Recommendations for migrating from PB 6.5 to PB x.x

We are in the process of evaluating whether or not we should migrate our
applications from PB 6.5 to PB 7.x or PB 8.x.  Our application is a client
server application connecting to Oracle 8.1.7 and we are using PVCS for our
source code control.

What are the pros and cons of moving our applications to a newer release
(either 7.x or 8.x)?

What version and release is recommended?
0
Brian_Haake

Main change you will see in SCC, if you are migrating to 8.0.1.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:29:49 -0400,
 <Brian_Haake> wrote:
>We are in the process of evaluating whether or not we should migrate our
>applications from PB 6.5 to PB 7.x or PB 8.x.  Our application is a client
>server application connecting to Oracle 8.1.7 and we are using PVCS for our
>source code control.
>
>What are the pros and cons of moving our applications to a newer release
>(either 7.x or 8.x)?
>
>What version and release is recommended?

Ashokkumar
4/29/2002 5:14:46 PM
Support for 7 will stop 90 days after 9 comes out, which is planned for the
second half of 2002, so I would think 8. 8.0.2 is due out soon and should
fix most of the remaining SCC bugs.
The new SCC and the new look to the IDE will both take some getting used to.

Brian_Haake wrote in message ...
>We are in the process of evaluating whether or not we should migrate our
>applications from PB 6.5 to PB 7.x or PB 8.x.  Our application is a client
>server application connecting to Oracle 8.1.7 and we are using PVCS for our
>source code control.
>
>What are the pros and cons of moving our applications to a newer release
>(either 7.x or 8.x)?
>
>What version and release is recommended?

0
Jerry
4/29/2002 5:26:53 PM
The current version of PVCS (Version 6.8) does support PowerBuilder 8.  I'm
using PB8 under Build 9056 and we've been doing fine.  It did take a little
time getting our setup the way we wanted to.  You should be aware that the
work PBL in PowerBuilder that was for SCC has been removed.  We made up our
own by creating a sandbox.pbl that's in our library list but no objects are
registed in it.  This is what we used to develop from and test in.

HTH

--
Evita R. Chapa
Senior Systems Analyst

> We are in the process of evaluating whether or not we should migrate our
> applications from PB 6.5 to PB 7.x or PB 8.x.  Our application is a client
> server application connecting to Oracle 8.1.7 and we are using PVCS for
our
> source code control.
>
> What are the pros and cons of moving our applications to a newer release
> (either 7.x or 8.x)?
>
> What version and release is recommended?

     This is just my personal opinion.  That being said, I would move to
PowerBuilder 8 as soon as possible.  the downside is needing to adjust to
the new interface, but that is not a huge obsticle.  The plus sides
include, but are not limited to better web integration, better debugger and
the oracle support.  And since you use PVCS, you'll like the newer
interface.  It makes the source code management a little tighter, but you
don't get teh conflicts you are used to when someone trys to check in an
object while you are running the app from common source code.
     Each developer keeps a compelte copy of the source on their machine
and synchronises directly with PVCS.  I could keep going with features both
small and large, but having used both PB7 and PB8 I would upgrade to 8 as
soon as possible.  We upgraded a large app here directly from 6.5 to 8 with
almost no problems, but our decision to upgrade at all was driven by teh
need to support a newer version of oracle.

Just my 2 cents....

- Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com)
www.planetdx.com
0