Using "+" or "||"

Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04, I've gotten into the habit of using "||" in
ISQL to indicate a string concatenation.  I needed to paste my SQL
statement into the PowerBuilder script painter for some embedded SQL, and
PB didn't like the "||" very much at all.  I changed it to "+" and it
seems to be ok.  Do these two operators indicate ~exactly~ the same
thing?
0
Rick

moin,
afaik these two's are not the same!
if you're using "||" and any term is NULL then in the resultstring the term
will be ignored
if you use "+" then the resutlstring is NULL

mfg
==========================
andatec gesellschaft f�r
angewandte datentechnik mbh
Ruwoldtweg 15
22309 hamburg
---------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing. G�nther Jungbluth
gjungbluth@andatec.de
==========================

"Rick Charnes" <rick.charnes@state.ma.us> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04, I've gotten into the habit of using "||" in
> ISQL to indicate a string concatenation.  I needed to paste my SQL
> statement into the PowerBuilder script painter for some embedded SQL, and
> PB didn't like the "||" very much at all.  I changed it to "+" and it
> seems to be ok.  Do these two operators indicate ~exactly~ the same
> thing?

0
GJungbluth
2/21/2000 9:07:38 AM
You are comparing two different "languages" here: PowerScript and SQL.

SQL's string concatenation operator is || (at least for DBMS which
conform to the ANSI Standard, MS still uses +)

PowerScript's string concatenation operator is +

Regards
Thomas

Rick Charnes wrote:

> Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04, I've gotten into the habit of using "||" in
> ISQL to indicate a string concatenation.  I needed to paste my SQL
> statement into the PowerBuilder script painter for some embedded SQL, and
> PB didn't like the "||" very much at all.  I changed it to "+" and it
> seems to be ok.  Do these two operators indicate ~exactly~ the same
> thing?
0
Thomas
2/21/2000 3:24:58 PM
Right.  So how can I use SQL's || operator when my SQL is embedded inside
my Powerscript?  Powerscript doesn't seem to like || very much...
Thanks.

In article <38B158CA.452794F0@tps-labs.com>, Thomas.Kellerer@tps-labs.com
says...
> You are comparing two different "languages" here: PowerScript and SQL.
>
> SQL's string concatenation operator is || (at least for DBMS which
> conform to the ANSI Standard, MS still uses +)
>
> PowerScript's string concatenation operator is +
>
> Regards
> Thomas
>

> Rick Charnes wrote:
> >
> > Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04, I've gotten into the habit of using "||" in
> > ISQL to indicate a string concatenation.  I needed to paste my SQL
> > statement into the PowerBuilder script painter for some embedded SQL, and
> > PB didn't like the "||" very much at all.  I changed it to "+" and it
> > seems to be ok.  Do these two operators indicate ~exactly~ the same
> > thing?

0
Rick
2/21/2000 3:26:37 PM
As soon as you have embedded SQL you should be able to use the || if the
DBMS of the current database connection uses that operator.

The following code works for me (being connected to an Oracle DB):

string ls_FullName

SELECT name||', '||first_name
INTO :ls_FullName
FROM person
WHERE personid = 'XYZ'
USING SQLCA;

if sqlca.sqlcode = 0 then
   MessageBox("Fullname", ls_FullName)
else
   MessageBox("Error", sqlca.sqlerrtext)
end if

Regards
Thomas

Rick Charnes wrote:

> Right.  So how can I use SQL's || operator when my SQL is embedded inside
> my Powerscript?  Powerscript doesn't seem to like || very much...
> Thanks.
>
> In article <38B158CA.452794F0@tps-labs.com>, Thomas.Kellerer@tps-labs.com
> says...
> > You are comparing two different "languages" here: PowerScript and SQL.
> >
> > SQL's string concatenation operator is || (at least for DBMS which
> > conform to the ANSI Standard, MS still uses +)
> >
> > PowerScript's string concatenation operator is +
> >
> > Regards
> > Thomas
> >

> > Rick Charnes wrote:
> > >
> > > Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04, I've gotten into the habit of using "||" in
> > > ISQL to indicate a string concatenation.  I needed to paste my SQL
> > > statement into the PowerBuilder script painter for some embedded SQL, and
> > > PB didn't like the "||" very much at all.  I changed it to "+" and it
> > > seems to be ok.  Do these two operators indicate ~exactly~ the same
> > > thing?

It's not the fall that kills you - it's the sudden stop
0
Thomas
2/21/2000 3:33:38 PM
Yes, your code works for me as well, using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04.  I was
thrown off by the fact that the Powerscript painter shades all occurences
of the || operator inside embedded SQL in a maroon color, which I usually
associate to mean something is wrong.  Any idea what it's try to tell me?

In article <38B15AD2.CB70E9F5@tps-labs.com>, Thomas.Kellerer@tps-labs.com
says...
> As soon as you have embedded SQL you should be able to use the || if the
> DBMS of the current database connection uses that operator.
>
> The following code works for me (being connected to an Oracle DB):
>
> string ls_FullName
>
> SELECT name||', '||first_name
> INTO :ls_FullName
> FROM person
> WHERE personid = 'XYZ'
> USING SQLCA;
>
> if sqlca.sqlcode = 0 then
>    MessageBox("Fullname", ls_FullName)
> else
>    MessageBox("Error", sqlca.sqlerrtext)
> end if
>
> Regards
> Thomas
>

> Rick Charnes wrote:
> >
> > Right.  So how can I use SQL's || operator when my SQL is embedded inside
> > my Powerscript?  Powerscript doesn't seem to like || very much...
> > Thanks.
> >
> > In article <38B158CA.452794F0@tps-labs.com>, Thomas.Kellerer@tps-labs.com
> > says...
> > > You are comparing two different "languages" here: PowerScript and SQL.
> > >
> > > SQL's string concatenation operator is || (at least for DBMS which
> > > conform to the ANSI Standard, MS still uses +)
> > >
> > > PowerScript's string concatenation operator is +
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Thomas

0
Rick
2/21/2000 4:29:27 PM
The maroon shading is just a syntax highlighting quirk -- your code should
compile OK with '||'.

--
pbm_hopethishelps,
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

"Rick Charnes" <rick.charnes@state.ma.us> wrote in message
> Yes, your code works for me as well, using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04.  I was
> thrown off by the fact that the Powerscript painter shades all occurences
> of the || operator inside embedded SQL in a maroon color, which I usually
> associate to mean something is wrong.  Any idea what it's try to tell me?
>
> In article <38B15AD2.CB70E9F5@tps-labs.com>, Thomas.Kellerer@tps-labs.com
> says...
> > As soon as you have embedded SQL you should be able to use the || if the
> > DBMS of the current database connection uses that operator.
> >
> > The following code works for me (being connected to an Oracle DB):
> >
> > string ls_FullName
> >
> > SELECT name||', '||first_name
> > INTO :ls_FullName
> > FROM person
> > WHERE personid = 'XYZ'
> > USING SQLCA;
> >
> > if sqlca.sqlcode = 0 then
> >    MessageBox("Fullname", ls_FullName)
> > else
> >    MessageBox("Error", sqlca.sqlerrtext)
> > end if
> >
> > Regards
> > Thomas
> >

> > Rick Charnes wrote:
> > >
> > > Right.  So how can I use SQL's || operator when my SQL is embedded
inside
> > > my Powerscript?  Powerscript doesn't seem to like || very much...
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > In article <38B158CA.452794F0@tps-labs.com>,
Thomas.Kellerer@tps-labs.com
> > > says...
SQL.

SQL, and

0
Roy

"Using" or "With"

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

double quote

"To" and "From" missing

replace the "." with a ","

Replacing "\\" with "\"

"Me" is better than "You"

"JROC" / "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ"
I just started a new contract and the tech lead told me that he wanted me to become familiar with something called "JROC" (among some other tools). I've been searching the web and I haven't found any dev tool called "JROC." Based on the name of the tool, it sounds like it encapsulates some javascript functionality. I have tried searching for different spellings - "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ" but I haven't found any matches. Have you ever heard of a dev tool by this name?...

"SSL" "Mail" and "Code"
Does anybody know of any discussions taking place within Mozilla regarding these 3 bits in the certificate manager? Perhaps I've missed something in the discussions here. In any case, I think a new mechanism for indicating trust w/in the Mozilla apps are needed. Take for example the "StartCom Certification Authority" root. The Certificate Manager (I'm using Firefox on Windows) says it can identify web sites, email users, and code yet the cert itself says it can only be used for signing other certs (essentially, that is). At a minimum this is confusing but I have...

pulling out "a","an", "the" from beginning of strings
I need to pull out articles "a", "an", and "the" from the beginning of title strings so that they sort properly in MySQL. What is the best way to accomplish that if I have a single $scalar with the whole title in it? Thanks, Tim -- Tim McGeary tim.mcgeary@lehigh.edu --=-A0sE7VNm/n2AMknlC2yn Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:04, Tim McGeary wrote: > I need to pull out articles "a", "an", and "the" from the beginning of=20 >...

Web resources about - Using "+" or "||" - sybase.powerbuilder.general