Using SQL 2000 drivers in SQL 2008?

Hi,

I have an old PB7 application that was developed using MS SQL 2000
drivers. I haven't touched (or upgraded) the app in years. I'm now
looking at upgrading our SQL Server 2000 server to SQL Server 2008.
I'm wondering if the PB application will still connect to SQL Server
2008 using that driver?

The driver being used is Pbmss70.dll... the file version is
7.0.3.10047.

Any thoughts? I'm nervous that I'll upgrade the server and the app
will no longer connect, because it would take me quite a while to get
myself back into the app enough to modify it and rebuild it.

Thanks,

Evan
0
ebrastow

SQL Server 2008 MSDN Statement:

Although the Database Engine still supports connections from existing
applications that use the DB-Library and Embedded SQL APIs, it does not
include the files or documentation required to do programming work on
applications that use these APIs. A future version of the SQL Server
Database Engine will drop support for connections from DB-Library or
Embedded SQL applications. Do not use DB-Library or Embedded SQL to develop
new applications. Remove any dependencies on either DB-Library or Embedded
SQL when you are modifying existing applications. Instead of these APIs, use
the SQLClient namespace or an API such as OLE DB or ODBC. SQL Server 2008
does not include the DB-Library DLL required to run these applications. To
run DB-Library or Embedded SQL applications, you must have available the
DB-Library DLL from SQL Server version 6.5, SQL Server 7.0, or SQL Server
2000.

MSS is a db-lib client.
So, you will potentially have some featrues missing and no access to new
feature set.

"ebrastow" <ebrastow@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an old PB7 application that was developed using MS SQL 2000
> drivers. I haven't touched (or upgraded) the app in years. I'm now
> looking at upgrading our SQL Server 2000 server to SQL Server 2008.
> I'm wondering if the PB application will still connect to SQL Server
> 2008 using that driver?
>
> The driver being used is Pbmss70.dll... the file version is
> 7.0.3.10047.
>
> Any thoughts? I'm nervous that I'll upgrade the server and the app
> will no longer connect, because it would take me quite a while to get
> myself back into the app enough to modify it and rebuild it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan

0
Tyler

Using SQL 2000 drivers in SQL 2008? (cross post, sorry)
Sorry.. I didn't see the database group until after I posted in general :( Hi, I have an old PB7 application that was developed using MS SQL 2000 drivers. I haven't touched (or upgraded) the app in years. I'm now looking at upgrading our SQL Server 2000 server to SQL Server 2008. I'm wondering if the PB application will still connect to SQL Server 2008 using that driver? The driver being used is Pbmss70.dll... the file version is 7.0.3.10047. Any thoughts? I'm nervous that I'll upgrade the server and the app will no longer connect, because it would...

Use sql 2005 to program against sql 2000
I have sql server 2005 (full version) installed on my local machine, while the databases (on the server) I want to program against are in sql 2000. Could I program against sql 2000 databases using sql 2005? If yes, what do I need to know before I start doing that? Any suggestions are welcome. Hi dilber, You can connect with your SQL Server 2000 using SQL Server 2005... All you need is to 1: Open SQL Server Management Studio 2: Go to File Menu, Select Connect Object Explorer menu item ( Connect to Server Dialogbox will be open) 3. Enter your 2000 Server name in Server Name Drop Down, ...

SQL Server Express 2008 and SQL 2000
I wasn't able to create or update tables or stored procedures to a SQL 2000 database, using VWD Express 2008.  Would I be able to create and update tables and stored procedures on a SQL 2000 database using SQL Server Express 2008? It will cost you nothing to download SQL Server Express and try it out for yourself.  But the answer is yes.It's actually the Client Tools (Sql Server Management Studio) that you will need, so make sure you tick the option to install them. Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

ASP.Net application developed using SQL Server 2000 can't use SQL Server 2005
Hi,If an application written in ASP.Net that uses SQL Server 2000 can have certain features that will not work on SQL Server 2005?There is an application written in ASP.Net with SQL Server 2000 which I need to convert to SQL Server 2005 but the original developer says it uses certain SQL Server 2000 specific features and won't work directly on SQL Server 2005 without modifying code. Are there any such features? Thanks  According to the official "Discontinued Database Engine Functionality In SQL Server 2005"-document on MSDN, the only Transact-SQL statement that has ...

Using SQL Server 2000 instead of SQL Express
Hi,     I'm a newbie at trying out ASP.NET 2.0, what i wanted to know is for the Login and other controls which depend on SQL Express / 2005 as the database, can i reroute the connection string to point to SQL Server 2000 and for the controls and use a SQL 2000 database instead of SQL Express / 2005, if so is there any documentation available where i could learn more. Thanks Go into:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215type "aspnet_regsql" and it'll walk you through a wizard to setup a SQL2000 database for usage"If you make it idiot proof, they'...

using ms sql 2000 instead of sql express
i am a newbie with visual web dev. express..  i have downloaded the club web site starter kit but without the sql express thinking that i could use my existing sql 2000 databse.. i have got all the table created, thanks to the script given, but i could not get the web site running.. the databse is running fine..  in visual developer under the solution explorer, it has a App_data folder, it has 2 files. 1 . is the club-add.sql(script) and the 2nd is the club.mdf, which i think is the database file for sql express 2005 use.. on database explorer > Data connection>i can see...

SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 question using VS 2005
Can you use VS 2005 with SQL 2000 just like you can with SQL 2005 (automagiclly create grid views and configure data sources without banging your head up against a wall...if you know what I mean?)  Also second part of my question, I have created a database using SQL Express 2005, I display the table using a gridview with the ability to delete records, when the user goes to delete a record (user being myself...) the page postsback and the record never gets deleted.  I have tried using windows authentication and SQL authentication (need help with assigning the proper rights usin...

SQL Server 2008 Express with SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
Good Day,Please  englighten my mind, i have a plan,in my development PC, i have Windows XP and this Visual Studio 2008 and with SQL Server 2008 Express, in my  Deployment Server i have Windows Server 2003 with this SQL Server 2000 Enterprise. so my question is, what are the PROs and CONs in this kind of setup??? between SQL Servers????also please suggest anythings that will help me in this setup.  please help me, thanks JFRBPH12™ Is there any way you can upgrade your SQL Server version on the Deployment Server? Otherwise you would have to set compatibility mode to 80 in...

PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder
PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000 Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450) field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255 chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve? Please help me out if anybody knows the solution Thanks in advance because the native interface (Micr...

PB 11.5 and SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2008
Upgrading from PB 6.5 to PB 11.5 Database is MS SQL Server 2000 compatability level is 80 Has anyone had any issues or know of any issues with PB 11.5 (3050) and MS SQL Server 2000 or MS SQL 2008? We are looking to upgrade from SQL 2000 while upgrading PB 11.5. Originally upgraing SQl Server to SQl Server 2005 but since SQL Server 2008 is out we are exploring to upgrade to the latest SQL Server. Any info will help. Thanks, Tom Rundo ...

Cannot Restore SQL 2000 database in SQL Server Management Studio (2008)
At work we are in the process of moving over from  SQL Server 2000 and ASP.NET 1.1 (vs2003) to SQL Server 2008 and ASP.NET 2.0 (vs2008) My co-worker can but I cannot restore the SQL Server from a backup of the Production server (.BAK) through SQL Server Management Studio. I get "Exclusive Access could not be obtained because the database is in use." error even if I change my login to default to the master database and I have no other service connected to the database. It is a development database so nobody else even has access to it. I am able to restore it by RDP into...

Web resources about - Using SQL 2000 drivers in SQL 2008? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Driver's license - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A driver's license/licence or driving licence is an official document which states that a person may operate one or more types of motorized vehicles, ...

AMD's 2016 Linux Driver Plans & GPUOpen Family of Dev Tools: Investing In Open Source
... overnight, they do have a clear idea over where they have gone wrong and what are some of the things they can do to correct this. Linux Driver ...

Seattle City Council votes to allow Uber and Lyft drivers to unionize
Seattle City Councilmember Mike O'Brien speaking at an October event in support of his bill to allow Uber and Lyft drivers to unionize. In a ...

Uber and Lyft drivers can now form unions in Seattle
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , UAW/Unions , Smartphone , Technology The Seattle City Council voted unanimously to allow drivers for ...

Seattle becomes first city to allow Uber, Lyft drivers to unionize
Seattle is the first city in the nation to give Uber and Lyft drivers the right to form a union. That’s after the City Council voted unanimously ...

Uber Drivers Win Seattle Vote on Collective-Bargaining Rights
The Verge Uber Drivers Win Seattle Vote on Collective-Bargaining Rights Bloomberg Seattle's City Council voted unanimously to give collective ...

Uber could soon start letting you rate your driver with emoji
... replaces the existing five-star rating system with emoji. For context: after you take an Uber ride, both you — the passenger — and your driver ...

Seattle Gives OK To Rideshare Drivers Hoping To Unionize
CBS Local Seattle Gives OK To Rideshare Drivers Hoping To Unionize CBS Local SEATTLE (CBS/AP) — Seattle on Monday became the first city in ...

Driver dodges death when large metal beam pierces windshield
Authorities say the beam fell off of a flatbed truck in San Jose, crashing through the windshield and lodging itself into the driver's seat

Some Uber, Lyft drivers to unionize
Seattle on Monday became the first city to allow drivers of ride-hailing firms such as Uber and Lyft to unionize over pay and working conditions. ...