Running PB while PowerGen is rebuilding another application

Hi,

I have to make several FullRebuilds on many differents applications in a week.
Of course, while that process take place, it �freezes� PB so I can't use it to
work on another application.

I wonder if, on the same PC, PowerGen can be rebuilding one application while
I'am working with PB on another application? Note that the two applications are
using a complete set of different libraries. So nothing is shared.

I'am asking that question because I read on the news something about the fact
that only one application should use the ORCA functions on a PC at the same
time.

TIA,

Claude Charest
0
Claude

I was the one making that claim, so let me jump in (although my bet is that if
Phil [from E Crane] is on the newsgroups this week, he'll be here shortly).

This idea sounds *completely* scary under Win9x. While this sounds less scary
under NT/2000 (I can *conceive* of ways that it could work), I don't know what's
going on under ORCA's covers enough to be sure. You definitely won't get a
thumbs up directly from Sybase; you just may get anecdotal evidence that it has
worked for other people.

I have another suggestion, though. How about scheduling the build for after
hours? Then, there's zero performance impact on your workstation while you're
working, and zero risk. PowerGen's command line interface works quite well with
different schedulers.

Good luck,

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:17:17 -0400,
Claude Charest <CCharest@cegep-fxg.qc.ca> wrote:
>I have to make several FullRebuilds on many differents applications in a week.
>Of course, while that process take place, it �freezes� PB so I can't use it to
>work on another application.
>
>I wonder if, on the same PC, PowerGen can be rebuilding one application while
>I'am working with PB on another application? Note that the two applications are
>using a complete set of different libraries. So nothing is shared.
>
>I'am asking that question because I read on the news something about the fact
>that only one application should use the ORCA functions on a PC at the same
>time.

Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit and
winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"

Terry
6/21/2000 2:23:09 PM
FWIW - we make a copy of the pbls, rebuild and generate the app from the
copy, and copy the pbls back.  This also saves your <bleep> if something
goes wrong in the rebuild.

Terry Voth wrote in message ...
>I was the one making that claim, so let me jump in (although my bet is that
if
>Phil [from E Crane] is on the newsgroups this week, he'll be here shortly).
>
>This idea sounds *completely* scary under Win9x. While this sounds less
scary
>under NT/2000 (I can *conceive* of ways that it could work), I don't know
what's
>going on under ORCA's covers enough to be sure. You definitely won't get a
>thumbs up directly from Sybase; you just may get anecdotal evidence that it
has
>worked for other people.
>
>I have another suggestion, though. How about scheduling the build for after
>hours? Then, there's zero performance impact on your workstation while
you're
>working, and zero risk. PowerGen's command line interface works quite well
with
>different schedulers.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
>On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:17:17 -0400,
> in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
>Claude Charest <CCharest@cegep-fxg.qc.ca> wrote:
>>I have to make several FullRebuilds on many differents applications in a
week.
>>Of course, while that process take place, it �freezes� PB so I can't use
it to
>>work on another application.
>>
>>I wonder if, on the same PC, PowerGen can be rebuilding one application
while
>>I'am working with PB on another application? Note that the two
applications are
>>using a complete set of different libraries. So nothing is shared.
>>
>>I'am asking that question because I read on the news something about the
fact
>>that only one application should use the ORCA functions on a PC at the
same
>>time.
>
>Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit and
>winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
>
>---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Jerry
6/21/2000 3:24:53 PM
We also have a seperate machine for doing all compiles.  We have had cases where
one developers PC just didn't give us the same results.  So we went to a
seperate machine.

Tom

Jerry Siegel wrote:

> FWIW - we make a copy of the pbls, rebuild and generate the app from the
> copy, and copy the pbls back.  This also saves your <bleep> if something
> goes wrong in the rebuild.
>
> Terry Voth wrote in message ...
> >I was the one making that claim, so let me jump in (although my bet is that
> if
> >Phil [from E Crane] is on the newsgroups this week, he'll be here shortly).
> >
> >This idea sounds *completely* scary under Win9x. While this sounds less
> scary
> >under NT/2000 (I can *conceive* of ways that it could work), I don't know
> what's
> >going on under ORCA's covers enough to be sure. You definitely won't get a
> >thumbs up directly from Sybase; you just may get anecdotal evidence that it
> has
> >worked for other people.
> >
> >I have another suggestion, though. How about scheduling the build for after
> >hours? Then, there's zero performance impact on your workstation while
> you're
> >working, and zero risk. PowerGen's command line interface works quite well
> with
> >different schedulers.
> >
> >Good luck,
> >
> >Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
> >
> >On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:17:17 -0400,
> > in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
> >Claude Charest <CCharest@cegep-fxg.qc.ca> wrote:
> >>I have to make several FullRebuilds on many differents applications in a
> week.
> >>Of course, while that process take place, it �freezes� PB so I can't use
> it to
> >>work on another application.
> >>
> >>I wonder if, on the same PC, PowerGen can be rebuilding one application
> while
> >>I'am working with PB on another application? Note that the two
> applications are
> >>using a complete set of different libraries. So nothing is shared.
> >>
> >>I'am asking that question because I read on the news something about the
> fact
> >>that only one application should use the ORCA functions on a PC at the
> same
> >>time.
> >
> >Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> >Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit and
> >winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
> >
> >---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> >http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Tom
6/21/2000 3:25:48 PM
I don't do a lot of PB development, so I rarely have PowerGen and PB open at
the same time.  But I have run concurrent PowerGen sessions on the same NT
machine without problems of any kind.  And I would consider a tougher test
than running PB an PowerGen together.

I also haven't heard of any problems in doing this from PowerGen users;
there are enough of them that I'm sure some are trying this.  I would share
Terry's recommendation to use an NT machine, because of the extra protection
given to DLLs being loaded by separate programs.

Regards,

Phil
E. Crane

Claude Charest <CCharest@cegep-fxg.qc.ca> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I have to make several FullRebuilds on many differents applications in a
week.
> Of course, while that process take place, it �freezes� PB so I can't use
it to
> work on another application.
>
> I wonder if, on the same PC, PowerGen can be rebuilding one application
while
> I'am working with PB on another application? Note that the two
applications are
> using a complete set of different libraries. So nothing is shared.
>
> I'am asking that question because I read on the news something about the
fact
> that only one application should use the ORCA functions on a PC at the
same
> time.
>
> TIA,
>
> Claude Charest

0
Phil
6/21/2000 5:05:24 PM
Preferably one with a fast CPU and lots of RAM.  We also find that having
the pbls on a RAM disk speeds up the rebuild by about 30%.

Tom Mackin wrote in message <3950DE7C.F68E5C3@lnc.com>...
>We also have a seperate machine for doing all compiles.  We have had cases
where
>one developers PC just didn't give us the same results.  So we went to a
>seperate machine.
>
>Tom
>
>Jerry Siegel wrote:
>
>> FWIW - we make a copy of the pbls, rebuild and generate the app from the
>> copy, and copy the pbls back.  This also saves your <bleep> if something
>> goes wrong in the rebuild.
>>
>> Terry Voth wrote in message ...
>> >I was the one making that claim, so let me jump in (although my bet is
that
>> if
>> >Phil [from E Crane] is on the newsgroups this week, he'll be here
shortly).

>> >This idea sounds *completely* scary under Win9x. While this sounds less
>> scary
>> >under NT/2000 (I can *conceive* of ways that it could work), I don't
know
>> what's
>> >going on under ORCA's covers enough to be sure. You definitely won't get
>> >thumbs up directly from Sybase; you just may get anecdotal evidence that
it
>> has
>> >worked for other people.
>> >
>> >I have another suggestion, though. How about scheduling the build for
after
>> >hours? Then, there's zero performance impact on your workstation while
>> you're
>> >working, and zero risk. PowerGen's command line interface works quite
well
>> with
>> >different schedulers.
>> >
>> >Good luck,
>> >
>> >Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>> >
>> >On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:17:17 -0400,
>> > in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general
>> week.
>> it to

>> while
>> applications are

>> fact
>> same
>> >
>> >Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>> >Home of PBL Peeper, a PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit and
>> >winner of PowerTimes 1999 "Little Helper of the Year"
>> >
>> >---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>> >http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Jerry
6/21/2000 5:23:51 PM
Can you setup a ramdisk under NT or do you have to user 95/98?

"Jerry Siegel" <jerrys@data-sci.com.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Preferably one with a fast CPU and lots of RAM.  We also find that having
> the pbls on a RAM disk speeds up the rebuild by about 30%.
>
> Tom Mackin wrote in message <3950DE7C.F68E5C3@lnc.com>...
> >We also have a seperate machine for doing all compiles.  We have had
cases
> where
> >one developers PC just didn't give us the same results.  So we went to a
> >seperate machine.
> >
> >Tom
> >
> >Jerry Siegel wrote:
> >
> >> FWIW - we make a copy of the pbls, rebuild and generate the app from
the
> >> copy, and copy the pbls back.  This also saves your <bleep> if
something
> >> goes wrong in the rebuild.

> that
> >> if
> shortly).

> >> scary
> know
> >> what's
> it
> >> has

> after
> >> you're
> well
> >> with

> >> week.
> use
> >> it to

> >> while
> >> applications are

> the
> >> fact
> >> same

0
Stephen
6/21/2000 6:13:44 PM
The guy who does this has NT.  I don't know the name of the ramdisk product.

Stephen Barrett wrote in message ...
>Can you setup a ramdisk under NT or do you have to user 95/98?
>

>"Jerry Siegel" <jerrys@data-sci.com.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> Preferably one with a fast CPU and lots of RAM.  We also find that having
>> the pbls on a RAM disk speeds up the rebuild by about 30%.
>>
>> Tom Mackin wrote in message <3950DE7C.F68E5C3@lnc.com>...
>> >We also have a seperate machine for doing all compiles.  We have had
>cases
>> where
>> >one developers PC just didn't give us the same results.  So we went to a
>> >seperate machine.
>> >
>> >Tom

>the
>something

>> that
>> shortly).

>less
>> know
>get
>that
>> it

>> after
>> well

>in
>> use

>application

>> the
>the

0
Jerry

SQLCA works when application runs in PB not when application is run with Powerbuilder WDK.
Hi, My applications with out SQLCA run great through Powerbuilder WDK, my applications that contain SQLCA information doesn't. When I run the application in PB I get a splash screen and then the application starts. When I run it through PB WDK the splash screen starts and the I get a login box. No matter what I do it always show's up and when I hit OK I get the following SQLSTATE = 08001 error. How can I stop this from occurring? The SQLCA code and ini file are below. code: startupfile = "pds.ini" /* Populate sqlca from current PB.INI settings */ sqlca.DBMS...

Run PB application from any another application
is it possible to execute and pass a value to a Powerbuilder application from any other application ? any input is greatly appreciated. If the other application has the ability to start applications. To pass a value, you can add command line arguments to your run script, look at commandparm() function in PB for getting those values. You can also use the windows SendMessage API call to trigger events on windows/application. <Julie> wrote in message news:4048e90b.6e7e.846930886@sybase.com... > is it possible to execute and pass a value to a Powerbuilder > applicatio...

can we run another application from a PB application
Can anybody tell me if its possible to run a second PB application from an already running PB application? If yes, then is there any way to terminate the first application and continue with the second? Thanks, Menka Gupta Corsair Communications, Inc. Run("secondapp.exe") Halt Close S Rivankar Menka Gupta wrote in message <3846D57A.FE3778BB@corsair.com>... >Can anybody tell me if its possible to run a second PB application from >an already running PB application? > >If yes, then is there any way to terminate the first application and >con...

Powerbuilder application "crashing" another powerbuilder application
This is a repost of the above subject since there has been some problem for messages posted on the 19th - 22nd July 2002. *************** Hi All, I have an application (App A)built using PB7.0.3 build 10077 and it seems to work fine. However, recently, another application (App B) built using PB 7.0.3 build 10047 as well was installed and it seems to trigger Dr Watson on App A. There is an embedded OCX on a "main" window on App A, which receives triggers from external applications. The OCX will then call another function sitting on another main window. That function w...

How can I run another application from PB ?
How can I run another application from PB script and continue its execution after finish this application (NOT immediately after start) ? Thanks, Radko Najman Look at the CreateProcess() Win32 API -- it allows for this type of functionality. There are a number of posts titled "Run Command" in this forums that mention that. Roy On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:46:44 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript Radko Najman <radko.najman@ksprogram.cz> wrote: >How can I run another application from PB script and continue its >execution after finish this ...

how to run my created powerbuilder application on another machine
Hi, I just created my application, it uses a local obdc connection, which i can also create the same profile on the other machine, i just dont know how i can run that same application on the other machine, since it requires that on the shortcut to the application it start in sybase/shared/powerbuilder?? Is there any way i can get around this, just to demonstrate the application on the other machine. Open the help files and search for deployment. There is an installation guide in the online books that goes thru all the things you need to deploy including the PowerBuilder runtim...

running another application from a PB 5 app
I have a PB 5 application that uses the run() function to run another PB 5 application. The first application contains a loop that has the run() function. My question is: After the second application runs and finishes, is the control passed back to the first application? thanks for any help. Chloe Chloe; No separate Address Space, so the other PB application is on it's own! The PB App. doing the Run ( ) is not waiting for the other to complete, only to start (so you can check the RC) regards ... Chris <Chloe> wrote in message news:79E822D2B59882C50051324C852...

IIS with external IP and have an ASP.NET app running. How do I connect another server (has IIS installed) running another asp.net application, but it has internal IP only?
Hi,I have a web server, with IIS, and external IP, with a ASP.NET application running on it. Users hit the site with the external IP.Now, we have another asp.net application, but we do not want to put it in server 1 (b/c of the load), and we do not want to give another external IP to the 2nd server... how can I make a user, hit server#1, and then in there, setup a virtual directory, and have the virtual directory pointing to the starting folder on the 2nd server??I tried setting up a VD with a "shared folder on another server ", and then putting in the path like this, \\2ndServer\inetpub\www...

Use of PB DLL in another PB Application
Hi all! If I have a single DLL compiled in PB9 containing a function, can I declare/call/use that DLL in my other PB Application? If yes, then how can I do it? Pls help.. TIA Danaya Danaya; Just add the DLL to your library path at run time to be resolved. Try the SetLibraryList () method. When your application needs to load an object, PowerBuilder searches for the object first in the executable file and then in the dynamic libraries specified for the application. You can specify a different list of library files from those specified in the executable with SetLibraryList...

Opening a window from a running application on another application
Hi! An answer would be appreciated... * Is there another way to open the windows that belongs to different application (executables/DLLs) other than executing a DDE call from a calling executable (by having the launch pad executable serve as the "client" and the executable of the different applications being the "server" to establish the DDE communication so that windows that is contained within the executable's DLLs would be opened) ? * Someone suggested of having an OLE... How does it work if lets say I'm gonna opening a window from a running application on a...

How Can I handle a PB Application from another Windows Application
Hy Guys, I have a big problem, I don't know how handle an Application created by PB from another application. I. E.How can I launch the an event or a global function or get some properties value? Thanks. Stefano Giostra. You can trigger user events mapped to pbm_custom01-pbm_custom75 by using the SendMessage Win32 API using message IDs between 1024 and 1098, respectively. You will need to use the FindWindow API to get the handle of the main window of the application you want to "talk" to. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Develop...

PB Application to PB Application communication
I need to have 2 powerbuilder application be able to communicate with one another. A string is all I need to pass between the two applications. I tried creating a com object that I could connect to from both applications. This com object would basically store the information I want to pass between the two applications in an instance variable. One application would populate that instance variable, then notify the other application(through the send command) to go read the information in the com object. I created the com object fine and can call a function on the com object ...

What PB DLL need in PB 9.0 application running in refresh PC
Beside executable and pbd files, which PB DLL need in PB 9.0 application running in refresh PC Thx Jason That's covered in the Help http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-pb/pbg0900e/apptech/@Generic__BookVi ew See Chapt 39 Deploying Applications and Components subsection: Powerbuilder Runtime files "JJ" <jasonyklau@sinaman.com> wrote in message news:40061830@forums-1-dub... > Beside executable and pbd files, which PB DLL need in PB 9.0 application > running in refresh PC > > Thx > Jason > > Sorry about the me...

Is another application running
We are in the process af developing a PB app that uses MS Visio as a sort of drawing tool. We start visio from pb, do some drawing and then save the result in a common db. Our problem is this, if we use visio and then return to PB, then try to start Visio again we get an error. Is there a way (API) that I can call to find out if an application(Visio) is already running. Then we can just tell the user that the app is already running. many thanks. NO_SPAM_abl@ementor.dk ...

Web resources about - Running PB while PowerGen is rebuilding another application - sybase.powerbuilder.general

New solution helps enterprises manage web applications
The shift towards the cloud means that running applications is now often done in a browser. While this is convenient for the end user it can ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

Digitimes Research: Global application processor market to rise 8.5% in 2016
The global market for application processors (AP) will rise 8.54% in 2016, according to Digitimes Research. Growth of demand for applications ...

A new edition of CRISPR promises to make gene therapy ready for human applications
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the McGovern Institute for Brain Research have developed a way to significantly cut down on “off-target” ...