Problem deploying application...HELP!

I created an application using PB 5.0. It uses MicroSoft's SQLServer for
its database. The application was packaged and installed on my
development NT using Install Builder. It runs fine in PB's development
environment and as a stand alone application on my NT. When I installed
the application on a different NT PC (one that did not have PB and the
SQLServer client), I had problems running the application. I received
the following error message upon launching the application:

Error Number 2
Error text  =  Null object reference
Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
Error Object/Control = <no class>
Script = <no rout>
Line in Script = 0

It is probably running on my development machine because of all the
stuff (PB, ODBC drivers, SQLServer client) that I have on there. I am
just not sure what needs to packaged, using Install Builder, to deploy
the application on other platforms. Currently, I include the
application's 32-bit executable and associated DLLs, INTERSOLV's 32-bit
SQLServer ODBC driver, PB's runtime DLL and registry entries for the
ODBC.ini and ODBCINST.ini files.

After several unsuccessful attempts at deploying the application on the
target machine, I went ahead and installed the SQLServer client and
INTERSOLV's ODBC pack of drivers on the target machine then manually
created a DSN for the application to database interface and I still get
the "Error Number 2" message when I attempt to run the application.

I am a new PB developer and this is my first time creating and deploying
a PB application, so if anyone has ANY suggestions concerning my
problem, PLEASE help me out.

Thanks in advance,
D.E. Jackson
djackson@ti.com

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:32:03 -0800, in
powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc "D.E. Jackson" <dayn@slip.net>
wrote:

>I created an application using PB 5.0. It uses MicroSoft's SQLServer for
>its database. The application was packaged and installed on my
>development NT using Install Builder. It runs fine in PB's development
>environment and as a stand alone application on my NT. When I installed
>the application on a different NT PC (one that did not have PB and the
>SQLServer client), I had problems running the application. I received
>the following error message upon launching the application:
>
>Error Number 2
>Error text  =  Null object reference
>Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
>Error Object/Control = <no class>
>Script = <no rout>
>Line in Script = 0
>
>It is probably running on my development machine because of all the
>stuff (PB, ODBC drivers, SQLServer client) that I have on there. I am
>just not sure what needs to packaged, using Install Builder, to deploy
>the application on other platforms. Currently, I include the
>application's 32-bit executable and associated DLLs, INTERSOLV's 32-bit
>SQLServer ODBC driver, PB's runtime DLL and registry entries for the
>ODBC.ini and ODBCINST.ini files.
>
>After several unsuccessful attempts at deploying the application on the
>target machine, I went ahead and installed the SQLServer client and
>INTERSOLV's ODBC pack of drivers on the target machine then manually
>created a DSN for the application to database interface and I still get
>the "Error Number 2" message when I attempt to run the application.
>
>I am a new PB developer and this is my first time creating and deploying
>a PB application, so if anyone has ANY suggestions concerning my
>problem, PLEASE help me out.

Doesn't look like it's a problem with ODBC or SQLServer .  The error
typically comes up when Powerbuilder is unable to locate one of the
objects in it's DLLs/PBDs.  The fact that it lists

Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
Error Object/Control = <no class>
Script = <no rout>

probably means that the error occurs before Powerbuilder attempts to
open any of the objects you have created.  Chances are that this may
be a bug with machine-code exe.  Try creating a p-code exe.  Here is
the approach that worked best for me:

1. Create a PBL with application object only.

2. Create the exe from this PBL and PBD from every other PBL.
his will guarantee that any dynamically referenced objects will not be
omitted.

3. Create a .pbr file with references to any .ico or .bmp files.

4. My PFC project library path is:

applicationexe.pbl
application***.pbl
pfe***.pbl
pfd***.pbl
pfc***.pbl

HTH,
--
Boris Gasin [TeamPS]
mailto:bgasin@advent2000.com

Have a heart,
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/JCredit/eds_stry.htm
0
bgasin
11/20/1997 6:28:36 PM
On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 18:28:36 GMT, bgasin@advent2000.com (Boris Gasin
[TeamPS]) wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:32:03 -0800, in
>powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc "D.E. Jackson" <dayn@slip.net>
>wrote:
>>Error Number 2
>>Error text  =  Null object reference
>>Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
>>Error Object/Control = <no class>
>>Script = <no rout>
>>Line in Script = 0

>probably means that the error occurs before Powerbuilder attempts to
>open any of the objects you have created.  Chances are that this may
>be a bug with machine-code exe.

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't this message produced when you create a
machine code executable and don't turn on the error context
information option?

Try recreating the EXE with this on and see what happens...

Andrew
--
Andrew Bate
andrew@astilla.demon.co.uk
> Error Number 2
> Error text  =  Null object reference
> Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
> Error Object/Control = <no class>
> Script = <no rout>
> Line in Script = 0

> I am a new PB developer and this is my first time creating and deploying
> a PB application, so if anyone has ANY suggestions concerning my
> problem, PLEASE help me out.

 Mr. Jackson,

You have probably solved your mystery by now...  but just fyi, here are some tips on creating an EXE and deploying...  Specifically #1, #3, #7 & #8 may assist you...

    http://www.pfccheatsheet.com/faq_exe_sb.htm#tips_creating_EXE

This includes some updates en route to the PFC Guide FAQ.

Andrew is corrrect about your error message not showing any info about where the error occurred because of not checking the "Error Context Information" box in your Project painter [#3].  Once you see what object and where the problem is, if it is still not clear why, the other items may help...  Nutshell:  Make sure all of your PBLs are checked for PBDs and make sure that you remembered to copy all of the app's PBDs/DLLs to the deployed machine.

By the way, please let me know what it was - in case it might make for another interesting FAQ addition!

Have fun,
~Sharon
--
Sharon Weinstrom Buntz      | mailto:sbuntz@texas.net
Cheat Sheet for PFC/PB Help | http://www.pfccheatsheet.com/

0
Sharon
11/29/1997 10:49:37 AM
Sharon Buntz wrote:

> > Error Number 2
> > Error text  =  Null object reference
> > Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
> > Error Object/Control = <no class>
> > Script = <no rout>
> > Line in Script = 0

> > I am a new PB developer and this is my first time creating and
> deploying
> > a PB application, so if anyone has ANY suggestions concerning my
> > problem, PLEASE help me out.
>
>  Mr. Jackson,
>
> You have probably solved your mystery by now...  but just fyi, here
> are some tips on creating an EXE and deploying...  Specifically #1,
> #3, #7 & #8 may assist you...
>
>     http://www.pfccheatsheet.com/faq_exe_sb.htm#tips_creating_EXE
>
> This includes some updates en route to the PFC Guide FAQ.
>
> Andrew is corrrect about your error message not showing any info about
> where the error occurred because of not checking the "Error Context
> Information" box in your Project painter [#3].  Once you see what
> object and where the problem is, if it is still not clear why, the
> other items may help...  Nutshell:  Make sure all of your PBLs are
> checked for PBDs and make sure that you remembered to copy all of the
> app's PBDs/DLLs to the deployed machine.
>
> By the way, please let me know what it was - in case it might make for
> another interesting FAQ addition!
>
> Have fun,
> ~Sharon
> --
> Sharon Weinstrom Buntz      | mailto:sbuntz@texas.net
> Cheat Sheet for PFC/PB Help | http://www.pfccheatsheet.com/

 Andrew Bate was right. I was getting the message:

Error Number 2
Error text  =  Null object reference
Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
Error Object/Control = <no class>
Script = <no rout>
Line in Script = 0

because I created the machine code executable without the error context
information option being selected. Once I recreated the executable with
the error context turned on and attempted to run it, I got the following
message:

"DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation."

In my application INI file, I have the parameter DBMS=ODBC set. I don't
know what else it needs. Like I mentioned in my previous message, the
executable runs fine on my development machine, but not on any other
machine I've attempted to deploy the application to. Can anyone tell me
what causes the above mentioned message to display? Is it looking for a
specific DLL or INI file or is it something to do with setting up the
DSN correctly? I don't know. I'm lost. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. I've been at this for over three weeks now, it might be
time for me to throw in the towel and bring in a consultant.

Thanks in advance

dayn@slip.net
djackson@ti.com

On Tue, 02 Dec 1997 23:56:03 -0800, in
wrote:

>DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation

Dayn,

Take a look at faxline doc: 47608
Resolving 'DBMS is not supported in your current installation'
http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocId/ID=47608

The most common reason for this error is that PBODB050.DLL is not in
the system path.  What was your OS again?  In Windows 95 and NT the
best place to set the path is the registry.
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\your_app.exe)

HTH,
--
Boris Gasin [TeamPS]
mailto:bgasin@advent2000.com

Have a heart,
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/JCredit/eds_stry.htm
0
bgasin
12/3/1997 3:38:13 PM
D.E. Jackson wrote:

> Sharon Buntz wrote:
>
> > > Error Number 2
> > > Error text  =  Null object reference
> > > Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
> > > Error Object/Control = <no class>
> > > Script = <no rout>
> > > Line in Script = 0

> > > I am a new PB developer and this is my first time creating and
> > deploying
> > > a PB application, so if anyone has ANY suggestions concerning my
> > > problem, PLEASE help me out.
> >
> >  Mr. Jackson,
> >
> > You have probably solved your mystery by now...  but just fyi, here
> > are some tips on creating an EXE and deploying...  Specifically #1,
> > #3, #7 & #8 may assist you...
> >
> >     http://www.pfccheatsheet.com/faq_exe_sb.htm#tips_creating_EXE
> >
> > This includes some updates en route to the PFC Guide FAQ.
> >
> > Andrew is corrrect about your error message not showing any info about
> > where the error occurred because of not checking the "Error Context
> > Information" box in your Project painter [#3].  Once you see what
> > object and where the problem is, if it is still not clear why, the
> > other items may help...  Nutshell:  Make sure all of your PBLs are
> > checked for PBDs and make sure that you remembered to copy all of the
> > app's PBDs/DLLs to the deployed machine.
> >
> > By the way, please let me know what it was - in case it might make for
> > another interesting FAQ addition!
> >
> > Have fun,
> > ~Sharon
> > --
> > Sharon Weinstrom Buntz      | mailto:sbuntz@texas.net
> > Cheat Sheet for PFC/PB Help | http://www.pfccheatsheet.com/
>
>  Andrew Bate was right. I was getting the message:
>
> Error Number 2
> Error text  =  Null object reference
> Window/Menu/Object = <no group>
> Error Object/Control = <no class>
> Script = <no rout>
> Line in Script = 0
>
> because I created the machine code executable without the error context
> information option being selected. Once I recreated the executable with
> the error context turned on and attempted to run it, I got the following
> message:
>
> "DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation."
>
> In my application INI file, I have the parameter DBMS=ODBC set. I don't
> know what else it needs. Like I mentioned in my previous message, the
> executable runs fine on my development machine, but not on any other
> machine I've attempted to deploy the application to. Can anyone tell me
> what causes the above mentioned message to display? Is it looking for a
> specific DLL or INI file or is it something to do with setting up the
> DSN correctly? I don't know. I'm lost. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated. I've been at this for over three weeks now, it might be
> time for me to throw in the towel and bring in a consultant.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> dayn@slip.net
> djackson@ti.com

Check if PBODB050.DLL is in the path.

John Zachariah
0
John

HELP PLEASE!, how to convert non PFC application to PFC application?
Your help is much needed. I have developed many windows and datawindows without using PFC, how do i make the pfc to be the ancestor of all my windows and datawindows? Syed. -- Syed Ibrahim Sapura Advanced Systems Sdn. Bhd, 18th Floor, Menara Tun Razak, Jalan Raja Laut, 50350 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Tel: (03) 295-3472, (03) 294-3000 Fax: (03) 294-6587, (03) 293-3154 You will have to export each object to a file. Then you can edit the file to change to ancestor and import it again. I suggest you create separate PBL's before you import because you don't want to overwri...

Help Please! Question regarding deployment of PFC-based applications
--------------E304C1650F2CFA05AB8B94E7 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit All of our PB apps are now 6.5 and are running on Windows 95 clients. We're in the process of developing a corporate framework where each development team will have their own set of PFE ..pbls to be used as their application layer. It was brought to my attention that each team should rename these PFE pbls to be application-specific, because if they don't, and multiple PB apps are running on the same client at the same time, objects from the wrong set of PFE ....

PowerBuilder 8.01 Build 8004 Deployment Problems (PFC-Based)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C1A54E.74C3B6A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How do I create a successful deployment? I am currently developing a new application and I walked through the = "Project Application Wizard" to create a new exe and dlls. The = deployment appeared to work (there were no errors generated) during the = rebuild, but after completing the exercise I noticed that the PFC pbls = did not deploy (i.e.. there were no dlls created). Than...

Deploying powerbuilder application as .NET web application
Hi when I deploy Client/Server PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any bug messages. Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed. Any information is appreciated. If this question has to do with PB 11 WebForm deploys, you want to post it in the sybase.public.powerbuilder.net.webform section. This section is for DataWindow.Net, a different product. On 29 Jul 2008 05:32:55 -0700, Raju Gol...

URGENT HELP REQUIRED!!! Converting NON PFC Application to PFC
We have some applications which were developed in PB 4 and has been upgraded to PB5 and migrated to PB6. We have custom made ancestor objects for windows as well as user objects for dws. we have upto 4 layers of objects. We wish to convert our application to take advantage of PFC. Can any one out there guide whether this would require re-writing the entire system ? We have lot of NVUOs which work as PFC services but with having different purpose. Our applications are very large and rewriting would amount to atleast 35 man months of work. One approach (and the only possible ...

Problems with deploying application
I have deployed my application on a Genotec server. The application worked fine on my computer but when i deployed it, it normally loads first page, and then when i try to log in i get this error message (i have changed the connection string in the web.config file and they are ) Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the co...

application deployment problem
We have been unable to successfully deploy a java application using Java2. The software was initially written using jdk1.1.8. Under Java2 the initial context will no longer connect to the Jaguar server. We get the following error: The delegate has not been set. We are currently deploying our software with the the following 'Other' class files: JagClient.zip, jconn2.jar, PJDeploy.jar, PJDeployPlugIn.jar. This seemed fine for 1.1.8 but does not work with jdk1.2.2. Any suggestions? -matt This is a known bug with the GA release. Please download EBF#2 Dave W...

Help deploy application!!!
I have write an application with Powerbuilder V.7.03 C5, and i have deploy this application over the client.. but... In my Notebook (128Mb RAM Pentium II 333) it run very fast (under win2000 + sql server 7.0) version PBL!!!!, the same application run version exe + PBD over an PC Desktop Pentium 650 128 Mb RAM same SQL engine, very very slow.... How i can improve the performances of my application? I have to change the DLL's deployment or so? I have to change any part of client software? or S.O. software..... This think is extremely urgent for me for application immediatly de...

Deploying application problem
I am trying to install my Powerbuilder .EXE onto another computer where I access our ORACLE database. What is the minimum ORACLE files that I need to load onto this computer? I've already included PB071050.DLL and a few of the Oracle DLL files such as ORA71WIN.DLL,... Scott Check your Oracle documentation. You need to install the SqlNet files on the target machine. Once you have those, you should be able to connect. HTH -- - Met vriendelijke groet, Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alingejj ...

Help!! Problem with PowerBuilder ?
I am using PB 7.03 - PFC, NT4 SP6 After updating to PB 7.03 I have experienced strange behaviour in the IDE. When coding objects very often the Extend Ancestor Script mark disables. Is this a known problem ? -- ------------------------------------------------------ mvh Svein Inge Carlsen Systemkonsulent IT Gilde Agro Fellesslakteri BA ------------------------------------------------------ ...

Deploying PowerBuilder application
Hi, I don't currently know anything about PowerBuilder but I was asked the question of whether you can build setup programs using Installshield. Does anyone have any information on this subject? Thanks, Ellie 1. Yes it's possible using InstallShield. 2. InnoSetup. We even downloaded a free version of another setup creator, we tested and evaluated it and it did the job for us ! http://www.innosetup.com/ HTH John On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:41:50 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Ellie Sullivan <easulli@ptdnospam.net> wrote: >I don't...

Problem with PowerBuilder.Application
Hello, I have the problem with PB OLE server (PowerBuilder.Application). I wrote in Delphi (client) this source kod : Var NOM : Variant; Begin NOM:= CreateOleObject ('PowerBuilder.Application.7'); NOM.LibraryList:= 'c:\mypblib.pbd'; // there is an exception "Library not registered" Can anybody help me and write , which of runtime libraries should be registered ? On my computer I have the installation of PowerBuilder 7.02 Enterprise, build 8046. Thank You very much Ing. Milan Dobias, ISS CZECH s.r.o. e-mail: mdobias@iss.cz ...

Application deployment problem
Hi, we recently uploaded our application to our new hosting account, and did the following:1- We created virtual directory to that application.2- In web.config file we set customererrors mode to on (see code below) and set the defaultRedirect to redirect to error.aspx page. 3- In Application_Error function that found Global.asax file we write code to handle errors and log it to a file(See code below)Now when we try to open the project from webbrowser it sucessfully redirected to error.aspx page but we do not get any error desscription  as supposed and there is no errors loged that suppo...

HELP
Hi guys, We purchased a server running under windows server 2003 R2 x64 edition last month. With the intention to have a clean server ( no IDEs installed), my existing applications built under ASP.Net 2003 as well as its deployment package was installed. Upon installation, there were no problem occured as it is been installed perfectly, but when running the page(aspx) error "page cannot be found" appears. I reviewed Inetpub directory and found all the pages there. The same application when installed in my old server running under windows 2003 has no problem at all. I immedia...

Web resources about - Problem deploying application...HELP! - sybase.powerbuilder.pfc

How to enable Potentially Unwanted Application protection in Windows 8 and Windows 10
... looking for ways to protect their systems, and Microsoft recently unveiled a new opt-in feature to protect against Potentially Unwanted Applications ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 24% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Surve Mortgage applications decreased 3.2 percent from one week earlier, according ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

PCB firm Unitech looks to automotive, IoT applications for 2016 growth
PCB maker Unitech Printed Circuit Board expects demand for any-layer designs for use in automotive electronics, wearables and other IoT-connected ...

The 3 Things That Can Happen With Your Early College Application
... Decision to wait as patiently as they can for the next two weeks as email inboxes and snail mail slots fill with the results of all those applications. ...