two approach for that, but I am stuck at both:  1. If I can somehow get the contro...

Changing field names (display name) for a web interface and how to create a scroll bar for a datagrid or any control with a scroll bar to display data
Hello,  Can any1 please help me. i was wondering if any1 can tell  me how i can change  field names for a data grid only for the display on the web interface and also how can i put scroll bars on my data grid. Thank you.       Hi misbahmurtza, You can set field names in HeaderText attribute in any column or template. If you want to create a scroll bar, the easiest way is to set style for the <div> which contains your datagrid. Here is a sample: <div style="vertical-align: top; height:100px; width:100%; overflow:auto;"> Make sure ...

Control names on hidden fields doing a crosspostback
Hopefully you're not as confused by the subject as I was trying to come up with it. Here's my situation... I have a form that is posting to another website. The receiving website has specific field names that I can't change. The problem is that .NET butchers the field names _ctl10.container.fieldName vs. fieldname. I'm using some hidden fields to post to the site. I can use which will send the info with the correct name but then I can't perform any kind of code behind actions. Adding a runat="server" will allow me to work the the control in the code behin...

superreview requested: [Bug 288906] Return null for MSAA name when no name explicitly set for HTML form control : [Attachment 179538] If no name explictly set for form control, use SetIsVoid(null)
Aaron Leventhal <aaronleventhal@moonset.net> has asked neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil.parkwaycc.co.uk@myrealbox.com> for superreview: Bug 288906: Return null for MSAA name when no name explicitly set for HTML form control https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=288906 Attachment 179538: If no name explictly set for form control, use SetIsVoid(null) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=179538&action=edit ...

superreview granted: [Bug 288906] Return null for MSAA name when no name explicitly set for HTML form control : [Attachment 179538] If no name explictly set for form control, use SetIsVoid(null)
neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil.parkwaycc.co.uk@myrealbox.com> has granted Aaron Leventhal <aaronleventhal@moonset.net>'s request for superreview: Bug 288906: Return null for MSAA name when no name explicitly set for HTML form control https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=288906 Attachment 179538: If no name explictly set for form control, use SetIsVoid(null) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=179538&action=edit ...

Web Custom Control
 I wrote this web custom control, and finally got all the embedded images and script files to embed, and display properly.But when I assign a name to the ID of the Control, the server changes the ID Name.So I have a control called txtMovieEmbed, and I assign the ID as txtMovieEmbed.But when the control renders, the name changes to ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder2_txtMovieEmbed txtMovieEmbed = New TextBox txtMovieEmbed.Width = 325 txtMovieEmbed.CssClass = "FormControl" txtMovieEmbed.ReadOnly = True txtMovieEmbed.Text = MovieEmbedCode txtMovieEmbed.ID = "txtMovieEmbed&qu...

Name (control name) is not declared.
I get an error with every control I put in an ASP.NET page and try to reference in the code-behind file, that says "Name (name of control) is not declared.", even though the control is properly referenced with the correct name which I named it in the .aspx file. What is the deal? Does VS2005 Express not explicitly declare web controls in the code-behind file? If you add a control to your page and it has the runat attribute set to server, you can reference to it with the name you have specified for its ID attribute./Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD,...

variable name in control name
I have the below code that needs to be repeated for every day of the week. Without repeating the code, how do I use a variable name for the dropdownlist control? What I mean is , if I have a  loop that will run 7 times the same code, only difference being, the name of the dropdown control needs to be tweaked for each iteration? How do I do that? Thanks for your help. For ex: for saturday, the name of the control is    DropDownListWeek1SatTimeout1 for sunday, the name of the control is DropDownListWeek1SunTimeout1   Dim timelapsed As ...

Naming Controls with a variable Name
How can you name a control like my example below where var gives each textbox a different name? <% Dim var as Integer %> <% For var = 1 to 15 Step 1 %> <p></p> <asp:TextBox ID="textbox" runat="server" /> <% Next %> so something like this <asp:TextBox ID="textbox + var" runat="server" /> Hi Nick, The following code does what you want.<%@ Page Language="VB" %> <script runat="server"> Sub Page_Load( ByVal sender As Object, ByVal eArgs As...

