The Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0

All,
I am looking for any information you would have on the
Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to
PowerBuilder 9.0.

We are scoping out initial effort estimate documents and
workplans.

thanks-
Brian
0
Brian

I would start by searching this ng. Many folks have replied to questions
regarding migrations from 8 to 9, 7 to 9, 6 to 9 etc. The notes may not
answer all your questions but still should give you some valuable insight

HTH

Greg
<Brian Hauss> wrote in message news:40c09b93.4a25.1681692777@sybase.com...
> All,
> I am looking for any information you would have on the
> Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to
> PowerBuilder 9.0.
>
> We are scoping out initial effort estimate documents and
> workplans.
>
> thanks-
> Brian

0
GW
6/4/2004 4:02:27 PM
It's probably the same as asking the complexity and effort to write a
program. It's going to vary immensely, and there's no way anyone can
predict what your effort will be. If you have a well written app that
manages to dodge any area that has been changed or deprecated, it's an
incredibly trivial effort. The worst time migrating I've ever had is
finding badly written code that isn't behaving the same way in the new
version. (I never did figure out why they put required functionality
in a DO WHILE Yield() loop... and there were no pending messages in
the new version, which made more sense than what was happening
before.)

Here's a procedure:

http://www.teamsybase.net:8083/newsgroups/display.jsp?msgid=ska9pv8hjb2nqpm3kfh2bnp18d5aus7oee@4ax.com

Here's to see what's changed (beyond what Migration Assistant will
tell you):

http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/changes_to_powerbuilder.html

Good luck,

On 4 Jun 2004 08:54:50 -0700, Brian Hauss wrote:

>I am looking for any information you would have on the
>Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to
>PowerBuilder 9.0.
>
>We are scoping out initial effort estimate documents and
>workplans.

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Powerbuilder 9.0 vs. Powerbuilder 8.0
What is the difference in Powerbilder 9.0 and 8.0? I would like to point out that the Appeon newsgroup is monitored by Sybase and Appeon engineering staff who are very knowledgeable about Appeon issues. Question that are purely PowerBuilder-related are best answered by the staff and users of the PowerBuilder newsgroup: sybase.public.powerbuilder.XXXX. Please post to the appropriate newsgroup so you receive the help you desire. Thanks, Julie Jiang Appeon Corporation <dburris@onesolution.com> wrote in message news:40589011.2717.846930886@sybase.com... > What is the diffe...

PowerBuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0.1
Hello, We are having some issues while trying to upgrade from PB 6.5 to PB 9.0.1 The database is Sybase .I was hoping if you could post in any usergroups Background: There is a window w_child inherited from w_parent.The datasource of this dw_1 is a Stored Procedure that runs in Sybase ASE 12.5 In ue_1 of w_parent there is a dw_1.retrieve(arg1,arg2). ue_1 of w_child extends ue_1of w_parent. In ue_1 of w_child the code checks the condition dw_1.rowcount() >0 based on which it decides on the execution flow. Issue: While running the application, no rows are getting re...

PowerBuilder 5.0 to 5.0.0.2
I hope this the correct venue for this question. I have a fresh install of PB 5.0 and I need to upgrade it to 5.0.0.2. I have found plenty of reference/downloads to 5.0.0.4 on the sybase website, but I need to go from 5.0 to 5.0.0.2. Where can I download the correct patch/upgrade? Thanks 5.0.0.2 is no longer available. You can choose between 5.0.03 (bug infested) and 5.0.04 (stable). -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com "Dwayne Bordelon" <dwayne.bordelon@shawinc...

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

PowerBuilder Upgrade 5.0 -> 6.0/6.5 for PowerFrame?
Has anyone upgraded PowerFrame (Metasolv's old framework) from PB 5.0 to PB 6.0/6.5? Did you run into any major problems? ANY upgrade advice (PowerFrame or not) would be appreciated. Should I just wait for 7.0? What's the latest on its release? Please respond here or email to eleuschner@levi.com. Thanks in advance, Ellen (The last living person not using PFC. IT'S NOT MY CHOICE!) Ellen, Have you tried calling MetaSolv? I know that they dropped support for PowerFrame in favor of Cornerstone but they may still be willing to help. Rey Bango Team Powersoft.....

Code Migration from Powerbuilder 5.0 to 9.0
Was wondering whether anyone can provide any information on this. Any info at all is welcomed thks :) Try http://www.teamsybase.net:8083/newsgroups/display.jsp?msgid=3q3spvccn3tdvtr5il532g7k1mka5sng0e@4ax.com. There's probably more postings. Here's a list of ways to search old messages: http://www.techno-kitten.com/Troubleshooting/Anyone_Else_See_It_/anyone_else_see_it_.html#someonehasexperiencedit. Good luck, Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten On 7 May 2004 02:32:18 -0700, Edward wrote: >Was wondering whether anyone can provide any information on &g...

Migration to PowerBuilder 6.5 from Powerbuilder 4.0
Hi all, I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soon. I would like to know if I have to migrate previously to Powerbuilder 5.0, or if it is possible to migrate directly from Powerbuilder 4.0 to 6.5. In the last case I would like to know if I can have any problems during the upgrade process. Thanks in advance... On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:46:07 +0100, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general "Jorge Salamanca" <jsalamanca@fintec.es> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm going to migrate from Powerbuilder 4.0 to Powerbuilder 6.5 soo...

Powerbuilder 5.0 against Visual Basic 5.0
Can someone give me some good advise why I sould use Powerbuilder 5.0 instead of Visual Basic 5.0 for making critical applications (With SQL-server 6.5) ?? We are looking forward to build critical applications for around 100 users. Please sent your notes to e-mail: karel.geraerts@alz.be instead of this newsgroup. Many thanks! Mainly because you don't have to put up with all the crap found in the Microsoft newsgroups when you need help. (Ads for pirated software from Hong Kong, etc.) There are a lot of other reasons as well (PB is OO, supports inheritance, yadda yadda yadda)....

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

update powerbuilder 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5
hi, I need update powerbuilder ver 10.0 to powerbuilder 10.5. by the way, my company already buy pb ver 10.00 and need to update to ver 10.5. the question : if update pb from ver 10.00 to ver 10.5, is it free of charge ? if no, How I found the price ? best regards, alim 10.5 is considered a major release, you would need to purchase an upgrade. This is what I found on Sybase's own eshop: http://eshop.sybase.com/eshop/buy_detail?id=92023&prodId=9281&bid=17856 You may find better through an online merchant, partner or local retailer. This is also the Ent...

Triggers in SQL Anywhere 5.5.0 and PowerBuilder 5.0.03
Hi: I'm trying to get a series of triggers working, but am having lots of difficulties. Initially, the following trigger did not update the 'product' table on an insert. create trigger ti_inventory after insert on inventory referencing new as new_inventory for each row begin update product set product.current_in_stock = product.current_in_stock + new_inventory.qty_new + new_inventory.qty_used_excl + new_inventory.qty_used_good + new_inventory.qty_used_poor where product.product_code = new_inventory.product_code end; I tried to put other commands into the t...

Upgrade to ASA 7.0.0.313 and PowerBuilder 6.0
Hi ya all, I had a quick question. We recently upgraded from Sybase SQL ANYWHERE 5.5 TO ASA 7.0.0.313. When I run a script from PowerBuilder 6.0 and try to pass date arguments to the datawindow object, the date arguments get corrupted, i.e. they are no longer date arguments when the dwo receives them. They appear as funny looking characters that don't make any sense. In my dwo I am using various subqueries. One thing that is bizarre is that if I take all subqueries out of my dwo, the date arguments passed to the datawindow object work fine. It is only when I use a subquery that the ...

hints expression oracle 9.0 in Powerbuilder 9.0
Hello cheers to all. I got this sql from Orable 9.0, we need to put a hint expression in this sql to improve the performance on the execution of the sql, well i dont know if this run fine in sql embeded, because this expression use /* */ operator, like the following example. In powerbuilde these operators are used to put comments in the script.. SELECT /* + INDEX ("CB_MOV_PAG" "CB_MOV_PAG1") */ sum ("CB_MOV_DET"."MON_PAG") FROM "CB_MOV_DET", "CB_MOV_PAG" WHERE ( "CB_MOV_DET"."COD_CIA"...

Web resources about - The Complexity and Effort to Upgrade from PowerBuilder 5.0 to PowerBuilder 9.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles