PowerBuilder Source Control Setup #2

We are setting up to use Merant PVCS Version Manager with our PowerBuilder
development.  We have been looking at Sybase support technical document
1010496 (PowerBuilder Source Control Recommended Setup) to make sure that
we have a setup that allows multiple developers to develop and run at the
same time.

The detail of this document may be sufficient for experienced PB people.
For me though, terms like "distribute a copy", "add it to their copy" and
"synchronise their registered set" don't tell me enough about how to go
about it.  I am hoping that someone knows enough of what I am talking about
to help.

Does it mean by "distribute a copy" that we should take a copy of the
entire registered pbl via something like Windows Explorer, put it somewhere
local to the developer and then modify the developer's library search path
to include that, rather then the registered pbl?

Or is there some PB function for "distribute a copy of a library"?

I did it the first way and got a pbl with entries tagged with the same
symbol as was the case for the entries in the registered library.  That
seemed OK but when I added a new object to the registered library, and then
used "Add Objects" to try to add it to the copy, I got a "Share Files"
dialog box.  The Help for "Share Files" suggests that that file will act
differently to those that are present in the copy due to being copied in
Windows Explorer - "You can then check out, modify and check in the file
like any other".

So now I am confused.  Is this "Share Files" facility what was meant by
"distribute a copy"?

Further, what does "synchronise their registered set" mean, ie what
function provided in the PB/PVCS setup can be used to do this?  Is it
Refresh Status?  Is it Take? .. or Copy?  Is there a way of updating the
whole copy from within PB, not just one file at a time?  Is it intended
that the "synchronise" is done by taking another copy of the pbl via
Windows Explorer?

Or is there some point/concept of the PB under source control that I am
missing that would make it all clear?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Linn
Daniel Systems Australia
0
contractor

Web resources about - PowerBuilder Source Control Setup #2 - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles