Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using version
7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10.

Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10?
What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a
lot of bugs?

Best regards,
Ronald Ommundsen
e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

1
Ronald

Ron;

 If you have any hope of running the applications in the future on XP, W2003
or soon to be W2006 (LongHorn) you will have to jump over to UniCode - ie
PB10. So personally, I would recommend starting with PB 10.0.1 which is what
I am using and seems to be very stable for us.

My $0.02 worth (Canadian)!
Regards ... Chris

"Ronald Ommundsen" <ronald.ommundsen@gard.no> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using
version
> 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10?
> What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a
> lot of bugs?
>
> Best regards,
> Ronald Ommundsen
> e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

1
Chris
2/1/2005 2:47:39 PM
Keep in mind that PB10 does not support Windows NT or Windows 98.  If any of
your computers are running these older operating systems, you'll need to
upgrade (or replace) them first.

On the other hand, if you have Windows 2000 or better on your machines,
PB10.0.1 seems to be pretty stable.

Pat

> Hi,
>
> Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using
> version
> 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10?
> What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a
> lot of bugs?
>
> Best regards,
> Ronald Ommundsen
> e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

1
Pat
2/1/2005 4:01:57 PM
Pat;

 Does anyone still use those O/S's <lol>?

regards .. Chris

"Pat Madigan" <patm@_nospamforme_gscutah.com> wrote in message
> Keep in mind that PB10 does not support Windows NT or Windows 98.  If any
of
> your computers are running these older operating systems, you'll need to
> upgrade (or replace) them first.
>
> On the other hand, if you have Windows 2000 or better on your machines,
> PB10.0.1 seems to be pretty stable.
>
> Pat
>
> "Ronald Ommundsen" <ronald.ommundsen@gard.no> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using
> > version
> > 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10.
> >
> > Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or
10?
> > What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there
> > lot of bugs?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ronald Ommundsen
> > e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

0
Chris
2/1/2005 5:28:44 PM
Regrettably, we do, and will for quite some time.  $$$$$$

"Chris Pollach" <PollachC@SCC-CSC.gc.ca> wrote in message
> Pat;
>
> Does anyone still use those O/S's <lol>?
>
> regards .. Chris
>

> "Pat Madigan" <patm@_nospamforme_gscutah.com> wrote in message
>> Keep in mind that PB10 does not support Windows NT or Windows 98.  If any
> of
>> your computers are running these older operating systems, you'll need to
>> upgrade (or replace) them first.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you have Windows 2000 or better on your machines,
>> PB10.0.1 seems to be pretty stable.
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> "Ronald Ommundsen" <ronald.ommundsen@gard.no> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using
>> > version
>> > 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or
> 10?
>> > What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there
>> > lot of bugs?
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Ronald Ommundsen
>> > e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

0
Pat
2/1/2005 7:32:44 PM
My PB 5.0.04 applications and development system run fine on
Windows 2000 - do you think they will still run on the next
version of windows?
> Keep in mind that PB10 does not support Windows NT or
> Windows 98.  If any of  your computers are running these
> older operating systems, you'll need to  upgrade (or
> replace) them first.
>
> On the other hand, if you have Windows 2000 or better on
> your machines,  PB10.0.1 seems to be pretty stable.
>
> Pat
>
> "Ronald Ommundsen" <ronald.ommundsen@gard.no> wrote in
> message  news:41ff9292$1@forums-2-dub...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently
> > we are using  version
> > 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or
> 10. >
> > Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for
> > version 9 or 10? What is the current release of version
> > 10, and is it stable or is there a lot of bugs?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ronald Ommundsen
> > e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

0
TPatel
2/1/2005 7:56:47 PM
 You are lucky ... I have a PB 6.5 application that blows up because it is
16 bit and when handling Blobs > 64M "toasts" itself. The same application
works great in PB 8.x and 9.x (32 bit). So it really depends on your
feature(s) you use.

 You can try the application on XP - you might get lucky.

<TPatel> wrote in message news:41ffdefb.55c5.1681692777@sybase.com...
> My PB 5.0.04 applications and development system run fine on
> Windows 2000 - do you think they will still run on the next
> version of windows?
> > Keep in mind that PB10 does not support Windows NT or
> > Windows 98.  If any of  your computers are running these
> > older operating systems, you'll need to  upgrade (or
> > replace) them first.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you have Windows 2000 or better on
> > your machines,  PB10.0.1 seems to be pretty stable.
> >
> > Pat
> >
> > "Ronald Ommundsen" <ronald.ommundsen@gard.no> wrote in
> > message  news:41ff9292$1@forums-2-dub...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently
> > > we are using  version
> > > 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or
> > 10. >
> > > Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for
> > > version 9 or 10? What is the current release of version
> > > 10, and is it stable or is there a lot of bugs?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Ronald Ommundsen
> > > e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

0
Chris
2/1/2005 8:26:59 PM
Even more basic, there are 6.5.0 apps that choke on the newer version of ODBC
that came out in a SP for W2K, and came standard with XP.

Bottom line is, without extensive knowledge of your app, there are plenty of
reasons to think your app might not work in your *current* configuration, let
alone a future one. You're definitely taking your chances by raising the
foundation of one of the sides of your house, while leaving the other side
alone.

Good luck,

On 1 Feb 2005 12:26:59 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Chris Pollach <PollachC@SCC-CSC.gc.ca> wrote:
> You are lucky ... I have a PB 6.5 application that blows up because it is
>16 bit and when handling Blobs > 64M "toasts" itself. The same application
>works great in PB 8.x and 9.x (32 bit). So it really depends on your
>feature(s) you use.
>
> You can try the application on XP - you might get lucky.
>

><TPatel> wrote in message news:41ffdefb.55c5.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> My PB 5.0.04 applications and development system run fine on
>> Windows 2000 - do you think they will still run on the next
>> version of windows?
>> > Keep in mind that PB10 does not support Windows NT or
>> > Windows 98.  If any of  your computers are running these
>> > older operating systems, you'll need to  upgrade (or
>> > replace) them first.
>> >
>> > On the other hand, if you have Windows 2000 or better on
>> > your machines,  PB10.0.1 seems to be pretty stable.
>> >
>> > Pat
>> >
>> > "Ronald Ommundsen" <ronald.ommundsen@gard.no> wrote in
>> > message  news:41ff9292$1@forums-2-dub...

>> > 10. >

*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
2/1/2005 8:38:10 PM
I think the migrate to PB9 is much easier than the migrate to PB10 - due to
the Unicode issues.  Both 9.0.2 and 10.0.1 seem to be in fairly good shape -
there are always bugs and fixes - but the version you are on (some version
of PB7) has its share of bugs and fixes as well.

Tim.

> Hi,
>
> Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using
version
> 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10?
> What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a
> lot of bugs?
>
> Best regards,
> Ronald Ommundsen
> e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

0
Timothy
2/3/2005 3:34:39 PM
Just to be nosey <g>, have you run into specific problems with Unicode, or are
you just perceiving that people in general are running into Unicode issues? I
actually expected more problems with Unicode, and the early betas were horrid
experiences with respect to ANSI/DBCS and Unicode issues, but things got pretty
smooth (for me, at least) by GA. Things aren't 100%, but they are ten times
better than *I* was expecting. (Maybe I'm just a pessimist. <g>)

Just curious,

Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the dying-of... techno-kitten

On 3 Feb 2005 07:34:39 -0800,
Timothy Madsen <timothy_madsen@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I think the migrate to PB9 is much easier than the migrate to PB10 - due to
>the Unicode issues.  Both 9.0.2 and 10.0.1 seem to be in fairly good shape -
>there are always bugs and fixes - but the version you are on (some version
>of PB7) has its share of bugs and fixes as well.
>
>Tim.
>
>"Ronald Ommundsen" <ronald.ommundsen@gard.no> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our company is going to upgrade PowerBuilder. Currently we are using
>version
>> 7, and we are going to upgrade either to version 9 or 10.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations if we should go for version 9 or 10?
>> What is the current release of version 10, and is it stable or is there a
>> lot of bugs?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ronald Ommundsen
>> e-mail:  ronald.ommundsen@gard.no

*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

The Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0
All, I am looking for any information you would have on the Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0. We are scoping out initial effort estimate documents and workplans. thanks- Brian I would start by searching this ng. Many folks have replied to questions regarding migrations from 8 to 9, 7 to 9, 6 to 9 etc. The notes may not answer all your questions but still should give you some valuable insight HTH Greg <Brian Hauss> wrote in message news:40c09b93.4a25.1681692777@sybase.com... > All, > I am looking for any information y...

update powerbuilder 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5
hi, I need update powerbuilder ver 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5. by the way, my company already buy pb ver 10.00 and need to update to ver 10.5. the question : if update pb from ver 10.00 to ver 10.5, is it free of charge ? if no, How I found the price ? best regards, alim 10.5 is considered a major release, you would need to purchase an upgrade. This is what I found on Sybase's own eshop: http://eshop.sybase.com/eshop/buy_detail?id=92023&prodId=9281&bid=17856 You may find better through an online merchant, partner or local retailer. This is also the Ent...

Moving from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 10
Hi, I have an application developed in PB6.5 and due to changing requirements application has to be switched to PB10. There when I am trying to regenerate the contents of my PBL, it is giving error stating: C0042 : cannot compile without valid database signon. This error is coming for few windows but not for the functions I have made in my pbl. It is working perfectly fine for pb6.5. Can you please help me on this. Thanks in advance. Manich First you must to connect to the database by a profile, continue migrate your app. Karla <Manich Tripathi> escribi...

Announcing the PowerBuilder 10 Public Beta Program!Join the PowerBuilder 10.0 Beta Team!
Join the PowerBuilder 10.0 Beta Team! PowerBuilder is getting ready for the 10.0 release and would like to invite you to join the Beta Team! The exciting new developments you will have early access to as a member of the Beta Team include: Unicode support DataWindow.NET Object Oriented Modeling with PowerDesigner plug-in UDDI search ADO.NET support NETXML Web Datawindow Your participation in the beta test cycle is an opportunity to provide valuable feedback to engineering regarding the quality and capabilities of this release. As a member of the team, you will learn from the e...

PowerBuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0.1
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

Powerbuilder 9.0 vs. Powerbuilder 8.0
What is the difference in Powerbilder 9.0 and 8.0? I would like to point out that the Appeon newsgroup is monitored by Sybase and Appeon engineering staff who are very knowledgeable about Appeon issues. Question that are purely PowerBuilder-related are best answered by the staff and users of the PowerBuilder newsgroup: sybase.public.powerbuilder.XXXX. Please post to the appropriate newsgroup so you receive the help you desire. Thanks, Julie Jiang Appeon Corporation <dburris@onesolution.com> wrote in message news:40589011.2717.846930886@sybase.com... > What is the diffe...

Powerbuilder terminate when open the library painter in PowerBuilder 9
From previous sharing, I have tried to remove the entries in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\9.0\Layout\Default But it does not work for me. I have tried to re-install PowerBuilder but same result. When PB terminate, it display the following: AppName: pb90.exe App Ver: 9.0.0.5507 ModName:msvcrt.dll ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 000360cb Does anyone has the solution? Thanks. L K wrote: > From previous sharing, I have tried to remove the entries in > registry: > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\9.0\Layout\Default > >...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

PowerBuilder 9.0.1: Connect to Oracle Using the PowerBuilder Native Driver
Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be related to our production issue. http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397 http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896 Thanks in advance, John johnshi@yahoo.com The first one only affects the development environment, and the second one is only applicable to datawindows build with the old PBDBMS method. What problems are you having? On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote: >Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be >related to our production i...

Different behavior of " encrypt.dll " in PowerBuilder 8 and in Powerbuilder 10.2
Different behavior of " encrypt.dll " in PowerBuilder 8 and in Powerbuilder 10.2 1.. Will PB 10.2 support encrypt.dll ? 2.. My code was working in PB 8 but in PB 10 it is not working I don't know what is issue Like if I give password in PB 8 "mike_" it is working fine but same password I give in PB 10 then it is not working. Is any issue with Unicode ? code of declaration of external fn. private function ulong n_cst_ssisecurity32_CPP_CONSTRUCTOR() library 'encrypt.dll' private subroutine n_cst_ssisecurity...

Different behavior of " encrypt.dll " in PowerBuilder 8 and in Powerbuilder 10.2
Different behavior of " encrypt.dll " in PowerBuilder 8 and in Powerbuilder 10.2 1.. Will PB 10.2 support encrypt.dll ? 2.. My code was working in PB 8 but in PB 10 it is not working I don't know what is issue Like if I give password in PB 8 "mike_" it is working fine but same password I give in PB 10 then it is not working. Is any issue with Unicode ? code of declaration of external fn. private function ulong n_cst_ssisecurity32_CPP_CONSTRUCTOR() library 'encrypt.dll' private subroutine n_cst_ssisecurity32_C...

Web resources about - Upgrade to PowerBuilder 9 or PowerBuilder 10? - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles