Using a PowerBuilder app to drive another Windows app

My users need to run a canned Windows application repeatedly with a variety
of parameters on a variety of datasets.  In order to do this, they have to
log in, choose a menu item, key in some parameters, click an OK button and
exit.  And then do it again and again and . . .

We want to set up a database with the appropriate parameters and write an
application to drive the process.  We've considered Winbatch but would
rather not introduce another development tool . . . if it's not too hard to
accomplish the task in PowerBuilder.

This has to run in a Windows 95 or NT Workstation environment.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Paul Evans
paule@pine-creek.com

0
Paul

Have you looked at the run command?
--
Andy Tauber - Team Powersoft
UDP Consulting Services

Paul Evans <paule@pine-creek.com> wrote in article
<MlPep8#Z9GA.128@forums.powersoft.com>...
> My users need to run a canned Windows application repeatedly with a
variety
> of parameters on a variety of datasets.  In order to do this, they have
> log in, choose a menu item, key in some parameters, click an OK button
and
> exit.  And then do it again and again and . . .
>
> We want to set up a database with the appropriate parameters and write an
> application to drive the process.  We've considered Winbatch but would
> rather not introduce another development tool . . . if it's not too hard
> accomplish the task in PowerBuilder.
>
> This has to run in a Windows 95 or NT Workstation environment.
>
> Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
> Paul Evans
> paule@pine-creek.com

0
Andy
4/15/1998 12:00:35 AM
Thanks for the reply.  Run will get the app started, but isn't the full
answer since Run won't choose menu items, send text or push buttons . . .
The program I need to drive is not an OLE or DDE server.  It looks like it's
going to take some Windows API functions to do this . . . I'm just not sure
which ones.

Paul Evans
paule@pine-creek.com

Andy Tauber[TeamPS] wrote in message <01bd6801$c2a6a8c0$21aacacc@andyt>...
>Have you looked at the run command?
>--
>Andy Tauber - Team Powersoft
>UDP Consulting Services
>http://www.udp.com
>

>Paul Evans <paule@pine-creek.com> wrote in article
><MlPep8#Z9GA.128@forums.powersoft.com>...
>> My users need to run a canned Windows application repeatedly with a
>variety
>> of parameters on a variety of datasets.  In order to do this, they have
>> log in, choose a menu item, key in some parameters, click an OK button
>and
>> exit.  And then do it again and again and . . .
>>
>> We want to set up a database with the appropriate parameters and write an
>> application to drive the process.  We've considered Winbatch but would
>> rather not introduce another development tool . . . if it's not too hard
>> accomplish the task in PowerBuilder.
>>
>> This has to run in a Windows 95 or NT Workstation environment.
>>
>> Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Paul Evans
>> paule@pine-creek.com

0
Paul
4/15/1998 2:29:42 PM
We have done this same thing in the past using the SQA Teamtest
product. SQA is essenttially a record and play back tool, which can
accept input from a variety of sourcces.

Mark
On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:58:03 -0400, "Paul Evans"
<paule@pine-creek.com> wrote:

>My users need to run a canned Windows application repeatedly with a variety
>of parameters on a variety of datasets.  In order to do this, they have to
>log in, choose a menu item, key in some parameters, click an OK button and
>exit.  And then do it again and again and . . .
>
>We want to set up a database with the appropriate parameters and write an
>application to drive the process.  We've considered Winbatch but would
>rather not introduce another development tool . . . if it's not too hard to
>accomplish the task in PowerBuilder.
>
>This has to run in a Windows 95 or NT Workstation environment.
>
>Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
>Paul Evans
>paule@pine-creek.com

0
mam
4/15/1998 5:12:38 PM
You can launch an app with the RUN function.  This will be sufficient if the app
can be controlled with command line paramters.

