WPF application and database connections

Hi,
How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in general).
Can an WPF application running on a client Machine connect
to a database that running in the same environment as the
IIS server.

Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am asking
how to make the WPF application connect to a SQLANywhere
database remotely?
0
Sri
1/14/2011 7:02:40 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.net 284 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and you
will see it should connect the same way as classic.

> Hi,
> How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in
> general). Can an WPF application running on a client
> Machine connect to a database that running in the same
> environment as the IIS server.
>
> Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am asking
> how to make the WPF application connect to a SQLANywhere
> database remotely?
0
Peter
1/14/2011 7:49:34 PM
Peter,
So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And run
the application from my laptop at home, would it connect to
the database that is located on the database server, that's
located in the same network environment as the IIS server?
Thanks
Sri
> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and you
> will see it should connect the same way as classic.
>
> > Hi,
> > How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in
> > general). Can an WPF application running on a client
> > Machine connect to a database that running in the same
> > environment as the IIS server.
> >
> > Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am
> > asking how to make the WPF application connect to a
> > SQLANywhere database remotely?
0
Sri
1/14/2011 8:24:09 PM
On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
> Peter,
> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And run
> the application from my laptop at home, would it connect to
> the database that is located on the database server, that's
> located in the same network environment as the IIS server?
> Thanks
> Sri
>> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and you
>> will see it should connect the same way as classic.
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in
>>> general). Can an WPF application running on a client
>>> Machine connect to a database that running in the same
>>> environment as the IIS server.
>>>
>>> Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am
>>> asking how to make the WPF application connect to a
>>> SQLANywhere database remotely?

Sri

You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture, right?

I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?

--
Yakov [TeamSybase]
eLearnIT LLC

WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
> > Peter,
> > So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
> > run the application from my laptop at home, would it
> > connect to the database that is located on the database
> > server, that's located in the same network environment
> > as the IIS server? Thanks
> > Sri
> >> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and
> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

> Sri
>
> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
> right?
>
> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>
> --
> Yakov [TeamSybase]
> eLearnIT LLC
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com
0
sri
1/14/2011 8:58:52 PM
Sri

I believe what you are referring to is SmartClient deploy.  This is a
desktop synchronization that you configure on the project object for the
target.  One of the options synchronization options is a centralized
website.
It is not a browser client.

Currently your only option use Classic 12.1 and .NET WebForm or Appeon

On 1/14/2011 3:58 PM, sri wrote:
> I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
> the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
> from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
> where the IIS part comes from?
>
> WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
>> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
>>> run the application from my laptop at home, would it
>>> connect to the database that is located on the database
>>> server, that's located in the same network environment
>>> as the IIS server? Thanks
>>> Sri
>> you>>  will see it should connect the same way as classic.

>> Sri
>>
>> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
>> right?
>>
>> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>>
>> --
>> Yakov [TeamSybase]
>> eLearnIT LLC
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
>> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
>> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com

0
Yakov
1/14/2011 9:32:36 PM
Hi Sri;

  No, WPF is just another ``fat native client`` technology that supersedes
the EXE`s that you got from PB classic as either Win32 or Winform deployment
(compilation).

Making the application a thin client is basically n-tier - which means that
you would separate and then deploy your business logic (in NVUO`s) to an
application server. Then call the NVUO as a remote procedure call (SOAP,
RPC, IIOP, Web Service, etc).

  A zero client foot print would be a web based application. Right now only
Webform deployments are supported for that and only in PB classic (v11.0
through 12.1). PB.Net does not support any web deployment. In the future,
Sybase has indicated that they are looking for web deployment using
Silverlight - however, that will not be until PB 15 at the earliest (AFAIK).

HTH

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

"sri" wrote in message news:4d30b90c.406f.1681692777@sybase.com...

I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
where the IIS part comes from?

WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
> > Peter,
> > So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
> > run the application from my laptop at home, would it
> > connect to the database that is located on the database
> > server, that's located in the same network environment
> > as the IIS server? Thanks
> > Sri
> >> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and
> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

> Sri
>
> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
> right?
>
> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>
> --
> Yakov [TeamSybase]
> eLearnIT LLC
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com

0
Chris
1/14/2011 9:34:45 PM
In order for a WPF app to be deployed through XBAP, the assemblies have to
be targetted for platform "any".  Currently PB.Net targets them for "x86".
I tinkered with it for a while, but was never really able to get around
that issue.

<sri> wrote:
> I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
> the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
> from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
> where the IIS part comes from?
>
> WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
>> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
>>> run the application from my laptop at home, would it
>>> connect to the database that is located on the database
>>> server, that's located in the same network environment
>>> as the IIS server? Thanks
>>> Sri
>> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

>> Sri
>>
>> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
>> right?
>>
>> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>>
>> --
>> Yakov [TeamSybase]
>> eLearnIT LLC
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
>> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
>> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com
0
Bruce
1/14/2011 10:21:16 PM
With XBAP, which the OP referred to, you can run WPF applications
essentially thin client in the browser.  The only requirement for the
client is the .net framework.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAML_Browser_Applications

However, as I noted in my own response to the OP, the assemblies that PB
uses aren't targetted for the "any" platform target, which is a requirement
for XBAP deployment.

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote:
> Hi Sri;
>
>  No, WPF is just another ``fat native client`` technology that supersedes
> the EXE`s that you got from PB classic as either Win32 or Winform deployment (compilation).
>
> Making the application a thin client is basically n-tier - which means
> that you would separate and then deploy your business logic (in NVUO`s)
> to an application server. Then call the NVUO as a remote procedure call
> (SOAP, RPC, IIOP, Web Service, etc).
>
>  A zero client foot print would be a web based application. Right now
> only Webform deployments are supported for that and only in PB classic
> (v11.0 through 12.1). PB.Net does not support any web deployment. In the
> future, Sybase has indicated that they are looking for web deployment
> using Silverlight - however, that will not be until PB 15 at the earliest (AFAIK).
>
> HTH
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
> "sri" wrote in message news:4d30b90c.406f.1681692777@sybase.com...
>
> I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
> the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
> from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
> where the IIS part comes from?
>
> WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
>> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
>>> run the application from my laptop at home, would it
>>> connect to the database that is located on the database
>>> server, that's located in the same network environment
>>> as the IIS server? Thanks
>>> Sri
>> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

>> Sri
>>
>> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
>> right?
>>
>> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>>
>> --
>> Yakov [TeamSybase]
>> eLearnIT LLC
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
>> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
>> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com
0
Bruce
1/14/2011 10:21:16 PM
Actually, I'm going to contradict myself.  It looks like the issue might have
been that I was testing it on 64 bit Windows 7.  It looks like you might be able
to create an XBAP deploy with x86 targetted assemblies.  You won't be able to
use it on a 64 bit system though, which is a rather significant limitation:

WPF XAML Browser Applications (XBAPs) that target x86 will not execute on
Windows 7 64-bit installations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974396

On 14 Jan 2011 14:21:16 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.net
Bruce Armstrong <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com> wrote:
>In order for a WPF app to be deployed through XBAP, the assemblies have to
>be targetted for platform "any".  Currently PB.Net targets them for "x86".
>I tinkered with it for a while, but was never really able to get around
>that issue.
>
><sri> wrote:
>> I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
>> the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
>> from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
>> where the IIS part comes from?
>>
>> WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
>>> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

>>> Sri
>>>
>>> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
>>> right?
>>>
>>> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Yakov [TeamSybase]
>>> eLearnIT LLC
>>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
>>> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
>>> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com
0
Bruce

Connecting to database from .NET application
Hia, When connecting a .NET application to a db I understand that this can be achieved using a variety of means but I am a little 'blurred' as to these means: Q. I understand the difference between ODBC and OLE DB but when using .NET classes to access SQL Server which of these is .NET using ? Is it using ADO.NET which has underlying OLE DB access ? Q. I know how to create an ODBC connection in Admin Tools section of control panel but where would I add an OLE DB connection ? Q. Are there other data access methods other than ODBC and OLE DB used in modern day application integration with d...

How to deploy .Net Windows/Web applications
Hello can anyone please advise me guide me how to deploy .Net Windows/Web applications. I know how to do basic deployment but i want to know more about database connection string, Support files specific to application.   Please help--------ThanksSK Hi there,Database connections will not change too much, you will only need to change the Uid,password, server and sometimes database name.you can also create a setup file which will setup all the things. check out these:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818016 http://15seconds.com/issue/041229.htm http://www.microsoft.com/tec...

Database connection in WPF browser application
 I am creating a XBAP application and  I came to know that u can't connect directly to SQL server database (any database)  . So can anyone tell me how to manipulate database in XBAP app.???One alternative to this is to use webservice(I came to kow this from Intenet searching), but I don't know how to use it?? can anyone tell me??Please .... Its urgent.... hi have u got the solution for this proble... please let me know... hey i got ii..chk this  http://danielisaacs.com/2007/06/06/bug-request-for-the-permission-of-type-systemdatasqlclientsqlclientpermission-s...

connecting powerbuilder application to internet database
Dear guys! I want to connect my powerbuilder application to an internet database, that means i need to place the database ( MS Access, MySql, or Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere, just the database alone ) into our web space, or i want to access the website providers database via powerbuilder application from my internet connected PC. how can i establish the connection and how can i implement the software.. please help! thanks and regards, danny dannj@hotmail.com tharakans@hotmail.com ...

database connection and ASP.Net Web Application
Hi I dry do ASP.Net Web Application with database connection. If I do Windows Application it is OK.(Access). Select query is OK. In ASp.Net Application Dataset don`t work when I do Databindings. I can see tables, but I can´t select tables. It works in Windows Application but not in In ASp.Net Application. How I must do databindings?? I have VisualStudio.NET 2003 hi sirkkis, can you explain with more details? What Exception you get? Regards Richard BeanAdd boolean database searching to your web site Hi Richard I try explain :-). I don´t ...

connect to remore oracle database from asp.net application
I have visual stuido.net, oracle client 9.i on my machine. I am just trying to write an asp.net application to access data from remore oracle database. Could somebody direct me to right direction or any sample application regarding same. I would apprciate your help hi i'm new and i had the same question, try to follow the tutorial step bye step "Procédure pas à pas : utilisation d'un contrôle Web DataGrid pour lire et écrire des données" . you will find it at "http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/fre/default.asp?url=/library/fre/vbcon/html/vbwlkwa...

ASP.NET Web application, problem connecting to database
Hi, I have a problem connecting to database using windows authorization. this is sample codeSqlConnection oSQLConn = new SqlConnection();oSQLConn.ConnectionString="integrated security=SSPI;Server=SHAREPOINT\\EPM;Database=STS_sharepoint_1;Trusted_Connection=true;";oSQLConn.Open(); on Windows Aplication it work good but on ASP.NET Web application I got an Server Error - Login failed for user *****************is it problem with IIS configuration??? Make sure there is a user account for <machinename>/ASPNET and also the account has permissio...

Connection to SQL 2000 database with .Net 1 Application
Hi there,   Has anyone ever encountered problems making .Net applications connect to a SQL database on SQL 2000 with SP3a?   It's running on a virtual machine with a Windows Server 2000 Std with SP4, the .Net application is working with .Net Framework 1.1.4322.573. For some reason it can't connect to the SQL database using the specified username and password in the web.config file even though the user exists in the SQL database. I've tried using the SA password but this still doesn't work. I can logon to SQL Query Analyzer using the SA password but not usin...

connecting powerbuilder application to internet database -- please help
I want to connect my powerbuilder application to an internet database, that means i need to place the database ( MS Access, MySql, or Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere, just the database alone ) into our web space, or i want to access the website providers database via powerbuilder application from my internet connected PC. how can i establish the connection and how can i implement the software.. please help! for Example.. We got some webspace in a third party web space provider. We need to develop an application software with stock maintenance and price monitoring. We prefer to...

Help me in Database Connections for SQL Server in ASP.NET application
Hello Friends, I am new to .NET and SQL Server. I am practising it and got some doubts. I am keeping infront of you, please help me. I have couple of questions. Q1: What is code for connecting the sql server into .net, for example, i have a table called "emp_info" in database with columns as, emp_name, emp_no, emp_data and i inserted some data for these values. And in ASP.Net page, i added a data grid and what my request, i want the data that is present in DB should be displayed in the data grid when i click a submit button in ASP.NET page. Please tell me how to write the code in...

connecting powerbuilder application to internet database -- please help #2
I want to connect my powerbuilder application to an internet database, that means i need to place the database ( MS Access, MySql, or Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere, just the database alone ) into our web space, or i want to access the website providers database via powerbuilder application from my internet connected PC. how can i establish the connection and how can i implement the software.. please help! thanks and regards, danny tharakans@hotmail.com I have a lot of questions about your question. Is the "Web Space" hosted by you / your company or a third ...

how to encrypt the connection settings to a database in the web.config file in an ASP.NET application
hi, I need to encrypt the connection settings to a database in the web.config file in an ASP.NET application, so that if anyone opens the config file, they would not be able to know my database credentials. Can anyone tell me how to do that?   any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi,take a look at this article: How to use the ASP.NET utility to encrypt credentials and session state connection strings.Grz, Kris.  Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

how to connect Oracle Database in Smart Device Application using .Net Compact Framework
Edited by moderator XIII: Please read this article: How to post on forums Dear all, I am using Smart Device Application using .Net Compact Framework & want to access Oracle database (such as inserting,updating,retrieving data from oracle database). Can anyone provide me any code (in C#) for data access or any link related to this topic? Regsrds Anirban You did not mention where your oracle database resides. One way is to write a web service where you can write all your code related to database access and manipulation. You can call this web service from your sm...

ASP.Net 2.0 application can't connect to database server
I've done a lot of research for this issue, none of the solutions i found online was able to fix the problem.Here's a description: I have ASP.Net 2.0 application developed in VS 2005 on Windows 2000 SP4 machine. Application connects to MS SQL 2000 or 2005 database without problem.I moved an application to Web server (Windows 2000 SP4) which hosts both 1.1 and 2.0 apps.1.1 apps run fine, but 2.0 app can't connect to any database server.Error i'm getting:An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this fail...

Web resources about - WPF application and database connections - sybase.powerbuilder.net

Report: Apple’s quest for retail stores in India on track as government plans to approve application
... Apple , and India . What do you think? Discuss "Report: Apple’s quest for retail stores in India on track as government plans to approve application" ...

Stugan Games Accelerator Opens Applications for 2016
Games accelerator Stugan has opened its application process for its 2016 summer program. The program will accept 20 aspiring game developers, ...

eHosting DataFort to provide next generation data centre services with its Cisco Application-Centric ...
Al-Bawaba eHosting DataFort to provide next generation data centre services with its Cisco Application-Centric Infrastructure ... Al-Bawaba ...

Remote application server streamlines Windows desktop delivery
... that they need is therefore a challenging task. Cross platform solutions specialist Parallels is launching a new version of its Remote Application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa route that allows 200
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

Toshiba Launches 40V N-ch Low ON-resistance Power MOSFET for Automotive Applications
Toshiba launched a 40V N-ch power MOSFET, &quot;TKR74F04PB,&quot; for automobile applications, including DC-DC converters, high capacity motor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 22% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase as Rates Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 8.8 percent ...

Mortgage applications jump 9.3%
A sharp drop in interest rates prompted more homeowners to refinance their mortgages, especially those with large loans.

The USPTO updates their refusal of Sony's 'Let's Play' trademark application
... and Trademarks Office shot them down. What was interesting was the USPTO’s justification for doing so. They didn’t originally deny the application ...