PowerBuilder Rich Text Control

Hello group, I have a problem.... I am trying to save the contents of a rich
text control in an sqlserver table through jaguar. The problem is with a
specific text column. Sql Server "sees" that column as text whereas in
powerbuilder i see that column as char(32767). When the update statement
executes then jaguar reports the following error:

****  EAS SERVER 4.2 (ERROR LOG) *********
Sep 22 14:27:51 2003: Bind parameter value for ':1' is too big (10434)

No changes made to database.

UPDATE lgs_letters_templ SET templ_data = ? WHERE letter_id = ? AND
templ_name = ? AND branchcode = ? AND bname = ? AND free_doc_flg = ?
SQLDBCODE : 999 ON ROW : 1

The strange thing is that when i use the same logic with ASE 12 (the
application uses both ASE 12 and SQL Server 2000).
Any ideas?

0
Dimitris

For text columns you typically need to use SELECTBLOB/UPDATEBLOB
statements.

Good luck,

On 22 Sep 2003 05:30:03 -0700, "Dimitris Karistinos"
<dkaris@relational.gr> wrote:

>Hello group, I have a problem.... I am trying to save the contents of a rich
>text control in an sqlserver table through jaguar. The problem is with a
>specific text column. Sql Server "sees" that column as text whereas in
>powerbuilder i see that column as char(32767). When the update statement
>executes then jaguar reports the following error:

>****  EAS SERVER 4.2 (ERROR LOG) *********
>Sep 22 14:27:51 2003: Bind parameter value for ':1' is too big (10434)
>
>No changes made to database.
>
>UPDATE lgs_letters_templ SET templ_data = ? WHERE letter_id = ? AND
>templ_name = ? AND branchcode = ? AND bname = ? AND free_doc_flg = ?
>SQLDBCODE : 999 ON ROW : 1
>
>The strange thing is that when i use the same logic with ASE 12 (the
>application uses both ASE 12 and SQL Server 2000).
>Any ideas?

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
9/22/2003 12:50:06 PM
I have one more question in order to make it clear....I use a datastore in
order to update the table. I take the value from the rich text control i
pass it to the datastore make some calculations and then the update
statement is fired. I suppose that those two functions can handle all the
process meaning read the value from the reach text control and pass the
value ds am i correct?
Thanks for your time.....

"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> For text columns you typically need to use SELECTBLOB/UPDATEBLOB
> statements.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 22 Sep 2003 05:30:03 -0700, "Dimitris Karistinos"
> <dkaris@relational.gr> wrote:
>
> >Hello group, I have a problem.... I am trying to save the contents of a
rich
> >text control in an sqlserver table through jaguar. The problem is with a
> >specific text column. Sql Server "sees" that column as text whereas in
> >powerbuilder i see that column as char(32767). When the update statement
> >executes then jaguar reports the following error:
> >
> >*******************************************************
> >****  EAS SERVER 4.2 (ERROR LOG) *********
> >*******************************************************
> >Sep 22 14:27:51 2003: Bind parameter value for ':1' is too big (10434)
> >
> >No changes made to database.
> >
> >UPDATE lgs_letters_templ SET templ_data = ? WHERE letter_id = ? AND
> >templ_name = ? AND branchcode = ? AND bname = ? AND free_doc_flg = ?
> >SQLDBCODE : 999 ON ROW : 1
> >
> >The strange thing is that when i use the same logic with ASE 12 (the
> >application uses both ASE 12 and SQL Server 2000).
> >Any ideas?
> >

> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
> See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Dimitris
9/22/2003 1:02:27 PM
No, they're just embedded SQL statements. They have nothing to do with
datastores, and you have to get the values yourself. Have a look at
the manuals for more info.

Good luck,

On 22 Sep 2003 06:02:27 -0700, "Dimitris Karistinos"
<dkaris@relational.gr> wrote:

>I have one more question in order to make it clear....I use a datastore in
>order to update the table. I take the value from the rich text control i
>pass it to the datastore make some calculations and then the update
>statement is fired. I suppose that those two functions can handle all the
>process meaning read the value from the reach text control and pass the
>value ds am i correct?
>Thanks for your time.....
>
>"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>> For text columns you typically need to use SELECTBLOB/UPDATEBLOB
>> statements.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>
>> On 22 Sep 2003 05:30:03 -0700, "Dimitris Karistinos"
>> <dkaris@relational.gr> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello group, I have a problem.... I am trying to save the contents of a
>rich
>> >text control in an sqlserver table through jaguar. The problem is with a
>> >specific text column. Sql Server "sees" that column as text whereas in
>> >powerbuilder i see that column as char(32767). When the update statement
>> >executes then jaguar reports the following error:
>> >
>> >*******************************************************
>> >****  EAS SERVER 4.2 (ERROR LOG) *********
>> >*******************************************************
>> >Sep 22 14:27:51 2003: Bind parameter value for ':1' is too big (10434)
>> >
>> >No changes made to database.
>> >
>> >UPDATE lgs_letters_templ SET templ_data = ? WHERE letter_id = ? AND
>> >templ_name = ? AND branchcode = ? AND bname = ? AND free_doc_flg = ?
>> >SQLDBCODE : 999 ON ROW : 1
>> >
>> >The strange thing is that when i use the same logic with ASE 12 (the
>> >application uses both ASE 12 and SQL Server 2000).
>> >Any ideas?
>> >

>> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
>> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
>> Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
>> See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
>> ^ ^
>> o o
>> =*=

See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
9/22/2003 1:16:53 PM
Just throwing in my <$.02>...

You shouldn't have to use SELECTBLOB/UPDATEBLOB on a text/memo/Long Varchar
field up to 32K.

I share as many datawindows between backends as possible.  In this case ASA
7/8 and MSSQL 2000.  The actual definition for those 'text' fields is
char(32766), if that makes any difference.  (And some tickle in the back of
my head about limiting actual use to a few bytes lower, like 4 or 8 for
internal counting data.  IOW, with 32766, don't try to store more than
32756...yadda)

I'm assuming/hoping that in this error message...
(10434)
.... that 10434 is the size it's trying to store.  Should not be a problem,
unless it thinks the column is standard varchar which has a limit of 8,000
bytes (<8K).  If you are using UNICODE columns, Ntext or Nvarchar, then the
limits are 1/2 of what you would expect.

One way to test this is to reduce the data and see if it is accepted at the
8000 limit.

FYI: Another caveat.  If you were trying to use a TEXT or IMAGE field to
it's full potential (in MSSQL), anything greater than 32K, then the limit of
BLOB commands is 400K.  After that you have to use external tools like
TEXTCOPY.EXE to get very large data into the column.

HTH

Steve

> No, they're just embedded SQL statements. They have nothing to do with
> datastores, and you have to get the values yourself. Have a look at
> the manuals for more info.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 22 Sep 2003 06:02:27 -0700, "Dimitris Karistinos"
> <dkaris@relational.gr> wrote:
>
> >I have one more question in order to make it clear....I use a datastore
in
> >order to update the table. I take the value from the rich text control i
> >pass it to the datastore make some calculations and then the update
> >statement is fired. I suppose that those two functions can handle all the
> >process meaning read the value from the reach text control and pass the
> >value ds am i correct?
> >Thanks for your time.....
> >
> >"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> >> For text columns you typically need to use SELECTBLOB/UPDATEBLOB
> >> statements.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten

> >rich

> >> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> >> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> >> Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
> >> See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
> >> ^ ^
> >> o o
> >> =*=
> >

> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
> See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
Scionyx
9/23/2003 2:06:48 AM
Well i dont quite follow you what is your suggestion? In order to give you
some more background i am trying to save greek characters in that
field.....Could you be a little more clear about what to do? Thank you for
your time

"Scionyx" <scionyx@TheObvious.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > <dkaris@relational.gr> wrote:
> >
> > >I have one more question in order to make it clear....I use a datastore
> in
> > >order to update the table. I take the value from the rich text control
> > >pass it to the datastore make some calculations and then the update
> > >statement is fired. I suppose that those two functions can handle all
the
> > >process meaning read the value from the reach text control and pass the
> > >value ds am i correct?
> > >Thanks for your time.....
> > >
> > >"Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message

> > >rich
> statement

> > Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> > Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> > Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
> > See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox

0
Dimitris
9/23/2003 8:01:52 AM
You say that Sql Server 'sees' the column as text.  IOW, is it 'expecting' a
text column?  (Which it should for a field definition of 32766.)  What is
the actual definition?  Varchar allows a max of 8000 bytes.  If the 10K
number in the error message is the length of data it's attempting to store,
I would check that condition.

Thus I was suggesting one experiment where you back off the data in the
field and see if it stores OK >=8000 bytes.

HTH,

Steve

"Dimitris Karistinos" <dkaris@relational.gr> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Steve
> >

> > "Terry Voth" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
> > > No, they're just embedded SQL statements. They have nothing to do with
> > > datastores, and you have to get the values yourself. Have a look at
> > > the manuals for more info.
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > >
> > > Terry [TeamSybase] and Sequel the techno-kitten

> > in
> the

> of
> with
> in
> > statement

> (10434)

AND

> > > Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> > > Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> > > Version 2.2.05 now available at the Sandbox
> > > See the PB Troubleshooting Guide at the Sandbox

0
Scionyx
9/27/2003 5:19:29 PM
Well i solved my problem using selectblob/updateblob and everything works
fine.....
Dimitris Karistinos
> [...]
> problem,
> > > unless it thinks the column is standard varchar which has a limit of
> 8,000
> > > bytes (<8K).  If you are using UNICODE columns, Ntext or Nvarchar,
then
> > the
> > > limits are 1/2 of what you would expect.
> > >
> > > One way to test this is to reduce the data and see if it is accepted
at
> > the
> > > 8000 limit.
> > >
> > > FYI: Another caveat.  If you were trying to use a TEXT or IMAGE field
> > > it's full potential (in MSSQL), anything greater than 32K, then the
> limit
> > of
> > > BLOB commands is 400K.  After that you have to use external tools like
> > > TEXTCOPY.EXE to get very large data into the column.

0
Dimitris

Rich Text DataWindow In Rich Text Control
Hi, is there a way to take the contents of a rich text data window and put it into a rich text edit control? Thanks, Cliff ...

chinese character in rich text control and text control
I have a chinese character in either rich text control or text control. The character is look fine if it is a small size (10, 12), however when the font size is changed bigger (36 or 72), the character is out of shape(many dot, not smooth). Is anyone has any idea to print a bigger chinese character from pb7.03. ...

PowerBuilder Bugs: Using VB ActiveX control (OCX) in PowerBuilder 6.0
I'm going to write some VB ActiveX control (using Microsoft VB6.0 SP3) to be used in PowerBuiler 6.5, but I found that it's very easy to crash in PowerBuilder, Here is the test case: 1) Create a very simple VB ActiveX control (only one button without any script) in Visual Basic 2) Create a PB project to open a Main Window (w_1) with an ole object of VB ActiveX control 3) Open another Window (w_2) with an ole object of VB ActiveX control (can be same as previous or other control) 4) Click the OLE object in w_2 to make it get focus 5) Close w_2 -> it will crashed If ...

Powerbuilder 10.5.1 Rich Text issue
I have migrated an application from 10.2 to 10.5.1 (build 6021). I am having a problem with the new rich text control on a form, that only occurs at runtime. It seems to be preventing a Print and Close button on that form from working. The form has a datawindow object on it and the two buttons. Based on a menu choice which opens the form, one of several rich text datawindow objects are loaded into the datawindow. At first, after upgrading, once I deployed the application and tried to run it on another machine, the data window wouldn't display. I realized that this was due ...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Pasting text from Mac apps into rich text controls pastes plain text
Name: Bob Product: Firefox Summary: Pasting text from Mac apps into rich text controls pastes plain text Comments: Using: Mac OS X 10.6 and Firefox 3.5 and 3.6 beta 1 Steps to reproduce: * Write text in Text Edit, Yojimbo, etc using rich text (e.g. font sizes, bold, italics) * Open Gmail in Firefox and compose an email * Copy and paste the text you created from the other Mac app into Firefox Observed: text is pasted in as plain text Expected: converts the rich text to appropriate rich text in the control, like Safari does This is a huge pain when e.g. writing release n...

Rich Text Printing Problem in Powerbuilder 10.5 Build 5063
I have upgraded our powerbuilder 8 application to 10.5 build 5063. When I view the rich text base datawindows, they look fine in the display. But, as soon as I click print, the column values turn to ?? on the screen and also prints ?? for columns. Any body knows how to resolve printing issue in powerbuilder 10.5 build 5063? ...

Rich text based datawindow print problem with powerbuilder 10.5 build 5063
I have upgraded our powerbuilder 8 application to 10.5 build 5063. When I view the rich text base datawindows, they look fine in the display. But, as soon as I click print, the column values turn to ?? on the screen and also prints ?? for columns. Any body knows how to resolve printing issue in powerbuilder 10.5 build 5063? ...

How to get a text from rich text edit control ?
It does not have a such property as 'Text'. So how can I catch in to variable whatever user types ? Thanks. string ls_text this.SelectTextAll() ls_text = this.SelectedText() On Thu, 24 May 2001 11:43:44 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general yt <tyuriy@aol.com> wrote: >It does not have a such property as 'Text'. So how can I catch in to >variable whatever user types ? > >Thanks. > > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.needhim.org ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_news...

Text does not wrap correctly in rich text control
Hi, I'm having this problem: 'Text does not wrap correctly in rich text control'. I'm using PB10.5.1. I've done some research on the Web and tried: set the following variable in the pb.ini file: [RichText] PageSizeAsControlSize=1 Should I install PB10.5.2? Does it resolve the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Joan A bit more description about the problem. I have a rich text control in my app. I have tried to set property to 'Wordwrap, which dosen't work. I have tried to set the following variable in the pb.ini file: ...

RTE control margin error when printing (Rich Text Control)
Where I work, we are using PB5 over an Oracle database. There are several documents managed with RTE controls that are saved in the database. Over W9x we have no problem to print these documents. However, when we use Windows XP, some documents get their margins changed with no rule, and the whole document gets unfit. Has anybody had any problem with margins and RTE ? Thanks . Yes, one example is when you use ReplaceText that causes a word wrap. The failure comes in a couple of flavors, but it end result is the document becomes unfit. One workaround is to replace te...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder Rich Text Control - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles