Sockets

Hi,

Is it possible to make a sockets connection with PB6.5? (and how)

Thanks in advance,
Joe

0
Joe

I think this is what you're looking for

http://www.teamsybase.com/roy.kiesler/downloads/wininet.zip

HTH

Arnoud

<Joe> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to make a sockets connection with PB6.5? (and how)
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Joe

0
Arnoud
2/3/2003 12:49:33 PM
WinInet cannot be used for raw socket connection -- it is a simple wrapper
for FTP/HTTP/Gopher functionality within Microsoft Internet Explorer.

--
<hopethishelps/>
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

"Arnoud Oortwijk" <gloriant_NOSPAM@skynet.be> wrote in message
> I think this is what you're looking for
>
> http://www.teamsybase.com/roy.kiesler/downloads/wininet.zip
>
> HTH
>
> Arnoud
>
> <Joe> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to make a sockets connection with PB6.5? (and how)
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Joe

0
Roy
2/3/2003 1:28:49 PM
http://www.teamsybase.com/bruce.armstrong/downloads/eventmonitor.zip

You want the winsock.pbl, not the whole thing.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 06:17:18 -0500, Joe wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is it possible to make a sockets connection with PB6.5? (and how)
>

>Thanks in advance,
>Joe

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Not 1 - but 2 new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com

Which can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com

If you would like to continue to be able to use Google to search *all* of these newsgroups, please contact Google at and let them know.
mailto:groups-support@google.com

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
2/3/2003 3:30:27 PM
It is possible, but if I were you, I would not do it.  It requires far too
much work, coding, and integration just to
achieve a simple socket task.

For sockets communication I would rather use Java.  You may
have your PB app to spawn a Java task.

Clinton
0
Clinton
2/4/2003 4:34:48 AM
For sockets communication I would rather use assembler language and hand
assemble it like we did in the old days before PowerBuilder.

<Clinton> wrote in message
> snip
> For sockets communication I would rather use Java.
>snip
>
> Clinton

0
Austin
2/4/2003 6:17:02 AM
Just to give you an idea on how easy (in terms of
coding, integration, deployment, and maintenance) that
socket communication can be done in Java, below is
an example.

Clinton

------------------------------------
        public static void SendMail (String from, String to, String
subject, String buffer, String mailHost) {
//              You must terminate your message string with
//              "\r\n.\r\n" to indicate end of message.

                String endMsg = ".\r\n.\r\n";
                int SMTPport = 25;

                Socket socket;
                BufferedReader socket_in;
                PrintStream socket_out;

                try {
                        socket = new Socket (mailHost, SMTPport);
                        socket_in = new BufferedReader (new
InputStreamReader (socket.getInputStream ()));
                        socket_out = new PrintStream
(socket.getOutputStream ());

//                      OK, we're connected, let's be friendly and say
hello to the mail server
                        socket_out.println ("HELO " + mailHost);
                        socket_out.flush ();
                        socket_in.readLine ();

//                      Let server know YOU are going to send mail
                        socket_out.println ("MAIL FROM:" + from);
                        socket_out.flush();
                        socket_in.readLine ();

//                      Let server know WHOM you're going to send mail to
                        socket_out.println ("RCPT TO:" + to);
                        socket_out.flush ();
                        socket_in.readLine ();

//                      Let server know you're now going to send the
message contents
                        socket_out.println ("DATA");
                        socket_out.flush ();
                        socket_in.readLine ();
                        socket_in.readLine ();

//                      Send the From, To, and Subject lines
                        socket_out.println ("From: " + from);
                        socket_out.println ("To: " + to);
                        socket_out.println ("Subject: " + subject);

//                      Finally, send the buffer
                        socket_out.println (buffer);

                        socket_out.flush ();
                        socket_out.println (endMsg);
                        socket_out.flush ();
                        socket_in.readLine ();

//                      We're done, disconnect from server
                        socket.close();
                }
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                        System.out.println ("ERROR: SendMail - " +
e.getMessage ());
                        e.printStackTrace ();
                }
        }
0
Clinton

What generals generally do

Powerbuilder Socket.
hi! is there a way to create a program in Powerbuilder 7.0 that utilizes sockets. In that way I could create a simple Instant Messaging programming using client and server sockets... would that be possible? If there is, could you guys show me some code or may point me to a site that offers informations regarding to my query... thank you jun Joe, asked the same question yesterday. Take a look at the answers on his post HTH Arnoud Url: http://www.gloriant.be "Jun" <jmartinph@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Xns931894889929jmartinphyahoocom@199.93.177.7...

PowerBuilder and sockets
I am having trouble to establish a connection from a PowerBuilder Application to a Unix-demon-process via Berkley Sockets.. Using an Unix-Client everything works fine, but trying to do the same coding in a Power-Script the client can't reach the demon-process. To use the socket-related functions (like socket(), connect(), etc.) i declared them as local external functions. This is my Code: <External Function Declarations>: Function uint socket(int af, int typ, int protocol) Library "wsock32.dll" Function int connect(uint sfd, REF s_sockaddr_in sockaddr, int ...

Socket programming in powerbuilder
Hi is there a way to open a socket in powerbuilder and send and recieve messages via sockets . thanx http://powerbuilder.codexchange.sybase.com/files/documents/67/1139/winsock32.pbl > > is there a way to open a socket in powerbuilder and send > and recieve messages via sockets . > > thanx > > And this: http://powerbuilder.codexchange.sybase.com/files/documents/67/755/socketwrenchpbl.zip ...

Using sockets with Powerbuilder
I need to do a socket application to communicate with other application. How can I do this with Powerbuilder 10 Thanks for your support David Ochoa wrote: > I need to do a socket application to communicate with other > application. How can I do this with Powerbuilder 10 > > Thanks for your support Try http://www.dart.com/downloads/ a. Try the Winsock example in the free code section of http://www.topwizprogramming.com/ <David Ochoa> wrote in message news:445156ff.2ed6.1681692777@sybase.com... >I need to do a socket application to communicate wit...

Powerbuilder Socket Library
Can anyone point me towards a reliable powerbuilder library for direct socket programming? Thanks Hi ! There is an FTP example in PB6.5 Luck ! "MissionSoft Inc." wrote: > Can anyone point me towards a reliable powerbuilder library for direct socket programming? Thanks -- Sincerelly, Vladimir M. Bogak, ------------------ ICQ : 26391985 Homepage : http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/5889/ Phones : +380-62-334-1489, 335-0476 (work), +380-62-335-1305 (home) Try PowerTCP from DART Communications - Excellent collection of Actice-X controls that work...

powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
This news group seems to be down, trying to hit it from the web page. I was able to hit it 11:25 am Eastern Daylight Savings Time vie OE newsreader. Russ <rob.potts@veridian.com> wrote in message news:3485451A5E94D5550053492985256D08.0053493885256D08@webforums... This news group seems to be down, trying to hit it from the web page. I've notified the people in charge. Until it's resolve, you can still use the web-based newsreader at www.pfcguide.com. On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:14:52 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.futures_discussion <Joe_Slawsky> ...

Is PowerBuilder.General newsgroup broken?
Haven't seen a message poster there in many days. Mike Just saw some new ones now..Could be some haven't switched to the new servers.. -- Evita R. Chapa Senior Systems Analyst II Command Technologies, Inc. "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com> wrote in message news:#VivpTX7CHA.331@forums-2-dub... > Haven't seen a message poster there in many days. > > Mike > > I had the same problem too! Then I right-clicked on the newsgroup and clicked properties->Local Files Tab->Clicked on the Reset to reset all the postin...

powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
Can someone help me please. I am using PB7 Build 8033 and Excel 97 SR1 I have a spreadsheet which has 1 chart "graph", and 2 sheets "Model" and "Calculations". There are also 7 macros in module 1. I am trying to use OLE Automation to link to the spreadsheet, I need to populate some cells, run some macros and retreive some cells. I can get excel and the spreadsheet to open in automation mode, I can retreive and populate individual cell value, and I can successfully close and disconnect from excel and the spreadsheet. My problem is that I cannot s...

Welcome to the PowerBuilder.General newsgroup
Welcome to the Powersoft sponsored newsgroup for general PowerBuilder questions. While we encourage you to look around forums.powersoft.com to find a newsgroup that most precisely fits the topic of your question, we encourage those whose questions fall between the cracks to post their questions here. While Powersoft controls this newsgroup, there are some **MIS**interpretations of that fact that should be avoided: - "Posting a message means a guaranteed answer from Powersoft." In an effort to help PowerBuilder developers help each other become successful, Powersof...

