Powerbuilder ODBC to Excel

I need to connect to a odbc connection to an excel workbook.

Can anyone point me to some documentation on how this works.

Thanks

alan

0
Alan

Alan,
All you need to do is set up an ODBC DSN for the Excel .XLS file.
In the ODBC Admin panel - go to the Drivers tab and see if you have
Microsoft Excel Driver(*.xls) installed.
On the User DSN tab, click Add.  Then select Microsoft Excel Driver and
Finish.  Give it a name, pick the .XLS file and version.  Once that is
created, you can use the DSN like any other ODBC connection.

Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
VCI   www.twoplus.com
Springfield, MA

"Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> I need to connect to a odbc connection to an excel workbook.
>
> Can anyone point me to some documentation on how this works.
>
> Thanks
>
> alan

0
Paul
6/16/2000 1:54:13 PM
Any ideas about having the user select the file.

I am planning on creating a pipeline object to allow the user to select a
file and import it to a database.

We are currently useing ole, but the I want to use the commit function of
the pipeline for perfoemance.

Paul Horan[TeamSybase] <paulh@SpamBakedBeansandSpamTwoplus.com> wrote in
message news:Iojjnu51$GA.300@forums.sybase.com...
> Alan,
> All you need to do is set up an ODBC DSN for the Excel .XLS file.
> In the ODBC Admin panel - go to the Drivers tab and see if you have
> Microsoft Excel Driver(*.xls) installed.
> On the User DSN tab, click Add.  Then select Microsoft Excel Driver and
> Finish.  Give it a name, pick the .XLS file and version.  Once that is
> created, you can use the DSN like any other ODBC connection.
>
> Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
> VCI   www.twoplus.com
> Springfield, MA
>
> "Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> > I need to connect to a odbc connection to an excel workbook.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some documentation on how this works.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > alan

0
Alan
6/16/2000 1:59:31 PM
For your DW, be aware that you need to create a Named Range in your
spreadsheet, with the first row being the column names.  Make sure that you
use UPPERCASE for the names.  And don't mix alpha and numeric data in the
same column.  Both MS and Intersolv drivers cannot handle those.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

"Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulh@SpamBakedBeansandSpamTwoplus.com> wrote in
message news:Iojjnu51$GA.300@forums.sybase.com...
> Alan,
> All you need to do is set up an ODBC DSN for the Excel .XLS file.
> In the ODBC Admin panel - go to the Drivers tab and see if you have
> Microsoft Excel Driver(*.xls) installed.
> On the User DSN tab, click Add.  Then select Microsoft Excel Driver and
> Finish.  Give it a name, pick the .XLS file and version.  Once that is
> created, you can use the DSN like any other ODBC connection.
>
> Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
> VCI   www.twoplus.com
> Springfield, MA
>
> "Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> > I need to connect to a odbc connection to an excel workbook.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some documentation on how this works.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > alan

0
Terry
6/16/2000 3:44:09 PM
I con connect to the excel profile and show the sheets in the book.  I get
the following error when i try to view tthe data

syntax error near from clause.

SELECT string,number,name from sheet1$

string,number and name are are named ranges with all caps.

Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote in message
> For your DW, be aware that you need to create a Named Range in your
> spreadsheet, with the first row being the column names.  Make sure that
you
> use UPPERCASE for the names.  And don't mix alpha and numeric data in the
> same column.  Both MS and Intersolv drivers cannot handle those.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulh@SpamBakedBeansandSpamTwoplus.com> wrote in
> message news:Iojjnu51$GA.300@forums.sybase.com...
> > Alan,
> > All you need to do is set up an ODBC DSN for the Excel .XLS file.
> > In the ODBC Admin panel - go to the Drivers tab and see if you have
> > Microsoft Excel Driver(*.xls) installed.
> > On the User DSN tab, click Add.  Then select Microsoft Excel Driver and
> > Finish.  Give it a name, pick the .XLS file and version.  Once that is
> > created, you can use the DSN like any other ODBC connection.
> >
> > Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
> > VCI   www.twoplus.com
> > Springfield, MA
> >
> > "Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> > > I need to connect to a odbc connection to an excel workbook.
> > >
> > > Can anyone point me to some documentation on how this works.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > alan

0
Alan
6/16/2000 6:02:19 PM
I also am seeing an error code -3506 when I try to pipeline

Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote in message
> For your DW, be aware that you need to create a Named Range in your
> spreadsheet, with the first row being the column names.  Make sure that
you
> use UPPERCASE for the names.  And don't mix alpha and numeric data in the
> same column.  Both MS and Intersolv drivers cannot handle those.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn
>
> "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulh@SpamBakedBeansandSpamTwoplus.com> wrote in
> message news:Iojjnu51$GA.300@forums.sybase.com...
> > Alan,
> > All you need to do is set up an ODBC DSN for the Excel .XLS file.
> > In the ODBC Admin panel - go to the Drivers tab and see if you have
> > Microsoft Excel Driver(*.xls) installed.
> > On the User DSN tab, click Add.  Then select Microsoft Excel Driver and
> > Finish.  Give it a name, pick the .XLS file and version.  Once that is
> > created, you can use the DSN like any other ODBC connection.
> >
> > Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
> > VCI   www.twoplus.com
> > Springfield, MA
> >
> > "Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> > > I need to connect to a odbc connection to an excel workbook.
> > >
> > > Can anyone point me to some documentation on how this works.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > alan

0
Alan
6/16/2000 6:11:37 PM
string,number,name are your actual column names? They are most likely
reserved words.

--

> I con connect to the excel profile and show the sheets in the book.  I get
> the following error when i try to view tthe data
>
> syntax error near from clause.
>
> SELECT string,number,name from sheet1$
>
> string,number and name are are named ranges with all caps.
>

> Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote in message
> > For your DW, be aware that you need to create a Named Range in your
> > spreadsheet, with the first row being the column names.  Make sure that
> you
> > use UPPERCASE for the names.  And don't mix alpha and numeric data in
the
> > same column.  Both MS and Intersolv drivers cannot handle those.
> >
> > --
> > Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> > Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> > Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn
> >
> > "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulh@SpamBakedBeansandSpamTwoplus.com> wrote
in
> > message news:Iojjnu51$GA.300@forums.sybase.com...
> > > Alan,
> > > All you need to do is set up an ODBC DSN for the Excel .XLS file.
> > > In the ODBC Admin panel - go to the Drivers tab and see if you have
> > > Microsoft Excel Driver(*.xls) installed.
> > > On the User DSN tab, click Add.  Then select Microsoft Excel Driver
and
> > > Finish.  Give it a name, pick the .XLS file and version.  Once that is
> > > created, you can use the DSN like any other ODBC connection.
> > >
> > > Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
> > > VCI   www.twoplus.com
> > > Springfield, MA
> > >
> > > "Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message

0
Terry
6/16/2000 6:12:40 PM
You are loosing time with ODBC. Do a workaround with a Text or CSV file
format.
On several occasions I have found PB data exchange with Microsoft
products highly unreliable.
0
Andrzej
6/16/2000 6:20:50 PM
I created a new book and sheet with EMPLOYEE,RATE, AND HOURS

CREATE NAMED RANGES
CREATED A NEW ODBC AND PROFILE.
I still get the error.

I set the named range one cell at a time.  Is this correct?

alan
Alan Lehman <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> I con connect to the excel profile and show the sheets in the book.  I get
> the following error when i try to view tthe data
>
> syntax error near from clause.
>
> SELECT string,number,name from sheet1$
>
> string,number and name are are named ranges with all caps.
>

> Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote in message
> > For your DW, be aware that you need to create a Named Range in your
> > spreadsheet, with the first row being the column names.  Make sure that
> you
> > use UPPERCASE for the names.  And don't mix alpha and numeric data in
the
> > same column.  Both MS and Intersolv drivers cannot handle those.
> >
> > --
> > Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> > Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> > Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn
> >
> > "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulh@SpamBakedBeansandSpamTwoplus.com> wrote
in
> > message news:Iojjnu51$GA.300@forums.sybase.com...
> > > Alan,
> > > All you need to do is set up an ODBC DSN for the Excel .XLS file.
> > > In the ODBC Admin panel - go to the Drivers tab and see if you have
> > > Microsoft Excel Driver(*.xls) installed.
> > > On the User DSN tab, click Add.  Then select Microsoft Excel Driver
and
> > > Finish.  Give it a name, pick the .XLS file and version.  Once that is
> > > created, you can use the DSN like any other ODBC connection.
> > >
> > > Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
> > > VCI   www.twoplus.com
> > > Springfield, MA
> > >
> > > "Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message

0
Alan
6/16/2000 6:24:05 PM
with a text file, i can not control the commit to db.  I may have large
files.

Andrzej D Zaleski <gmsaxz@friko7.onet.pl> wrote in message
> You are loosing time with ODBC. Do a workaround with a Text or CSV file
> format.
> On several occasions I have found PB data exchange with Microsoft
> products highly unreliable.

0
Alan
6/16/2000 6:25:35 PM
The whole area of rows and columns that contain your data and that represent
one table you include in the named range.
This named range is what will show as the tablename in PB.  The first row in
this named range must contain the column names.
For more details, see the Connecting to your DB manual.

--

> I created a new book and sheet with EMPLOYEE,RATE, AND HOURS
>
> CREATE NAMED RANGES
> CREATED A NEW ODBC AND PROFILE.
> I still get the error.
>
> I set the named range one cell at a time.  Is this correct?
>
> alan
> Alan Lehman <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> > I con connect to the excel profile and show the sheets in the book.  I
get
> > the following error when i try to view tthe data
> >
> > syntax error near from clause.
> >
> > SELECT string,number,name from sheet1$
> >
> > string,number and name are are named ranges with all caps.
> >

> > Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote in message
> > > For your DW, be aware that you need to create a Named Range in your
> > > spreadsheet, with the first row being the column names.  Make sure
that
> > you
> > > use UPPERCASE for the names.  And don't mix alpha and numeric data in
> the
> > > same column.  Both MS and Intersolv drivers cannot handle those.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> > > Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> > > Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn
> > >
> > > "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulh@SpamBakedBeansandSpamTwoplus.com>
wrote
> in
> > > message news:Iojjnu51$GA.300@forums.sybase.com...
> and

0
Terry
6/16/2000 7:13:52 PM
THANKS.  I got it now.
> The whole area of rows and columns that contain your data and that
represent
> one table you include in the named range.
> This named range is what will show as the tablename in PB.  The first row
in
> this named range must contain the column names.
> For more details, see the Connecting to your DB manual.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn
>
> "Alan Lehman" <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> > I created a new book and sheet with EMPLOYEE,RATE, AND HOURS
> >
> > CREATE NAMED RANGES
> > CREATED A NEW ODBC AND PROFILE.
> > I still get the error.
> >
> > I set the named range one cell at a time.  Is this correct?
> >
> > alan
> > Alan Lehman <alan.lehman@midata.com> wrote in message
> > > I con connect to the excel profile and show the sheets in the book.  I
> get
> > > the following error when i try to view tthe data
> > >
> > > syntax error near from clause.
> > >
> > > SELECT string,number,name from sheet1$
> > >
> > > string,number and name are are named ranges with all caps.
> > >

> > > Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote in message
> that
> > > you
> > the

> wrote
> > in
Driver
> > and
> is

0
Alan
6/16/2000 7:52:19 PM
You mean you can commit a transaction to Excel?

Well well well:-)

I would not bet my head on it, but just try to rollback
your writes.

Don't be disappointed too much. ODBC also provides
drivers to text files, dBase III, etc. none of which supports
transactions.

Alan Lehman <alan.lehman@midata.com> napisa�(a) w artykule
> with a text file, i can not control the commit to db.  I may have large

0
Andrzej
6/17/2000 11:56:08 AM
no.  With the odbc solution, I can create a pipline object that controls the
commits to the destination db.(not excel)
Excel is going to be used for the input.

> You mean you can commit a transaction to Excel?
>
> Well well well:-)
>
> I would not bet my head on it, but just try to rollback
> your writes.
>
> Don't be disappointed too much. ODBC also provides
> drivers to text files, dBase III, etc. none of which supports
> transactions.
>
> Alan Lehman <alan.lehman@midata.com> napisa�(a) w artykule
> > with a text file, i can not control the commit to db.  I may have large

0
Alan

How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC?
Hi all I'm a newbie for PowerBuilder. I have some question. How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC? How can I use sql command (select, insert, etc) to Excel sheet? TIA >I'm a newbie for PowerBuilder. I have some question. >How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC? >How can I use sql command (select, insert, etc) to Excel sheet? >TIA It's been a while, but you need to install the odbc excel driver and then configure a datasource just like any other odbc datasource. You might check the faxback documents on the sybase web s...

PowerBuilder and Excel
Hello all...we are using PB9.03 under a Sybase ASA 9.0.2 DB. Does anyone know where I could find some cool sites that would explain how I could facilitate communication and data exchange operations between a PowerBuilder App and Excel using OLE? Any info would be greatly appreciated...:) On 13 Nov 2009 05:56:08 -0800, Mark wrote: Ther is no good Web sit for this sort of thing. I would suggest read the PB help iles carefully, and then read passed news group articles from this group. many people ha e asked qusions which are questions you will probably be asking. For more specific hel...

PowerBuilder and Excel
Hi, does anyone have any documentation on how to manipulate data in an Excel spreadsheet? I need to be able to read and write data there (not using a datawindow) I have some bits & pieces of documentation relating to: oleobject lole_excel lole_excel.ConnectToNewObject("Excel.Application") but I am looking for something more comprehensive which tells me how to set cell fonts, colors, formats, etc. Any ideas? Thanks PB 10.5.2 XP Pro You need to look at the help file that comes with the Excel VBA editor for that. Go into Excel, hit Alt-F11 and then F2. Sta...

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

Powerbuilder ODBC
Hello: I have a Powerbuilder database (extension file .db) and I want to open with SqlAnywhere ODBC, but I can't. (I don't know) Can you tell me how to do it please? thank you very much You have a SQLAnywhere database. PowerBuilder is a development tool that happens to include SQL Anywhere - PowerBuilder has no "database" of its own. What version of SQL Anywhere do you have? Paul Horan[TeamSybase] "Anne" <anmalo42@lycos.es> wrote in message news:46876fc4@forums-1-dub... > Hello: > I have a Powerbuilder database (extension file ....

excel from powerbuilder
Hi, I would like to open excel from powerbuilder using ole. From the research i did on sybase website, is it true that calling excel application won't work without the following code: [OLEObject].Application.Visible = true I am trying to run application in the background, open existing xls file, load data to cells and save same excel file. thanks. Wrong forum. Please post this to the ole-ocx-activex forum. -- Roy Excel wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to open excel from powerbuilder using ole. > From the research i did on sybase website, is it true t...

Excel to Powerbuilder
Hi all, Is there any way i can call powerbuilder event(Event in the frame window) from excel(ie.VBA) Ajaz ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Yes, if you create a PB OLEServer interface. "AJAZ" <AJAZ@givemyemail.com> wrote in message news:3f7ae2f9$1@forums-1-dub... > Hi all, > Is there any way i can call powerbuilder event(Event in the frame window) from > excel(ie.VBA) > > Ajaz > > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- > http://www.pfcguide.com/_n...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Powerbuilder
I am a new PB 6 developer. I want to create setup for my application exe. How do I do it using Installshield free. I have to copy sqlanywhere database to clients PC through the setup.I connect the DB through ODBC.Can anyone pl guide me. thanks. Shaikh moin If you are using ASA 6 then look in the Help... ASA User's Guide PART 4. Database Administration and Advanced Use CHAPTER 27. Deploying Databases and Applications Using a silent installation for deployment If you are using SQL Anywhere 5 try looking here... SQL Anywhere User's Guide ...

Powerbuilder
long ll_rc dw_1.SETTRANSOBJECT(SQLCA) dw_1.retrieve() g_ole_crx_application = create oleobject g_ole_crx_report = create oleObject g_ole_crx_connection_info = create oleObject Resultset lrs_resultset ADOResultset lrs_adoresultset oleobject loo_AdoRecordset DataStore lds_temp lds_temp =create Datastore lds_temp.Dataobject="dw_print" lds_temp.settransobject(sqlca) lds_temp.retrieve() lrs_resultset=create resultset ll_rc=lds_temp.generateresultset(lrs_resultset) lrs_adoresultset = create adoresultset ll_rc = lrs_adoresultset.SetResultset(lrs_resultset) loo_AdoRecords...

What is PowerBuilder?
Hello experts I am a student in CS, I am going to write a paper about Rapid application development using PowerBuilder. I need some articles about the arhitecture of PB and how PB fulfill rapid application development's requirement? Should any experts have such articles or journals, please kindly email. thank you very much! SOS -- Best Regards Reply Address->'mailto:seeker@netvigator.com' Paul Ho Why don't you visit http://www.powersoft.com and browse the products section. You will get a lot of information/white papers etc. If you're inte...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder ODBC to Excel - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles