Future of Powerbuilder

Hi,

Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
The Future of Powerbuilder?
Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!

Bala

ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of ....

I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to
ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is
dead movement. Guess they were wrong there...

The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year
subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it
away until the subscription ran out. The quotes in unrelated articles often came
from the same CIOs, over and over. The articles have no technical depth or
understanding. If there's a 'doom and gloom' viewpoint to be taken,
ComputerWorld takes it. I've been an IS professional for about 5 years. None of
what I read in there represented the IS industry I knew.

So, first, ComputerWorld is a highly dubious source. Second, you would probably
have as much chance of predicting computer trends by flipping coins as you would
by observing the industry. Every new trend is a big surprise (a paradigm
change), and the demise of what was once the rage is a shocking disappointment.

Those of us in the thick of it have to accept this and move on. Right now, I do
PowerBuilder and my skills are in high demand. Will I be doing PowerBuilder in 5
years? Flip a coin. Will my fundamental programming skills still be in demand?
Absolutely.

Well, that's my 2 cents...

On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 09:15:31 -0400,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc
Bala <sxnair@aol.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
>The Future of Powerbuilder?
>Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!
>
>Thanks

Stephanie Giovannini
0
Stephanie
10/7/1999 7:36:32 PM
If you read the article, you actually will NOT see anything in it suggesting
that it's time to "jump out of the ship" :-))
The poster who started the thread is just a shameless flame baiter...

--
pbm_thisusuallydoesnothelp:-))
Philip Salgannik
Stephanie Giovannini <stephanieg@amdocs.com> wrote in message
> ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of ....

> ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple
is
> dead movement. Guess they were wrong there...
>
> The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year
> subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I
threw it
> away until the subscription ran out. The quotes in unrelated articles
often came
> from the same CIOs, over and over. The articles have no technical depth or
> understanding. If there's a 'doom and gloom' viewpoint to be taken,
> ComputerWorld takes it. I've been an IS professional for about 5 years.
None of
> what I read in there represented the IS industry I knew.
>
> So, first, ComputerWorld is a highly dubious source. Second, you would
probably
> have as much chance of predicting computer trends by flipping coins as you
would
> by observing the industry. Every new trend is a big surprise (a paradigm
> change), and the demise of what was once the rage is a shocking
disappointment.

> Those of us in the thick of it have to accept this and move on. Right now,
I do
> PowerBuilder and my skills are in high demand. Will I be doing
PowerBuilder in 5
> years? Flip a coin. Will my fundamental programming skills still be in
demand?
> Absolutely.
>
> Well, that's my 2 cents...
>

> On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 09:15:31 -0400,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc
> Bala <sxnair@aol.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
> >The Future of Powerbuilder?
> >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Stephanie Giovannini

0
Philip
10/7/1999 8:04:35 PM
On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 09:15:31 -0400, in
powersoft.public.powerbuilder.pfc "Bala" <sxnair@aol.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
>The Future of Powerbuilder?
>Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!

Just read the article and it doesn't seem to be that negative to me.
The article offers opinions from the Client / Server development
perspective.  It does not mention EAServer.  The demand for typical 2
tier Client / Server PB projects is decreasing because the number of
Client/Server projects is on the decline.

EAServer is the answer to the future of PB.  Anyone with PB background
should jump at the chance to use EAServer.  It is an opportunity to
gain valuable skills of distributed, CORBA, Multi-Tier, component
based  web applications.  You can learn the issues involved in web
development, while utilizing your existing skills.

Don't jump the ship, get a bigger, kick-*ss engine!

 Boris Gasin [TeamSybase]
 mailto:bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com
    ___
  ____   _
 _____    _
  ____   _
    ___

 Dynamic Technology Group, Inc.
 http://www.dynamictechgroup.com/
0
NOSPAM_bgasin
10/7/1999 8:11:37 PM
Where did you read that? What part of the article led you to this
conclusion? I'm curious because being slow and dim-witted, I did not pick
up on that part of the article...

Looking forward to enlightenment,

Bill

Bala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
> The Future of Powerbuilder?
> Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!
>
> Thank

0
Bill
10/7/1999 9:19:50 PM
Future of COBOL, PROGRESS, APPLE, BASIC(Yes), C(mmm I remember being told C
is for Uni's),
JAVA, Windows, AS/400, SYBASE, MICROSOFT etc....

Get the message.
How else are they meant to fill the white space?

Oh by the way I wonder how many PB sites there are and how much effort
would be required to re0write them never mind the cost already invested!
We are going SAP but I still need PB cause ABAP can;t do everything that PB
CAN!!!

Bala <sxnair@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
> The Future of Powerbuilder?
> Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!
>
> Thanks

0
Ken
10/8/1999 8:32:37 PM
In article <YJM7HYME$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>, sxnair@aol.com says...
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
> The Future of Powerbuilder?
> Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!
>
> Thanks

Where are you going?<g>

Who was the article written by? Do you truely believe the things they
mentioned? I wouldn't jump ship based on someone's comments - you are
probably closer to the market.

IMHO - The new versions are cool and will be around for awhile.

Mark
TeamSybase

--

Mark Pfeifer            Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
                           Emerging Technology Solutions

0
see_msg
10/10/1999 11:48:31 PM
I'm not jumping anywhere... they predicted over 10 years ago that FoxPro
was dead and that was before Micro$oft bought them and released another
5 versions.  I think PB has many years of life in it (if they fix the
memory leaks in PB7  :-)

Bala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
> The Future of Powerbuilder?
> Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!
>
> Thanks
0
Jim

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

The future of powerbuilder #3
Hi, all I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what is the future of PowerBuilder? Thanks "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote: > I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems > powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what > is the future of PowerBuilder? http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html Dmitri. Dmitri, do You like the ...

JAVA PowerBuilder future
Hi: For Pb 6.0 users How is java been utilized by the new version and do you think a good knowledge in Java will be helpful Thank you ...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

Web resources about - Future of Powerbuilder - sybase.powerbuilder.pfc

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles