column type wrong

Hi,
I am converting a fox pro .dbf file to SQL Anywhere 6.0 using
PowerDesigner SQL Modeler 6.1. After the conversion, it had made all my
columns to type char(10) regardless the original type set up in foxpro.
Why?  Please help. Thank you very much.

Sherrill (Pei-chih) Verbrugge
Right to Life of Michigan
sverbrugge@rtl.org

0
sverbrugge

Try converting the FoxPro PDM into a CDM and see what data type it sets
everything to.  If it looks ok, then look at the SQL Anywhere 6.0 definition
file (should be under the install directory with extension .DEF).  If it
doesn't look right in the CDM, then the FoxPro definition file (same place)
is the problem.  In either case, you will probably need to edit the file(s).
Look in the file for the datatype conversion section (don't remember the
exact title, sorry).  It will have lines that look like this:
CHARACTER(?) = A(?)
or something similar.  There are two sections.  One will specify how to go
from the PDM to the common (CDM) format and the other specifies how to go
from the common format to the PDM.  When you change from FoxPro to ASA, it
uses the FoxPro definition file to go from FoxPro to the common format as an
interface, then uses the ASA def file to complete the conversion.  Trace the
path that datatypes will take and see where they get messed up.

Another think....  You are using 6.1.0?  I don't think it supports ASA, does
it?  You might want to upgrade to 6.1.1 and see if the def files are better.
They get fixed sometimes in maintenance releases.

Sorry I can't help more.

Mike Nicewarner

sverbrugge wrote in message <362BA7FF.1680E11F@rtl.org>...
>Hi,
>I am converting a fox pro .dbf file to SQL Anywhere 6.0 using
>PowerDesigner SQL Modeler 6.1. After the conversion, it had made all my
>columns to type char(10) regardless the original type set up in foxpro.
>Why?  Please help. Thank you very much.
>
>Sherrill (Pei-chih) Verbrugge
>Right to Life of Michigan
>sverbrugge@rtl.org

0
Mike
10/20/1998 4:50:36 PM
Hi Sherrill,

Mike is correct.  The behavior that you are experiencing is caused by
the internal mappings for the data type conversions.  Normally when
you reverse engineer a database or script, the target database in
PowerDesigner is the same as the database being reverse engineered.
In your case, the target database would need to be a Foxpro database.
However, PowerDesigner SQL Modeler ony provides you support for the
Sybase family of databases.  As a result, when you reverse engineer
your .pdf file, SQL Modeler is trying to use a definition file/ target
database (that your selected)  optimized specifically for Adaptive
Server Anywhere 6.0 to read a script specfically for Foxpro.  Thus you
receive the results that you are seeing.

I suggest you call 1-800-8SYBASE or speak with your salesperson on
obtaining a full version of PowerDesigner DataArchitect or AppModeler
depending on your needs.

HTH,

Anthony Hill
PowerDesigner Technical Support

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:50:36 -0500, "Mike Nicewarner"
<nicewarner@cwix.com> wrote:

>Try converting the FoxPro PDM into a CDM and see what data type it sets
>everything to.  If it looks ok, then look at the SQL Anywhere 6.0 definition
>file (should be under the install directory with extension .DEF).  If it
>doesn't look right in the CDM, then the FoxPro definition file (same place)
>is the problem.  In either case, you will probably need to edit the file(s).
>Look in the file for the datatype conversion section (don't remember the
>exact title, sorry).  It will have lines that look like this:
>CHARACTER(?) = A(?)
>or something similar.  There are two sections.  One will specify how to go
>from the PDM to the common (CDM) format and the other specifies how to go
>from the common format to the PDM.  When you change from FoxPro to ASA, it
>uses the FoxPro definition file to go from FoxPro to the common format as an
>interface, then uses the ASA def file to complete the conversion.  Trace the
>path that datatypes will take and see where they get messed up.
>
>Another think....  You are using 6.1.0?  I don't think it supports ASA, does
>it?  You might want to upgrade to 6.1.1 and see if the def files are better.
>They get fixed sometimes in maintenance releases.
>
>Sorry I can't help more.
>
>Mike Nicewarner
>
>sverbrugge wrote in message <362BA7FF.1680E11F@rtl.org>...
>>Hi,
>>I am converting a fox pro .dbf file to SQL Anywhere 6.0 using
>>PowerDesigner SQL Modeler 6.1. After the conversion, it had made all my
>>columns to type char(10) regardless the original type set up in foxpro.
>>Why?  Please help. Thank you very much.
>>
>>Sherrill (Pei-chih) Verbrugge
>>Right to Life of Michigan
>>sverbrugge@rtl.org