Great thread in the powerbuilder.general forum
Look for the one entitled "Identity Column". It started on 4/7/2003 with a question about implementing IDENTITY/AUTOINCREMENT columns in PB datawindows, but has morphed into a debate of Oracle v. ASA. Anybody that wants to pile on, please feel free to contribute! -- Paul Horan[TeamSybase] VCI Springfield, MA www.vcisolutions.com Join the PB9 Book mailing list! www.pb9book.com ...

Error to post powerbuilder \General forum
Hai all I cannot post in Powerbuilder/General forum. An error is coming When I am trying to post. Pls help with thnaks Polachan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp And the error is? On 6 Oct 2008 01:34:33 -0700, "polachan" <polachan> wrote: >Hai all > >I cannot post in Powerbuilder/General forum. An error is coming When I am trying >to post. > >Pls help > >with thnaks >Polachan >---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- >http://www.pfcgui...

Modify Expression Editor
How about improving on the Modify Expression Editor a bit? We have some quite complicated expressions, and the tiny little MLE control that PB uses to allow us to edit expression is very clumsy (and yes, I do realize about the elipse to bring up the modal Modify Expression window - which contains an only slight less tiny MLE for editing the Expression). Not to mention that embedded Returns in the expression can cause the computed field to behave funny. How about a real editor, complete with color markups, support for indentation and carrage returns, AutoScript even! Oooh,...

Need sample code to do socket programming in powerbuilder
Hi, (1) I need to make a powerbuilder app. to act as a server which can listen to client messages on a known port number and (2) than once the message comes in , it needs to send back the acknowledgement to the same client. I have tried using socketwrench activex control, but without the sample PB Code , I'm lost. I'm very new to Socket programming , so any help is appreciated. Note: There is a time pressure on this project, so quicker responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chirag Vora ...

Powerbuilder general function to open setfocus and set filter on...
I have a problem conserning wherever in the application when someone registers an alert for later handling this function is to register the entire object path to where he registered that alert. (I am using PowerBuilder 6.5). Then im to retrieve the entire path for the followin things: column. datawindow tab window Are there any functions to do this in PFC, im sorry for posting this here, but i cannot find much in the documentation, btw another question, do you know of any good links to better documentation for PFC than what follows PowerBuilder? Thanks in advance. Klaus M...

Web resources about - Sockets - sybase.powerbuilder.general

AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AC power plugs and sockets are devices that allow electrically operated equipment to be connected to the primary alternating current (AC) power ...

Ratcheting-Socket-Wrench-22156-480x360 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Free Photos – 3/8-Inch Ratcheting Socket Wrench / Chrome Socket Wrench /Repair and Fix Tool kits More photos and details about possible copyright ...

Mitch Robinson lied to Carlton about incident that left him with a broken eye socket
Mitch Robinson lied to Carlton officials when asked why he had suffered a broken eye socket during a scuffle in the early hours of Sunday morning. ...

Brisbane Broncos forward Alex Glenn facing six weeks on sideline with fractured eye socket
Wayne Bennett ranks Brisbane fullbacks as Justin Hodges injury leaves Broncos with fifth choice rookie

Opinion: Will future iPhones lose the 3.5mm headphone socket? What will Apple do instead?
... really not much. If Apple wants to continue the iPhone’s diet, at some point very soon it’s going to have to ditch the 3.5mm headphone socket ...

ASRock Rack Announces EP2C612D24 and 4L: Dual Socket Haswell-EP with 24 DDR4 Slots
... 16GB UDIMMs, this allows for a maximum of 384GB, although moving up to RDIMM, LRDIMMs or 64GB NVDIMMs pushes the max to 1.5TB in a dual socket ...

Windows Server 2016 moving to per core, not per socket, licensing
... until the second half of next year, is going to shake up the way Microsoft licenses its server operating system, moving away from per socket ...

Meet Beam, the Android projector that turns any light bulb socket into an entertainment center
In case you were looking for an out-of-the-box smart projector, then Beam might be worth looking into. The unusual-looking device has just been ...

Cool Chart of the Week: Solar Socket Parity In California, Australia, Germany, Italy, & Netherlands
I forget now how I ran across this chart, but it’s a nice one. It shows that residential solar PV power hit socket parity (aka grid parity) in ...

Dell Aims Four-Socket Server at Modern Database Hardware Needs
Launches x86 PowerEdge servers in bid to carve out more high-end server market share Read More