Oracle Connections Being Closed

PB12.1 Classic

My WebService is using the following connection dbparm:
Namespace='Oracle.DataAccess.Client',ADORelease='2.111.6.20',DataSource='(description=(address_list=(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=myhost)(port=1521)))(connect_data=(sid
= famous)));Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=1'

If I run the web service on my local box the connections are not closed
after the method completes.  I then deploy it to another IIS box and run the
same test but this one will physically close the connection after the method
completes.  What would cause this to happen?  From what I can tell I have
everything setup the same.

Thanks,
Chris Craft

0
Chris
1/5/2011 7:18:15 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.net 284 articles. 0 followers. Follow

One other question - Does the PB Web Service only support 2.111.6.20?  I
attempted to load 2.111.7.20 on the other IIS box thinking their might be a
bug in the 2.111.6.20 version but it returns the following error: "The
located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly
reference".

Chris Craft

"Chris Craft" <NOChrisATfamoussoftwareDOTcom> wrote in message
> PB12.1 Classic
>
> My WebService is using the following connection dbparm:
> Namespace='Oracle.DataAccess.Client',ADORelease='2.111.6.20',DataSource='(description=(address_list=(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=myhost)(port=1521)))(connect_data=(sid
> = famous)));Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=1'
>
> If I run the web service on my local box the connections are not closed
> after the method completes.  I then deploy it to another IIS box and run
> the same test but this one will physically close the connection after the
> method completes.  What would cause this to happen?  From what I can tell
> I have everything setup the same.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Craft

0
Chris
1/5/2011 7:59:03 PM
Chris

That sounds more like and ADO connection pooling issue. When
using connection pools, the connection to the database is
never actually closed, but placed in the pool to be
recycled. While your connection string specifically sets the
pool size, if your local database is not configured to use
connection pooling, then the connection string setting will
be ignored; this also might explain why your other test
machine works, their DB installation may have connection
pooling enabled.

I would start by looking at the settings on your databases
to make sure they either both have connection pooling
enabled and/or disabled. I would tell you where to look, but
I am far more familiar with SQL Anywhere and SQL Server than
Oracle.

> PB12.1 Classic
>
> My WebService is using the following connection dbparm:
> Namespace='Oracle.DataAccess.Client'
> ,ADORelease='2.111.6.20'
> ,DataSource='(description=(address_list=(address=(protocol
> =tcp)(host=myhost)(port=1521)))(connect_data=(sid  =
> famous)));Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=1'
>
> If I run the web service on my local box the connections
> are not closed  after the method completes.  I then deploy
> it to another IIS box and run the  same test but this one
> will physically close the connection after the method
> completes.  What would cause this to happen?  From what I
> can tell I have  everything setup the same.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Craft

0
Douglas
1/6/2011 1:33:06 PM
Thanks Douglas for your reply.  The odd part with this was both Web Services
are hitting the same Database so the setting is the same (FWIW - the
database is not set to do the pooling).  I ended up uninstalling ODAC and
then Reinstalling again and it is now working properly.  This is the second
time I have run across issues that were solved by uninstalling and
installing again.

Thanks,
Chris Craft

<Douglas Troy> wrote in message news:4d25c492.114b.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Chris
>
> That sounds more like and ADO connection pooling issue. When
> using connection pools, the connection to the database is
> never actually closed, but placed in the pool to be
> recycled. While your connection string specifically sets the
> pool size, if your local database is not configured to use
> connection pooling, then the connection string setting will
> be ignored; this also might explain why your other test
> machine works, their DB installation may have connection
> pooling enabled.
>
> I would start by looking at the settings on your databases
> to make sure they either both have connection pooling
> enabled and/or disabled. I would tell you where to look, but
> I am far more familiar with SQL Anywhere and SQL Server than
> Oracle.
>
>> PB12.1 Classic
>>
>> My WebService is using the following connection dbparm:
>> Namespace='Oracle.DataAccess.Client'
>> ,ADORelease='2.111.6.20'
>> ,DataSource='(description=(address_list=(address=(protocol
>> =tcp)(host=myhost)(port=1521)))(connect_data=(sid  =
>> famous)));Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=1'
>>
>> If I run the web service on my local box the connections
>> are not closed  after the method completes.  I then deploy
>> it to another IIS box and run the  same test but this one
>> will physically close the connection after the method
>> completes.  What would cause this to happen?  From what I
>> can tell I have  everything setup the same.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris Craft

0
Chris
1/6/2011 2:57:38 PM
That is very odd. Almost sounds like a file wasn't being
updated/replaced the first install, but the uninstall
removed it and allowed the reinstall to successfully update.

File in use issue perhaps?

> Thanks Douglas for your reply.  The odd part with this was
> both Web Services  are hitting the same Database so the
> setting is the same (FWIW - the  database is not set to do
> the pooling).  I ended up uninstalling ODAC and  then
> Reinstalling again and it is now working properly.  This
> is the second  time I have run across issues that were
> solved by uninstalling and  installing again.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Craft
>
> <Douglas Troy> wrote in message
> > news:4d25c492.114b.1681692777@sybase.com... Chris
> >
> > That sounds more like and ADO connection pooling issue.
> > When using connection pools, the connection to the
> > database is never actually closed, but placed in the
> > pool to be recycled. While your connection string
> > specifically sets the pool size, if your local database
> > is not configured to use connection pooling, then the
> > connection string setting will be ignored; this also
> > might explain why your other test machine works, their
> > DB installation may have connection pooling enabled.
> >
> > I would start by looking at the settings on your
> > databases to make sure they either both have connection
> > pooling enabled and/or disabled. I would tell you where
> > to look, but I am far more familiar with SQL Anywhere
> > and SQL Server than Oracle.
> >
> >> PB12.1 Classic
> >>
> >> My WebService is using the following connection dbparm:
> >> Namespace='Oracle.DataAccess.Client'
> >> ,ADORelease='2.111.6.20'
> >>
> ,DataSource='(description=(address_list=(address=(protocol
> >> =tcp)(host=myhost)(port=1521)))(connect_data=(sid  = >>
> famous)));Min Pool Size=1;Max Pool Size=1' >>
> >> If I run the web service on my local box the
> connections >> are not closed  after the method completes.
>  I then deploy >> it to another IIS box and run the  same
> test but this one >> will physically close the connection
> after the method >> completes.  What would cause this to
> happen?  From what I >> can tell I have  everything setup
> the same. >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Chris Craft

0
Douglas

Connection.close() not closing my connection?
My servlet calls con.close() within the finally {} of a try..catch block. Yet I notice that sa_conn_info still lists the connection. Shouldn't the connection disappear from the sa_conn_info list when I close it? And if the answer to that is "yes, it should", has anybody seen situations like mine where it *doesn't* close it? Thanks for your help, Kathleen My bad... through a series of really stupid coding mistakes, I managed to cause a SQLException to be thrown from within the finally {} block before the connection could be closed... and I was ignoring the ...

OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle
I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection. Does it matter which one I use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Would appreciate any input. ODBC is slower than OleDb. because ODBC has to talk to OleDbProvider then OleDbProvider will talk to Oracle Db. Instead if you are able to use OleDb straight to DB then it will be faster. If you only have THOSE choices, I would take OleDb over ODBC any day. If you are using Framework 1.1, you have the choice of using th...

How to connect PowerBuilder to Oracle 11g and which PB version suppports oracle 11g?
Hi All, Please tell me how to connect PowerBuilder to Oracle 11g and which PB version suppports oracle 11g? Currently i am using Power Builder version 9. Thanks Mukul Hi Mukul; FYI: PB version 11.5 and higher has support for the new native O11g driver. You can still use older versions of PB that use the O10g driver over to 11g - but, you will be restricted to 10g functionality. HTH -- Regards ... Chris ISUG - NA RUG Director http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com "mukul" <mukul.trivedi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3f291629-08c6-446a-8c81...

Oracle connection not closing
I have an application that is using sqldatasources to connect to a Oracle DB.   The sqldatasource all have their datasourcemode set to dataset.  I added the below code  to all the selected events on all the datasource i am using but the connection state is always closed so connection.close is never called.  The DBA is saying i have hundreds of open connections on his server.  Does anybody have an idea of what i can try next ? If e.Command.Connection.State = ConnectionState.Open Then e.Command.Connection.Close() End If e.Command.Connection.Dispose() Have ...

connect Oracle in PowerBuilder
Dear friends, When I connect to Oracle in PowerBuilder it give me error SQLSTATE = S1000 (Oracle) ODBC Oracle Driver)(Oracle OCT) ORA-12154: TNS could not resolve service name. Above error I never hed problem to connect but today I have error to connect. If you are using: servername= @TNS:ServiceName then the service name must appear in your tns services file: tnsnames.ora search for that file and be sure your service name appears there. Regards, John Olson [TeamPS] john.olson@bigfoot.com Developower, Inc. developower@bigf...

PowerBuilder 9.0.1: Connect to Oracle Using the PowerBuilder Native Driver
Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be related to our production issue. http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397 http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896 Thanks in advance, John johnshi@yahoo.com The first one only affects the development environment, and the second one is only applicable to datawindows build with the old PBDBMS method. What problems are you having? On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote: >Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be >related to our production i...

oracle connectivity with .net
I just want to make the connectivity of .net with oracle database . i just want to know the steps for it and also the connection string. also one more thing, Is oracle connectivity with .net working smothly as with mssql? Please help me .  ThanksAnkur PanditM.Tech(cse)persuingIndia  If you are familier with conncting MySql with asp.net - you need no to do much.  ankurpandit:Is oracle connectivity with .net working smothly as with mssql?  Yes, its very smooth. Once you will start digging oracle - you will feel the immense power of this RDBMS.  =============...

underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly
Hi ,   I am working with wcf and linq  and i am facing a problem"The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly. " when i am trying to return my linq query to the client.I tried for changing the code in web.config for client and server.like   Client :   <behaviors> <endpointBehaviors> <behavior name="debuggingBehaviour"> <dataContractSerializer maxItemsInObjectGraph="2147483646" />                 &nb...

difference between connection.close and command.connection.close
hello, What is the difference between odbcconnection.close and odbccommand.connection.close? I am making connection once in my application in global.asax and opening connection at application_start event and closing it at application_end event. I am accessing connection through "global.myconnection" in webforms. NOw in the webforms,do I have to mycommand.connection.open before comand.executereader?? Does mycommand.connection.close , closes the odbcconnection that I make in gloabl.asax? It is confusing, because on the first function executing on webform, when I myc...

connecting to Oracle with ASP.NET web.config connection string ?Do I need to install a client?
I am able to access 9i and 10g Oracle DBs from other clients on my pc - sqlplus, PLSQL Developer, etc. As a simple test I just wanted to connect and access the same oracle DBs through ASP.NET on my same client ...  my web config  connection entry looks like this (somebody elsewhere said this was working for them): <add name="pp2" connectionString="user id=xxx;password=xxx;data source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=xx.xx.xxx.xxx)(PORT=1523))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=myservicenamet)))"/> This asp.net  code : <asp:GridView ID="G...

Oracle store procedure problem using Powerbuilder and Oracle 8.0.4.0 Net
Powerbuilder version 6.0.00 / 6.5 Build 444 Oracle Net 8.0.4.0 I found there is problem with Oracle store procedure having more than 6 in parameters. I got GPF error on Window 95 and Dr. Watson error on NT. Also, I found it works find in Oracle Net 8.0.3.0. Is this a bug? Is there any new patch for this if it is a bug. Any recommendation about What version Oracle Net or SQL Net should I used for Oracle server version 8.0.4.0 (I don't think I am using any Oracle 8 new features)? Thanks in advance, Sharon Li If you use PB 6.5, you can try the new Oracle 8 driver: ftp...

Exception while calling .NET web service | System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Hi,   We have written a .NET web service which retrieves an xml file from the database. This web service is SSL secured and requires client certificates for connection.   Problem: The web service is throwing an exception while retrieving large files. It works fine when the file size is around 1 MB, but fails with a file size of around 65 MB with the following exception: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 38455668). ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: ...

Connecting PB 5.0.03 to Oracle 8 (NT) through SQL Net v2 with driver for Oracle 7.3 of PB
Can anyone assist me on Connecting PB 5.0.03 to Oracle 8 (NT) through SQL Net v2 with driver for Oracle 7.3 of PB ? Thank you very much in advance. -- John Fotiadis Direct +30 94-464225 Senior Systems Engineer Relational Technology S.A. In article <34979B76.67A813A8@sybase.com.gr>, johnf@sybase.com.gr says... > Can anyone assist me on Connecting PB 5.0.03 to Oracle 8 (NT) through > SQL Net v2 with driver for Oracle 7.3 of PB ? > > Thank you very much in advance. > > -- > John Fotiadis > Direct +30 94-464225 > Senior Systems Enginee...

SFtp connect
The following Ftp connect to a sftp site has the right port/usrname/password [verified thru filezilla], but when I try to connect via TIDFTP -- I get "Connection Closed Gracefully" upon ftp->Connect();; The ftp properties are below the code. I have no other Indy objects on the form. It ocurred to me that I may need something for sftp. ftp->Connect(); if (ftp->Connected()) { ::Sleep(1); } object ftp: TIdFTP AutoLogin = True Host = 'ftp.dailyaccess.com' Password ='XXXXX' Port = 21 Username = 'charles.leggette' ProxySet...

Web resources about - Oracle Connections Being Closed - sybase.powerbuilder.net

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart
CNN French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart CNN A forensic scientist works near a Paris cafe on Saturday, ...