You can drive the app with DDE or OLE automation if it can act as a client

If you are stuck with building a robot to simulate pressing keys, see faxline
47760

HTH, Jerry

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:58:03 -0400,
Paul Evans <paule@pine-creek.com> wrote:
>My users need to run a canned Windows application repeatedly with a variety
>of parameters on a variety of datasets.  In order to do this, they have to
>log in, choose a menu item, key in some parameters, click an OK button and
>exit.  And then do it again and again and . . .
>
>We want to set up a database with the appropriate parameters and write an
>application to drive the process.  We've considered Winbatch but would
>rather not introduce another development tool . . . if it's not too hard to
>accomplish the task in PowerBuilder.
>
>This has to run in a Windows 95 or NT Workstation environment.
>
>Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
>Paul Evans
>paule@pine-creek.com

0
Jerry
4/15/1998 5:46:41 PM
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:29:42 -0400, in
powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Paul Evans"
<paule@pine-creek.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply.  Run will get the app started, but isn't the full
>answer since Run won't choose menu items, send text or push buttons . . .
>The program I need to drive is not an OLE or DDE server.  It looks like it's
>going to take some Windows API functions to do this . . . I'm just not sure
>which ones.

Paul,

It can be done through API, or actually by sending windows messages.
You can use PowerBuilder Send() function.

Use FindWindow and GetWindow API to get the handle of the appropriate
window.

Send WM_COMMAND  with appropriate arguments to emulate the menu
selection.  Use the Spy program, installed with Watcom C++ painter to
figure out what they are.

Use combination of WM_KEYDOWN, WM_CHAR, and WM_KEYUP to send text, one
character at a time.  Sometimes WM_KEYUP alone will work as well.  Use
the key ascii value as an argument.

However it can get kinda hairy and you might be better off looking for
some canned Windows Macro program.

HTH,
--
Boris Gasin [TeamPS]
mailto:bgasin@advent2000.com

Have a heart,
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/JCredit/eds_stry.htm
0
NOSPAM_bgasin

One PowerBuilder app triggering an event on another PowerBuilder app's Frame
Running 2 concurrent PowerBuilder apps (both MDI). Is there a way to trigger a user event on the frame of one of the apps from the other? I can get a handle to the frame window, and I am guessing that a Send() of some kind would do the trick, but I don't know which parameters to use or where the parameters for the Send() are documented. Thanks for the help. I recently had the same situation. You can use send or post to send a message to a window in another application. First you need the handle of the window you are sending the message to. Since it is in another applica...

Determining if an app is a web app or a windows app
Hi all,  I'm writing a generic utilites class and one of the methods needs to get the physical path of the application. I know Server.MapPath("~") gets the server path of the app for windows and also that Application.ExecutablePath gets the path for windows app. Now how would i determine which app is a windows app or a web app?   Thanks in advance. add a reference to system.web and then do the following  if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current == null)            {       &...

Accessing PowerBuilder from another app
I have a windows application (Oracle forms 4) from which I would like to link to a PowerBuilder app, get to a certain screen, and pass certain data through as arguments. The bit which I need help with is the linking to PB and passing data. Could anyone point me in the right direction? How do I call specific windows? Thanks, Tracy Nick, You can use Windows messages for that. You need to map a user event on the target PB window to an event in the range of pbm_custom01 to pbm_custom75. These events have 2 fixed parameters, wparam (ulong) and lparam (long) which you can use...

EAServer App using Powerbuilder
Hi, I am a PB client/server developer having a good understanding of client/server design issues. But when it comes to WEB app, I am not having a good understanding of underlining concepts. like How people do authentication in WEB(in Client server we do this by making connection to Database, but in web app this does not looks practical. A web app should use some chched conections to databasewhich every user connection should use) I would really appreciate if some one could guide me where I could find a sample application (kind of getting started using EA Server and PB not...

Deploying PowerBuilder client/server app as .NET Web app
Hi when I deploy Client/Server(stand alone) PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any error messages. --Deploy--- Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed as shown below. ---------- Deploy: Deploy of p_pbtutor_webform2 (1:50:39 PM) Checking IIS server... Generating .NET assembly file... Generating PBD files... Copying to IIS server... Deploy succeeded. ---------- Finished Deploy of p_pbt...

Deploying an app that uses PowerBuilder.Application
I'd like to use the PowerBuilder.Application COM object in my application (specifically the generateGUID function). All works fine on my development machine, but I can't seem to figure out how to deploy my application so this function will work. Anyone know what steps I get this to work on a deployed application? Thanks, John ...

Creating a dll in Powerbuilder for use by other apps???
Does anyone know how or if it is even possible to create a dll from Powerbuilder 6.5 code for use by other apps? No, you can't. You would need to use a MSVC++ or some other C/C++ IDE. steve [TeamPS] fdefranco wrote: > > Does anyone know how or if it is even possible to create a dll from > Powerbuilder 6.5 code for use by other apps? PB DLL's are not usable as DLL's in other applications. You can, however, create COM and OLE objects that can be used in other applications. Why would you want to do this though? regards, Bill Green fdefranco wrote...

Using Verisign to Sign a PowerBuilder App
I've got a code signing need for PowerBuilder 8 application. I sign the application exe according to the directions with signcode.exe and I test the signing with chktrust.exe and it comes back with succeeded. My problem is I cannot run the application anymore by double-clicking the exe. The application immediately exits without any response. Is there some problem or some special way you have to sign a PowerBuilder EXE? ...

call a second instance ofa powerbuilder app from within first app
Hi , I want to open a second powerbuilder application from within my application (I am in NVO) and get a handle for it so that I can open a window. Then close the first app. Can I simply use a run command.... Thanks, Alon Baadani You won't be able to just execute an Open() against another instance of an app. You might want to look at making your app DDE aware, then sending your second instance a DDE command that will tell it to open the window itself. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 19 Aug 2005 13:31:33 -0700, in sybase.public.powerbui...

Using Verisign to Sign a PowerBuilder App #2
Has anybody successfully signed a PB app (v7.0) with a digital id? I sign the application exe according to the directions with signcode.exe and I test the signing with chktrust.exe and it comes back with succeeded. My problem is I cannot run the application anymore by double-clicking the exe. The application immediately exits without any response. Is there some problem or some special way you have to sign a PowerBuilder EXE? ...

Using a running PowerBuilder App as an OLE Server
Does anyone know how to use a running PowerBuilder App as an OLE Server? Yes, what are you trying to do? -- Thanks Dean Jones, CPD Professional PowerTeam, Inc. www.powerobjects.com dean@outtech.com Josh Manfred <jmanfred@nomad> wrote in article <jeNPU#vH9GA.137@forums.powersoft.com>... > Does anyone know how to use a running PowerBuilder App as an OLE Server? > > > ...

incorporating help into a powerbuilder app using RoboHelp
Hey Y'all: We just got EHelp's RoboHelp 2002 r2 and we're going to be using it to incorporate into our PowerBuilder development. I've got 8.02 build 9626 with Oracle 9i. I see there's the showhelp and showpopuphelp commands but on the showhelp it only looks for compiled help (.cnt) and HTML Help (.chm). Can we not use RoboHelp's Webhelp for our app (it generates .htm files)? We were hoping to use WebHelp since you can set section 508 compliance here but not in the HTML Help. It's also not feasible to use win32 api - I'm the only one who understa...

Running PowerBuilder 7.x app under Windows ME
Anybody know what the official status is with PowerBuilder 7.0.x projects running under Windows Me??? The IS department here just updated some of our users machines to Window Me, and I can't find anything about Sybase's official position for running a PowerBuilder application on a Windows Me machine. TIA for any information on this. Jeff Gibson Intercept Solutions Nashville, TN AFAIK This is not a supported platform. According to the Installation Guide, NT 4 or higher or Win 95 or Win98 are the required platforms. If you have a problem specific to WinME, you will ...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

Web resources about - Using a PowerBuilder app to drive another Windows app - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles