To use or not to use (web services / EAServer)

We (TSD) are developing client/server applications with PB for many years
now (starting with PB 3.x). Now we are using PB 8.03 with ASA 8.02.

In our PB applications we do have some business objects in seperate
libraries. They consist of a datastore with a lot of functions. Functions do
sometimes call visible objects.

The last few years we see that users are more and more asking for Internet
and PDA solutions. To prevent double source codes we like to have the same
objects/functions for the 'old' client/server information and for the
internet and PDA solutions.

In our opinion there are at least three possible solutions:

1. EAServer
2. Webservices
3. Stored Procedures

We started with Stored Procedures because that is something we understand,
is easy to use and did not have any costs for us and our customers. But that
choose is made by a lack of knowhow how the both other methods are working
and what the advantages and disadvantages are of each of them..

To make a right choose for TSD(!) we have to look to our end users. Most of
our customer are standalone (�75%) with a relative low budget. They can not
afford a high spencive solution.

Can somebody give us an advice what method we have to use in our situation ?
Are there any White papers to read ?

Thanks

Hans Groeneveld

TSD Automatisering

0
Hans
7/5/2005 8:21:05 AM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 15 followers. Follow

I personally think the kicker in your question is the PDA requirement.

I was in a PocketBuilder pre-TechWave course and two pB architects/evangelists
were leading it. The time came for the web services chapter, and the one got up
and started the chapter. As he was getting visibly enthused about the topic and
the capability of the product, the other was shifting nervously. I may have even
heard grinding of teeth. After the chapter was over, it may have been in a
conversation during the break, the second instructor elaborated on his unease.
Basically, his experience was that "wireless connectivity" was still a pipe
dream, and applications that tried to use it needed extra heavy logic to deal
with signal loss, bandwidth constraints, etc... and they also had to have very
limited user expectations. PocketBuilder and ASA on PDAs are very heavily
architected for disconnected use, and with good reason.

My information is likely dated, but the other consideration for PDA is that I
don't think any PDA-compatible ASA deployment supports stored procedures. You
might want to check in more suitable forums about that one.

That being said, I think it's a question of how you want to develop it. If you
develop a well architected component in PowerBuilder, you'll be able to embed it
in a client-server app, in a PocketBuilder app, or deploy it to EAServer,
optionally setting it up as a web service. With a third party product from
Sunlly, you could deploy it to other app servers, which you'll also be able to
do with a Sybase solution when 10.5 comes out.

The three options you list assume connectivity, which might be a big assumption
for a PDA. My suggestion would be to plan for the flexibility you need.

Good luck,

On 5 Jul 2005 01:21:05 -0700,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Hans Groeneveld <h.groeneNOveld@tsdSPAM.nl> wrote:
>We (TSD) are developing client/server applications with PB for many years
>now (starting with PB 3.x). Now we are using PB 8.03 with ASA 8.02.
>
>In our PB applications we do have some business objects in seperate
>libraries. They consist of a datastore with a lot of functions. Functions do
>sometimes call visible objects.
>
>The last few years we see that users are more and more asking for Internet
>and PDA solutions. To prevent double source codes we like to have the same
>objects/functions for the 'old' client/server information and for the
>internet and PDA solutions.
>
>In our opinion there are at least three possible solutions:
>
>1. EAServer
>2. Webservices
>3. Stored Procedures
>
>We started with Stored Procedures because that is something we understand,
>is easy to use and did not have any costs for us and our customers. But that
>choose is made by a lack of knowhow how the both other methods are working
>and what the advantages and disadvantages are of each of them..
>
>To make a right choose for TSD(!) we have to look to our end users. Most of
>our customer are standalone (�75%) with a relative low budget. They can not
>afford a high spencive solution.
>
>Can somebody give us an advice what method we have to use in our situation ?
>Are there any White papers to read ?
>

>Thanks
>

>Hans Groeneveld
>
>TSD Automatisering

*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************

User Manual
===========
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures page updated June 12/2005
See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

Need help with deciding to use or not to use web services in a web application
Hi all, I haven't used web services at all in my web application development and now I was asked to use web services in my web application.  I was a novice in ASP.NET since I'm just changed to ASP.NET from a Java background. I used the tutorial on MSDN to create the DAL (which is a .xsd file type) and the BLL layers and it works pretty well for what the web application suppose to be but since I was asked to add a web service layer to this, I wonder how to do it?  And I wonder if it is necessary to have an additional layer?  What is the pros and cons for adding the we...

When should you use web services and when should you use ObjectDataSource?
I am unclear as to when it would make sense to encapsulate your database queries in a web service and when you would choose to use an ObjectDataSource control? I have an app that uses a web page to display data from an sql server 2005 database. Up until now I have been using an SqlDatasource with in-line sql queries. This is very direct and clear interms of binding and dta column names and feeding parameters into the datasource queries. However, in my attempts to align with larger scale implementations I thought it was sensible to consider web services and data access layers. However, I am...

Synchronous use of a web service is useful?
I was curious if a web service adds any value when its called 'synchronously' from an ASP.Net application. Both the web service and ASP.Net application are within an enterprise's internal network and on separate web servers. I would think the web service would add no value, but  instead lower the performance in above scenario. True or false?sun21170 Yes.I agree with you. It seems that the only time when a 'synchronous' web service would provide value is when one or both of the following features are needed:n-tier architecture needs to implemented. n-tier developm...

Using ATLAS without using Web Services
1. Is it possible to use ATLAS by some way so that we dont need to create any web services.2. is their any way to create a dummy page on the server and put all the functions into it, which we need to call through ajax on server side and then call those pages with some kind of query parameter so that it can understand which method or function need to be called and thus returns the result asynchronously.thanks and regardsgoru 1. Absolutely, though you'll find your self writing a lot more javascript, one way to do it is using the objects/functions defined in the AtlasRuntime.js, which act as ...

How to use Struct in Web Services using VS2005
Hi All, I am developing a web service which recieves the information from the client application and will store those on the SQL Server database. For this purpose, I would like to use C#.Net "struct". This is not visible from the client application. My question is how to make this struct as visible for client application. Please Help me. Code: public class Service : System.Web.Services.WebService {public Service () { [WebMethod]public string sampleMethod() {return "Sample Text"; } public struct testStruct {public string strOne;public string strTwo; } ...

Changing URL in web.config for web service
I added a web reference to asmx file. In web.config - it adds - undefinedadd key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test/CoreServices.asmx I then change it to <add key="CoreService.CoreServices" value="http://test2/CoreServices.asmx"/> But CoreService.CoreServices still looks for http://test/CoreServices.asmx.  What else do i have to change? I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ I think CoreService.CoreServices are hard coded into the source code.  Girijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/ So no ...

What would I used if I didn't use a Web Service?
I have several maybe even dozens eventually of legacy systems that need to export XML so that a webconsumer can read them all and put them all in one document. I want to read from system A, B, & C...none of them are the same OS (and assume for a moment they can build a web service to export to the XML schema I am using), and they must all be retrieved into one web page.  I do not have access to all of the directly, but have people on the other side who can build a service.  What do you think?  Is this a good candidate to use Web Services?  I don't know what else I wo...

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { ...

To use Naming Service...or not to use Naming Service?
That is my question. I want to use clustering and load balancing on my jag servers, so I'm not sure if I need to do this or if the connection object handles this "behind the scenes". In PB does the connection object use the nameservice to do this for you, or do you have to use the JaguarORB.Resolve_Initial_References(), and narrow everything down to the component to take advantage of this? What is "the best way" to instantiate Jag components in PB if you want clustering, fail-over, and load balancing? Thanks for any help. Erik T. The connection ...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

send data from web service to local computer, using web services.
hii have a web application, on web server , and a database on my local computer in my office.i want to send data from my web pages to my local database.i think one way is using web services.i used that, but it has permission errors.that web service have this error :  Server Error in '/in' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30180: Keyword does not name a type.Source Err...

use Amazon Web Service and also use Paypal in My Asp.net page?
 hi frnds..can anyone konw how to use Amazon web service in my asp.net pagei have simple web page n it contain textbox and button, when i'm input sm text n click on button it will directly search in amazon web siten i have also want to use paypal for payment criteria....if any one know then pls tell me how i cn implement tht in Asp.net!!! thnx in Adv.........    This article shows how you can consume Amazon's E-Commerce Service(ECS) with ASP.NET - http://www.sitepoint.com/print/amazon-web-services-asp-netFor help with integrating Paypal, check the source code of...

Should I use 'using' for every web service call on my client app?
Is the following code of any benefit, when calling a web service OR can it actually add to the overhead: using (localhost.Service sv =  new localhost.Service()) {  //Call the web method  }sun21170...

change a web reference to a web service in the config file of an object used by a windows service
In my solution (visual studios 2005), I have a windows service and a business object.  The business object has a web reference to a web service.  I maid the web reference dynamic and it created an applicationSettings section in the appconfig:<configuration>           <applicationSettings>        <Objects.Properties.Settings>            <setting name="Objects_LookupService_auth"        &nbs...

Web resources about - To use or not to use (web services / EAServer) - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Public Broadcasting Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... such as PBS NewsHour , Masterpiece , and Frontline . Since the mid-2000s, Roper polls commissioned by PBS have consistently placed the service ...

George, Charlotte missing at Xmas service
George, Charlotte missing at Xmas service The Australian (blog) Prince George and Princess Charlotte stayed inside as the royal family attended ...

The Beatles arrive on Apple Music, other streaming services
... Beatles’ catalog has arrived on Apple Music on this Christmas Eve. The Fab Four’s music is also playing on other major music streaming services, ...

New online service seeks to shake up Seattle's office leasing market
... tools, such as a new one called Crelow. The Minneapolis-based startup, which launched in Seattle Wednesday, bills itself as matchmaking service ...

The Beatles discography will be on streaming services as of Christmas Eve
... any music fan can get excited about. As of 12:01 AM local time on Christmas Eve, The Beatles' entire discography will be on streaming services ...

Amazon is secretly testing its own air freight service in Europe
Amazon has been secretly operating its own air freight service in Europe ahead of Christmas, The Evening Standard reports . The air freight ...

Favorite apps and services of 2015
Save time and money with our Windows editor's favorites: Android Pay, Google Fi, PlayStation Vue, and Windows 10.

College Financial Service Provider Higher One To Pay $28M In Fines, Refunds For Misleading Students
Higher One, Inc. promises to help students reach their goal of achieving a degree by providing money management and refund services. But federal ...

Google Testing Password-Free Log-ins to Online Services
Google's goal is to curb phishing and other attacks that involve the use of passwords to gain access to accounts and exploit them.

US television hit by online services
Majority of cable channels lost viewers hitting media shares in 2015