Powerbuilder ODBC Connection Details

One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how
our application connects with their database.  Powerbuilder provides such
easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the
nuts and bolts of connecting.

When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc., does
the pb runtime expect to read?  Any other details are appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

0
Doug

1) The ODBC system files. This is so deeped rooted into the the Windows OS
that I cannot list the specific files. The ODBC system files are included in
MDAC, Microsoft Data Access Components. See
http://www.microsoft.com/data/whatcom.htm

2) The ODBC driver and other required files for the DBMS that is being used.
"Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message

> One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how
> our application connects with their database.  Powerbuilder provides such
> easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the
> nuts and bolts of connecting.
>
> When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc.,
does
> the pb runtime expect to read?  Any other details are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

0
Chris
1/2/2002 6:21:50 PM
When you specify SQLCA.DBMS= <something>.  PowerBuilder creates a DLL
name formed from "PB" + first three characters of <something> +
"70.DLL"  (or 80.DLL, etc. depending on version.  The LoadLibrary API
is used in PowerBuilder to load this DLL.  PBODB70.DLL is also
dynamically linked with ODBC32.DLL, which is the ODBC driver manager
from Microsoft.  From there it's really dependent on the individual
ODBC driver that's loaded - many require client libraries themselves
such as OpenClient for an ASE driver, SQL*Net for an Oracle driver,
etc.

If PowerBuilder cannot load PBODB70.DLL (and by extension ODBC32.DLL)
you get the familiar "DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current
installation' message.  If some other file is missing down the line
you will get an ODBC-generated message, which is typically something
cryptic like 'load of driver failed due to error 1167.'

For what it's worth, PowerBuilder does NOTHING with the DSN (or more
specifically, the ConnectString DBParm), it's just a piece of data
that's passed on directly to the ODBC driver itself.  PowerBuilder
doesn't understand what's in the string, just as the driver doesn't
understand when you put other DBParms, like DisableBind within the
ConnectString DBParm.

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 08:34:25 -0800, "Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com>
wrote:

>One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how
>our application connects with their database.  Powerbuilder provides such
>easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the
>nuts and bolts of connecting.
>
>When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc., does
>the pb runtime expect to read?  Any other details are appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Doug

0
joneil

ODBC Connections with PowerBuilder
This is actually a follow up to my previous "PB5.0 Connection to Watcom DB." We upgraded the PB libraries to 5.0.04 and were able to solve the "The allocation of the connection handle failed" problem. However, the "The command extension block could not be allocated" still happens when: 1) Start a PB application with an ODBC connection and leave it running. 2) Start and end a second PB application with an ODBC connection. 3) Repeat step 2 24 times. 4) When the second app is started the 25th time we get the "The command extension block could not ...

Powerbuilder
Can any one help with creating a connection to providex(Mas 90) database from Powerbuilder. I set up the profile using the Mas 90 data source , I am able to connect but get powerbuilder message saying it cannot create Catalog tables. I can only then see one table. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

OpenIngres-ODBC-Powerbuilder Connectivity
Hi, Can somebody help me with using Powerbuilder5/6 on win95 with OpenIngres 1.1 on VAX/VMS. The relevant details are as follows : I. Hardware & Software involved: --------------------------------- 1. VAX 4105 as the database server with VMS 5.5-2 2. Intel Pentium MMX 200 based PC (Digital 3100) with Microsoft Windows 95 ver 4.00.1111 3. Network protocol - TCP/IP on client as well as the server 4. OpenIngres 1.1 5. Powerbuilder 6.0/5.x 6. Intersolv ODBC drive for OpenIngres ver 3.00 7. OpenIngres/Net ver 1.2 on Windows 95 (includes Visual DBA) II. Activities carried...

Connecting to Access from Powerbuilder via ODBC
I am unable to connect to my Access 97 database from Powerbuilder 6.5 build 444. The error I'm getting is: SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manger] Program type out of range Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Vincent Vu vuv@gte.net I have the same problem to connect MS Access 2000 by using PowerBuilder 6.5. Do you have any solution to help me? if you have any solution please send e-mail to me. Thanks, E-mail: thomas_chow@wkk.com.hk ...

SQL Server and PowerBuilder ODBC connectivity
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4b2b552c Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi I am connecting to a remote SQL Server Database thru PB and when the connection to the application fails to connect, it throws the following error (see attached file). Can we prevent this message from comming and simply trap it thru the SQLCA object? TIA Sam ---=_forums-1-dub4b2b552c Content-Type: image/pjpeg; name="SQLServer.JPG" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; ...

