Migrating Database in PB appn

Greetings to the powerbuilder community!

Well I am relatively new to PowerBuilder and we are trying
to establish a PoC on migrating a large Powerbuilder
Application with a Sybase database to an Oracle Database.
Specifically, I am looking for more info on the migration of
the embedded SQL's within the PB codes.

Is there an established methodology for the same?

Currenlt , I am accomplishing the same by extracting the PBL
codes into .srd and .srw files and then running tools to
convert the embedded SQL's in them. Could anyone elaborate
on the presence/absence of embedded SQL's in these file
types? And regarding the migration, does Sybase provide any
assistance?

Looking forward to exciting replies from a proactive
community!

P.S: Kudos to the enthusiasm with which you guys keep PB
going and improving all the time!
0
kseetharam

Well, it's hard to follow up a message like that with bad news, but this
probably isn't the place you wanted to post your question. Not only is
sybase.public.powerbuilder.pfc intended for questions about the
PowerBuilder Foundation Class library, but recent events have probably
led most to believe this forum is closed down (Sybase is closing down
less used forums to concentrate traffic), so probably not a lot will see
your message. The place you probably want is
sybase.public.powerbuilder.general.

Meantime, I'll take a crack.

There's no standard practice for what your doing. As far as support from
Sybase goes, if you have a problem in a supported version of
PowerBuilder, they'll take your tech support call (a paid service), but
they won't be rewriting any SQL for you.

One thing you need to watch is that you're not just looking for embedded
SQL; there's SQL in DataWindows. (Don't make the mistake I did starting
PB by underestimating the role and value of the DataWindow; it gave me
things like logical record locking and SQL injection attack prevention,
among many other things, for free before I even knew what they were.)
There are two ways SQL can be stored in DataWindows: graphics mode and
syntax mode. SQL stored in graphics mode will be converted to a new
syntax when they are simply used with a new database driver, provided no
DBMS-specific functions have been used. Note that SQL stored in syntax
mode does its own mangling of syntax, which I suspect will defeat your
export/import plans, without some research and some trial and error.

For the rest of it, I'm going to introduce you to my tool, PBL Peeper.
The latest version can be found not linked into my web site, but at
http://www.techno-kitten.com/cambridge/setup.exe. (I'm having web site
issues, among many other issues. <g>) In it, I'm going to point you to
the docs (over 100 pages) to help you find things that might help the
effort:

- List / Objects / View / Show ... some option that shows DataWindow SQL
storage mode--I'm on the train as I write, so I'll let you find which
one
- Embedded SQL Report (tells you which objects/scripts have embedded
SQL)
- DW SQL Report
- ignore the Verify SQL Report (it relies on a part of PB that's broke),
but the Sync DW Datasets processor will, as a byproduct, will report
"invalid SQL" from DataWindows when you point it at your new database
(in your case, incompatible SQL found in DataWindows, which if it's a
well written PB app, will Abe the VAST majority of your app's SQL)

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten

--
Sent from a device that hobbles my fingers and numbs my brain. Please
excuse any spelling errors, grammatical errors or brevity.

Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0?
Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0? In present project current code hierarchy is like: PB 8 code � PFC 8 � own customize PFC 8 ( convert all object like n_cst_dataawareattrib --ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib)� own customize PFE 8 ( but no change in basic object names) Client customizes all object of PFC 8 like this "ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib" and in PFE object are like "n_cst_dataawareattrib". What will be best approach to migrate it? PB 8 code (migrate to PB 11) � PFC 8 (replace with PFC 11) � Own cust...

Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0?
Need guidance for correct way to migrate PB/PFC 8 to PB/PFC 11.0? In present project current code hierarchy is like: PB 8 code � PFC 8 � own customize PFC 8 ( convert all object like n_cst_dataawareattrib --ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib)� own customize PFE 8 ( but no change in basic object names) Client customizes all object of PFC 8 like this "ep_n_cst_dataawareattrib" and in PFE object are like "n_cst_dataawareattrib". What will be best approach to migrate it? PB 8 code (migrate to PB 11) � PFC 8 (replace with PFC 11) � Own customi...

Migrate PB 6.5.1, PFC and Cornerstone 6.5 to Powerbuilder 7.
Hello! I am now working with PB 6.5.1, PFC 6.5 and Cornerstone 6.5. What is best way to go: Migrate whole application including PFC*.PBL 6.5 to 7 or replace PFC*.PBL from 6.5 with PFC*.PBL 7.0 or ...? Any documents, links or readings about how to eliminate Cornerstone and only use PFC? Thank you for your help /Gunnar Nyberg Ericsson Sweden ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Why would you want to do that? You do have the source to Cornerstone, right? Or did they distribute their framework only as PBDs? ...

Error in PFC while migrating from PB 5 to PB 11.5
Hello: I've recently migrated our software from PB 5 to PB 11.5. While migrating it shows an error in of_prepprint of object pfc_n_cst_dwsrv_report -- "Duplicate variable: ls_objects" Please help me to resolve this issue.. Thanks Robin AFAIK you only need the declaration of ls_objects as an array. String ls_Objects[] Delete the other non-array declaration and/or compare the function with the one at codeplex. http://pfc.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/55448#301172 hth Arnd On 21 Sep 2010 12:42:31 -0700, Robin wrote: >Hell...

PB 6.5 to PB 8.0 (PFC Migration)
Recently we got PB 8.0 upgrade version and we are planning to move from our large scale PB 6.5 code to PB 8.0. (1) I have migrated part of the code and ran it and works without any problem. (2) Now I need to plan to move our PFC of PB 6.5 to PB 8.0. I have searched sybase site and couldn't able to find anywhere a guide like we had for PB 5.0 to PB 6.5 migration guide. If you have come across any, please send me the url. Thanks and appreciate ur help on this. Check the release notes in the Program Files/Sybase/Powerbuilder X.0/PFC/readmeX0.txt file (where X is the PB major v...

PB 5.0.2 to PB 8
I recently found myself in charge of an application built in Powerbuilder 5.0.2 using the PFC. Nobody seems to have the installation disks for PB 5.0.2 available anymore, so I was looking at Powerbuilder 8. I have never used PB 8 nor have I used PFC in any version. My 2 questions are 1) can and go from PB 5.0.2 to PB 8 and 2) how do you migrate using the PFC?? Thanks. Wallace Henry whenry@newcorp.com Wallace, if your PFC has not got 'customized' in any way, you might be able just to replace the old libraries with the new ones from PB 8. Each new version was ac...

MIGRATION FROM PB 6.5 TO PB 7 (PFC BASED)
There is No ADK Toolkit along with PB7. How Do I Migrate the existing PFC based PowerBuilder 6.5 Application to PB 7.0. Please give me the procedures. Thank You Kaushik Chand P.S.D. Migrating has nothing to do with the ADK. As with all other versions, make a backup of your current PBL's. I prefer to copy my libraries to a new location where I will perform my migration. Choose the PB6 application from within PB7. You will be prompted to migrate the applicaiotn. Set up the library list to include all your PBL's. Start the migration. NOTE: If you use PFC straight up (no cor...

Migrating to PB 8.0 from PB 6.5 and using PFC
Hello, My company is considering moving to PB 8.0 very soon. We have already spoken with a sales rep but I would like clarification on one thing. At least two of our apps make use of PFC with regular PB 6.5 code. When we upgrade to PB 8.0 do we need to purchase an upgrade for our PFC code as well or is that already bundled with the PB 8.0 upgrade. Thanks, Teresa Brinkley 8.0 ships with the PFC libraries - but that's part of the "custom" install. During the install process, you have to select "Custom", and check ON the PFC checkbox. -- Paul Hora...

pfc and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0
I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0. This application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm. As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application. I have heard good things about the PFC. From I understand this is the new preferred way to develop apps. I have only heard about the PFC, and have not coded in it. I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes. Is it worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can...

Preview the PFC Objects after migration from PB 6.5 to PB 8.
After migrating to ver8.0, some of the screens in my Application are totally blank,and some are partially blank. I did some research and found that it's probably due to some problem with the "DW Linkage Service". Looks like DW Linkage doesn't work in PB 8.0. Can anyone suggest some solutions that I may try. After migrating the existing Application from PB6.5 to PB8, when I try to Preview the PFC Objects, it causes Application Execution Error:R0002. For example when I try to preview the PFC Windows: w_sheet, w_response, w_popup, w_master, w_main, w_fram...

PFC and migration from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0
I am presently migrating an application from PB 4.0.7 to PB 6.0. This application was originally developed in PB 3.0 by another consulting firm. As you may expect they used their own framework to create this application. I have heard good things about the PFC. From I understand this is the new preferred way to develop apps. I have only heard about the PFC, and have not coded in it. I am not that far in the present migration and I have several months to finish this migration as well as make any desired coding changes. Is it worth it to intregrate the PFC into this migration? Can...

migration of pfc/pb
Currently, I have a set of security admin and scanner(exe) build from pb10. And now, my new application is written using pb11.1 So, i migrate the secuirty admin/scanner into pb11.1 But,it complain for missing pfcold.pbl. I found the following in the Sybase PowerBuilder Foundation Class Library User=92s Guide: Obsolete objects The PFCOLD.PBL library contains obsolete objects. If you have an existing PFC application, you may need to add this library to your application target library list. I=92ve search my PC for a copy of that file, but I couldn=92t find one. Questions: 1...

Migration from PB 6.5 to PB 8.0.3 with Oracle as Database
We experience some problems while migrating from PB 6.5 to PB 8.0.3 . The database is Oracle 8.1. After the migration , some reports are not working properly. Can any one suggest the problems while migration to PB 8 and solutions for the same. Venugopal Did you move from the O73 to the O84 client layer? If so, you may be experiencing problems with database columns that are different sizes than what the datawindow expects (i.e., larger). When using the O73 driver, the data was just truncated without any notice to the end-user. With O84, the retrieve will stop at the offendi...

Migrating from PB 7.0 to PB 10.2.1 PFC layout issue
Hi All I will be migrating from PB 7.0 to PB 10.2.1 My question is about the new layout of 10.2.1 and how it handles the PFC Old layout EX. From with in PB7 the developer see's these folders Company Apps - folder ---> App1 - folder ---> A1.pbl ---> B1.pbl ---> C1.pbl ---> App2 - folder ---> A2.pbl ---> B2.pbl ---> C2.pbl ---> AppPFC - folder ---> Apfc.pbl ---> Bpfc.pbl ---> Cpfc.pbl ---> ...

Web resources about - Migrating Database in PB appn - sybase.powerbuilder.pfc

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...