Testing a PFC application (or any PB application)

Hi!

I just want to have a few tips on how testing a PFC application should be
done.  With all the events that occurs in an application, it is sometimes
hard to trap every single thing that could happen at anytime!

What do you think are the basics steps that for testing an application?
What simple things should be considered when coding the application?

When you code the application, do you consider all the possible cases at the
moment or you put them off until a "testing phase"?

What is the best way to activate or deactive menu items while the
application is running and data is being added or deleted or modified from
the system?

Let me know how you process when you starting a new PB-PFC application, that
would really help me to find fast trick that will save me some precious
developing time!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read me

Patrick Lessard
mailto:lessardp@loginnovation.com

0
Patrick

HELP PLEASE!, how to convert non PFC application to PFC application?
Your help is much needed. I have developed many windows and datawindows without using PFC, how do i make the pfc to be the ancestor of all my windows and datawindows? Syed. -- Syed Ibrahim Sapura Advanced Systems Sdn. Bhd, 18th Floor, Menara Tun Razak, Jalan Raja Laut, 50350 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Tel: (03) 295-3472, (03) 294-3000 Fax: (03) 294-6587, (03) 293-3154 You will have to export each object to a file. Then you can edit the file to change to ancestor and import it again. I suggest you create separate PBL's before you import because you don't want to overwri...

Application in Powerbuilder 5.0.2 with PFC
I recently found myself in charge of an application built in Powerbuilder 5.0.2 using the PFC. Nobody seems to have the installation disks for PB 5.0.2 available anymore, so I was looking at Powerbuilder 8. I have never used PB 8 nor have I used PFC in any version. My 2 questions are 1) can and go from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8 and 2) how do you migrate using the PFC?? Thanks. Wallace Henry whenry@newcorp.com On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:29:33 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc Wallace Henry <whenry@newcorp.com> wrote: >I recently found myself in charge of an application...

Migrating non-PFC applications to PFC.
Hi, I'm going to be involved in migrating a non-PFC application to PFC based application. I've been working with PFC since it came out, but I've not been involved with conversion of a non-PFC application. Would anybody share his/her thoughts about the process involved in doing that and the pitfalls to watch for. I would appreciate any input. Thanks. JD I've only done it on small apps and it was a real headache. For starters you must throw away your existing mdi frame, login window, etc, and use the ones in PFC. All your frame logic, which isn't already...

Application Error migrating PFC application
I am trying to migrate an existing application that uses PFC's. I am migrating from P/B 7.0.3 to P/B 8.0.4. After successfully migrating the object and running it within the P/B environment, I compiled the code. I copied it to a folder with the P/B runtime DLL's and tried to run the program. The program starts and you see the PFC supplied Logon window. If I do anything at all, the program dies with an Application Error. The instruction at "0x10c86afc" reference memory at "0x00000000003". The memory could not be read. By doing anything, I mean things l...

Hybrid PFC non-PFC Application
We have a very large application we would like to migrate to the PFC over time. Unfortunately we will be required to keep a hybrid application in production during the conversion process because we are constantly adding new functionality. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? TIA Mark Graham mgraham@justicesystems.com I would *not* suggest attempting this. Instead, keep maintaining the old version (turing out point releases) while you develop a new major version (based on PFC). I don't think that a hybrid PFC application would work well. (I wouldn't expe...

Hybrid PFC/non-PFC Applications
We have a large application that we would like to migrate to the PFC. The application is constantly being customized to meet the needs of different customers so we cannot freeze the application while the conversion takes place. Our plan is to build all new portions of the application using the PFC and convert the existing parts of the application over time as resources allow us to do so. Does anyone have experience with hybrid applications? We know we will need two different transaction objects, are there any other issues we will need to deal with? TIA Mark Graham mgraham@justi...

How to include the pfc in a non pfc application
Still I am with the problem of powerbuilder pfc implimentation in my powerbuilder projects. Please anybody can advice me it would be very helpful to a beginner like me how I can impliment pfc in my non pfc project . I am expecting a help like to a beginner . I donot think any help is available in any other forum for powerbuilder other than this. So please kindly consider my request. With thanks Pol ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp On Sep 25, 1:02=A0am, "polachan" <polachan> wrote: > Still...

Undefined variable: gnv_app (PB & PFC application from PB 6 to PB 11.)
Hi All, Please tell how i can resolve below problem : I am trying to migrate PB & PFC application from PB 6 to PB 11. I am getting below error message, I tried so many combination to put pbls but still I am getting same error, even the object and all the pbls are present see below list pbl list : \pfeapsrv.pbl; \pfedwsrv.pbl; \pfemain.pbl; \pfeutil.pbl; \pfewnsrv.pbl; \pfcapsrv.pbl; \PFCDWSRV.PBL; \pfcmain.pbl; \pfcutil.pbl; \PFCWNSRV.PBL; \pfcapp.pbl; \pfcold.pbl; \pfebarcode.pbl; \pfertf.pbl; \pfetempl.pbl; ...

Converting existing non-PFC applications to PFC.
We have some applications which were developed in PB 4 and has been upgraded to PB5 and migrated to PB6. We have custom made ancestor objects for windows as well as user objects for dws. we have upto 4 layers of objects. We wish to convert our application to take advantage of PFC. Can any one out there guide whether this would reuqire re-writting the entire system ? We have lot of NVUOs which work as PFC services but with having different purpose. Our applications are very large and rewritting would amount to atleast 35 man months of work. One approach (and the only possi...

PFC services in non pfc-template application
Hi, Can I use the PFC resize service in my old MDI applications without PFC template. How can I do it. I've imported this nvo objects in my applications but i don�t know how can i use it with my windows. Thanks There is no blanket answer for that. You (or someone) would have to look at each individual service in question and determine how it's linked into other objects. For example, I'd expect very little cross-dependencies for the String service, but I'd expect a lot of issues with the Logical Unit of Work service. Also, if you've implemented an anc...

PB Application to PB Application communication
I need to have 2 powerbuilder application be able to communicate with one another. A string is all I need to pass between the two applications. I tried creating a com object that I could connect to from both applications. This com object would basically store the information I want to pass between the two applications in an instance variable. One application would populate that instance variable, then notify the other application(through the send command) to go read the information in the com object. I created the com object fine and can call a function on the com object ...

To PFC or Not To PFC
I'm returning to PB development after about 7 years in management and I'm trying to figure out how PFC fits into the current PB world. I used it with 6.5 and thought it was great (though sometimes a little complex, especially when debigging). It seems that Sybase doesn't push it anymore and I think I saw a post that said it hasn't changed since 8.0(?). I'll be developing an app for commercial sale and I think PB is perfect since I think I can get more done in a shorter period of time with PB than with anything else. I especially like that PB's future leads...

PFC ? Not PFC ?
I am about to start a very big application and would like to know whether to use PFC or not. Is it not a good idea if we are only using a very small portion of the PFC functionalities? What are the benefits of using PFC? What are the disadvantage of using it? We already have development problem because it is too slow to bring up the object and window list in the dubugger. Please advise. loser , To Use or Not to Use? I dont have an answer for you there but, a solution to your speed of the debug issue is the following. We have found that keeping copies of the PFC, PFD, and PFE p...

Application to Application
Hi,  Curious on what different solutions there are for one application that is closing down to contact another application. I have the closing down applicaton sending something to the database and for the other application to monitor the database records, but I think that is a horrible solution. Another idea would be when the closing down application sends a message to the database for the database to then respond by sending a message to the other application, but that means the database would have to know where the other application is.  If possible, the security issue mak...

Web resources about - Testing a PFC application (or any PB application) - sybase.powerbuilder.pfc

Would you give up chocolate for better application performance?
Application performance is critical to business performance according to 98 percent of businesses, yet 89 percent of executives say the poor ...

NASA is accepting astronaut applications, and this quiz will tell you if you qualify
... gone before, then you might want to sign up to be a NASA astronaut. On Dec. 14, for the first time in four years, NASA began accepting applications. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

SMIC and M31 introduce differentiated IP solutions for storage controller applications
China-based IC foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) has announced the company will expand its IP portfolio with M31 Technology's ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...

10 Killer Media Applications Enabled by 'Virtual Reality' Headsets
... can do much more than 'virtual reality,' a technical term that is badly defined in most news reports. Here are 10 rapidly developing applications. ...

New patent application suggests Nintendo’s NX console is like nothing we’ve seen before
Nintendo has been close-mouthed about its plans for the Nintendo NX, but a recent patent filing may have tipped the company's hand. If so, then ...