powerbuilder 12 vs Appeon : differences to convert PB application to the web

Hello,

I've an application in PB10.5 and i would like to "convert"
to the web.

what are the differences beetwen Appeon an powerbuilder 12
with migration .net .

Thanks for all informations you have.

ED
0
ednego
9/17/2010 2:06:40 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.net 284 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The PB.NET IDE does not have any web targets. If you migrate to PB12,
you'd be looking at PB12 Classic and a WebForm target. (PB 12 Classic
and PB.NET are bundled together.)

Webforms have their issues. They're IE-only and have a reputation of an
excessive amount of callbacks to the server.

I know very little about Appeon, but there are those that swear by it.
I'm sure that it, too, has its own set of limitations.

On 9/17/2010 9:06 AM, ednego wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've an application in PB10.5 and i would like to "convert"
> to the web.
>
> what are the differences beetwen Appeon an powerbuilder 12
> with migration .net .
>
> Thanks for all informations you have.
>
> ED
0
Jason
9/17/2010 2:34:23 PM
El 17/09/2010 09:06 a.m., ednego escribi�:
> Hello,
>
> I've an application in PB10.5 and i would like to "convert"
> to the web.
>
> what are the differences beetwen Appeon an powerbuilder 12
> with migration .net .
>
> Thanks for all informations you have.
>
> ED
apeon:

http://appeon.novalys.net/ES/web-enable-powerbuilder-applications/powerbuilder-hasta-web-en-java-y-net/como-appeon-animaciones-flash.php
0
Sybase
9/17/2010 3:47:47 PM
Appeon brings your PB client/server almost seamlessly to the
web. Made my life easier as a developer.

The only drawback from our end is our users would need to
install a plugin and it only works on IE.  Our users(even
those who "claim" to be computer-savvy) were whining about
the plugin installation.  Some installation issues
encountered were:
1. Need to disable UAC (for some).
2. Need to have Administrator rights.
3. Need to add the site to the list of trusted sites.
4. Need to disable Google toolbar pop-up blocker.

These may sound common but for some of our users who just
know turn on their computers and open their browsers, it was
a pain.

> The PB.NET IDE does not have any web targets. If you
> migrate to PB12,  you'd be looking at PB12 Classic and a
> WebForm target. (PB 12 Classic  and PB.NET are bundled
> together.)
>
> Webforms have their issues. They're IE-only and have a
> reputation of an  excessive amount of callbacks to the
> server.
>
> I know very little about Appeon, but there are those that
> swear by it.  I'm sure that it, too, has its own set of
> limitations.
>

> On 9/17/2010 9:06 AM, ednego wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've an application in PB10.5 and i would like to
> > "convert" to the web.
> >
> > what are the differences beetwen Appeon an powerbuilder
> > 12 with migration .net .
> >
> > Thanks for all informations you have.
> >
> > ED
0
mmalubay
9/17/2010 6:38:17 PM
However, once the plug-in is installed your web applications will run 10-15x
faster than PB's webforms AND support features like MDI which Sybase's
implementation does not!

"mmalubay" wrote in message news:4c93b599.71d9.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Appeon brings your PB client/server almost seamlessly to the
> web. Made my life easier as a developer.
>
> The only drawback from our end is our users would need to
> install a plugin and it only works on IE.  Our users(even
> those who "claim" to be computer-savvy) were whining about
> the plugin installation.  Some installation issues
> encountered were:
> 1. Need to disable UAC (for some).
> 2. Need to have Administrator rights.
> 3. Need to add the site to the list of trusted sites.
> 4. Need to disable Google toolbar pop-up blocker.
>
> These may sound common but for some of our users who just
> know turn on their computers and open their browsers, it was
> a pain.
>
>> The PB.NET IDE does not have any web targets. If you
>> migrate to PB12,  you'd be looking at PB12 Classic and a
>> WebForm target. (PB 12 Classic  and PB.NET are bundled
>> together.)
>>
>> Webforms have their issues. They're IE-only and have a
>> reputation of an  excessive amount of callbacks to the
>> server.
>>
>> I know very little about Appeon, but there are those that
>> swear by it.  I'm sure that it, too, has its own set of
>> limitations.
>>

>> On 9/17/2010 9:06 AM, ednego wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I've an application in PB10.5 and i would like to
>> > "convert" to the web.
>> >
>> > what are the differences beetwen Appeon an powerbuilder
>> > 12 with migration .net .
>> >
>> > Thanks for all informations you have.
>> >
>> > ED

0
Chris
9/19/2010 12:37:10 AM
You have not mentioned the cost:

Appeon is charging AUD $10,500 per CPU

Whereas PB webform target is free (bundled in PB v12)

> However, once the plug-in is installed your web
> applications will run 10-15x  faster than PB's webforms
> AND support features like MDI which Sybase's
> implementation does not!
>

> "mmalubay" wrote in message
> > news:4c93b599.71d9.1681692777@sybase.com... Appeon
> > brings your PB client/server almost seamlessly to the
> web. Made my life easier as a developer. >
> > The only drawback from our end is our users would need
> > to install a plugin and it only works on IE.  Our
> > users(even those who "claim" to be computer-savvy) were
> > whining about the plugin installation.  Some
> > installation issues encountered were:
> > 1. Need to disable UAC (for some).
> > 2. Need to have Administrator rights.
> > 3. Need to add the site to the list of trusted sites.
> > 4. Need to disable Google toolbar pop-up blocker.
> >
> > These may sound common but for some of our users who
> > just know turn on their computers and open their
> > browsers, it was a pain.
> >
> >> The PB.NET IDE does not have any web targets. If you
> >> migrate to PB12,  you'd be looking at PB12 Classic and
> a >> WebForm target. (PB 12 Classic  and PB.NET are
> bundled >> together.)
> >>
> >> Webforms have their issues. They're IE-only and have a
> >> reputation of an  excessive amount of callbacks to the
> >> server.
> >>
> >> I know very little about Appeon, but there are those
> that >> swear by it.  I'm sure that it, too, has its own
> set of >> limitations.

> powerbuilder >> > 12 with migration .net .

0
Jackson
9/20/2010 3:31:31 AM
When you factor in the labor and risk, Appeon is a bargain

On 9/19/2010 11:31 PM, Jackson wrote:
> You have not mentioned the cost:
>
> Appeon is charging AUD $10,500 per CPU
>
> Whereas PB webform target is free (bundled in PB v12)
>
>> However, once the plug-in is installed your web
>> applications will run 10-15x  faster than PB's webforms
>> AND support features like MDI which Sybase's
>> implementation does not!
>>

>> "mmalubay" wrote in message
>>> news:4c93b599.71d9.1681692777@sybase.com... Appeon
>>> brings your PB client/server almost seamlessly to the
>> web. Made my life easier as a developer.>
>>> The only drawback from our end is our users would need
>>> to install a plugin and it only works on IE.  Our
>>> users(even those who "claim" to be computer-savvy) were
>>> whining about the plugin installation.  Some
>>> installation issues encountered were:
>>> 1. Need to disable UAC (for some).
>>> 2. Need to have Administrator rights.
>>> 3. Need to add the site to the list of trusted sites.
>>> 4. Need to disable Google toolbar pop-up blocker.
>>>
>>> These may sound common but for some of our users who
>>> just know turn on their computers and open their
>>> browsers, it was a pain.

>> a>>  WebForm target. (PB 12 Classic  and PB.NET are
>> bundled>>  together.)

>> that>>  swear by it.  I'm sure that it, too, has its own
>> set of>>  limitations.

>> powerbuilder>>  >  12 with migration .net .

0
Yakov
9/20/2010 3:34:49 PM
they have a professional edition for < 50 concurrent users that costs less

"Jackson" wrote in message news:4c96d593.4f5b.1681692777@sybase.com...
> You have not mentioned the cost:
>
> Appeon is charging AUD $10,500 per CPU
>
> Whereas PB webform target is free (bundled in PB v12)
>
>> However, once the plug-in is installed your web
>> applications will run 10-15x  faster than PB's webforms
>> AND support features like MDI which Sybase's
>> implementation does not!
>>

>> "mmalubay" wrote in message
>> > news:4c93b599.71d9.1681692777@sybase.com... Appeon
>> > brings your PB client/server almost seamlessly to the
>> web. Made my life easier as a developer. >
>> > The only drawback from our end is our users would need
>> > to install a plugin and it only works on IE.  Our
>> > users(even those who "claim" to be computer-savvy) were
>> > whining about the plugin installation.  Some
>> > installation issues encountered were:
>> > 1. Need to disable UAC (for some).
>> > 2. Need to have Administrator rights.
>> > 3. Need to add the site to the list of trusted sites.
>> > 4. Need to disable Google toolbar pop-up blocker.
>> >
>> > These may sound common but for some of our users who
>> > just know turn on their computers and open their
>> > browsers, it was a pain.

>> a >> WebForm target. (PB 12 Classic  and PB.NET are
>> bundled >> together.)

>> that >> swear by it.  I'm sure that it, too, has its own
>> set of >> limitations.

>> powerbuilder >> > 12 with migration .net .

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003
hi how can i convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003 and how i know that the application is made in vs.net 2002 and not in vs.net 2003 and thank for your time VS.NEt 2003 detects 2002 project format automatically when you try to open 2002 project with it. It also asks you if the project needs to be converted into 2003 format (if I remember right conversion must be done to use the project in 2003). If you say yes, it does the conversion and you don't have to do anything. Note that VS.NEt 2002 can't open 2003 projects.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU thank you for your...

Convert VS 2008 Web Application Project to ASP.NET Futures Web Application Project
 Hi guys! I have read that inorder to use Silverlight controls on asp.net pages, I have to install Asp.NET futures July CTP.  So I did try to create a ASP.NET Futures Web Application project, but for some stupid reasons, I didn't created a ASP.NET Futures Web Application project but just a normal web application project :( There are already a number of developers already working on the project, so I can't just create a new project and and move all their project files there.  So what I have in mind instead is just do all the necessary adjustments to the web ap...

Deploying powerbuilder application as .NET web application
Hi when I deploy Client/Server PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any bug messages. Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed. Any information is appreciated. If this question has to do with PB 11 WebForm deploys, you want to post it in the sybase.public.powerbuilder.net.webform section. This section is for DataWindow.Net, a different product. On 29 Jul 2008 05:32:55 -0700, Raju Gol...

ASP.NET web application vs ASP.NET mobile web application
Hello, i have one question here. In New Project section, i found two item that are ASP.NET web application and ASP.NET mobile web application. Since i would like to start my project by creating a web application that can be accessed through mobile devices such as PDA, therefore can anyone suggest me which one is better to be chosen and why should i choose the suggested answer...Tq... An ASP.NET mobile web application uses a different set of controls to output HTML optimized for mobile devices, so thats your best bet :)...

Deploying Web Application
Hi AllI have been playing around with both setups and have a few questions. Firstly the ASP.Net web application: I have created a Web Application with a default.aspx. I have added a class library project to this project called DAL (Data Access Layer) and in this project created a simple class that opens and closes a connection just for testing purposes. I have added a reference to this project in the original web application... the one with the Default.aspx. Anyway everything works perfectly as it should but my question for this one is how do you deploy this to a server? I've re...

Converting .net desktop application(vb.net app) to .net web application(asp.net app)
is it possible to convert/upgrad .net desktop application(vb.net application) to .net web application(asp.net application) ? If possible how? is there any extra software or wrapper for it? If possible please...Thanks..  There is no conversion software or wrappers that I know of. For the most part, you will have to rewrite it since the platforms are completely different.Cheers,       Kevin JonesMy Blog...

What is the difference between ASP.NET Web Site and Web Application in VS 2005
I'm just getting started in ASP.NET web development and am using VS 2005 (with SP1).I don't understand the differences between VS 2005 Web Site projects and VS 2005 Web Application Projects.I've seen a few comments here and there about some feature that is supported in one but not the other, but would like to find a list of all the differences so our team can determine which is better for our projects. In the Scott Guthrie article about VS 2005 Web Applications (found here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/445742.aspx) he makes a reference to the following URL wh...

Powerbuilder .NET 12 and Appeon
Hi All, I am currently using PB 11.5 and Appeon (EAServer) to deploy my PB application to web. I wanted to do away with Appeon and migrate our existing apps to a web application that will not require Appeon. Just wanted to get confirmation that with migrating the applications to .NET thru PB 12 that I will be able to rid of Appeon. Also, what are the pre-requisites in doing this? I haven't done .NET development at all. Appreciate any response. Thanks. Hi Mel; No, there is no change to PB's webform feature in 12.0 - so you will still need Appeon if you want the ex...

ASP.NET 2.0 Vs VB.NET 2.0 (Web Application VS Desktop Application)
Hello every body,  I am going to develope my final year project "A information system" but I dont know that what I have to choose (desktop or web application) can u tell me the advantages of asp.net over vb.net (desktop or web application) please specify the main and atteractive resons  Thank you. web = no install, cross platform compatibility. desktop = richer UI experience (subjective) and better user interaction. From the standpoint of a web developer: Web applications are usually easier to deploy.  Whenever you release a new version of your code, y...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

No Asp.net mobile web application template in VS 2005 team suite How Can I create Asp.net mobile web application
I am using VS 2005 team suite. I want's to create a mobile web application. How Can I create a mobile web application in VS 2005. There is no template for Asp.net mobile web application [as in VS 2003] Not if I create a new Project or If I create a new WebSite project Also I have make a project of smart device which works perfectly fine. In the toolbox If I add new item I can see System.web.ui.mobilecontrols. I think I am just missing the template for ASP.NET Mobile Web Application. I don't want's to download and install full windows CE 5.0 [800mb] for just this temp...

different between converting vs 2003 web app to vs 2005 and just adjusting the asp.net version in iis.
hi, i know that a web application developed with vs 2003 can be converted to vs 2005 using the converter, then the web application can be configured to run on the asp.net 2.0 version. Alternatively, i can just configure the asp.net version in iis from 1.1 to 2.0, not converting any code of the application. unfortunately, i don't understand what's going on under the hood of those two ways and the different between them. any explanation and hyperlink about this topic is highly appreciated. Thank you.What really matters most is the chance to communicate with you, my friends, ra...

Asp.Net Web Site vs. Asp.Net Web Application
Does anyone know what the real difference is between creating a New Project and choosing Asp.Net Web Application, versus creating a New Web Site and choosing Asp.Net Web Site.  The only thing I've noticed so far is that if you do an asp.net web application then you dont have access to App_Code asp.net folder.  So for a large scale web intranet application which one should I use?  Usually I do asp.net web site and put my dataccess layer code in the App_Code folder.  Any ideas???   Eric You can still access the App_Code folder; you just need to add a new webs...

Web resources about - powerbuilder 12 vs Appeon : differences to convert PB application to the web - sybase.powerbuilder.net

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles