Using Oracle Stored Procedures in Powerbuilder

I need to populate a datawindow using an Oracle stored procedure. I went
through various faxline documents and found that the PBDBMS.put_line
option was not useful in my case, as I was going to return multiple
result sets based on cursor processing. I took the suggested option of
creating a package which had a stored procedure which was returning
various output variables of type table. The output variables correspond
to each column of the datawindow. I will have to define the procedure as
an RPC in the transaction object. I am having a problem with this. When
I go into Local external functions for the transaction object and try to
include the procedure, I do not find the package body listed. Also, if I
try to declare the procedure in the package, I get a compilation error.
How should the procedure be declared ?

Thanks,
Sauparna Sarkar.

0
Samita

Take a look at www.ctpartners.com and go to the tips section. In th
"secure" area, there are some files from Bruce Armstrong about how to do
the procs w/o PutLines.

The short...

Create a package with a record of the result set. Create a proc and
return the record as a reference cursor. PB then can build the DW when it
see it this way.

HTH,
Mark

--
Mark Pfeifer[Team PS]
mpfeifer@sprynet.com
Samita Das Sarkar <samies@concentric.net> wrote:
>I need to populate a datawindow using an Oracle stored procedure. I went
>through various faxline documents and found that the PBDBMS.put_line
>option was not useful in my case, as I was going to return multiple
>result sets based on cursor processing. I took the suggested option of
>creating a package which had a stored procedure which was returning
>various output variables of type table. The output variables correspond
>to each column of the datawindow. I will have to define the procedure as
>an RPC in the transaction object. I am having a problem with this. When
>I go into Local external functions for the transaction object and try to
>include the procedure, I do not find the package body listed. Also, if I
>try to declare the procedure in the package, I get a compilation error.
>How should the procedure be declared

Hi

I am not sure I fully understood the problem, but if i did, why not create a
datwindow object and define that stored procedure as a datasorese.  I find it
very convenient and use it all the time.

Good luck
Albert Fridlyand
0
Albert
5/7/1998 12:38:31 PM
Oracle doesn't have a system view that allows you to see procedures in a
package.  That's why you need to create a dummy procedure in Oracle that
calls the package.procedure.

--
Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
Samita Das Sarkar wrote in message <3551429B.8CA940F9@concentric.net>...
>I need to populate a datawindow using an Oracle stored procedure. I went
>through various faxline documents and found that the PBDBMS.put_line
>option was not useful in my case, as I was going to return multiple
>result sets based on cursor processing. I took the suggested option of
>creating a package which had a stored procedure which was returning
>various output variables of type table. The output variables correspond
>to each column of the datawindow. I will have to define the procedure as
>an RPC in the transaction object. I am having a problem with this. When
>I go into Local external functions for the transaction object and try to
>include the procedure, I do not find the package body listed. Also, if I
>try to declare the procedure in the package, I get a compilation error.
>How should the procedure be declared ?
>
>Thanks,
>Sauparna Sarkar.

0
Terry
5/7/1998 6:33:43 PM
Terry -

You do not have to create the proc in a package. I create a package for
the record and ref cursor. But I create an external proc which uses the
record inside the package. PB can see it and extract the result set.

Hmmm...

Mark

--
Mark Pfeifer[Team PS]