ODBC for PowerBuilder connecting to Oracle 8
I've got a legacy PB4 application on Win 95 and 3x clients that I haven't been able to get to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5 database on Windows NT. PB4 isn't working properly with SQL*Net 2.3.3, the client that comes on the Oracle 8 CD. Would it be easier to use ODBC to connect than SQL*Net? Please advise. Most PB4 apps are 16 bit, and I'm guessing that the SQL*NET you have installed on that machine is 32 bit. You either need to (a) use a 32 bit version of SQL*NET or (b) install the 16 bit version of SQL*NET. (I would recommend the former of the two). Also, you need t...

Connect to Access with Powerbuilder via ODBC
I'm unable to connect to my Access 97 database using Powerbuilder 6.5 build 444. The error I'm getting is: SQLSTATE: S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manger]Program type out of range. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Vincent vuv@gte.net ...

Powerbuilder and ODBC connection to Progress database
We are trying to connect an application to a Progress database. Our application is written in PB 5.04. We have version 8.3E of Progress and would like to establish an ODBC connection to our application. We are able to connect to Progress but not in Powerbuilder or through our application. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Carol Burrows DBC SMARTSoftware, Inc carol_burrows@dbcsmartsoftware.com When you cannot connect, what error do you get? Can you connect outside of PowerBuilder via ODBC using MS Query or some other tool. The newer versions of ODBC Administrat...

Client Connections and PowerBuilder connections
What do I need to do to my NT box to be able to run a browser from a client machine to run the demo database/tutorial? I am able to run the demo from the NT server itself, but would like to test client connectivity. My client has browser capability. Furthermore, I am anticipating on using Jaguar as a middle tier for accepting communications from PowerBuilder. Jaguar would then take the SQL and pass the information onto a SYBASE SQL Server. I am not even concerned with any of the business logic that may be involved but am more interested in getting Jaguar to be a middle tier while...

Connection from PowerBuilder connects to Internet
We have a client who has experienced a problem I've seen posted on this forum but can't find now. When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I remember that it's a problem with their version of the winsock.dll, but I don't remember the recommended solution. Thanks for you help, James Clanton >When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their >connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I >rem...

PowerBuilder 9.0.1: Connect to Oracle Using the PowerBuilder Native Driver
Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be related to our production issue. http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11000397 http://info.sybase.com/resolution/detail.stm?id_number=11008896 Thanks in advance, John johnshi@yahoo.com The first one only affects the development environment, and the second one is only applicable to datawindows build with the old PBDBMS method. What problems are you having? On 12 Oct 2004 08:56:32 -0700, John Shi wrote: >Could anyone please email me this Solved Cases? It may be >related to our production i...

ORACLE procedures, PowerBuilder and connection via ODBC
Hi! My problem is: I have a procedure on ORACLE database: create procedure (as_name IN VARCHAR2, al_id IN OUT INTEGER); begin .... end; and I am connecting to ORACLE via ODBC. How can I execute such a procedure from Powerbuilder. I have tried to do this in all possible manners described in the documentation (RPCFUN, Declare, PBDBMS), but I have failed. There is always an error from database. I have succeded to execute this procedure when I was connecting via Native Driver, but I cannot use Nat...

How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC?
Hi all I'm a newbie for PowerBuilder. I have some question. How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC? How can I use sql command (select, insert, etc) to Excel sheet? TIA >I'm a newbie for PowerBuilder. I have some question. >How PowerBuilder to connect to Microsoft Excel via ODBC? >How can I use sql command (select, insert, etc) to Excel sheet? >TIA It's been a while, but you need to install the odbc excel driver and then configure a datasource just like any other odbc datasource. You might check the faxback documents on the sybase web s...

Powerbuilder 8.0.3 and Advantage ODBC connection
Hi, When i run a stand-alone datawindow which connects to an Advantage ODBC database, i can retrieve all the rows in a table. However, when i run this datawindow within an application. It returns only the first row of the table. I try to capture the number of returned rows and it's really the first row in the table. Thanks for any help! Set the retrieve blocking factor to 1 (the DBParm Block=1). On 1 Oct 2003 13:04:32 -0700, CongTan wrote: >Hi, >When i run a stand-alone datawindow which connects to an >Advantage ODBC database, i can retrieve all the rows in a ...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder ODBC Connection Details - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles