DA and foreign key names

When generating the physical data model, DA will rename a column which has
a foreign key (so that the column name is the same as the foreign key
column name).  Is there a way to disable this ?

Scott......
0
Scott

Scott Cunningham wrote:

> When generating the physical data model, DA will rename a column which has
> a foreign key (so that the column name is the same as the foreign key
> column name).  Is there a way to disable this ?
>
> Scott......
I would sure like to know how as well!!!  We've been renaming the FK
columns to an appropriate name on the first gen of PDM, and when we
re-gen from CDM, those name changes are preserved... HOWEVER, we still
get the warning messages on PDM generation "Renaming column.... to ..."
even though the modified column name is preserved.

Karla Brady Massingill
0
Karla
10/24/1997 8:12:26 PM
Scott Cunningham wrote:

> When generating the physical data model, DA will rename a column which has
> a foreign key (so that the column name is the same as the foreign key
> column name).  Is there a way to disable this ?
>
> Scott......
I would sure like to know how as well!!!  We've been renaming the FK
columns to an appropriate name on the first gen of PDM, and when we
re-gen from CDM, those name changes are preserved... HOWEVER, we still
get the warning messages on PDM generation "Renaming column.... to ..."
even though the modified column name is preserved.

Karla
0
Karla
10/24/1997 8:15:05 PM
Hmmm, I need a little more to go on.  Are you taking a CDM and generating a
PDM?  Is this the first time or have you already done it a few times?  Have
you played with the "preservation options"?

The first time I generate a PDM, it creates the foreign key column initially
with the same name as the identifier in the referenced entity in the CDM.
You then rename the column to whatever you want it to be.  In the future,
the CDM will "remember" that the column it sees in the PDM is to be left
alone.  You can override this by disabling the preservation options in the
Generation dialog box.

Just to be sure, you aren't trying to put foreign keys into the CDM, are
you?  That would be a very bad thing to do.

HTH,
Mike Nicewarner

Scott Cunningham wrote in message
<01bcde28$68d6d8a0$97fc35ce@img-gw.iquest.net>...
>When generating the physical data model, DA will rename a column which has
>a foreign key (so that the column name is the same as the foreign key
>column name).  Is there a way to disable this ?
>
>Scott......

0
Michael
10/24/1997 8:22:13 PM
Well, you will always see that message fly by during the generation process.
Just ignore it.  Internally, it *IS* renaming the column, just not applying
it to the PDM because the target is already there.  Just don't ever turn off
the preservation option.  :-)

Mike Nicewarner

Karla Brady Massingill wrote in message <3451012A.49E2@tca-techsys.com>...
>Scott Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> When generating the physical data model, DA will rename a column which
has
>> a foreign key (so that the column name is the same as the foreign key
>> column name).  Is there a way to disable this ?
>>
>> Scott......
>I would sure like to know how as well!!!  We've been renaming the FK
>columns to an appropriate name on the first gen of PDM, and when we
>re-gen from CDM, those name changes are preserved... HOWEVER, we still
>get the warning messages on PDM generation "Renaming column.... to ..."
>even though the modified column name is preserved.
>
>Karla Brady Massingill

0
Michael
--------------9CAFAD0679AAC89E02B6FEB8

Why can't we control the foreign key name it will use in creating
the foreign key in PDM by choosing the Relationship name or the Role
name in the CDM .  So far, this is wasted information.
--------------9CAFAD0679AAC89E02B6FEB8

begin:          vcard
fn:             Ron Jackson
n:              Jackson;Ron
org:            Database and Client/Server Development
email;internet: ronjack@concentric.net
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------9CAFAD0679AAC89E02B6FEB8--

0
Ron

PowerDesigner
okay this is the issue When you generate the PDM from the CDM, PowerDesigner generates, using its own naming convention, the foreign key column that is placed in the physical model table - we want to have control over this column name ie: we want this foreign key column to be called f_key in our physical table. Please note we are not talking about FK/PKconstraints names etc, we are talking about the actual column name of the foreign key. We have searched through the definition file and cannot find where its being set. Or is this not possible to control in PowerDesigner and you have ...

Foreign key name
Hi all, I am using PD 11 . The scenario is: when I create two relations between 2 tables (one with role name and the other without role name) then generate the physical model, and use the %PROLE% as FK column name . when the model generates , one FK gest the role name and the others that hadn't role gest the table name as FK. I want to change the default of tabel name to column name is there any one that knows the solotion? regards, The default behavior is for the parent table column name to be used as the FK column. The columns from the first reference should be the ...

Foreign Key Names
I can't seem to figure out where to set the Foreign Key Naming convention. As I generate from a CDM to PDM how do I take control of how relationships are migrated and named. and, what documentation should I read to get a better handle on this? OK, you do not have any control over the default foreign key names in the initial CDM -> PDM generation. However, after you change it in the PDM, the next time you generate PD will abide by your names. -- Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] psyclo@datamodel.org http://www.datamodel.org "Coy Lay" <coy.lay@acm.c...

Name Of Foreign Key
I'm using SQL Any50, ORACLE, and SQL Server 6.5 with a PB 6.0 Application. I'm looking for a solution to get the name of the Foreign Key, for some Table of my application. Is there someone who know where i can find it in the system table ? Thank's ETIENNE St�phan Steph -- In Oracle, you need to look at either the ALL_CONSTRAINTS or the USER_CONSTRAINTS view. In SQL Server 6.5, you would look at the SYSREFERENCES table. I'm not sure where you'd look in SQL Anywhere. HTH Ron Gallagher, CPDP Atlanta, GA rongallagher@mindspring.com Steph w...

Name of foreign key
Hello ! I am working on a program we bought. The previous developpers used PowerAMC and I can't find where they precised the way to name foreign keys. Exemple : if the table "Bill" has a reference to the table "Supplier", when I generate the MPD, the reference is converted this way in the table BILL : ID_SUPPLIER. I want to know where "ID_%TABLE%" is defined ? Otherwise, is it possible for certain foreign keys to define in the MCD the name they will have in the MPD ? Exemple : I have an other table where I want one foreign_key to have a special n...

Table design question (to foreign key or not to foreign key)
Our application is a message board and is full of messages, threads, and forums. A message is an individual entry (like the one I'm typing now ;)). Our software gives the user the ability to upload a single file attachment to each message. I can think of a couple different ways to design the two tables: message( messageid numeric identity, attachmentid numeric null, messagetext text, other, message, stuff... ) attachment( attachmentid numeric identity, title varchar, other, stuff ) or message( messageid, messagetext text, other, stuff ) attachment( messageid numeric foreig...

Foreign key names #2
Hi all, I like to have all my foreign key names set to FK_%PARENT%_%CHILD% so that I have an idea of what the link is. When I set this up in Rebuild Indexes, I get sporadic parent and child table names. For example, I have 3 tables Template, Customer & Store. When I set up an FK between Template (child) and Customer (parent) I get FK_CUSTOMER_STORE. Sure enough there is an FK between Customer & Store but why is it being referenced ? OK, are you wanting to control the names of indexes or foreign key constraints? FK Indexes: You can't use %PARENT% or %CHILD%...

Multiple Foreign Key names
Hi all, PD15 EBF7 Table A B C Column a pk a pk a fk1, fk2 aa b c aaa c d A and C are linked by reference D. B and C are linked by reference E. I can see that fk1, fk2 are displayed in C table. I hope that fk is only displayed in C table. TIA Robert, I am not sure I understand what you need to see. When you fold a foreign key like you have with column a in table C, it is important to know it is a foreign...

RoleId/Name as Foreign Key
I'm trying to create a relational SQL data table where one of the foreign keys relates to the aspnet_Roles table.At first, I was linking to the RoleId field because it was the primary key, but that's no good because I can't retrieve the RoleId of a RoleName from my code. I then read this post:http://forums.asp.net/p/1077364/1585594.aspx#1585594 How do I reference the RoleName field as a foreign key? I tried doing it but because RoleName isn't a Primary Key or 'Unique', it won't let me do it.I get the following message:'The columns in table 'aspnet_R...

Naming foreign keys PD9
I would like to change the standard way of naming the foreign keys in the PDM. In the DBMS definition, I change ConstName (Script->Objects->Reference->ConstName) and it works: FK_%CHILD%_%PARENT% leads to the name FK_CHILDTABLE_PARENTTABLE Now, I would like to include the name of the referenced parent primary key column (in this particular model, there is always only one column referenced), but FK_%CHILD%_%PARENT%_%PKEYCOLUMNS% yields FK_CHILDTABLE_PARENTTABLE_ I've tried almost all variables listed in the PDM reference guide, but I don't get there...