How do I get the name attribute of a user control field programmatically?
Greetings, I am creating a javascript function in the code-behind of a user control (ascx).  I need to reference a RadioButtonList control within the javascript.  .NET adds prefixes to the control name because it exists inside a user control.  I need to reference the value of the name attribute of the RadioButtonList control for the following javascript to work correctly.  I've used the ClientID property in the code fragment below.  This is wrong and the javascript generates an error at runtime.  How do I get the name attribute of RadioButtonList1? &qu...

Easy one: How to use a control parameter within SelectCommand of SqlDataSource for the name of a field
I am tying to use a control parameter within the SQL statement of a SQLDataSource's SelectCommand to pass the name of a field.example:   SelectCommand="SELECT @fld FROM [tbl_links]" Can this be done?  When I try with the version below I get the literal string value from the list box (fld). It is not interpreting it as the name of the field.  For example if I try to change the selected item in the listbox to "linkArg"  (the name of a field in the table "tbl_links") I just get the text &q...

In a GridView control, how to save the field names with checkbox checked (data bit=1)?
I have successfully coded a GridView with many columns having a "bit" datatype for a checkbox.  NowI am wondering how can I save the column names whose checkboxes have been selected. I have worked CheckBoxList control before.  The following code was used to save the ListItem.Textto a Label for webpage display and database updating.   From GridView, how can I define the field nameswhose checkboxes are selected, i.e the data bit is "1"?   -- Jeffrey *******************************************************************************...

Wizard Control Adding $ To Control Names
I'm using the wizard control in .NET 2 beta which changes the name of the text boxes to [Name Of Wizard]$[Name Of Textbox].I have a javascript function client side that looks up postcode data on exiting a textbox but the $ or some other change in the name is screwing up the process. It works on a form where the text boxes aren't on the wizard.The event is set up by: PrimaryPostcode.Attributes.Add("onblur", "javascript:getpafdata('form1','ApplicationWizard$PrimaryPostcode','ApplicationWizard$PrimaryAddress1','ApplicationWizard$PrimaryAddress2','ApplicationWizard$PrimaryAddress3','Application...

Custom field controlled by other fields value
Hi i want to create a custom field with values shared by only 2 or 3 products for example. the only way i found is to duplicate this value 3 times (numbers of products having this field value). this is impossible because there is a constraint on the value of the custom field on the database. do you think that i can drop the constraint concerning this field from the database? Thanks a lot Fida On 10/22/2010 07:32 AM, fida wrote: > do you think that i can drop the constraint > concerning this field from the database? No, Bugzilla will not function properly with dupl...

Web resources about - How to control field names? - sybase.powerdesigner.general

Home lost after out-of-control grassfire at Edgecombe in central Victoria
One home is lost after a fast-moving grassfire sweeps through Edgecombe in central Victoria..

Apple’s iOS 9.3 preview page hints at possible Control Center toggle to enable Night Shift
... If you head to the iOS 9.3 preview page on Apple Canada’s website , you can see that there’s an option to enable Night Shift from Control Center ...

#TBT: The Time Ad Age Went All-In for Gun Control
"Can there be any doubt anywhere that violence and contempt for law and order are doing their rotten best to tear American society apart? "Can ...

Huemote for Apple Watch controls your Philips Hue lights
If you use a Philips Hue lighting system and own an Apple Watch, then Huemote is a must-have app. What easier way is there to control the brightness, ...

Simple free app alerts you when a program (or hacker) takes control of your webcam
... can take over your webcam without you knowing about it. That's right, malware, hackers or even government agencies like the NSA can take control ...

Cruz control: take a look at his puppet master
Cruz control by digby If you read nothing else today, read this Bloomberg article about Ted Cruz's top benefactor, the certifiably looney tunes ...

Run on Italy's Third Largest Bank? Capital Controls or Bail-Ins Next? Why Take Chances?
... "brilliant" comeback? Not a single fundamental problem with Italy, the ECB, the euro, or Europe in general has been fixed. Capital Controls ...

AlunaGeorge share "I'm In Control" ft. Popcaan
... last year to preview material off the followup to their 2013 debut Body Music, and now the first single is here. It's called "I'm In Control" ...

A guy made a remote control airplane using the fan from an old wall heater
... and old heater in his house when he realized that the blower motor inside of it could work a lot like a jet engine — so he made a remote control ...