SQl server 7.0 and Powerbuilder 9.0

Hello there.

I have this situation we,re working with Powerbuilder 9.0 and SQL Server 7.0
with an original application developed in Powerbuilder 6.5, this mean that
we made the update to 9.0, well after that in some SQL that involve string
field like char or varchar the values were evaluated with double quoted like
this example type in "1","2".

Select * from clients

Where tipo in " 1","2"

Well this syntax generated error because dont recognize del double quote,
now the syntax must use single quoted '1', '2' like this

Select * from clients

Where tipo in '1', '2'.

We want to know what cause this behavior and how to fixed, because the
consequences of this bring to us an extra work to do.. change al the SQL
affected.

We appreciate some advices about this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Eduardo Primera

From Venezuela

0
eprimera

Hi Eduardo,

How are you executing the SQL that generates this error? By setting up
in a DW by using the Modify command or in an EXECUTE IMMEDIATE command?
I had this problem before with the Modify and it happened because I used
double quotes on the Modify and also inside the SQL (like
Modify('Datawindow.Table.Select = "' + ls_sql_statement + '"')). Because
I used both, SQL scramble the information and generates an error. To fix
it, I changes the quotes (like Modify("Datawindow.Table.Select = '" +
ls_sql_statement + "'"))

Thanks,
Mano Bill

eprimera wrote:
> Hello there.
>

> I have this situation we,re working with Powerbuilder 9.0 and SQL Server 7.0
> with an original application developed in Powerbuilder 6.5, this mean that
> we made the update to 9.0, well after that in some SQL that involve string
> field like char or varchar the values were evaluated with double quoted like
> this example type in "1","2".
>

> Select * from clients
>
> Where tipo in " 1","2"
>

> Well this syntax generated error because dont recognize del double quote,
> now the syntax must use single quoted '1', '2' like this
>

> Select * from clients
>
> Where tipo in '1', '2'.
>

> We want to know what cause this behavior and how to fixed, because the
> consequences of this bring to us an extra work to do.. change al the SQL
> affected.
>

> We appreciate some advices about this topic.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Eduardo Primera
>
> From Venezuela

0
Mano
8/1/2005 2:18:37 PM
Thanks for you reply.

Well this is the problem, the are some SQL in one application that we
recently migrate from Powerbuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0 and those SQL
always used the double quoted operator,  just those one that compare string
values (char or varchar), after the migration the sentences that use double
quotes are usesless, this mean that right now the setences require sinlgle
quotes. For example if i create a new datawindows the setences put  the
comparative  values  between single quotes. If i use the ISQ session i get
thesame results.

I dont know exactly if this is a consecuence of the migration, or if in the
preview version of the aplication someone use some aditional setup
information over the conecction of the database.

Well in the aplication were are no using Modify commads or Execute
Immediate. I don,t if these explanation help you to see others point,
because i can't see the cause.. plese any help ,, mean a  lot.

Thanks again for you response..

Eduardo
from venezuela

"Mano Bill" <NO_SPAM_TO_ME_manobill_at_gmail_dot_com> escribi� en el mensaje
> Hi Eduardo,
>
> How are you executing the SQL that generates this error? By setting up
> in a DW by using the Modify command or in an EXECUTE IMMEDIATE command?
> I had this problem before with the Modify and it happened because I used
> double quotes on the Modify and also inside the SQL (like
> Modify('Datawindow.Table.Select = "' + ls_sql_statement + '"')). Because
> I used both, SQL scramble the information and generates an error. To fix
> it, I changes the quotes (like Modify("Datawindow.Table.Select = '" +
> ls_sql_statement + "'"))
>
> Thanks,
> Mano Bill
>
> eprimera wrote:
> > Hello there.
> >

> > I have this situation we,re working with Powerbuilder 9.0 and SQL Server
7.0
> > with an original application developed in Powerbuilder 6.5, this mean
that
> > we made the update to 9.0, well after that in some SQL that involve
string
> > field like char or varchar the values were evaluated with double quoted
like
> > this example type in "1","2".
> >

> > Select * from clients
> >
> > Where tipo in " 1","2"
> >

> > Well this syntax generated error because dont recognize del double
quote,
> > now the syntax must use single quoted '1', '2' like this
> >

> > Select * from clients
> >
> > Where tipo in '1', '2'.
> >

> > We want to know what cause this behavior and how to fixed, because the
> > consequences of this bring to us an extra work to do.. change al the SQL
> > affected.
> >

> > We appreciate some advices about this topic.
> >

> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > Eduardo Primera
> >
> > From Venezuela

0
eprimera
8/1/2005 3:47:31 PM
Are those SQL statements placed inside a datawindow or you placed them
inside the code?

eprimera wrote:
> [...]
>
> that
>
>>>we made the update to 9.0, well after that in some SQL that involve
>
> string
>
>>>field like char or varchar the values were evaluated with double quoted
>
> like
>
>>>this example type in "1","2".
>>>

>>>Select * from clients
>>>
>>>Where tipo in " 1","2"
>>>

>>>Well this syntax generated error because dont recognize del double
>
> quote,
>
>>>now the syntax must use single quoted '1', '2' like this
>>>

>>>Select * from clients
>>>
>>>Where tipo in '1', '2'.
>>>

>>>We want to know what cause this behavior and how to fixed, because the
>>>consequences of this bring to us an extra work to do.. change al the SQL
>>>affected.
>>>

>>>We appreciate some advices about this topic.

0
Mano
8/1/2005 4:23:50 PM
eprimera wrote:

> I have this situation we,re working with Powerbuilder 9.0 and SQL Server 7.0
> with an original application developed in Powerbuilder 6.5, this mean that
> we made the update to 9.0, well after that in some SQL that involve string
> field like char or varchar the values were evaluated with double quoted like
> this example type in "1","2".
>

> Select * from clients
>
> Where tipo in " 1","2"
>

> Well this syntax generated error because dont recognize del double quote,
> now the syntax must use single quoted '1', '2' like this

Try SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF.

Dmitri.
0
Dmitri
8/1/2005 4:56:17 PM
well both case embeded sql in code and some datawindows...

thanks.

> Are those SQL statements placed inside a datawindow or you placed them
> inside the code?
>
> eprimera wrote:
> > Thanks for you reply.
> >
> > Well this is the problem, the are some SQL in one application that we
> > recently migrate from Powerbuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 9.0 and those SQL
> > always used the double quoted operator,  just those one that compare
string
> > values (char or varchar), after the migration the sentences that use
double
> > quotes are usesless, this mean that right now the setences require
sinlgle
> > quotes. For example if i create a new datawindows the setences put  the
> > comparative  values  between single quotes. If i use the ISQ session i
get
> > thesame results.
> >
> > I dont know exactly if this is a consecuence of the migration, or if in
the
> > preview version of the aplication someone use some aditional setup
> > information over the conecction of the database.
> >
> > Well in the aplication were are no using Modify commads or Execute
> > Immediate. I don,t if these explanation help you to see others point,
> > because i can't see the cause.. plese any help ,, mean a  lot.
> >
> > Thanks again for you response..
> >
> > Eduardo
> > from venezuela
> >

> > "Mano Bill" <NO_SPAM_TO_ME_manobill_at_gmail_dot_com> escribi� en el
mensaje

> >>Hi Eduardo,
> >>
> >>How are you executing the SQL that generates this error? By setting up
> >>in a DW by using the Modify command or in an EXECUTE IMMEDIATE command?
> >>I had this problem before with the Modify and it happened because I used
> >>double quotes on the Modify and also inside the SQL (like
> >>Modify('Datawindow.Table.Select = "' + ls_sql_statement + '"')). Because
> >>I used both, SQL scramble the information and generates an error. To fix
> >>it, I changes the quotes (like Modify("Datawindow.Table.Select = '" +
> >>ls_sql_statement + "'"))
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Mano Bill

Server

> > 7.0

> > that

> > string

> > like

> > quote,

SQL

0
eprimera

PowerBuilder 7.0 & SQL Server 7.0
Hi: I've develop an application that connect to and MS SQL SERVER 7.0 database via ODBC. When i make the .exe file and run it in Win95 or Windows NT Workstation it works fine, but when i run it in a Win98 client the following error apears. SQLSTATE=22005 - "Invalid character value for cast specification." Any clues about this. The exe was build in PowerBuilder 7.0 over a Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Thanks in advance. Jorge, Try adding to the dbparm - CallEscape='No'. Here is an example: SQLCA.DBParm = "Connectstring='DSN=<your ...

PowerBuilder 7.0 & SQL Server 7.0
Hi: I've develop an application that connect to and MS SQL SERVER 7.0 database via ODBC. When i make the .exe file and run it in Win95 or Windows NT Workstation it works fine, but when i run it in a Win98 client the following error apears. SQLSTATE=22005 - "Invalid character value for cast specification." Any clues about this. The exe was build in PowerBuilder 7.0 over a Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Thanks in advance. Jorge, Try adding to the dbparm - CallEscape='No'. Here is an example: SQLCA.DBParm = "Connectstring='DSN=<your ...

Chinese became chaos code on PowerBuilder 9.0.3 connect to SQL server 7.0
I used PowerBuilder 9.0.3 connect to SQL server 7.0, I keyed in Chinese data when Chinese became chaos code on display. I preview or print out also got the chaos code. I used OLE DB to link with SQL server 7.0 Please give me comment to fix it. -- Best Regards Wong Tat Ming Tel: 25235090 Email: tmwong@diagnostix.com.hk You need the Unicode versions of these.... PB 10.0 or higher plus SS2005 will get you to full Unicode compatibility. "chu" <chuchoy@msn.com> wrote in message news:4588d7be$1@forums-1-dub... > I used PowerBuilder 9.0.3 connect to ...

POWERBUILDER 7.0
I am having problems getting updates to commit through powerbuilder. We have a few layers of stored procedures which make the queries a little long. Have tried MSS, ODBC, OLE DB connections, we've been messing with connection options for weeks, nothing seems to work. ODBC traces show success. This may not help you much; but, we have been using PB 7.0 with MS SQL Server 7.0 for months in a production application and have never had a problem with commits on updates (using native MSS drivers). So, I would look at your own code. Where do you issue the commits? regards ...

Powerbuilder 9.0 Migration from powerbuilder 7.0.3 problem
Hi all, i was trying an migrate an powerbuilder 7.0.3 application to powerbuilder 9.0(PFC BASED APPLICATION (PFC objects version PB 6.5) ) during migration i am getting this error. tcmborrower.pbl(w_cursor_check).w_cursor_check.open.2: Error C0163: The definition of referenced global variable sqlca was improperly compiled in object trcomps Did anybody faced this kind of error? Thx Ashok JPMORGAN ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp First error message which i got during the migration is : tcmappl.pb...

Powerbuilder 5.0/7.0 and MS SQL 7.0 Performance issues
We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app in PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0. Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2. We successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now the app runs terribly slow! I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test box is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram. We experimented running the app as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same. When we execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no perf...

PowerBuilder 5.0.04 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
I am having problems with a powerbuilder 5.0.04 application that uses pipeline objects. The only thing that has changed is the destination database has recently been upgraded from Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 to 7.0. We connect via ODBC. After upgrading to 7.0, we get the -4 error code (i.e. Table Not Found). Does anyone know if any new drivers are needed to support Microsoft SQL Server 7.0? Thanks, Victoria I am not sure but there is a 3.70 ODBC Driver from Microsoft. I am not sure the older driver works ok with MS 7.0. pv Victoria Kelsey wrote: > > I am having...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

PowerBuilder 5.0.3 strange problem with SQL Server 7.0
Hi, I am doing a simple select statment in a PB script, it works fine if I am connected to a SQL Anywhere DB with odbc, but the same code will not work if I am connected to MS SQL Server! The code is something like: int li_total Select count(*) from sfref into :li_total; I will not get an SQL error BUT li_total will not be updated!! Howerver the same code will work fine with SQL Anywere! Any help would be great!! Don't know why it works at all, it's not standard syntax. Maybe something that works in SQL Anywhere. Anyway, it should be: Select count(*...

PowerBuilder 5.0.3 strange problem with SQL Server 7.0
Hi, I am doing a simple select statment in a PB script, it works fine if I am connected to a SQL Anywhere DB with odbc, but the same code will not work if I am connected to MS SQL Server! The code is something like: int li_total Select count(*) from sfref into :li_total; I will not get an SQL error BUT li_total will not be updated!! Howerver the same code will work fine with SQL Anywere! Any help would be great!! Don't know why it works at all, it's not standard syntax. Maybe something that works in SQL Anywhere. Anyway, it should be: Select count(*...

how do you do a select into using powerbuilder 8.0 connecting to sql server 7.0
I have a powerbuilder app that used to connect to a sql anywhere database that is now connecting to sql server. I have found an equivalent to the today(*) function: select substring(convert(char(10), getdate(), 120), 1, 10) The problem with this is that it will not work in a select-into because sub quereies are not allowed. So, what I want to do is a select-into using the above conversion query, store it in a local date variable above but I keep getting a syntax error(I have also tried using a local string variable and I get the same error) . Here is the code that generates the...

Connect MS-SQL 7.0 in PowerBuilder 7.0
In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? Please post to the powersoft.public.powerbuilder newsgroups This is dedicated to PB issues when used within Jaguar Masun wrote: > In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but > in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? ...

PowerBuilder 5.0.03 & SQL Server 7.0 & ODBC
Hi All, I have a peculiar problem while connecting to SQL Server 7.0 From PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Enterprise through ODBC. I can connect from a windows 95 machine (where my client is) to a Windows NT4 (SP3) machine (where the server resides) via ODBC. I use the dll's provided by PowerBuilder. (PBODB050.dll, PBODB050.ini). Till this it is fine. The problem comes when my client is also in the NT Server (where the database resides). I can connect to SQL Server 7.0 from PowerBuilder 5.0.03 on windows NT4.0 but all the select statements which has Varchar type columns in it, returns null...

PowerBuilder 5.0.03 & SQL Server 7.0 & ODBC
Hi All, I have a peculiar problem while connecting to SQL Server 7.0 From PowerBuilder 5.0.03 Enterprise through ODBC. I can connect from a windows 95 machine (where my client is) to a Windows NT4 (SP3) machine (where the server resides) via ODBC. I use the dll's provided by PowerBuilder. (PBODB050.dll, PBODB050.ini). Till this it is fine. The problem comes when my client is also in the NT Server (where the database resides). I can connect to SQL Server 7.0 from PowerBuilder 5.0.03 on windows NT4.0 but all the select statements which has Varchar type columns in it, returns null...

Web resources about - SQl server 7.0 and Powerbuilder 9.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles