Converting existing non-PFC applications to PFC.

We have some applications which were developed in PB 4 and has been upgraded
to PB5 and migrated to PB6.

We have custom made ancestor objects for windows as well as user objects for
dws. we have upto 4 layers of objects.

We wish to convert our application to take advantage of PFC.

Can any one out there guide whether this would reuqire re-writting the
entire system ?

We have lot of NVUOs which work as PFC services but with having different
purpose. Our applications are very large and rewritting would amount to
atleast 35 man months of work.

One approach (and the only possible approach due to deadlines) we have
thought of is to rewrite the very first layer of objects by inhertting them
from appropriate PFE object. These new objects will have all the user
functions, event codes and instance variables as they exist now.

By recreating the top most ancestor objects from PFC, all our windows & dws
will become descendants of w_sheet/ u_dw, then we can enable the necessary
services at appropriate levels and move the existing code from non pfc
events to pfc events and make necessary code changes as required for PFC.

By doing so we will (hopefully) save lot of time.

Could anybody please help me ? Am I going on right path ? Will it work ? or
will there be any problem in doing so ?

Thanks

Dhiren Mehta

0
Dhiren

To take this approach, you'd have to create a lot of your own user
events and functions on the PFE layered windows, and redirect the
processing to PFC ones which hopefully correspond.

This could get very complicated very quickly.

Personally, I'd just migrate up what you've got. You can take advantage
of some of the basic PFC window / datawindow services from within your
framework. There is a back issue of PBDJ that supplies the "how to".

Dhiren Mehta wrote:

> We have some applications which were developed in PB 4 and has been upgraded
> to PB5 and migrated to PB6.
>
> We have custom made ancestor objects for windows as well as user objects for
> dws. we have upto 4 layers of objects.
>
> We wish to convert our application to take advantage of PFC.
>
> Can any one out there guide whether this would reuqire re-writting the
> entire system ?
>
> We have lot of NVUOs which work as PFC services but with having different
> purpose. Our applications are very large and rewritting would amount to
> atleast 35 man months of work.
>
> One approach (and the only possible approach due to deadlines) we have
> thought of is to rewrite the very first layer of objects by inhertting them
> from appropriate PFE object. These new objects will have all the user
> functions, event codes and instance variables as they exist now.
>
> By recreating the top most ancestor objects from PFC, all our windows & dws
> will become descendants of w_sheet/ u_dw, then we can enable the necessary
> services at appropriate levels and move the existing code from non pfc
> events to pfc events and make necessary code changes as required for PFC.
>
> By doing so we will (hopefully) save lot of time.
>
> Could anybody please help me ? Am I going on right path ? Will it work ? or
> will there be any problem in doing so ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dhiren Mehta
0