The future of powerbuilder #3

Hi, all

I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems powerbuilder
developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what is the future of
PowerBuilder?

Taoge

"Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems
> powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what
> is the future of PowerBuilder?

http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html

Dmitri.

0
Dmitri
5/23/2006 6:17:43 AM
Dmitri, do You like the PB future?

"Dmitri" <NOdimSPAM@mail15.com> skrev i meddelandet
> "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems
>> powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what
>> is the future of PowerBuilder?
>
> http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html
>
> Dmitri.

0
Nutshell
5/23/2006 6:51:27 AM
I am a PB developer since 1996. Around 1999 we were thinking (and
discussing) about the future of PB. We were afraid.

My opinion is that you should be afraid of your company plans (like I am
afraid of our company plans).

85% of our products are developed using PB 7. We also sell products
developed using PB5!

So, it's not Sybase that "may" not provide us with tools and enhancements.
It's us that we don't take advantage of them.

"Dmitri" <NOdimSPAM@mail15.com> wrote in message
> "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems
>> powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what
>> is the future of PowerBuilder?
>
> http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future/powerbuilder_s_future.html
>
> Dmitri.

0
Papadomichelakis
5/23/2006 8:52:06 AM
Like any mature product it you often hear that there is no future of it. Yes
it seems like that past several years have been slower for new clients for
me (I'm a consultant) but there are still new customers out there to be
found. As someone else said it is a company decision and often times I have
seen the wrong people making technology decisions. The best thing is to show
a company, thru example, how productive the product is and the new features
that are being added by Sybase. They watch technology and try and make
PowerBuilder use new technologies  that make sense.

Just my opinion of course but I still enjoy the product.

--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Branick Consulting, Inc.

"Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, all
>
> I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems
> powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what
> is the future of PowerBuilder?
>
> Thanks

0
Larry
5/24/2006 2:25:37 AM
 The trouble is that we need more people demonstrating PB to the Technology
Decision makers and providing PB education. Neither of which can rarely  be
found these days!

"Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]" <LCermak@branick-inc.com> wrote in message
> Like any mature product it you often hear that there is no future of it.
Yes
> it seems like that past several years have been slower for new clients for
> me (I'm a consultant) but there are still new customers out there to be
> found. As someone else said it is a company decision and often times I
have
> seen the wrong people making technology decisions. The best thing is to
show
> a company, thru example, how productive the product is and the new
features
> that are being added by Sybase. They watch technology and try and make
> PowerBuilder use new technologies  that make sense.
>
> Just my opinion of course but I still enjoy the product.
>
> --
>
> Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
> Branick Consulting, Inc.
> www.branick-inc.com
> EAServer & PowerBuilder Consulting & Training
> EAServer and PowerBuilder Computer Based Training Courses
>

> "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, all
> >
> > I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems
> > powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know what
> > is the future of PowerBuilder?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Chris
5/24/2006 11:45:48 AM
We've been fighting that battle for years. It's always the same.  I';m sure
you've seen my rants about the wrong people making technology decisions. I
won't repeat it but I think you get the point.

--

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message

> The trouble is that we need more people demonstrating PB to the Technology
> Decision makers and providing PB education. Neither of which can rarely
> be
> found these days!
>

> "Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]" <LCermak@branick-inc.com> wrote in message
>> Like any mature product it you often hear that there is no future of it.
> Yes
>> it seems like that past several years have been slower for new clients
>> for
>> me (I'm a consultant) but there are still new customers out there to be
>> found. As someone else said it is a company decision and often times I
> have
>> seen the wrong people making technology decisions. The best thing is to
> show
>> a company, thru example, how productive the product is and the new
> features
>> that are being added by Sybase. They watch technology and try and make
>> PowerBuilder use new technologies  that make sense.
>>
>> Just my opinion of course but I still enjoy the product.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>> Branick Consulting, Inc.
>> www.branick-inc.com
>> EAServer & PowerBuilder Consulting & Training
>> EAServer and PowerBuilder Computer Based Training Courses
>>

>> "Taoge" <luxiaotao@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, all
>> >
>> > I do like powerbuilder, especially the DataWindow, but it seems
>> > powerbuilder developer is not popular recent days. I'd like to know
>> > what
>> > is the future of PowerBuilder?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
Larry

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hello Every one!!, Could any body tell me for how long the demand for powerbuilder programmer exists... the recent trend shows everything is going on to be web dependendent. I'm bit worried ab't security of my job.. i'm with PB since the release of Ver.4.0.. and bit reluctant to leave PB now. could anybody suggest me whether should i move on to Java or simillar techonologies or should i get along with PB?? Please respond to me... Thanks!! Regards, Dhawan. It never hurts to expand your skillset by picking up new languages. PowerBuilder is still going strong, Syb...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>... >Hi, > >Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - >The Future of Powerbuilder? >Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping EAS which PB 7.0 forms part of. Again I was at Sybase TechW...

Future of Powerbuilder
Hi, Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 - The Future of Powerbuilder? Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship! Thanks ComputerWorld!!! What a piece of .... I haven't read the article, but I don't have to. I had a subscription to ComputerWorld once. ComputerWorld was one of the biggest fans of the Apple is dead movement. Guess they were wrong there... The journalism in that magazine is terrible. Over the course of a year subscription, I read most of the articles for about six months. Then I threw it away until the subscription ...

Powerbuilder #3
Can anyone tell me why when I retrieve a lot of data via a datastore(100,000+) the memory starts to be eaten away???? Powerbuilder 6.5 running in Dev. Mode and on Win95/NT Workstation. Thanks in advance. What happens with your memory when you try to remember 100,000 different things :-)) ? Ken <ken@not1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:Q7QeuXUg#GA.296@forums.sybase.com... > Can anyone tell me why when I retrieve a lot of data via a > datastore(100,000+) the > memory starts to be eaten away???? In article <Q7QeuXUg#GA.296@forums.sybase.com>, ...

Powerbuilder 7 and Visigenic ORB 3.3
Hello, i use the JaguarORB to communicate with a VisigenicORB 3.3. But i have some issues with that. 1. The first call to an CORBA-Object results in a CORBA_TRANSIENT error message. The second call to the same Object works fine. I have traced the GIOP-Communtication. The JaguarORB sends a LocateRequest for the Object. The VisigenicORB sends a LocateReply with OBJECT_FORWARD-Message. Then i get the ErrorMessage in PB. Is that a bug in the JaguarORB? Can anybody help me? 2. I don't get the Error in the ERROR-EVENT of the JaguarORB. I get it in the SystemError-Event. ...

Web resources about - The future of powerbuilder #3 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles