PFC ? Not PFC ?

I am about to start a very big application and would like to know whether
to use PFC or not.  Is it not a good idea if we are only using a very small
portion of the PFC functionalities?
What are the benefits of using PFC? What are the disadvantage of using it?
We already have development problem because it is too slow to bring up the
object and window list in the dubugger.
Please advise.
0
loser

loser ,

To Use or Not to Use?  I dont have an answer for you there but,  a solution to
your speed of the debug issue is the following.  We have found that keeping
copies of the PFC, PFD, and PFE pbls on our C: drives instead of a network drive
expidites the debugger as well as run time performance.   These should be pretty
stable and not be getting changed all that much after a project is under way.
We leave the development PBLs on the network.  If the infastructure person does
have a change to any of the PFC level things I do them to the network and  then
tell everyone to refresh their C: drives(after doing an incremental rebuild) and
then all is fine. You could even leave the PFD on the network(If you are using a
corporate layer approach) and just put PFC and PFE on the C: drives.  PFC and
PFE should NEVER change otherwise you defeat the whole purpose of PFC.

I am personally very glad that we chose to use PFC in our application.  I think
all the misc services like error handling and treeview are well worth the
addition size of the app.

Anyway if you need more info on how we implemented a more speedy PFC environment
shoot me a mail and I can  talk to you.

Hope this help.

MillerTime

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:04:30 -0400,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc
loser <loser@dart.com> wrote:
>I am about to start a very big application and would like to know whether
>to use PFC or not.  Is it not a good idea if we are only using a very small
>portion of the PFC functionalities?
>What are the benefits of using PFC? What are the disadvantage of using it?
>We already have development problem because it is too slow to bring up the
>object and window list in the dubugger.
>Please advise.

0
David
7/23/1998 4:03:23 PM
Loser,

There is a fix to the slow debugger in PB 6.0 (according to Steve Rowden).
You can download it from the Dallas/Ft. Worth PBUG site:

http://www.dfwpug.com.

Click on "Tech Library" and the fix is under March 1998.  The enhanced dll
is: pbscr60.dll.  It really does speed things up in the debugger.

HTH,

Sue Schwartz

loser <loser@dart.com> wrote in article
<01bdb622$4b494c00$64327f80@morticia>...
> I am about to start a very big application and would like to know whether
> to use PFC or not.  Is it not a good idea if we are only using a very
small
> portion of the PFC functionalities?
> What are the benefits of using PFC? What are the disadvantage of using
it?
> We already have development problem because it is too slow to bring up
the
> object and window list in the dubugger.
> Please advise.

0
Susan

I have been using PB for quite some time, actually before PFC was thought of
<g>, and would defintely recommend implementing PFC when ever you can
choose.

There is alot of canned functionality which you can simply extend or use as
is that would take several hundred (if not several thousand) additional
hours to write/debug or even conceptualize. For example, check out the
linkage service. In PB 6 this service works great (it had some problems in
PB 5, but 6 fixed those). Also check out nice functionality such as the new
drop down calender in PB 6 for dates, sorting services for datawindows,
multitable updates for datawindows etc. etc. Also, using PFC forces an
beginning framework on your developers. You'll be thankfull for that the
first time you need to make a global fix that affects a certain class (or
all classes) of objects in your application. Because you used a good
framework you can simply go into the ancestors and make one change instead
of figuring out that some things were inherited, some weren't (especially if
you have no plans of specifically designing your own framework before
starting) etc. etc.

I'll bet a couple of months creating stuff with PFC and you'll be quite
thankfull you're not wasting time reinventing the wheel.

The only service I would recommend avoiding is the security service. We've
implemented an architecture independent (dosen't need PFC) security system
that comes with full source code and no run-time licence costs (ie. you buy
it for the developers and it's yours). It's called Powerlock from
Serverlogic (www.serverlogic.com) and is really good. One function call in
an ancestor gives you complete group and user level security which is
administered through a security administration program which also comes with
full source code.

The main disadvantage to using PFC is the size of your distributables, but
hey, that's what $600 CD burners and $2 CDs are for <g>.

--
Regards,

Brad Gawne
Bralar Software Inc.
bgawne@ibm.net

loser wrote in message <01bdb622$4b494c00$64327f80@morticia>...
>I am about to start a very big application and would like to know whether
>to use PFC or not.  Is it not a good idea if we are only using a very small
>portion of the PFC functionalities?
>What are the benefits of using PFC? What are the disadvantage of using it?
>We already have development problem because it is too slow to bring up the
>object and window list in the dubugger.
>Please advise.

0
Brad
8/1/1998 4:20:56 AM
"Brad, Larissa & Ethan Gawne" <bralar@ibm.net> wrote:

>The only service I would recommend avoiding is the security service. We've
>implemented an architecture independent (dosen't need PFC) security system
>that comes with full source code and no run-time licence costs (ie. you buy
>it for the developers and it's yours). It's called Powerlock from
>Serverlogic (www.serverlogic.com) and is really good. One function call in
>an ancestor gives you complete group and user level security which is
>administered through a security administration program which also comes with
>full source code.

I'm curious as to the differences between PowerLock and the PFC security
service. From what you've described above they don't sound all that different in
their implementation. Could you elaborate on the advantages/disadvantages of
each so when students ask me about the security service I am better prepared.
---
Craig Wagner                   | E-mail:  cwagner@metacorp.com
CPD Professional               | Web:     http://www.metacorp.com
Certified Powersoft Instructor | Phone:   (503) 452-6343
Portland, OR USA               |

Keeper of the PowerBuilder FAQ
http://www.teleport.com/~wagnerc/powerbuilder_faq.html
0
cwagner

To PFC or Not To PFC
I'm returning to PB development after about 7 years in management and I'm trying to figure out how PFC fits into the current PB world. I used it with 6.5 and thought it was great (though sometimes a little complex, especially when debigging). It seems that Sybase doesn't push it anymore and I think I saw a post that said it hasn't changed since 8.0(?). I'll be developing an app for commercial sale and I think PB is perfect since I think I can get more done in a shorter period of time with PB than with anything else. I especially like that PB's future leads...

PFC 10
Hi, will there be an open source PFC-Extender like it was in PB8 or 9 ? Thomas You might want to add that as an issue on the open source PFC project to help remind us to ask Sybase for the source. http://pfc.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectIssues On 2 Sep 2004 00:56:54 -0700, Thomas wrote: >Hi, > >will there be an open source PFC-Extender like it was in PB8 >or 9 ? > >Thomas Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com TeamSybase blogs: http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs Vote for PocketBuilder in the Mobile Village awards http...

To PFC or not to PFC ... opinnions please ?
Hi ... .... im kind of newbie on PFC (just a couple of days reading about it) ... i have developed PB 4-5-7 apps before without problems ... but now im interested on PFC structure ... .... can anyone enlight me about when/where use PFc and when is really NOT convenient ? ... and, the performance of the entire application would be faster/better or slower/worst ? thanks ! -- Atentamente ... Pato Concha Jr. Casilla 3381 Concepci�n CHILE (SouthAmerica) I hadn't used it until PB 6.5.1 and appreciate how much coding it saves me. I haven't done any performa...

PBD server (to PFC or not to PFC?)
<HTML> What might the disadvantages of using PFC on the server side of a PBD app?&nbsp; I read a thread in which Dean Jones(Team PS)&nbsp; recommended that it not be used.&nbsp; I was just interested in what these reasons might be other than the bulk and a good portion of&nbsp; the PFC relating to the GUI side development. <BR>&nbsp; <P>Regards, <P>DTL</HTML> The PFC is a framework to build GUI client applications and is not intended for use as a DPB server framework. The needs of a DPB server such as load balancing, error log...

PFC
Anyone know if Sybase has, or has plans for, a PFC translation into PPB? Refer to other postings.... The PPB group has no plans. There is a light-weight foundation class being developed by a user. Check out: "PFC (Pocket PowerBuilder Foundation Class)" To download, please visit: http://pocketpb.codexchange.sybase.com HTH, Reed Shilts <Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:53:08 -0400, "Russ Fleming" <anon> wrote: >Anyone know if Sybase has, or has plans for, a PFC translation into PPB? > I saw this earlier wh...

PFC
Let me correct myself, if you have powerbuilder Enterprise. ...

PFC
In PFC I cant use Ctl + c , ctl + v , ctl + x for simple operations like copy, paste or cut. can anyone help... thanks This newsgroup is mainly for the discussion of the future of PowerBuilder. For this type of question, you should probably post in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:41:23 -0500, "Shalinder Verma" <shalinder@mobile123.com> wrote: > In PFC I cant use Ctl + c , ctl + v , ctl + x for simple operations like > copy, paste or cut. > > can anyone help... > thanks > > > > Che...

pfc
hi, everyone does PB8.0 has pfc? why i can not find pfc*.obl Hai, It's there, You need to search n installation folder, While installing you select PFC Bye Vasu <TG> wrote in message news:011189152814956400307BB085256B43.00307BC785256B43@webforums... > hi, everyone > does PB8.0 has pfc? why i can not find pfc*.obl Re-insert the installation disk and select 'Custom Installation'. Then select PowerBuilder and in the setup choose 'Change'. Out of the PB components, just tickt he box next to PFC and it should be installed under Sybase\Powe...

PFC
If i develop a pfc app. do i need to deply all the pfc libraries too... won't this make the app very large? -- Regards, John Kingan Yes, you'll need the PFC libraries..Unless you want to try to spend the time to take what you need and just copy objects to your app. From what I've read it here that solution can be quite tedious and sometimes painful. -- Evita R. Chapa Senior Systems Analyst II Command Technologies, Inc. "John Kingan" <John.Kingan@ukgateway.net> wrote in message news:DSy4VHKYCHA.251@forums.sybase.com... > If i develo...

PFC 5 vs PFC 6 vs PFC 5 migrated to 6
Dear PFC users, hopefully someone has an answer and will see fit to respond to my questions. PFC 6 - n_cst_appmanager blows up when I attempt to inherit from it or even modify n_cst_appmanager itself and call it back up to reedit. Depending upon what chapter and verse in the PFC Foundation Class library, one is to either use it directly (chapter 3) or inherit from it (the tutorial). And, yes, I've regenned the pbl's. Some warnings; some errors. PB 6.0 Enterprise AND PB 6.0 Professional, Win95 and pentiums with 32 megs ram. PFC 5 - works like a charm with PB 5.0 Ent...

Migration from PFC 8 to PFC 11
I am trying to migrate application from PB 8 to PB 11.2, facing problem in PFC 8 to PFC 11 I am getting below error, please let me know how to migrate PFC 8 to PFC 11 Please let me know what to do ? ---------------------------error ------------ ---------- Compiler: Errors (4:28:16 PM) pfcwnsrv.pbl(pfc_n_cst_winsrv_sheetmanager).6: Error C0001: Illegal data type: n_cst_winsrv_sheetmanagerattrib pfcwnsrv.pbl(pfc_n_cst_winsrv_statusbar).65: Error C0001: Illegal data type: n_cst_winsrv_statusbarattrib pfcwnsrv.pbl(pfc_n_cst_resize).38: Error C0...

converting PFC 5 to PFC 10
Hi, I am upgrading my app that using PFC5 to PFC10. Before upgrade, existing PFC pbls are pfcapsrv, pfcmain,pfcwnsrv,pfcdwsrv,pfdapsrv,pfdmain,pfdwnsrv,pfddwsrv. I downloaded the latest PFC10 from code exchange.I overwrite the old PFC5 pbls with PFC10 pbls, they are pfcapsrv,pfcmain,pfcutil,pfcdwsrv,pfcwnsrv and with extra extension pbls,like pfeapsrv,pfedwsrv,pfemain,pfeutil,pfewnsrv. But, when i did a full build,i get below errors,warnings. Can anyone help comments, what to do to get rid of these? Many thanks. ----------------------------------------------------------------- --...

adding PFC to non PFC libraries
I have developed my applications without PFC, and now in trouble with the security and other functionality, is it possible for me to add the PFC to my current libraries and make use of other services like Application security service? can a non-pfc application becomes a pfc application half way thru? Syed. --- Sapura Advanced Systems Sdn. Bhd, 18th Floor, Menara Tun Razak, Jalan Raja Laut, 50350 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Tel: (03) 295-3472, (03) 294-3000 Fax: (03) 294-6587, (03) 293-3154 On Thu, 07 May 1998 15:15:59 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Syed <sas@mas...

Upgrading PFC 6 to PFC 10
We use PFC, CORP & PFE in our application. The application was migrated from PB 6.5 to 8. We did not upgrade our PFC from 6.5 to PFC 8 but instead just migrated the PFC to PB 8. Now we are looking to migrate the app. from 8 to 10. So now instead of just migrating PFC code from 8 to 10 we want to actually upgrade the PFC 8(that was just migrated to 8 & NOT upgraded) to PFC 10. Can anyone tell or point to a documnet that tells of how to upgrade a PFC to PFC 10 & ultimatley upgrade the entire application to 10. I was able to just migrate the whole application (including the ...

Web resources about - PFC ? Not PFC ? - sybase.powerbuilder.pfc

PFC CSKA Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PFC Central Sport Club of the Army, Moscow ( Russian : Профессиональный футбольный клуб – ЦСКА ) is a Russian professional football club. It ...

PFC Auctions « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers ...
Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts

PFC Manning to be Court-Martial’ed
... military justice story of, well, ever, the Commanding General of the Military District of Washington has referred all charges against PFC Bradley ...

PFC Most Valuable Energy Companies - Business Insider
Exxon isn't the only major player. Energy consulting firm PFC has released its annual ranking of the world's most valuable energy companies. ...

Pfc. Logan Burke « CBS New York
New York Radio.com CBS Local Sports CBS Sports Radio Tailgate Fan Atlanta Baltimore Boston Chicago Cleveland Connecticut Dallas Denver Detroit ...

Counselor: Pfc. Manning's past showed self-harm risk
Army private charged with passing U.S. secrets of WikiLeaks had a history of suicidal thoughts and aloof behavior, testifies ex-Quantico counselor ...

Fort Hood massacre: Pfc. Francheska Velez, 21, mourned at Chicago funeral
Army Pfc. Francheska Velez's death has had a ripple effect in Chicago's West Humboldt Park neighborhood.In the two weeks since the 21-year-old ...

Judge says she will announce Army Pfc. Bradley Manning's sentence at 10 a.m. EDT Wednesday
FORT MEADE, Md. (AP) &acirc;�� Judge says she will announce Army Pfc. Bradley Manning's sentence at 10 a.m. EDT Wednesday.

Pfc. Manning admits leaking classified material that 'upset' him to WikiLeaks
Pfc. Bradley Manning pleaded guilty Thursday to 10 charges against him in the WikiLeaks case, saying he leaked data that "upset" him.

No Justice, No Peace: Remembering Pfc. LaVena Johnson
... in Balad, Iraq in July, 2005. The United States Army ruled her death as a suicide resulting from a self-inflicted M-16 rifle shot wound. Pfc. ...