PowerBuilder Object Browser

Hi,

We are trying to use a third party dll in PowerBuilder 11.5 but we get an
error when trying to call any of the functions.
As well, when using the Object Browser in PowerBuilder there are no
functions visible in the NovaPdfOptions Programmable Object. However, the
funtions are visible when using the VB6 Object Browser.
What's so special in PB's com interface?
Here is a code example:

OLEObject m_NovaOptions
m_NovaOptions = create OLEObject

m_NovaOptions.ConnectToNewObject("NovaPdfOptions")

m_novaoptions.initialize("novaPDF for SDK v7","","","")

destroy m_NovaOptions

Thank you,

Manuel Agotici

0
magotici
1/13/2011 2:50:35 PM
sybase.powerbuilder.general 62418 articles. 11 followers. Follow

I suspect it might be hard to tell what's going wrong from here. (It seems you
think this might be an issue related to all COM, but it doesn't look familiar to
me.) The first thing I'd suggest is to capture the return value of the
ConnectToNewObject() call. Then we at least know if the issue is the connect
(and the return value may give us more specific information than just that) or
the function call. That may give you enough information to figure it out, or it
will give you more information to supply us with.

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten

On 13 Jan 2011 06:50:35 -0800,
 in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
magotici <magotici@labstat.com> wrote:

>We are trying to use a third party dll in PowerBuilder 11.5 but we get an
>error when trying to call any of the functions.
>As well, when using the Object Browser in PowerBuilder there are no
>functions visible in the NovaPdfOptions Programmable Object. However, the
>funtions are visible when using the VB6 Object Browser.
>What's so special in PB's com interface?
>Here is a code example:
>
>OLEObject m_NovaOptions
>m_NovaOptions = create OLEObject
>
>m_NovaOptions.ConnectToNewObject("NovaPdfOptions")
>
>m_novaoptions.initialize("novaPDF for SDK v7","","","")
>
>destroy m_NovaOptions
*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
1/13/2011 3:13:21 PM
The return code is 0.

Manuel Agotici

"Terry Voth [TeamSybase]" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>I suspect it might be hard to tell what's going wrong from here. (It seems
>you
> think this might be an issue related to all COM, but it doesn't look
> familiar to
> me.) The first thing I'd suggest is to capture the return value of the
> ConnectToNewObject() call. Then we at least know if the issue is the
> connect
> (and the return value may give us more specific information than just
> that) or
> the function call. That may give you enough information to figure it out,
> or it
> will give you more information to supply us with.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 13 Jan 2011 06:50:35 -0800,
> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
> magotici <magotici@labstat.com> wrote:
>
>>We are trying to use a third party dll in PowerBuilder 11.5 but we get an
>>error when trying to call any of the functions.
>>As well, when using the Object Browser in PowerBuilder there are no
>>functions visible in the NovaPdfOptions Programmable Object. However, the
>>funtions are visible when using the VB6 Object Browser.
>>What's so special in PB's com interface?
>>Here is a code example:
>>
>>OLEObject m_NovaOptions
>>m_NovaOptions = create OLEObject
>>
>>m_NovaOptions.ConnectToNewObject("NovaPdfOptions")
>>
>>m_novaoptions.initialize("novaPDF for SDK v7","","","")
>>
>>destroy m_NovaOptions
> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
magotici
1/13/2011 4:43:03 PM
I'm blind today.

Try

m_novaoptions.object.initialize("novaPDF for SDK v7","","","")

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten

On 13 Jan 2011 08:43:03 -0800,

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
1/13/2011 4:52:26 PM
I've already tryied that. Doesn't work either.

> I'm blind today.
>
> Try
>
> m_novaoptions.object.initialize("novaPDF for SDK v7","","","")
>
> Good luck,
>
> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>
> On 13 Jan 2011 08:43:03 -0800,
> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
> magotici <magotici@labstat.com> wrote:
>>The return code is 0.
>>
>>Manuel Agotici
>>

>>"Terry Voth [TeamSybase]" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>>>I suspect it might be hard to tell what's going wrong from here. (It
>>>seems
>>>you
>>> think this might be an issue related to all COM, but it doesn't look
>>> familiar to
>>> me.) The first thing I'd suggest is to capture the return value of the
>>> ConnectToNewObject() call. Then we at least know if the issue is the
>>> connect
>>> (and the return value may give us more specific information than just
>>> that) or
>>> the function call. That may give you enough information to figure it
>>> out,
>>> or it
>>> will give you more information to supply us with.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>>
>>> On 13 Jan 2011 06:50:35 -0800,
>>> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general

> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
magotici
1/13/2011 4:59:59 PM
Have you tried Initialize2()?

On 13 Jan 2011 08:59:59 -0800,

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry
1/13/2011 5:23:43 PM
I don't get the error message anymore after replacing initialize with
initialize2.

Do you have an explanation?

> Have you tried Initialize2()?
>
> On 13 Jan 2011 08:59:59 -0800,
> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
> magotici <magotici@labstat.com> wrote:
>>I've already tryied that. Doesn't work either.
>>
>>Manuel Agotici
>>
>>"Terry Voth [TeamSybase]" <sequel@techno-kitten.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm blind today.
>>>
>>> Try
>>>
>>> m_novaoptions.object.initialize("novaPDF for SDK v7","","","")
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten
>>>
>>> On 13 Jan 2011 08:43:03 -0800,
>>> in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general

> *********************************
> Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
> http://www.freerice.com
> *********************************
> Newsgroup User Manual
> =====================
> TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
> Forums = Peer-to-peer
> Forums <> Communication with Sybase
> IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
> Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
> *********************************
>
> Sequel's Sandbox: http://www.techno-kitten.com
> Home of PBL Peeper, a free PowerBuilder Developer's Toolkit.
> http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
> See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
> ^ ^
> o o
> =*=

0
magotici
1/13/2011 8:05:08 PM
Initialize() is expecting Unicode strings; Initialize2() is expecting ANSI
strings (at least that's the implication). I believe PB passes ANSI strings,
primarily for compatibility with older projects. I've got no idea if you can
control that; it'd be nice if you could.

Good luck,

Terry and Sequel the techno-kitten

On 13 Jan 2011 12:05:08 -0800,

*********************************
Build your vocabulary while feeding the hungry
http://www.freerice.com
*********************************
Newsgroup User Manual
=====================
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

http://www.techno-kitten.com/PreRelease411/setup.exe
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=
0
Terry

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Powerbuilder 5 to Powerbuilder 10

powerbuilder com object vs pocketbuilder .... object
Our powerbuilder application is sending information to a feeding machine by calling a com object. Our program now runs on a mobile device. The software is written with pocketbuilder 2.04. Now we would also like to have the connection with this feeding machine. I talked to the supplier of the feeding machine. He told me that the com object was written in Visual studio C. The simplest solution for them would be to create a .Net object. Is this the way to go? Thanks Eric Up on CodeXChange we have a handful of "adapter" layers (sometimes called "shims&quo...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris hi, I'v tested it yet, i couldn't use it with the global/local external functions declarations method. It could be that some components need to be initialized first and global/local e...

Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript??
From: "Chris Fauvel" <chris_fauvel@fintech.net> Subject: Calling a COM object from a PowerBuilder object's sript?? Date: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 2:33 PM I'm interested in knowing how to call somebody else's COM object written in C++ (it is a dual interface...what ever that it is) would we enter the information the same way we do for DLLs within the global/local external functions section for whatever object we want the function to be available? Any examples or direction to examples would be appreciated. Thanks Chris Use the C...

What is PowerBuilder?
Hello experts I am a student in CS, I am going to write a paper about Rapid application development using PowerBuilder. I need some articles about the arhitecture of PB and how PB fulfill rapid application development's requirement? Should any experts have such articles or journals, please kindly email. thank you very much! SOS -- Best Regards Reply Address->'mailto:seeker@netvigator.com' Paul Ho Why don't you visit http://www.powersoft.com and browse the products section. You will get a lot of information/white papers etc. If you're inte...

Powerbuilder
Is there some kind of construct in Powerbuilder 8 like the hashtable in Java? Jan Erik On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:11:15 +0100, "Jan Erik Hermansen" <jeh@susoft.no> wrote: The closest thing there is is the binary tree in the PFC. It's a little more work than a hashtable, but it works well enough. In a nutshell, you create a node and set the value and the key in it, then add the node to the tree. HTH, Larry Molter Diabetic Supply of USA >Is there some kind of construct in Powerbuilder 8 like the hashtable in >Java? > > >Jan Erik >...

Powerbuilder
long ll_rc dw_1.SETTRANSOBJECT(SQLCA) dw_1.retrieve() g_ole_crx_application = create oleobject g_ole_crx_report = create oleObject g_ole_crx_connection_info = create oleObject Resultset lrs_resultset ADOResultset lrs_adoresultset oleobject loo_AdoRecordset DataStore lds_temp lds_temp =create Datastore lds_temp.Dataobject="dw_print" lds_temp.settransobject(sqlca) lds_temp.retrieve() lrs_resultset=create resultset ll_rc=lds_temp.generateresultset(lrs_resultset) lrs_adoresultset = create adoresultset ll_rc = lrs_adoresultset.SetResultset(lrs_resultset) loo_AdoRecords...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Powerbuilder
We're developing a to-sell-system for the restaurants industry. The system has PC and handheld (PocketPC) interfaces. I would like to use PowerBuilder to develop the UI, but I need to know if it is supported the development for the handhelds interface too?? and which specialized (good looking) forms or buttons I could use for the development?? This forum is for source code control questions - better to post in the general forum.. -- Evita R. Chapa Senior Systems Analyst II Command Technologies, Inc. <Mynor_Paredes> wrote in message news:F5DFEA0D01AB9EB700...

Powerbuilder
I am a new PB 6 developer. I want to create setup for my application exe. How do I do it using Installshield free. I have to copy sqlanywhere database to clients PC through the setup.I connect the DB through ODBC.Can anyone pl guide me. thanks. Shaikh moin If you are using ASA 6 then look in the Help... ASA User's Guide PART 4. Database Administration and Advanced Use CHAPTER 27. Deploying Databases and Applications Using a silent installation for deployment If you are using SQL Anywhere 5 try looking here... SQL Anywhere User's Guide ...

Web resources about - PowerBuilder Object Browser - sybase.powerbuilder.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles