WPF application and database connections

Hi,
How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in general).
Can an WPF application running on a client Machine connect
to a database that running in the same environment as the
IIS server.

Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am asking
how to make the WPF application connect to a SQLANywhere
database remotely?
0
Sri
1/14/2011 7:02:40 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.net 284 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and you
will see it should connect the same way as classic.

> Hi,
> How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in
> general). Can an WPF application running on a client
> Machine connect to a database that running in the same
> environment as the IIS server.
>
> Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am asking
> how to make the WPF application connect to a SQLANywhere
> database remotely?
0
Peter
1/14/2011 7:49:34 PM
Peter,
So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And run
the application from my laptop at home, would it connect to
the database that is located on the database server, that's
located in the same network environment as the IIS server?
Thanks
Sri
> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and you
> will see it should connect the same way as classic.
>
> > Hi,
> > How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in
> > general). Can an WPF application running on a client
> > Machine connect to a database that running in the same
> > environment as the IIS server.
> >
> > Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am
> > asking how to make the WPF application connect to a
> > SQLANywhere database remotely?
0
Sri
1/14/2011 8:24:09 PM
On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
> Peter,
> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And run
> the application from my laptop at home, would it connect to
> the database that is located on the database server, that's
> located in the same network environment as the IIS server?
> Thanks
> Sri
>> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and you
>> will see it should connect the same way as classic.
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> How does a PB 12.1 .net WPF application work ( in
>>> general). Can an WPF application running on a client
>>> Machine connect to a database that running in the same
>>> environment as the IIS server.
>>>
>>> Client is not in the same enviroment. I guess I am
>>> asking how to make the WPF application connect to a
>>> SQLANywhere database remotely?

Sri

You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture, right?

I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?

--
Yakov [TeamSybase]
eLearnIT LLC

WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
> > Peter,
> > So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
> > run the application from my laptop at home, would it
> > connect to the database that is located on the database
> > server, that's located in the same network environment
> > as the IIS server? Thanks
> > Sri
> >> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and
> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

> Sri
>
> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
> right?
>
> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>
> --
> Yakov [TeamSybase]
> eLearnIT LLC
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com
0
sri
1/14/2011 8:58:52 PM
Sri

I believe what you are referring to is SmartClient deploy.  This is a
desktop synchronization that you configure on the project object for the
target.  One of the options synchronization options is a centralized
website.
It is not a browser client.

Currently your only option use Classic 12.1 and .NET WebForm or Appeon

On 1/14/2011 3:58 PM, sri wrote:
> I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
> the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
> from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
> where the IIS part comes from?
>
> WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
>> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
>>> run the application from my laptop at home, would it
>>> connect to the database that is located on the database
>>> server, that's located in the same network environment
>>> as the IIS server? Thanks
>>> Sri
>> you>>  will see it should connect the same way as classic.

>> Sri
>>
>> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
>> right?
>>
>> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>>
>> --
>> Yakov [TeamSybase]
>> eLearnIT LLC
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
>> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
>> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com

0
Yakov
1/14/2011 9:32:36 PM
Hi Sri;

  No, WPF is just another ``fat native client`` technology that supersedes
the EXE`s that you got from PB classic as either Win32 or Winform deployment
(compilation).

Making the application a thin client is basically n-tier - which means that
you would separate and then deploy your business logic (in NVUO`s) to an
application server. Then call the NVUO as a remote procedure call (SOAP,
RPC, IIOP, Web Service, etc).

  A zero client foot print would be a web based application. Right now only
Webform deployments are supported for that and only in PB classic (v11.0
through 12.1). PB.Net does not support any web deployment. In the future,
Sybase has indicated that they are looking for web deployment using
Silverlight - however, that will not be until PB 15 at the earliest (AFAIK).

HTH

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com

"sri" wrote in message news:4d30b90c.406f.1681692777@sybase.com...

I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
where the IIS part comes from?

WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
> > Peter,
> > So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
> > run the application from my laptop at home, would it
> > connect to the database that is located on the database
> > server, that's located in the same network environment
> > as the IIS server? Thanks
> > Sri
> >> Code a simple PB 12.1 Classic app and migrate it and
> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

> Sri
>
> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
> right?
>
> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>
> --
> Yakov [TeamSybase]
> eLearnIT LLC
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com

0
Chris
1/14/2011 9:34:45 PM
In order for a WPF app to be deployed through XBAP, the assemblies have to
be targetted for platform "any".  Currently PB.Net targets them for "x86".
I tinkered with it for a while, but was never really able to get around
that issue.

<sri> wrote:
> I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
> the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
> from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
> where the IIS part comes from?
>
> WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
>> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
>>> run the application from my laptop at home, would it
>>> connect to the database that is located on the database
>>> server, that's located in the same network environment
>>> as the IIS server? Thanks
>>> Sri
>> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

>> Sri
>>
>> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
>> right?
>>
>> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>>
>> --
>> Yakov [TeamSybase]
>> eLearnIT LLC
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
>> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
>> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com
0
Bruce
1/14/2011 10:21:16 PM
With XBAP, which the OP referred to, you can run WPF applications
essentially thin client in the browser.  The only requirement for the
client is the .net framework.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAML_Browser_Applications

However, as I noted in my own response to the OP, the assemblies that PB
uses aren't targetted for the "any" platform target, which is a requirement
for XBAP deployment.

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote:
> Hi Sri;
>
>  No, WPF is just another ``fat native client`` technology that supersedes
> the EXE`s that you got from PB classic as either Win32 or Winform deployment (compilation).
>
> Making the application a thin client is basically n-tier - which means
> that you would separate and then deploy your business logic (in NVUO`s)
> to an application server. Then call the NVUO as a remote procedure call
> (SOAP, RPC, IIOP, Web Service, etc).
>
>  A zero client foot print would be a web based application. Right now
> only Webform deployments are supported for that and only in PB classic
> (v11.0 through 12.1). PB.Net does not support any web deployment. In the
> future, Sybase has indicated that they are looking for web deployment
> using Silverlight - however, that will not be until PB 15 at the earliest (AFAIK).
>
> HTH
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
> PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
> "sri" wrote in message news:4d30b90c.406f.1681692777@sybase.com...
>
> I am looking to make the application thin. ALso, want to use
> the WPF Technology, I saw, that you can publish the project
> from WPF application to a web address..so I guess that's
> where the IIS part comes from?
>
> WPF application is not Thin Client ( XBAP possible?)
>> On 1/14/2011 3:24 PM, Sri wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>> So, if I install WPF application on my IIS Server. And
>>> run the application from my laptop at home, would it
>>> connect to the database that is located on the database
>>> server, that's located in the same network environment
>>> as the IIS server? Thanks
>>> Sri
>> you >> will see it should connect the same way as classic.

>> Sri
>>
>> You do understand that WPF is not a web architecture,
>> right?
>>
>> I'm confused. What does WPF have to do with IIS?
>>
>> --
>> Yakov [TeamSybase]
>> eLearnIT LLC
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eLearnPB
>> Blog: http://yakovwerde.sys-con.com
>> Web Site: http://www.eLearnITOnline.com
0
Bruce
1/14/2011 10:21:16 PM
Actually, I'm going to contradict myself.  It looks like the issue might have
been that I was testing it on 64 bit Windows 7.  It looks like you might be able
to create an XBAP deploy with x86 targetted assemblies.  You won't be able to
use it on a 64 bit system though, which is a rather significant limitation:

WPF XAML Browser Applications (XBAPs) that target x86 will not execute on
Windows 7 64-bit installations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974396

On 14 Jan 2011 14:21:16 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.net