Naming of foreign keys in the PDM
When I have relationships between two tables, I cannot influence the name of the foreign key field which is generated. Example: I have two tables: customer, user I have two user references in the customer table, the user who manages the customer and the user who created the customer record. When I generate the PDM I always get the field names "id_user" and "id_user2" which are not really useful. I would prefer "managing_user" and "creation_user". Is there a way to influence these names? Regards, Martin -- Martin Matt Neudorfstr...

Foreign Key Inferred Name
So I'm a complete noob to Dynamic Data. My team set up a Dynamic Data website which we're essentially using for scaffolding...we have an already existing DB schema which we plugged it into. And it works perfectly! One thing though - the Dynamic Data code automatically infers a friendly name when generating a drop down list for a foreign key. In our case, we have a "Contacts" table, and the primary key is ContactID, and the first field in the table is "First_Name", and this is what is showing up in the drop down menu. So for instance, when adding or editing an...

Powerdesigner foreign key trouble
Hi, I have a problem in a CDM with the link among the table that become a problem in the PDM. By example, I have to connect tre entity with relation one-many and in every entity I have the same attribute, ex. CODE. If I have to connect two entity to the third entity, but powerdesigner on the conversion from CDM to PDM inserts yhe attribute CODE from every entity on the third part and translate the CODE to %TABLE_NAME%_CODE. I would to be one only CODE on the third entity and the code of any contraints to be ...reference to only parent code. Can anyone help me ? (sorry for my poo...

Foreign Key names #3
I wanted to know if there is a way to control the naming convention of foreign keys in power designer, while generating a PDM from CDM. Thnx Javed Rahman javed_r@hotmail.com � You can change this in the DEF file for the target database you are selecting. Find the file and open it in an editor. You should find a block that looks like this: # Constraint name template for Primary Keys PKConstraintName = PK_%.U27:TABLE% # Constraint name template for Foreign Keys FKConstraintName = FK_%.U8:CHILD%_%.U9:REFR%_%.U8:PARENT% # Constraint name template for Alternate Keys AK...

Web resources about - DA and foreign key names - sybase.powerdesigner.general

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Russia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
32/34 Smolenskaya-Sennaya pl, Moscow 55°44′46″N 37°35′3″E  /  55.74611°N 37.58417°E  / 55.74611; 37.58417 Coordinates : 55°44′46″N 37°35′3″E ...

Gunmen stabbed three foreign tourists in Egypt hotel
THREE foreign tourists were stabbed after two militants with guns reportedly waving a black IS flag stormed a seaside hotel in Egypt.

App used to teach foreign languages
The Federal Government trials an app program for preschoolers to help teach one of five languages which includes Mandarin, Japanese, Indonesian, ...

Real State of the Union: Foreign Policy - Al Jazeera America
Obama’s promised era of diplomacy has finally arrived, but it may not cement his legacy

Paul: "Extraordinary" to have a foreign-born president
The Republican presidential candidate weighed in on the candidacy of fellow Sen. Ted Cruz, and predicted a Democratic challenge

Obama Says Economic Decline Is A Myth, Touts Foreign Policy In Final SOTU
' That’s why I stand here confident that the State of our Union is strong'

Beijing Wants To Be A Hub For Foreign Student Start-ups Any Takers?
Taking its cue from Tokyo, Beijing is getting serious about attracting talent. Foreign talent, that is by offering foreign students internships ...

3 Foreign Tourists Injured As Gunmen Attack Egyptian Hotel
Huffington Post 3 Foreign Tourists Injured As Gunmen Attack Egyptian Hotel Huffington Post The attack occurred one day after Islamic State ...

Sushma Swaraj meets Rajnath Singh amid uncertainty over Foreign Secretary talks with Pakistan
Sources indicated that the recent terrorist attack in Pathankot, where seven security personnel were killed, might have figured in the meeting. ...

Foreign tourists wounded in attack at Egyptian Red Sea resort
Two armed assailants attacked a hotel in the Egyptian Red Sea resort town of Hurghada on Friday, wounding three foreign tourists, Egyptian officials ...