Question about migrating a PFC application from 6.0 to 7.0

Hi:

We have a PFC appliction developed using Power Builder 6.0. The
application includes 3 layers - 6.0 pfc pbls, pfe pbls and pbls we
created. We did not make any change to 6.0 pfc or pfe pbls.
Now we are migrating application from 6.0 to 7.0. My question is that
what pbls we should include
in the application. Should we simply inculde the 7.0 pfc, pfe and our
pbls or should we customize
migrated pfe pbls and use 7.0 pfc pbls, customized pfe pbls and pbls we
created? We checked Sybase web page , but we did not found any
information on how to migrate a PFC appliction from 6.0 to 7.0.
Anyone knows where we can get more information that may help us!
Thanks in advance for any response!

Jian Q. Kuang

0
Jian

Your case should be very straight forward.  You may try to use two steps:
1.  Migrate all PB6 environment into PB7, including pfc and pfe.  Address
all migration issues before going on.  You may ignore the warnings on the
obsolete pfc functions and structures.
2.  Replace the migrated pfc and pfe with the PB7 version.  Then do a full
rebuild.  Don't be surprised by some strange behaviors or rebuild errors.  A
good friend is the Export/Import utility.

Jian Kuang <jkuang@vitinc.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> We have a PFC appliction developed using Power Builder 6.0. The
> application includes 3 layers - 6.0 pfc pbls, pfe pbls and pbls we
> created. We did not make any change to 6.0 pfc or pfe pbls.
> Now we are migrating application from 6.0 to 7.0. My question is that
> what pbls we should include
> in the application. Should we simply inculde the 7.0 pfc, pfe and our
> pbls or should we customize
> migrated pfe pbls and use 7.0 pfc pbls, customized pfe pbls and pbls we
> created? We checked Sybase web page , but we did not found any
> information on how to migrate a PFC appliction from 6.0 to 7.0.
> Anyone knows where we can get more information that may help us!
> Thanks in advance for any response!
>
> Jian Q. Kuang

0
Yong
10/19/1999 6:24:03 PM
Dear Yong:
    Thanks for your reply. I tried the way you suggested and the application
runs well. But
instruction I got from Sybase web page (document id 10913 - PFC Application
Migration and Upgrade from 5.0x to 6.0x) is different. They copy new objects
from 7.0 pfe pbls to migrated 6.0 pfe pbls and use these customized pfe pbls and
7.0 pfc pbls in the upgraded application. Are you sure it is ok to just replace
the migrated pbls with the PB7 version.

Jian Q. Kuang

Yong Li wrote:

> Your case should be very straight forward.  You may try to use two steps:
> 1.  Migrate all PB6 environment into PB7, including pfc and pfe.  Address
> all migration issues before going on.  You may ignore the warnings on the
> obsolete pfc functions and structures.
> 2.  Replace the migrated pfc and pfe with the PB7 version.  Then do a full
> rebuild.  Don't be surprised by some strange behaviors or rebuild errors.  A
> good friend is the Export/Import utility.
>
> Jian Kuang <jkuang@vitinc.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > We have a PFC appliction developed using Power Builder 6.0. The
> > application includes 3 layers - 6.0 pfc pbls, pfe pbls and pbls we
> > created. We did not make any change to 6.0 pfc or pfe pbls.
> > Now we are migrating application from 6.0 to 7.0. My question is that
> > what pbls we should include
> > in the application. Should we simply inculde the 7.0 pfc, pfe and our
> > pbls or should we customize
> > migrated pfe pbls and use 7.0 pfc pbls, customized pfe pbls and pbls we
> > created? We checked Sybase web page , but we did not found any
> > information on how to migrate a PFC appliction from 6.0 to 7.0.
> > Anyone knows where we can get more information that may help us!
> > Thanks in advance for any response!
> >
> > Jian Q. Kuang

0
Jian
10/21/1999 2:04:45 PM
Yes, it is OK. PFC/PB7 was not changed a great deal over PFC/PB6, although there are
new objects, and soem attributes got moved around. Make sure you do a full rebuild,
address any compile errors and away you go. It's safe.

regards,
Bill Green

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]

Good Links to know:
Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://www.sybase.com/sdn
PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com
Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com

0
Bill

Web resources about - Question about migrating a PFC application from 6.0 to 7.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Would you give up chocolate for better application performance?
Application performance is critical to business performance according to 98 percent of businesses, yet 89 percent of executives say the poor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

Taiwan MOEA confirms receipt of TSMC application for 12-inch fab in China
The Investment Commission of Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) has confirmed it has received an application submitted by TSMC for ...

New patent application suggests Nintendo’s NX console is like nothing we’ve seen before
Nintendo has been close-mouthed about its plans for the Nintendo NX, but a recent patent filing may have tipped the company's hand. If so, then ...